Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seats

Options
  • 04-05-2020 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My child is 15months, I'm looking to get the comfiest, safest car seat. If anyone can recommend a good isofix model for up to 4years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Deedee3 wrote: »
    My child is 15months, I'm looking to get the comfiest, safest car seat. If anyone can recommend a good isofix model for up to 4years.

Most of the iso fix seats have a limit if 105cm or 18 kg so if you’ve a tall or heavy baby you won’t get to 4 out of them. I learned that the hard way! My son isn’t huge and be he hit the 18kg at 3.5.

There are rear facing seats that have higher limits but they’re attached using tethers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There’s a car seat mega thread on here, have a look through it. It’s a good idea to plot height and weight on a centile chart so you can see how long a seat will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Highly recommend joining this page, as they are a wealth of info when it comes to car seats.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/?ref=bookmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

The safest car seat for your child is a rear facing one. The go up to 18kg with isofix and up to 25kg with seatbelt and the tethers

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Crazy money for a seat....

Bought 2 britax ones for less then 100 and done the job perfectly and could be also changed into a booster when needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Second this, our 20 month old is now at the resistance stage so being able to spin the chair around to plonk her in makes life an awful lot easier. Its pricey but i really cannot fault the quality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

We love the spin 360 as well. My 3.5 year old twins are still rear facing in theirs.

ETA if your child is in the high centiles, you should look at a 25 kg seat. My boys are under 15 kg at 3.5 so a while off the 18 kg still.

Crazy money for a seat....

Bought 2 britax ones for less then 100 and done the job perfectly and could be also changed into a booster when needed....

Not crazy at all. Some of those seats will do a child until they are 4 or 5, so well worth the money. Plus it's much safer (5 times) to keep them rear facing as long as possible. Until 4 years old at least and even longer if they are low in their centiles. My little one will prob stay rear facing until 5 or 6 as she's low in centiles and a 25kg rear facing seat will prob last her until then.

You should look up the stats for rear facing v forward facing. I think it should be mandatory to be rear facing until 18kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

My little boy is 8 months and we're looking at the next stage car seat. Haven't a clue what to get or where to start. Have had a look through the megathread but found it difficult to find the info I need. Has anyone any recent recommendations for a car seat for circa 1 year old, I think we'll get to August with the one we have. We were considering this one https://www.mothercare.ie/maxi-cosi-titan-pro-car-seat-nomad-black.html but I really am clueless so any help much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

jellybear wrote: »
    My little boy is 8 months and we're looking at the next stage car seat. Haven't a clue what to get or where to start. Have had a look through the megathread but found it difficult to find the info I need. Has anyone any recent recommendations for a car seat for circa 1 year old, I think we'll get to August with the one we have. We were considering this one https://www.mothercare.ie/maxi-cosi-titan-pro-car-seat-nomad-black.html but I really am clueless so any help much appreciated!!

It’s a bit of a minefield! Do you know his weight and height to plot on a centile chart? Or even what line he has been plotted on by the PHN?
    I personally would keep him rear facing for as long as possible. I have my nearly three year old rear facing in an axkid minikid, and will move his little sister into that when we need to. The axkid move is a slightly cheaper version of thAt seat, also gets great reviews.
    A lot depends on your car too though, and how much space you have available

Are you on facebook? If so this page is amazing for car seat advice.

What seat is your baby in now? Most infant seats last until 13kg which is usually 15 months or so. My 2 and half year old could technically still fit in her infant seat as she's not yet 13kg!!
    So you should have much longer than August in the infant carrier.

the safest seat is a rear facing one until at least 4 years of age or 18kg. If they are low in centiles they may even get bit longer rear facing.
    I don't think that seat is rear facing so it wouldn't be a good choice to be honest.
    If your baby is low in Centiles the Joie 360 is a good choice and rear faces until 18kg.
    If your baby is high in centiles then a 25kg rear facing seat like the Axkidd ones would be a better buy and last much longer.

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s a bit of a minefield! Do you know his weight and height to plot on a centile chart? Or even what line he has been plotted on by the PHN?
    I personally would keep him rear facing for as long as possible. I have my nearly three year old rear facing in an axkid minikid, and will move his little sister into that when we need to. The axkid move is a slightly cheaper version of thAt seat, also gets great reviews.
    A lot depends on your car too though, and how much space you have available

Thanks a million for getting back to me. Unfortunately no weighing scales and I'm cocooning so no way to measure him. His 7-9 month PHN appointment will probably be delayed so will figure something out! I'll have a look at those seats and great point about the cars. Mine is small enough, a Mazda 2 so will have to suss that out. Thanks again :)

andreac wrote: »
    Are you on facebook? If so this page is amazing for car seat advice.

What seat is your baby in now? Most infant seats last until 13kg which is usually 15 months or so. My 2 and half year old could technically still fit in her infant seat as she's not yet 13kg!!
    So you should have much longer than August in the infant carrier.

the safest seat is a rear facing one until at least 4 years of age or 18kg. If they are low in centiles they may even get bit longer rear facing.
    I don't think that seat is rear facing so it wouldn't be a good choice to be honest.
    If your baby is low in Centiles the Joie 360 is a good choice and rear faces until 18kg.
    If your baby is high in centiles then a 25kg rear facing seat like the Axkidd ones would be a better buy and last much longer.

We currently have the maxi cosi pebble plus :)
    Perfect, I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned there! Thanks so much :)

Thanks a million for getting back to me. Unfortunately no weighing scales and I'm cocooning so no way to measure him. His 7-9 month PHN appointment will probably be delayed so will figure something out! I'll have a look at those seats and great point about the cars. Mine is small enough, a Mazda 2 so will have to suss that out. Thanks again :)
    Even if you can remember what weight he was at his 3 month check, you could plot it on the chart then

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Arthur45

andreac wrote: »
    Not crazy at all. Some of those seats will do a child until they are 4 or 5, so well worth the money. Plus it's much safer (5 times) to keep them rear facing as long as possible. Until 4 years old at least and even longer if they are low in their centiles. My little one will prob stay rear facing until 5 or 6 as she's low in centiles and a 25kg rear facing seat will prob last her until then.

You should look up the stats for rear facing v forward facing. I think it should be mandatory to be rear facing until 18kg.

Which car seat did you choose ? Personally I have a Britax Römer Max Way which can be used until 25 kg which is around 6 years depending on your child weight.
    You kind find a list of the best rear facing car seat here : https://www.monsiegeautobebe.fr/comparatif-meilleurs-sieges-auto-dos-route/
    Its in french but no need to read the text :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Taxing Tom

anyone have any idea what car seats I could use in 2013 Hyundai i40 - have 5 year old, 2 year old and 6 month old?

Taxing Tom wrote: »
    anyone have any idea what car seats I could use in 2013 Hyundai i40 - have 5 year old, 2 year old and 6 month old?

Are you on fb? If so, join this group. They will be able to guide you and recommend best and safest seats.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/?ref=share

Advertisement