Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to compost sods and about robins

Options
  • 03-05-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭

OK.

I am digging up a small lawn in front garden. I am cutting out the sods and shovelling a lot of the soil from underneath them as I go as I want to keep as much soil as possible. Minus a lot of the soil the sods are lighter.

I could put what remains of the sods in the brown bin but I see this as a terrible thing. So I am bringing them to the back around the trees which are in a soily area already to compost down.

A few questions as I am getting contradictory information from different sources.

Does it matter from a composting point of view if I spread out the sods , lets say at most two or three on top of each other and spread them out as much as possible or should I stack them as high as possible? Which way will compost faster?

Also how long will it take for them to compost down? And should I just leave them in the open area or should I cover with a sheet ?

Robins.
    Usually when I am in the garden digging a robin comes to my foot. I was struck recently when not one but two robins came to my foot. How extraordinary they were at picking out the smallest of worms. I couldn't even see them and I am sure they were under the soil. I was amazed at how adept they were.
    Two robins is unusual as I think they are solitary birds and aggressive too. No sooner than the two had appeared than they started what appeared to me fighting each other. Or would they have been courting? But a strange sight to behold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

bobbyss wrote: »
    OK.

Robins.
    Usually when I am in the garden digging a robin comes to my foot. I was struck recently when not one but two robins came to my foot. How extraordinary they were at picking out the smallest of worms. I couldn't even see them and I am sure they were under the soil. I was amazed at how adept they were.
    Two robins is unusual as I think they are solitary birds and aggressive too. No sooner than the two had appeared than they started what appeared to me fighting each other. Or would they have been courting? But a strange sight to behold.

Male and female robins are identical, so I'd say what you have is a breeding pair. There's probably a nest somewhere about. But yes, normally solitary and territorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Ideally stack the sods as high as they'll go and cover with a plastic sheet.

Takes a while to break down but the result is the most wonderful soil for compost.

Thats part of the process the used to use to make compost before peat was readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had the same thing with the two robins doing the same thing in our garden. Very 'friendly' (its anthropomorphic to describe them as friendly, but they certainly give that impression when they are hungry) We couldn't understand why they were both in the same area, didn't realise the male and females are identical. They did the usual robin eejity thing of putting their first attempt at a nest - with three eggs - in a hole in the lawn that was so accessible it was ridiculous. I think they have gone off to try again somewhere a bit more discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭bobbyss

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Ideally stack the sods as high as they'll go and cover with a plastic sheet.

Takes a while to break down but the result is the most wonderful soil for compost.

Thats part of the process the used to use to make compost before peat was readily available.

OK I intend to stack them up green on soil etc. But I had read that you need to fork stuff that you are composting or turn it over once in a while. This would be almost impossible with soil as I understand they are better if they are laid down grass on soil, grass, soil and layered up like that. So turning them over would destroy that pattern.

How long do you think I would have to wait for it to compost down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

What a lovely opening post..Robins are mad these days!

Anyway Ginsoaked is spot on, it's all about height and weight and heat. No need to turn over sod as it decomposes.
    How long it takes is nature's decision, but it will decompose faster at the bottom so that's the place to check and remove from.

• Advertisement

Quick query. I am taking out the lawn and I have noticed the soil is full of stones and rocks. You can hardly put a spade into it. With all the rocks and stones taken out, there are large spaces left to fill in and I was wondering could I dump in the sods of lawn that I have into the gaps and cover over with the soil? Wouldn't they they compost away underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

bobbyss wrote:
    Quick query. I am taking out the lawn and I have noticed the soil is full of stones and rocks. You can hardly put a spade into it. With all the rocks and stones taken out, there are large spaces left to fill in and I was wondering could I dump in the sods of lawn that I have into the gaps and cover over with the soil? Wouldn't they they compost away underneath?

I'm no expert, far from it. But sounds reasonable if you break it up as much as possible with spade. Then cover, should make wonderful soil. From dust to dust

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could find yourself with clumps of grass and weeds growing again, if the sods you've removed have lots of roots. It'd be like trying to kill a mole by burying it alive, IMO. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OK I intend to stack them up green on soil etc. But I had read that you need to fork stuff that you are composting or turn it over once in a while. This would be almost impossible with soil as I understand they are better if they are laid down grass on soil, grass, soil and layered up like that. So turning them over would destroy that pattern.

How long do you think I would have to wait for it to compost down?

The problem with sods is that they will decompose rather that compost.
    Decomposing takes a lot longer, could be years, whereas composting can take as little as 3 months with the correct conditions. (oxygen, nitrogen, carbon, heat, bacteria, water, etc)

Quick Query (2)
    I have a pile of sods in the garden and arranged soil on grass, grass ion soil. They are covered over and I am only waiting for it to compost down. But i read that if you have a compost pile it is good to turn it over once in a while (how often?) and give it a watering also. But what about the idea of the sods all placed grass on soil facing each other etc. If I turn the whole thing over this will ruin all that structure. Or does it matter as long as it is covered? Any advice? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

You don't turn a stack of sods it would fall to bits. The point is that you can stack them because of the shape if they were cut correctly and a stack of sods takes up less space. Really the only point is if you want good compost soil at the end of it.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    You don't turn a stack of sods it would fall to bits. The point is that you can stack them because of the shape if they were cut correctly and a stack of sods takes up less space. Really the only point is if you want good compost soil at the end of it.

Turning over a stack of sods would speed up the composting process surely ? It doesn't matter to me in the least if the shape fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You don't exactly "compost" sods, a lot of it is soil already.
    But you can add some broken bits to a compost bin or pile because it adds a community of soil microbes, yeasts, and so on. Too much will make your compost heavy, and is not necessary.

Almost any way that you stack them they will go back to being ordinary earth quite quickly. If you chop the grass with a spade it will be all the quicker.
    Lay them grass side down for faster decomposing. If you want to use them for filling in gaps, or levelling hollows etc, you absolutely can: lay them on with grass side down, it will be fine. They may sink a little as the plant material decomposes.

I totally applaud your reluctance to waste any bit of good soil!

If you see several robins all foraging together, they may be a family or young clutch of siblings, not yet dispersed to find their own territories.

Advertisement