Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher Installation - Final Step Confusion

Options
  • 04-05-2020 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a complete beginner with DIY!

I'm installing a new dishwasher and I'm stuck with the water connection.

When I go to the water mains, I found a short braided flexible hose attached to water shut-off valve, which then connects to the copper pipes. The dishwasher hose will not connect to the available side of the flexible braided hose. That made me wonder did the previous dishwasher (about 10 years since was last there) might have used a different hose size or threads.

If I disconnect the short braided flexible hose, the dishwasher hose will connect onto the mains. But no matter how carefully or tightly I attach it, when I turn the valve on, water spews out of the connection, on the dishwasher hose side. Could that be a water pressure issue?

The bottom line I'm getting to is installing it any way I can.

I'm wondering:

• When I connect the dishwasher hose to the mains, why does the water spew out after I turn the valve back on?
    • What was the braided hose used for with the previous dishwasher? I can see something inside it, it's reflective, could it be moderating the water pressure?
    • Do I need a new braided flexible hose to bridge the water mains and the diswasher hose? The manufacturer says the hose is 3/4, that fits on the pipe which must be 3/4 also.

Any thoughts thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Inside the female fitting you are screwing on to the pipe fittings should be a washer, they often drop out and without it the connection will leak. You only need the flexible hose that came with the dishwasher you don't need anything else once you have the stop valve on the mains side.

The washer can be seen in this image its the black bit in the fittings check you have it?
    31on9L2vUDL._AC_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Pics. And what ∆he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Hi, the washers are both still there, very securely fastened, I just double-checked.

So now check the face of the fitting that you are screwing the washers against are they flat an smooth?

Also any chance you cross threaded the fittings they should screw on very easily until the washer starts to get compressed.

Which end is the pipe leaking exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

Had a similar issue one time and didn't relise there was a leak for some time! Turned out the plumber had overtightened the connection on the dishwasher hose and damaged the rubber washer in the process causing the leak. Solution, new hose and leak stopped.

• Advertisement

About the flat or smooth, I took a picture of inside the mains fitting if that tells you. I'm not sure what to look for.

Cross-threading, would that be somewhat noticeable on the dishwasher hose side? All the threads inside there feel nice and strong, intact, as does the mains. I spent most of my time investigating other things so I've only tried fitting it about 5 times, and not beating it up! :D

The part that's leaking is the diswasher hose, it seems to leak in at least two places, that part where the hose goes into the head and where the head meets the water mains.

skipper756 wrote: »
    Had a similar issue one time and didn't relise there was a leak for some time! Turned out the plumber had overtightened the connection on the dishwasher hose and damaged the rubber washer in the process causing the leak. Solution, new hose and leak stopped.

That's a funny one! I'm glad it was a simple fix. I'll go easy on the tightening!

I've a strong feeling that the washers in my case are probably ok - I got the machine delviered on Friday morning and most of the time since, the dishwasher hose I had attached the other way around, the right angle was on the mains and other side into the dishwasher. So what happens when I turn on the water valve? No leak whatsover. But, the dishwasher won't do much and says check mains. Inside it's dry.

It seems to be right angle attaches to the machine? The Bosch diagram seems to suggest that the side with the inbuilt red filter (non right-angle) goes into the machine which naturally leaves the right angle to the mains.

Hang on I'll just go check I don't have the machine upside down as well :pac:

So you have the right angled end of the hose fitting on the dishwasher and thats OK.

If the end that attaches to the valve in the picture leaks it might be the valve (you'll need a plumber) but thats only if the valve has been frozen if the house was left empty - I really doubt that - or you are screwing the fitting on at the wrong angle (cross threading) or you just need a new pipe. Those pipes are a fiver and very cheaply made, if you damaged the treads the first time you tried or they were damaged to start with nothing much now will fix it.

To test the pipe swap the ends over put the straight end on the washer and the rt angled one on the mains and see which one leaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

check and see if there's a transport stopper where the water goes into the dishwasher (I shall say nothing about calling out a service guy and paying him €50 to do this which took him all of 5 seconds :D:D:D )

Thanks a million for all the tips and advice by the way!

About the valve, the house has always been occupied. But that section of the T-junction would have been totally unused for about 10 years. The middle part goes to an outside tap which works fine and the other side serves the sink which is fine too.

The hose - I spent most time with the hose the wrong way around! With the right-angle on the mains, there is no leak or hissing. The machine just says check water and does nothing.

I'm nervous about any need for a plumber, because at least the few I checked online they seem to be saying emergency basis only. Do I give something a good kick to get it to that stage?! ;) Otherwise, not sure how I'll get one out.

Transport stopper - everything I'm looking up is showing me Minecraft! I'm trying to narrow that to "pipe" etc. and no joy. €50 quid would be a bargain. I'd deffo pay that to get this over with. My kitchen is an almighty mess with drawers taken out and and cleaning products from under the sink on the table.

• Advertisement

So check the hose. Connect the hose just to the mains put the unconnected in the sink or a washing up bowl then slowly open the valve. If the pipes OK water will come out. If not there's your problem.

Don't know if it is called a transport stopper - but effectively a stopper on the water inlet of the dishwasher that which is easily removed.

Only reason I'm not thinking about a transport stopper is how did the op connect up the pipe with a transport stopper still in place. The ones I have seen are just a red screw on end cap that has to be removed before you can screw on the pipe.

Something worth checking but again unlikely is that if the pipe wasn't used for ten years then the end of it was full of crap which ended up in the little filter screen that is often in the inlet pipe on the dishwasher. So OP have a look and see if there is a little filter full of crap and or a blanking plug inside the inlet pipe - the fitting on the washing machine that the hose attaches to.

mine was inside the inlet, but easy to pull out with a finger. It was a cheap e-machines washer from B&Q for a holiday home.

Generally online the suggestion is a fault with the sensor

make and model of the machine and whether its new or moved from another house would elicit better answers for the OP

I think I misunderstood what cross threading was. I thought it was having damaged threads because of excessive or aggressive tightening. Looking a video on youtube, it seems to be misaligning the threads thus causing an issue.

Well, I have undone both ends, screwed gently to the left for the click, then right and guess what? It still pisses on the floor. Now I see that machine looking like Ted's car in Father Ted when he takes a hammer to it to get one dent out of it ;).

I tried the hose connected to the mains and the other end in a basin and it's still a pissing contest.

So there's a chance it's the hose then?

I checked the filter by the way, nice and clear. Washed it under the tap just to be sure.

If you found the filter and cleaned it there is hope for you yet, chances are its the hose or the fittings at the ends that are the problem.

I can still however think of one possible cack handed thing you can do with the hose ends. If you hold one in your hand and look at the back of it you will notice there is a ridge around the fitting where the hand tightened nut locates (I go hand tight then a little bit extra with a wrench) and its possible for that to be caught under the nut when you tighten it. That wold 100% leak but the nut would seem to be really tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Valve could be on wrong way round ,
    is ther an arrow on the valve?

Valve could be on wrong way round ,
    is ther an arrow on the valve?

If you are referring to the half turn stop valve in the OP's picture then it is on the right way around and will work even if it the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

GinSoaked wrote: »
    If you are referring to the half turn stop valve in the OP's picture then it is on the right way around and will work even if it the wrong way around.
    There appears to be a flange on the end with the compression fitting,
    which made me think the hose nut may be bottoming out on the blue lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Is the hose connection tightening fully before it hits anything on the valve like mentioned? The blue lever or metal piece it sits on..

Do you happen to have a spare hose? Sometimes might have a spare from a washing machine...
    There appears to be a flange on the end with the compression fitting,
    which made me think the hose nut may be bottoming out on the blue lever.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million.

I did try the last thing last night - taking out the filter, the washer and to see was the inside part stuck in any way. I carefully reattached everything and water still comes out of it. Nothing is visibly damaged in any way and every part is tightly fitted.

There is a hose on the washing machine, but the part connected to the machine looks almost like it was glued on or something, not easily detachable, so I decided not to test it.

I telephoned the manufacturer last week for any tips, they gave me a few and said they would install it for a fee if I really needed it. I called today as I've tried 50 things and I'm tired of it. They said they won't install it, and were pretty rude about it. I called the retailer, who says they aren't installing outside of elderly and healthcare staff, but they said they'll install it for me for €40 tomorrow, even though I don't fit the category. Thank you DID and fk you Bosch.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll report back tomorrow what the installer says the issue was.

So the guy just left.

See anything different in the fitting in the picture? I don't. Yet it's not pissing on the floor. I don't know. He did it in a flash, nothing visibly different to me. I checked the washer, each part inside, I did all that I know. I was expecting him to say, it's missing a part, a fitting, something. Nope. Well, it was well worth that €40.

I'm putting everything I have in that machine today, the dishes, my clothes, the cat. Whatever wants a bath is getting it.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Elysium1 wrote: »
    So the guy just left.

See anything different in the fitting in the picture? I don't. Yet it's not pissing on the floor. I don't know. He did it in a flash, nothing visibly different to me. I checked the washer, each part inside, I did all that I know. I was expecting him to say, it's missing a part, a fitting, something. Nope. Well, it was well worth that €40.

I'm putting everything I have in that machine today, the dishes, my clothes, the cat. Whatever wants a bath is getting it.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Quite good for cleaning childrens hard plastic toys :D

Advertisement