Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato Feed.

Options
  • 04-05-2020 2:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With Hardware Stores closed what are people using to feed tomato plants with.
    I have 9 or so, well established at this stage and no "Tomorite".
    Urine? Just added a watered down sample to one of my pots with three plants in. Nothing else available.
    Needs must n all that......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Tomrite NPK 4-3-8

Urine NPK 11:2:4 - according to google https://www.lowimpact.org/taking-the-pee/

So a bit high in Nitrogen.

Good for growing rice though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

I use a homemade seaweed tea for my tomatoes.
    Comfrey tea might work??
    It's a bit early to start fertilizing tomatoes yet so you have time to order some or wait for garden centers to open

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I use a homemade seaweed tea for my tomatoes.
    Comfrey tea might work??
    It's a bit early to start fertilizing tomatoes yet so you have time to order some or wait for garden centers to open

I have fruit bearing trusses on a few plants already, and all my plants are flying up the last week. They've already had some nettle tea to get them growing but they will be getting tomorite from this week.

OP a lot of garden centres are taking phone orders for delivery, as well as online shops. Ring around or try online.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I got organic tomato feed on line last week. Delivered in 2-3 days. Johnstown Garden center in Kildare

its my first year growing them. have a few plants in pots in the house I grew from seed at the end of march. Is it too early to put them into the polytunnel beds?

I'm in the south eastish of the country

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    I got organic tomato feed on line last week. Delivered in 2-3 days. Johnstown Garden center in Kildare

its my first year growing them. have a few plants in pots in the house I grew from seed at the end of march. Is it too early to put them into the polytunnel beds?

I'm in the south eastish of the country

Frogeye

Not too early at all. I planted mine in the tunnel a month ago. They did take a while to get going as we had some cold nights but they're growing fast now. Just keep an eye on the forecast and throw some fleece over them if it going to be close to freezing any night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Supervalu and Dunnes are selling various plant foods, rose feed, seaweed fed and tomato feed in my area at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Dealz, Mr. Price, Homesavers etc all do tomato food and other gardening supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not too early at all. I planted mine in the tunnel a month ago. They did take a while to get going as we had some cold nights but they're growing fast now. Just keep an eye on the forecast and throw some fleece over them if it going to be close to freezing any night.

Thanks Zzippy.

Are they ok to go straight from the house into the tunnel do you think? Do I need to harden them off some bit or is that not required for plants going onto a tunnel?

Frogeye

It's to get cold this weekend so maybe best to put them out for a few days and being them in at night til it warms up again next week. An unheated garage is fine, I wouldn't be bringing them into the warm kitchen or anything.

Advertisement