Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone any advice between these two laptops?

Comments

thas asus has only 4gb ram and it's soldered in so not upgradable so I'd skip it as you really want 8gb these days and into the future

the Huawei is all-metal more premium build

but I'd go for this laptop also made by Huawei (just a sub-brand). it's the same price

all-metal also and same cpu, ssd, ram but neater and has better battery life (bigger battery) than the matebook d 15.

use addresspal or similar to get deilvery to Ireland from Uk.

https://www.box.co.uk/products/keywords/magicbook/ex/true

Review of the magicbook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Cheers Glasso, I had actually a pm typed out to you yesterday asking for some advice on this very subject, (as incould tell this is something you seem to know a lot about) but then chickened out at the end as I didn't want to burden you with an uninvited task :p

Will be having a look online later - but if you think that will do the job I'd be happy enough with your recommendation.

As I said, it will never be under too much stress in this office, bit of excel, word, browsing etc, not even sure if what I'm picking out is overkill tbh.

I think that it's better if people post as opposed to pms.

I think that is a very nice laptop and is very well built, also portable and with fast charging.

should last a good few years.

for the quality offered it is very good value imo

a lot of people just look at specs but build-quality should also be high up on the list.

another factor is the thermal / cooling / fans design on that laptop. That, coupled with dual-channel ram means the max can be obtained out of that 3500u cpu - factors that are not apparent from just looking at the headline specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Glasso,
    does the laptop in the link above have WiFi?
    Its not stated?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Glasso,
    does the laptop in the link above have WiFi?
    Its not stated?
    Thanks as always

yes it does.

all laptops released in the last 15 years have wifi but if you're not confident on the subject no harm in asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

glasso wrote: »
    I think that it's better if people post as opposed to pms.

I think that is a very nice laptop and is very well built, also portable and with fast charging.

should last a good few years.

for the quality offered it is very good value imo

a lot of people just look at specs but build-quality should also be high up on the list.

another factor is the thermal / cooling / fans design on that laptop. That, coupled with dual-channel ram means the max can be obtained out of that 3500u cpu - factors that are not apparent from just looking at the headline specs.

Glasso, would you recommend that laptop for the following:

Coding (Python)
    Podcasting (recording/editing)
    Video editing (to a lesser extent than the above two)

I dithered over that Lenovo offer that was going around for the new IdeaPad 5 with Ryzen processor, and I'm kicking myself now. Even had it in my basket for €555.

Glasso, would you recommend that laptop for the following:

Coding (Python)
    Podcasting (recording/editing)
    Video editing (to a lesser extent than the above two)

I dithered over that Lenovo offer that was going around for the new IdeaPad 5 with Ryzen processor, and I'm kicking myself now. Even had it in my basket for €555.

will handle that no problem

it's a lot nicer build than the lenovo 5 and the newer amd cpu is mainly just bragging rights more than anything most people will never actually use to 100% regularly really.

it's a great little laptop universally well reviewed

will handle that no problem

it's a lot nicer build than the lenovo 5 and the newer amd cpu is mainly just bragging rights more than anything most people will never actually use to 100% regularly really.

it's a great little laptop universally well reviewed

Cheers. One other question. Can the 8Gb RAM be upgraded to 16gb if needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Where can I view this with the intel processor?

Cheers. One other question. Can the 8Gb RAM be upgraded to 16gb if needed?

no, it's soldered like a lot of laptops these days

tbh unless you are doing a lot of video editing at 4k (1080p fine) this laptop will be fine

• Advertisement

Craigels wrote: »
    Where can I view this with the intel processor?

seems to be only really available with the ryzen 5

it's a good cpu and runs well in this laptop

and has better graphics capability

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭sibersha

I'm looking for something in similar price range (maybe a bit cheaper), seen the below recently which looks like good value but not sure about build quality and one month delivery wait.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asus-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-ssd-14-inch-fhd-windows-10-laptop-a412da-ek609t/version.asp

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hello Everyone.

Could someone offer an opinion on this Lenovo machine which I saw while looking at the Honor Magicbook.
    https://www.box.co.uk/81V5001AUK-Lenovo-V155-15API_2808677.html#DetailTop

Stay safe.
    Thanks.
    Tony.

sibersha wrote: »
    I'm looking for something in similar price range (maybe a bit cheaper), seen the below recently which looks like good value but not sure about build quality and one month delivery wait.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asus-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-ssd-14-inch-fhd-windows-10-laptop-a412da-ek609t/version.asp

Any thoughts?

plastic vs metal

non ips screen

cpu won't run as well as in the honor (thermals)

battery not as big as honor

no, it's soldered like a lot of laptops these days

tbh unless you are doing a lot of video editing at 4k (1080p fine) this laptop will be fine

Thanks. And one final question. I can get the below spec'd laptop from Lenovo for €575 (which is €40 cheaper than the Honor). How do the two compare? Am I wrong to lean towards the Lenovo because it has 16GB over the 8GB of the Honor?

Configuration Details
    Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (2.30GHz, Max Boost up to 4.0GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache )
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Preload Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Office : Microsoft Office Trial
    Color : Platinum Grey
    Selectable Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM
    Total Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, 2.5", TLC
    Optical Device : Dummy ODD Platinum Grey
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, 220nits, Anti-glare, No touch
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Keyboard : Keyboard Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 720p HD Camera with Single Microphone
    Surface Treatment : IMR
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 36Wh
    Power Adapter : 65W Wall Mount AC Adapter (2pin)-UK
    WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Wireless 1x1 AC, Bluetooth Version 4.1 or above
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

Ordered the magicbook from box UK

Thanks. And one final question. I can get the below spec'd laptop from Lenovo for €575 (which is €40 cheaper than the Honor). How do the two compare? Am I wrong to lean towards the Lenovo because it has 16GB over the 8GB of the Honor?

Configuration Details
    Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (2.30GHz, Max Boost up to 4.0GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache )
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Preload Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Office : Microsoft Office Trial
    Color : Platinum Grey
    Selectable Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM
    Total Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, 2.5", TLC
    Optical Device : Dummy ODD Platinum Grey
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, 220nits, Anti-glare, No touch
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Keyboard : Keyboard Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 720p HD Camera with Single Microphone
    Surface Treatment : IMR
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 36Wh
    Power Adapter : 65W Wall Mount AC Adapter (2pin)-UK
    WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Wireless 1x1 AC, Bluetooth Version 4.1 or above
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

only if you need 16gb - do you?
    nothing in it the the cpu
    the build quality of the magicbook is excellent - all-metal chassis.
    220 nits is not very bright - will appear dark.
    it's not ips
    battery is very small.

don't do it

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.

Could someone offer an opinion on this Lenovo machine which I saw while looking at the Honor Magicbook.
    https://www.box.co.uk/81V5001AUK-Lenovo-V155-15API_2808677.html#DetailTop

Stay safe.
    Thanks.
    Tony.

Anyone please ?

Thank you.

Anyone please ?

Thank you.

inferior build quality (plastic vs metal chassis), screen (non-ips) and battery life. has a bigger ssd yes.

same cpu but it runs better in the honor due to better thermal design

honor magicbook 14 / matebook d 14 easily worth the extra £40 or £50

inferior build quality (plastic vs metal chassis), screen (non-ips) and battery life. has a bigger ssd yes.

same cpu but it runs better in the honor due to better thermal design

honor magicbook 14 / matebook d 14 easily worth the extra £40 or £50

Thanks glasso.
    Its appreciated.

• Advertisement

thas asus has only 4gb ram and it's soldered in so not upgradable so I'd skip it as you really want 8gb these days and into the future

the Huawei is all-metal more premium build

but I'd go for this laptop also made by Huawei (just a sub-brand). it's the same price

all-metal also and same cpu, ssd, ram but neater and has better battery life (bigger battery) than the matebook d 15.

use addresspal or similar to get deilvery to Ireland from Uk.

https://www.box.co.uk/products/keywords/magicbook/ex/true

Review of the magicbook

Am about to pull the pin on it, just hanging on for a pm ref one of the Lenovos from the other thread (someone ordered a metal palm rest and also ordered a standard so might be one going for cost) if that falls through, I'll get this one.

Just letting you know Argos UK are the same price as these lads but with 3.95 delivery, just wondering if there's any benefit to ordering from box v Argos?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7449310

McMurphy wrote: »
    Am about to pull the pin on it, just hanging on for a pm ref one of the Lenovos from the other thread (someone ordered a metal palm rest and also ordered a standard so might be one going for cost) if that falls through, I'll get this one.

Just letting you know Argos UK are the same price as these lads but with 3.95 delivery, just wondering if there's any benefit to ordering from box v Argos?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7449310

I managed to get the Huawei Matebook 14 (same laptop) from Amazon with free shipping through Prime.

yes matebook d currently £540 (+ a bit more Irish VAT at checkout = £553)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-MateBook-2020-Multi-Screen-Collaboration/dp/B083T5HFPX/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=matebook%2Bd14&qid=1589919175&sr=8-4&th=1

as Amazon's service is usually so good could be worth going for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Honor having a sale tomorrow I think, laptop for 549, with a free backpack and 2nd generation smart watch.

They also have money off vouchers and free delivery to the UK.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Honor having a sale tomorrow I think, laptop for 549, with a free backpack and 2nd generation smart watch.

They also have money off vouchers and free delivery to the UK.

What site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

It's on the honor website itself..seems they are launching a UK site from what I gather. You can spin a wheel to win a coupon which you can use then. I got a £15 one so will use it. Might try to shift the watch as have a Garmin already.

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    It's on the honor website itself..seems they are launching a UK site from what I gather. You can spin a wheel to win a coupon which you can use then. I got a £15 one so will use it. Might try to shift the watch as have a Garmin already.

link to the honor website itself uk ordering part?

edit - found it

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-14#18244166142598

link to the honor website itself uk ordering part?

edit - found it

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-14#18244166142598

Sorry was on the mobile. Seems a good offer.

You can have 3 spins but you won't get more than a £15 voucher.

• Advertisement

You can have 3 spins but you won't get more than a £15 voucher.

Yeah got the 5,10,15..doubt you can stack them though and use in one go?

the deal with the included smartwatch and backpack is excellent and not to be missed if you're in the market for a new laptop.

even if don't want/need the smartwatch you could fairly easily sell it for €100 as it's a good one and costs £130 new

so if you get a £15 voucher that's £535 + addresspal etc for the lot

Yeah got the 5,10,15..doubt you can stack them though and use in one go?

The coupons are for different amounts bought.
    To use the $15 one you need to spend over $150. €10 over €100 & €5 over €50.

You could probably use only one coupon per order.

the deal with the included smartwatch and backpack is excellent and not to be missed if you're in the market for a new laptop.

even if don't want/need the smartwatch you could fairly easily sell it for €100 as it's a good one and costs £130 new

I presume you could also use DPD in NI ?

Also there seems to be only the 256Gb SSD available.
    You can get the Huawei version with a 512Gb SSD on Amazon for £50 more but not with the watch of course.

I presume you could also use DPD in NI ?

Also there seems to be only the 256Gb SSD available.
    You can get the Huawei version with a 512Gb SSD on Amazon for £50 more but not with the watch of course.

ssd is user up-gradable (clicks in and out) down the line of course. you're not stuck with that size forever.

it also has a memory card reader so you could stick an sd card for storage of media files etc which would be ok for that sort of file storage

ssd is user up-gradable (clicks in and out) down the line of course. you're not stuck with that size forever.

it also has a memory card reader so you could stick an sd card for storage of media files etc which would be ok for that sort of file storage

I didn't realise SSD was click-in/out. This is great news. I got the 256GB version, so it's good to know I can do that in future.

• Advertisement

I couldn't see any memory card reader ?
    I wouldn't have minded paying an extra £50 for a 512GB SSD option.

Yeah my mind's made up, buying this (if I get the Lenovo it'll be an added) cheers Glasso.

Can't seem to buy until tomorrow, 10am though?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah my mind's made up, buying this (if I get the Lenovo it'll be an added) cheers Glasso.

Can't seem to buy until tomorrow, 10am though?

Yep correct.

Agree might try and sell the honor watch, might get 80/100 quids for it. Would end up a good deal then. Seen they were giving free earbuds on the french site. Probably would have kept the buds if they were part of the offer but waiting on a delivery of Tronsmart ace earphones anyway.

I couldn't see any memory card reader ?
    I wouldn't have minded paying an extra £50 for a 512GB SSD option.

actually yep, no sd card reader.

Bought the space grey one with the bag and watch for £535,

The silver one didn't appear to be available to me, and wouldn't you know as soon as I paid - it was. :mad:

Might have a look and see if there's a chat function available that will let me switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Was lucky enough to get the silver.

Probably try sell the watch, as I doubt I'll use it.

€590 all in, happy with that.

Two things stopped me from buying.
    The lack of a card reader & no option to chooses a 512GB SSD.
    Sure I could have probably sold the watch but I'd have given that up for a card reader & a larger SSD.
    Good luck to everyone who bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 onsite

anybody go with this and not receive an email confirmation? I got an order confirmation which i didn't keep expecting to receive e-mail confirmation but haven't received anything, I can see the payment is pending on my credit card. Have tried contacting customer support but it timed out on their side. anybody have the same issue? I cant see anything in my Honor account either that i created.

onsite wrote: »
    anybody go with this and not receive an email confirmation? I got an order confirmation which i didn't keep expecting to receive e-mail confirmation but haven't received anything, I can see the payment is pending on my credit card. Have tried contacting customer support but it timed out on their side. anybody have the same issue? I cant see anything in my Honor account either that i created.

No I got an email straight away, took a while for the order to show up on the account though.

onsite wrote: »

I was watching & they seem to have run out of them pretty quick so maybe that's it ?

You can still order them onsite but delivery date is 27th May for the silver & 3rd June for the grey.

I was watching & they seem to have run out of them pretty quick so maybe that's it ?

You can still order them onsite but delivery date is 27th May for the silver & 3rd June for the grey.

not surprising.

it's a fantastic deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 onsite

Actually the confirmation e-mail went to my wifes e-mail address as its her account for delivery via Parcel Motel. I was able to eventually see the order in my honor account as pending delivery so think I'm good, looking forward to getting this now plus the watch! :)

We got the space grey honor magicbook 14 and we are thrilled with it. The build quality is excellent. Its so lightweight and portable. Battery seems good but would need to test more. Only negative is the pop up camera but we knew about that before ordering. All in all we are very ease with it. We ordered from box and delivery was very quick to Ireland. Thanks for your reccomendation and help.

not surprising.

it's a fantastic deal.

Temptation was to great so splashed out on a silver one on the HONOR Uk site.
    As you said "fantastic deal"
    You wouldn't get anything like it for the money anywhere else.
    And with the watch added in was a no brainer.

The only difficulty I had was trying to get my full DPD Parcel Wizard address in.
    Fifty characters between address line 1 & 2 meant any proper punctuation went out the window.
    Have no idea where the fifty character limit came from ?

Temptation was to great so splashed out on a silver one on the HONOR Uk site.
    As you said "fantastic deal"
    You wouldn't get anything like it for the money anywhere else.
    And with the watch added in was a no brainer.

The only difficulty I had was trying to get my full DPD Parcel Wizard address in.
    Fifty characters between address line 1 & 2 meant any proper punctuation went out the window.
    Have no idea where the fifty character limit came from ?

Looks like at least another 7-10 days before delivery :( asked on livechat this morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement