Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking on the rims around the spoke nipples.

Options
  • 03-05-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭

a8KXxQv.jpg

wHWk2GB.jpg

XOtG9jx.jpg

AuJPjxO.jpg

I noticed these tension cracks around the spokes today affecting about 4 holes sequentially on the rear wheel. It's an WTB ST i19 TCS 700c aluminium rim from a Kona Sutra 2019 touring bike that is 9 months old and about 6,000 KM on it. They have only appeared in the last week and all of my riding is on paved roads and occasional pot holes. I will need to get the rim replaced. Load wise this would be typically be carrying 110 to 120 KG. (myself + shopping or work gear).

What I want to know from your experience the most likely cause for this would a view to preventing it happen again, possibly there are a combination of reasons.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was the wheel ever trued after you bought it? you're getting it replaced under warranty, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

No. It has never been trued, never gave it a thought since there is no perceptible wobble on wheel. I will have to wait for the lockdown to lift before I can get it replaced under warranty.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where did you buy it? a lot of bike shops are operating repair services based on appointment, as this is allowed. i would expect this would qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

a8KXxQv.jpg

wHWk2GB.jpg

XOtG9jx.jpg

AuJPjxO.jpg

I noticed these tension cracks around the spokes today affecting about 4 holes sequentially on the rear wheel. It's an WTB ST i19 TCS 700c aluminium rim from a Kona Sutra 2019 touring bike that is 9 months old and about 6,000 KM on it. They have only appeared in the last week and all of my riding is on paved roads and occasional pot holes. I will need to get the rim replaced. Load wise this would be typically be carrying 110 to 120 KG. (myself + shopping or work gear).

What I want to know from your experience the most likely cause for this would a view to preventing it happen again, possibly there are a combination of reasons.

120kg shouldn't be an issue with a touring wheelset.

140kg or so is typically the maximum weight recommended for a touring wheelset.

Likely reason is poor quality build. Tensions not even and 4 drive side spokes finally cracking rim after 270000 cycles or so.

Look for warranty and find and pay a good wheel builder to check, tension and stress relief spokes on new wheel before you use it.

Advertisement