Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sumner Game Fest - May-Aug '20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The XBOX showcase is on today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After starting and bouncing off Halo 5 recently I'm prepared to be thoroughly unimpressed with Halo Infinite and the continuing adventures of Generic Green Space Marine caused by his raging horn for a sexy AI hologram.

Always been disappointed and bored by the MS conferences so hoping to be surprised here.

• Advertisement

I was kinda hoping Elden Ring would get a mention, but some journo has poured cold water on that idea via Twitter, apparently.

Anyway, given that MS are boasting that they'll have the biggest launch line up for a console ever, they'll have something decent surely. Right? Right?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping Elden Ring would get a mention, but some journo has poured cold water on that idea via Twitter, apparently.

Anyway, given that MS are boasting that they'll have the biggest launch line up for a console ever, they'll have something decent surely. Right? Right?!

We will see if it trumps the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr Crispy wrote: »

I think Phil Spencer has already said they won't have much in the way of firs-party games in the first year or so of the console launch bar what's already announced, so I'd say this could be more a showcase of reveals of multiplatform games and smaller third party exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did he say that or did he say there'll be no first party exclusives? So for the first year games will release on XBox One and Series X

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Did he say that or did he say there'll be no first party exclusives? So for the first year games will release on XBox One and Series X

Ah, sorry, you're right. It was only a tweet I saw, but reading it, yes he means there'll be no Series X exclusives for the first year or so, so whatever games are coming out will be playable on Xbox One.

Though the idea they're not taking full advantage of the power of Series X and instead limiting it to having to be playable on the OG Xbox One is a bit disasterous. We've already seen from the PS5 that games like Ratchet & Clank are utilising the SSD in ways that the game wouldn't be playable on PS4.

Still though, it means we might see something big in the event today though, so that's something. Won't get watching it live but will catch up with it later.

• Advertisement

I don't see it being too big an issue. I'd say a lot of games being released at launch were originally planned for XBox One and will just take advantage of the more powerful hardware.

Penn wrote: »
    We've already seen from the PS5 that games like Ratchet & Clank are utilising the SSD in ways that the game wouldn't be playable on PS4.

It's hardly revolutionary and a wee bit gimmicky. I mean it's nice that it's near instantaneous but all it's doing is bypassing a loading transition. I'm really not convinced that the SSD is going to be some revolutionary game changer and more rather something that makes using a console a lot more user friendly by increasing response and allowing neat instant loading.

Yeah from that Ratchet video it seemed more about really quick disguised loading than no loading.

Like I just played Last of Us 2 and apart from starting up, I barely noticed loading even quickly getting back into the game after dying. And to be sure I tested that a lot. :)
    Then Sucker Punch reportedly made load screens longer on purpose for GoT.
    They're both first party games which are designed for the hardware, like Ratchet.
    If third party load times are as quick, I'd be surprised.

I won't get to watch the XBox reveal live so will just catch up on highlights later

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's hardly revolutionary and a wee bit gimmicky. I mean it's nice that it's near instantaneous but all it's doing is bypassing a loading transition. I'm really not convinced that the SSD is going to be some revolutionary game changer and more rather something that makes using a console a lot more user friendly by increasing response and allowing neat instant loading.

Agreed, but I'm just making the point that if they're limiting themselves to making new first-party games be compatible with the seven year old architecture of the original Xbox One (which was weaker than the PS4), then all they're doing is providing better loading times and graphics.

First-party games should always be ones which can push the consoles to their limits and take advantage of every feature of it. Why limit your new exclusives to seven year old specs?

True, but what is new that these consoles are bringing to the table that aren't just graphical toggles on a PC game?

You can have the same game but make a big difference to the visuals by increasing the quality of effects and adding ray traced shadows or global illumination.

I mean there was absolutely nothing that was on the PS4 that couldn't have been done on PS3 at lower fidelity. The difference in generations is a lot lower.

Sure Sony's first parties look amazing as they are coded right down to the silicon and I'm sure MS will do the same or close later but honestly think MS aren't all that interested. I'd say they will be more interested in having scalable games that will work on their gamepass than really coding down to the silicon and making games specific to the hardware.

Xbox stream on now. Halo Infinite not showing me anything that makes me want to play it.

Will post more videos from Xbox stream in single post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Can we have Elden Ring now please? We have waited long enough

Was the lady speaking about Everwild Irish? Missed her name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Was the lady speaking about Everwild Irish? Missed her name.
    Louise O' Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How can you get excited for Xbox exclusives when they are all on PC too? Just buy a PS5 and have the best of both worlds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah it’s a very strange feeling watching these events. I haven’t had an Xbox since the 360, and will have no need to get one to play any of the games here that look interesting.

It’s truly great that these games are coming to PC and GamePass remains a genuine monthly bargain... but for me anyway the Xbox as a console is redundant prospect these days.

This isn’t a bad thing for me - only so many boxes one needs tbh, especially when it comes to something that will some day end up as electrical waste. But definitely a disconnect between ‘this amazing new console is coming!!!’ nature of these events and the fact Microsoft are actively pushing against the need for a lot of people to ever buy one :pac:

That Medium game made me think of the Effect and Cause level from Titanfall 2. That's not a bad thing

Have to say.... Halo infinite looks like a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to say.... Halo infinite looks like a lot of fun.

It’s a series I just find it hard to get enthused about anymore. I just don’t think either Halo or Gears have really interested me since the original developers left - indeed, both series felt sorta spent before their original teams left anyway. I played a good chunk of Gears 5, but it really felt like a cover version with some semi open world stuff chucked in. I fear that’d be the direction Halo Infinite goes too, even though it does look like a very pretty update version of old Halo visually at least. Been playing 3 again - the only one in the series I really, really like - and the core loop has barely changed, by the looks of that new clip. But I actually rolled my eyes when they opened up a map screen with a bunch of stuff to do - give us back our mostly linear games, people :p (exaggerating a bit there as we don’t know how open this’ll be in the general scheme of things, but it has been great replaying Halo 3 and having tight, short and clearly designed levels for the most part).

I think Forza Horizon is akin to what I’d like to see more of from Microsoft if they’re going to keep revisiting the well of a handful of franchises long since past their peaks - aware that’s another open-world series, but it’s a big, bold, fun and fast one that’s a distinctive spin on a series. I’d be optimistic about Fable given Playground’s involvement - they’re basically Microsoft Studio’s A-team at the moment as far as I’d be concerned.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see Tunic? I thought I saw it in the opening credits for the pre-show, got excited, and then it disappeared!

Advertisement