Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting work laptop

Options
  • 03-05-2020 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

So I've been offered an office job. My first ever job in an office and I'm gonna be set up with a laptop.
    Now for the time being it seems il have to work from home but down the line I'll obviously have to go to office at some point.
    So my question is what's the best way to transport it? My previous deauville I just ****ed my work tools into the top box and off I went. Now I have a gsx1400 with a top box But with a laptop I can see it being thrown around the top box .
    Would a decent backpack with padding protect the laptop? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

If you have a top box and the laptop fits why not put a blanket or something soft to ensure it doesn't move about?
    Alternatively check out the kriega brand for motorbike laptop bags

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Any decent rucksack will do the job, believe me, I have brought my laptop in a variety of backs, laptops are quite resilient. My route is 50km each way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I put my laptop in my laptop rucksack and throw it in the topbox twice a day commuting and never had an issue. Most laptops these days won't have a spinning HDD like they used to so they're not as vulnerable as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Just get what I’ve been using for years, a 100% waterproof cover, like this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006542PRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just make sure it the right size, then lob it into a back box, or bag and it’s protected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm using this. Laptop sleeve in it. It'll throw off a shower too but laptop goes in large ziplock bag for rain.

https://www.xlmoto.ie/mc-gear/bags_c2568/backpacks_c2024/xlmoto-slipstream-water-resistant-mc-backpack_pid-PM-3992189?nosto=is-startpage-topsellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I'm using this. Laptop sleeve in it. It'll throw off a shower too but laptop goes in large ziplock bag for rain.

https://www.xlmoto.ie/mc-gear/bags_c2568/backpacks_c2024/xlmoto-slipstream-water-resistant-mc-backpack_pid-PM-3992189?nosto=is-startpage-topsellers
    Seconded - comfy as well, you'd hardly know it was on ya although I have to admit the belt at the waist was a bit short for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You wont need a rucksack on your back, you will need a laptop back however to put it in. Whatever type fits the laptop, they may even provide one.

Put that in your topbox. Ive been putting my laptop in my topbox 5 years(in its bag) and its perfect.

Putting rucksacks on your back when you have a topbox available.... why???

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Lidl bag in a soft garment in your top box.

(I had a laptop fall off the back of my bike years ago going down the East Wall Road in Dublin, when a cargo net failed. Not a problem.)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Topbox is the safest for both you and the laptop if it is a dry bag style cover to ensure it's kept dry. Just make sure it doesn't bounce around. Use a good laptop case and pad it out with protection either side of the laptop. Polystyrene blocks from old packaging can be used to wedge it in place.

I've no topbox and have been using my backpack for the past few years. However, I would advise that you have a back protector just in case you come off. You never know what way you would land if you came off. Also I loosen the backpack enough so that it rests slightly on the back seat. This takes some of the strain off your back.

Finally, from experience, ensure that your laptop has fully shut down before sealed in airtight bag and leave fan port on side facing up in bag. I've shut it down in a rush and fan has still kept running. It can cause the laptop to overheat and shorten it's lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks lads. Best bet seems to get a bag that fits the laptop and pad it in the top box. The polystyrene blocks sounds good
    That xl moto bag looks handy, be good to use something like that since in case i need a bit of shopping i can stick that bag on my back and shopping in the top box.
    @Skill magill , that bag protect the laptop in a top box ye? Pics dont look like its the most protected.lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^

It’s padded but I bought mine for the waterproofing, It will stay dry if you submerge it. I’d be more worried about that tbh. As it happens, I have one of those moto bags too, but wouldn’t trust it in a downpour. As he others said just pad it with something in your box to stop it rattling around. The sleeve isn’t a hard shell but does offer a it of protection.

Advertisement