Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router

• 03-05-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I have Vodafone internet at home using there standard router that they supply.

Is it worth changing out the router to a better one to maybe gain better signal, faster download speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, you should probably outlining me what your experience is with the existing router is, from a speed perspective and a coverage perspective.

Obviously you have issues, so what are they ?

It's a bit like me saying I have a Ford mondeo, should I change it ? Well, am I happy with the mondeo, what do I not like about it, is it big enough or too big, what about the fuel effeciency ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Generally I would say NO. Router supplied by BB provider might not have the greatest wifi coverage but extremely unlikely you will get fast BB speeds.

In fact, I proved that an expensive Fritzbox router was considerably slower than the Eir provided F1000 on VDSL2+. (By 20mbps).

Best thing you can do to get faster speeds is in fact to sort out the telephone wiring in the home - 90% of people's houses I've surveyed have had extra cabling to long gone extensions etc and wired in parallel - they kill connection speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Deagol wrote: »
    In fact, I proved that an expensive Fritzbox router was considerably slower than the Eir provided F1000 on VDSL2+. (By 20mbps).

Erhm ... the F1000 is an outdated ZyXEL router.

What model Fritz!Box were you comparing to ? Features and compatibility to standards vary from model to model.

Ever since the rollout of vectoring Eir have supplied the F2000.

I mean .. you provided a total lack of data and specs for that conclusion.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Marlow wrote: »
    Erhm ... the F1000 is an outdated ZyXEL router.

What model Fritz!Box were you comparing to ? Features and compatibility to standards vary from model to model.

Ever since the rollout of vectoring Eir have supplied the F2000.

I mean .. you provided a total lack of data and specs for that conclusion.

/M

I'm well aware the F1000 is superceeded by newer routers. I was comparing apples with apples as both units i was talking about are of the same vintage.
    Not getting into a technical discussion about it. I answered someone who asked a question. I don't need to justify it to you Martin.

And before you question people get your facts right. The F1000 was supplied for and is capable of vectoring.

• Advertisement

Generally I would say NO. Router supplied by BB provider might not have the greatest wifi coverage but extremely unlikely you will get fast BB speeds.

Best thing you can do to get faster speeds is in fact to sort out the telephone wiring in the home - 90% of people's houses I've surveyed have had extra cabling to long gone extensions etc and wired in parallel - they kill connection speeds.

A lot of assumptions there, for a start, we don't know what type of bb the op has, it could be ftth. Secondly, we actually don't know how his/her existing router is performing, is his issue to do with speed (and if so, has he checked wired v wireless), is his/her issue with coverage rage, dropped connections etc etc.

Also,.with regards your post on internal wiring, again, we don't know what type of connection he/she has, whether he/she is connected to the eir connection point or if it is extended further into the house.
    The op needs to provide more info before any reasonable response can be given.

I'm well aware the F1000 is superceeded by newer routers. I was comparing apples with apples as both units i was talking about are of the same vintage.

That may well be, but how is that helping the op ? It's comparing two outdated routers and didn't even the disclose the fact, which Fritz!Box you were comparing to. They don't all perform the same. Not very helpful these days.

/M

So it’s a Vodafone broadband connection, copper, can’t get FTTH and can’t get FTTC for some reason even though it shows the cabinet down the road as being fibre ready.

Download speed is around 40mbs, I suppose there’s 2 different things, I’d like greater speeds but also greater WiFi coverage is out to the back garden.

Thanks

So it’s a Vodafone broadband connection, copper, can’t get FTTH and can’t get FTTC for some reason even though it shows the cabinet down the road as being fibre ready.

Download speed is around 40mbs, I suppose there’s 2 different things, I’d like greater speeds but also greater WiFi coverage is out to the back garden.

If it's 40 Mbit/s then it would be FTTC/VDSL already. ADSL2 was max at 24 Mbit/s. What are the sync rates, when you look in the webinterface of the router ?

Attenuation up / down specificly.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I've usually found that using the supplied router as a modem only (change it to bridge mode or whatever) and using a dedicated router for handling the WiFi can be a great help. But newer routers might handle things fine

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    If it's 40 Mbit/s then it would be FTTC/VDSL already. ADSL2 was max at 24 Mbit/s. What are the sync rates, when you look in the webinterface of the router ?

Attenuation up / down specificly.

/M

Ah right ok that makes sense with it being FTTC and then copper to the home. I’ll need to login to router for sync rates, will report back shortly

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've usually found that using the supplied router as a modem only (change it to bridge mode or whatever) and using a dedicated router for handling the WiFi can be a great help. But newer routers might handle things fine

Presume something like nest WiFi would be suitable for that?

If it was me, ubiquiti unifi AP's all the way, disable the WiFi on your router and have dedicated AP's, assuming you can run cable to the required locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I agree with wexfordman. Ubiquiti would be a better choice than Nest. And if you need to extend the range, run a cable to a second access point if at all possible. Mesh or power line adapters can work if you really can't run the cable, but IMO it's usually worth the effort of trying to figure out a way of doing it.

So would I disable the WiFi on the Vodafone router, then run an Ethernet from that to a new ubiquiti AP?

So would I disable the WiFi on the Vodafone router, then run an Ethernet from that to a new ubiquiti AP?

That would be the optimum solution, and even 2 or more AP's depending on the size of your house and coverage requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I bit the bullet the other day and installed Open WRT and DD-WRT on my two home routers. I am blown away by how much better the system is now, faster and more stable. I can now run all 8 CCTV cameras and all the home devices (20+ devices) over the wifi and the network is solid and throughput constant.

I would highly recommend them as an alternative to standard router operating systems, if you are confident installing firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭rameire

Question if I can.
    I have an Eir router downstairs and from that I have a cable to a Switch where there are direct links to devices.
    I also have another cable going from the Eir Router to an old Vodafone router upstairs from which I have direct links to computers.
    Both routers are wifi enabled and have the same name and password for ease of accessibility.

With the Ubiquiti Ap's
    with the addition of another switch which would replace the VF router could I get two of these and then disable the wifi on the router?
    would this be a better more stable setup?

Cheers.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    Question if I can.
    I have an Eir router downstairs and from that I have a cable to a Switch where there are direct links to devices.
    I also have another cable going from the Eir Router to an old Vodafone router upstairs from which I have direct links to computers.
    Both routers are wifi enabled and have the same name and password for ease of accessibility.

With the Ubiquiti Ap's
    with the addition of another switch which would replace the VF router could I get two of these and then disable the wifi on the router?
    would this be a better more stable setup?

Cheers.

Yep, that's pretty much what I did, as long as you have cabling to where you want to put your access points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭rameire

Yep, that's pretty much what I did, as long as you have cabling to where you want to put your access points

Magical. Thank you.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    Magical. Thank you.

If your uaps are cables back to the same point, consider a poe switch so you don't have to power them individually.

And yeah, once you get the uop's, then youl end out getting a switch, then youl want the ubiquiti usg router, and next you will be getting the cloud key...that's what happened me, liked it so much, switched over to all ubiquiti gear.

Advertisement