Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangers of repairing a microwave

Options
  • 03-05-2020 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Is it alright for someone who is not an electrician to attempt to repair a microwave. The microwave in my parents house is broken but they don't want to pay to fix it.

I've heard contradictory advice, online people say that it's a bad idea to attempt repairs but others say it's safe so long as you read up/watch enough videos on it.

I should add that once I changed the fuse on a microwave I owned but got a nasty shock from the HV capacitor that left my arms in pain for 10 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Please please do, report back if your sucessful and if so I will break a few more for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've never seen this form before, never mind posted in it but when a thread with a question like that comes up, and you see who started it, you just have to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Is it alright for someone who is not an electrician to attempt to repair a microwave. The microwave in my parents house is broken but they don't want to pay to fix it.

I've heard contradictory advice, online people say that it's a bad idea to attempt repairs but others say it's safe so long as you read up/watch enough videos on it.

I should add that once I changed the fuse on a microwave I owned but got a nasty shock from the HV capacitor that left my arms in pain for 10 minutes.

What makes you think an electrician would be able to fix a microwave?
    My personal opinion would be that it belongs in the recycling centre and your parents should either do without a microwave or fork out for a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Just replace it much safer for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

its €80 for a new one, dear god some people are stingy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you don't know what youre doing then don't go near it, someone might get hurt. It's really not worth it.

If my micro died outside of warranty, I'd have a quick Google of the make/model to check if there was nothing obvious but other than that I'd be buying a new one. No way would I be opening it up 'blind'.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

OP. I shall try to help.

It seems rhat your parents may have limited resources to arrange repairs or replacement.

You say that it does not work

Perhaps check initially does the power outlet socket (try plugging in a table light to the outlet to confirm)

How old and make of the microwave?

(I hope that the Moderator can block unhelpful remarks above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Quite honestly, if it's a simple microwave there's very little in them that's user serviceable and they're quite dangerous to repair:

1. High voltages.
    2. Risk of burns from microwaves if you the magnetron to be somehow exposed.
    3. beryllium oxide insulator in the magnetron is potentially toxic / carcinogenic if broken up and really shouldn't be touched at all.
    4. Risk of issues afterwards in case of any reassembly errors.

They're generally designed to be disposed of and replaced. You'll pick up a microwave starting at about €49.00 and even in places like Tesco.

In general you won't even be able to buy replacement parts for most of the cheaper ones. Something like a complicated combination oven costing hundreds is designed to be repairable. A simple microwave, is basically disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Unless its a very good make with stainless innards I'd look for a decent second hand one adverts / donedeal.
    Xertz wrote: »
    They're generally designed to be disposed of and replaced. You'll pick up a microwave starting at about €49.00 and even in places like Tesco.

Sure you'll pick up one for €50 that won't fit a dinner plate in it and the recycled bean tins in it will rust out internally in 2 years.

Better off getting a decent one second hand

Our inherited sharp is at least 20 years old has only needed 3 bulbs in that time and you can still get parts for it.

The magnetron is fatal if you make the pink bit airborne. If there's a gap in the seal between the oven and atmosphere in reassembly that might kill ya too...other than that I see no problems having a go...oh yeah! discharge the capacitors first...they'll kill ya too if you catch them the wrong way..

Loadsa useful parts inside...no messin'! Switches, HV transformers for spot welding, good magnets, sheet metal...I'm broken a few...never tried fixing one though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

There ye go, 20 quid. The parts for a repair would cost more

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/163771786422

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

They are 50 quid for a new one in power city.
    https://powercity.ie/product/980543
    Trip to the recycle yard for it mate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

electricians won't touch a microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The magnetron is fatal if you make the pink bit airborne. If there's a gap in the seal between the oven and atmosphere in reassembly that might kill ya too...other than that I see no problems having a go...oh yeah! discharge the capacitors first...they'll kill ya too if you catch them the wrong way..

Loadsa useful parts inside...no messin'! Switches, HV transformers for spot welding, good magnets, sheet metal...I'm broken a few...never tried fixing one though..

Was just about to post similar, Its only a magnetron, that in its intact state releases controlled and directed ionizing radiation into a Faraday cage.
    In its exposed state, carcinogenic insulation and unshielded ionizing radiation?
    Couple that with some very high capacity capacitors...

Shur what could go wrong if we let the village idiot at it with a hammer ;)
    This is a level of thick beyond even Andy!

God, I miss Andy!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,462 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t even waste your time answering this. This is more low level trolling and attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

They are 50 quid for a new one in power city.
    https://powercity.ie/product/980543
    Trip to the recycle yard for it mate

€50 but it will break your heart. 20l microwave won't even take a normal sized dinner plate and the painted interior on that will be rusting at the seams after a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

There ye go, 20 quid. The parts for a repair would cost more

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/163771786422

LOL thats a replica for kids to play with it doesn't actually work :D

Casdon has been renowned for toy innovation for over 65 years

Same item on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casdon-Morphy-Richards-Microwave-Multicoloured/dp/B01GEIP15A - Morphy Richards logo Requires 3 x AA batteries (not included)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Is there a risk of getting cataracts if you unscrew the magnetron from the metallic frame and try to operate it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭65535

Check the fuse in the plug and ensure that the electrical socket that it is plugged in to is working.
    Other than that we are now living in a 'built in obsolescence' society where anything electrical is recycled after a short period of use.

Depends on what you buy.
    I boycott Apple, Lidly-Aldi tools, slim laptops, high frequency inverters, cheap & nasty white goods.

My workshop is full of Makita's, Milwaulkee, DeWalt and 10yo low frequency inverters and solar controllers for oil rigs.

I buy Jap cars, 20yo German LGV & HGV and phones with replacable batteries.

We are all accountable, we vote with our wallets.

Is there a risk of getting cataracts if you unscrew the magnetron from the metallic frame and try to operate it?

Try it and let us know how you get on.

aido79 wrote: »
    Try it and let us know how you get on.

I remember my teacher in school saying you'd be alerted to the danger of microwave energy as it's incredibly painful. It stimulates pain receptors (and is actually used by the US military in crowd control).

The human eye is in the top 5 parts of the human body in regards to nerve endings so you'd feel the pain before the microwaves vitrified your aqueous humor

I remember my teacher in school saying you'd be alerted to the danger of microwave energy as it's incredibly painful. It stimulates pain receptors (and is actually used by the US military in crowd control).

The human eye is in the top 5 parts of the human body in regards to nerve endings so you'd feel the pain before the microwaves vitrified your aqueous humor

Does that mean you're not going to try it?

aido79 wrote: »
    Does that mean you're not going to try it?

Nah, i don't fancy cataracts and immense pain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Cataracts will be the least of your worries if you try that in fact you probably won't have any worries.... ever

Cataracts will be the least of your worries if you try that in fact you probably won't have any worries.... ever

Have a look at some of his other posts. I doubt the microwave even exists and if it does there's next to no chance of him taking a screwdriver to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm sure Optimus Prime defeated Megatron in the 80s anyway so no risk there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement