Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft 2020 - Current Premier League - Signup Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Zabaleta is a great pick, was going to go for him this round but Walker fits the system I'm going for slightly better.

Agreed, I was wondering did people forget about him or something considering he hasn't been picked already, was planning on going for him myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,457 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Despite my dislike for the man, Pogba is good value at this point.

Having a thought here about the bonus round. Would it be maybe a good idea to have a 2nd one immediately after where only form in the 10s count for a player? Would increase the quality of the draft and the people picking in the first round would still get an advantage as they would likely get the best ones anyways. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Agreed, I was wondering did people forget about him or something considering he hasn't been picked already, was planning on going for him myself.

Completely forget he still played in the PL myself. I’m really happy with Pereira but honestly I’d have gone for Zabaleta in that round if I remembered he was available. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Liam O wrote: »

Having a thought here about the bonus round. Would it be maybe a good idea to have a 2nd one immediately after where only form in the 10s count for a player? Would increase the quality of the draft and the people picking in the first round would still get an advantage as they would likely get the best ones anyways. Just a thought.

I would not be adverse to this as I am not sure what the standard of players left in the final round as is would be like so an extra round with another tier of players available would obviously help especially if people are worried that a legends round would imbalance things a bit.

I agree that Zabaleta is a good get at this point. I think you lads are on the ball and there are a few players everyone was hoping would be forgotten about but nope! Like himself and Fernandinho for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

To give everybody a bit of a laugh. I totally misjudged this at first.

Genuinely thought it was pick 1 player and you make a debate about him etc.

So my first pick was James Milner and was going to take about his tea making skills and banter.

Now all of a sudden he's my captain and penalty taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

So my first pick was James Milner and was going to take about his tea making skills and banter.

Could have been a lot worse! Maybe not a first pick but he's a good pick none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s the theme for the next draft sorted anyway. :pac:

Liam O wrote: »

Not a bad idea at all.

Round 6: any (ex) player who played Premier league in the 10's - form before then counts.

Round 7 any (ex) player who played Premier league in the 10's - form only after 10's counts.

Be good to sort it before round 5 kicks off soon.

I'm easy on what we do for the special rounds. As ye can probably tell, I had nothing really organised for this draft, just wanted to try kickstart one. When I've ran them before I've ruled with an iron fist, but this one is much more democratic.

Had a bit of time on my hands, so here is the up to date draft so far.

Redzerdrog: Salah, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Coleman, Stones
    Ferris Bueller: Aguero, Vertonghen, Alli, Mata, Moutinho
    IncognitoMan: Van Dijk, B. Silva, Ndidi, Gundogan
    Dr.kenneth: De Bruyne, Fabinho, Alderweireld, Pogba
    LiamO: Mane, Firminho,Maguire, Zabaleta
    H2D: Robertson, Sane, Neves, Matip
    Mr.NiceGuy: Kante, Jimenez, Azpilicueta, Doherty
    wrestlemaniac: Sanchez, Vardy, Cahill, Walker
    daithi1989: TAA, Rashford, Alisson, Baines
    BountyHunter: Kane, Laporte, Ozil, Jorginho
    martyos: D. Silva, Fernandinho, Lacazette, R. Perreira
    brianregan: Aubameyang, B. Fernandes, Kovacic, Zaha
    Shanotheslayer: Milner, Mahrez, Richarlison, De Gea
    GlaDos: Sterling, Son, Matic, Gomez

• Advertisement

I think we'll have to stick with just round 6 as the special round. There seems to be enough confusion with that already.

How many people are following this thread to know we'd have added a second special round?

Round five is already underway.

I think we'll have to stick with just round 6 as the special round. There seems to be enough confusion with that already.

How many people are following this thread to know we'd have added a second special round?

Round five is already underway.

I agree now that round 5 has started it's a bit late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Surprised to see so many Liverpool players going so early in this. I had quite a few CB's in my list ahead of Matip/Gomez. And a few of the midfielders went much earlier than I thought with other options available. Either a lot of recency bias or Liverpool fans I guess! (not a dig just my opinion on them!)

Surprised to see so many Liverpool players going so early in this. I had quite a few CB's in my list ahead of Matip/Gomez. And a few of the midfielders went much earlier than I thought with other options available. Either a lot of recency bias or Liverpool fans I guess! (not a dig just my opinion on them!)

I was surprised at Matip and Gomez alright but ultimately it is a current PL draft and nobody is going to be unaffected by what they've seen recently.

My pick there of Oxlade Chamberlain was tough, there was a player I was 90% on picking but realised that he only had about 30 PL starts. While I think he'll be highly regarded, that is something that would be easy to argue down, whereas with AOC I can point to 2 or 3 seasons worth of very good displays overall, injuries withstanding.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liverpool and City are by far the best at teams in the league atm. Liverpool in particular have had a fantastic defence. Hardly surprising tbf.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

How do you post pictures to go with the write ups? And how do you get that team line up graphic Bounty Hunter has been using?

how do you get that team line up graphic Bounty Hunter has been using?

https://this11.com/#!/editor/

When your team is done just click 'Export image' and copy from the 'Forum' bit (you only need the ... part from the second line).

Hello 2D beat me to it but yeah that site is simple to use and ideal for this game

Thought about Evans and his Leicester CB partner who I dare not try to spell who both went this round. I'd guess Evans peak is actually now or at least his time at Leicester. Really has done well since leaving United.

Perfect, thanks lads

• Advertisement

Zabaleta was a great pick. I nearly went for him meself but CB was a more pressing concern.

If I had access Dr. Kenneth's secret centre back list I might have gone for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Wrestle with the FF pick of Alonso was a hidden gem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Alonso has to play as a wing back though otherwise he a liability

Redzerdrog: Salah, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Coleman, Stones
    Ferris Bueller: Aguero, Vertonghen, Alli, Mata, Moutinho
    IncognitoMan: Van Dijk, B. Silva, Ndidi, Gundogan, Ederson
    Dr.kenneth: De Bruyne, Fabinho, Alderweireld, Pogba, Reina
    LiamO: Mane, Firminho,Maguire, Zabaleta, Oxlade-Chamberlain
    H2D: Robertson, Sane, Neves, Matip, Soyuncu
    Mr.NiceGuy: Kante, Jimenez, Azpilicueta, Doherty, Evans
    wrestlemaniac: Sanchez, Vardy, Cahill, Walker, Alonso
    daithi1989: TAA, Rashford, Alisson, Baines, Otamendi
    BountyHunter: Kane, Laporte, Ozil, Jorginho, Rudiger
    martyos: D. Silva, Fernandinho, Lacazette, R. Perreira
    brianregan: Aubameyang, B. Fernandes, Kovacic, Zaha
    Shanotheslayer: Milner, Mahrez, Richarlison, De Gea
    GlaDos: Sterling, Son, Matic, Gomez

Ha was about to do that after updating my own list after picking
    Redzerdrog - Mo Salah, Gini Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson, Seamus Coleman and John stones
    Ferris_Bueller - Sergio Aguero, Jan Vertonghen, Dele Alli, Juan Mata, Joao Moutinho
    IncognitoMan - van Dijk, Bernado Silva, Wilfred Ndidi, Ilkay Gundogan, Ederson
    Dr. Kenneth - De Bruyne, Fabinho, Toby Alderweireld, Pogba, Pepe Reina
    Liam O - Sadio Mane, Firminio, Harry Maguire, Zabaleta, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain
    Hello 2D - Andy Robertson, Leroy Sane, Ruben Neves, Joel Matip, Caglar Soyuncu
    Mr Nice Guy - N'Golo Kante, Raul Jiminez, Cesar Azpilicueta, Matt Doherty, Jonny Evans
    Wrestlemaniac - Sanchez, Jamie Vardy, Gary Cahill, Kyle Walker, Marcos Alonso
    Daithi1989 Trent Alexander Arnold, Marcus Rashford, Alisson, Leighton Baines, Nicolas Otamendi
    Bounty Hunter Le Champion - Harry Kane, Aymeric Laporte, Mesut Ozil, Jorginho, Antonio Rüdiger
    Martyos - David Silva, Fernandinho, Ricardo Pereira, Lacazette
    Brianregan - Aubameyang, Bruno Fernandes, Mateo Kovacic, Zaha
    Shanotheslayer - Milner, Mahrez, Richarlison, De Gea
    Glados - Sterling, Son, Nemanja Matic, Joe Gomez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Pick made and pm sent :)

• Advertisement

Just realised the person i had earmarked for CF is no longer a premier league player!!! I had thought he was on loan elsewhere but he has actually transfered

Back to the drawing board

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Just realised the person i had earmarked for CF is no longer a premier league player!!! I had thought he was on loan elsewhere but he has actually transfered

Back to the drawing board

I've just realised my team is basically the same as yours so far with some slight variants in positions haha.

Special round has begun. So interesting to see how every one goes with this pick.

Have to say that is some front three that Glados has.

Have to say that is some front three that Glados has.

Quite tasty alright. there is one massive name left that I am hoping someone helps out by picking before me as I might find it hard to let him pass me by but he probably wouldn't suit who I've already picked perfectly.

After that can you all just pick CBs, i've already got 2 of them ;):D

• Advertisement

Is the legends round their form from 2010 onwards? Or total premier league form?

Is the legends round their form from 2010 onwards? Or total premier league form?

My understanding is total Premier league form.

My understanding is total Premier league form.

Yeah I believe that is what was said. There was discussion about making it 2010 onwards form but iirc it was said it was too late to change things at that point.

Quite tasty alright. there is one massive name left that I am hoping someone helps out by picking before me as I might find it hard to let him pass me by but he probably wouldn't suit who I've already picked perfectly.

After that can you all just pick CBs, i've already got 2 of them ;):D

I've been thinking about this massive name but haven't come up with anything yet.

Some teams shaping up nicely now we are half way through. The last pick or two may see a big drop off in quality.

I've been thinking about this massive name but haven't come up with anything yet.

Some teams shaping up nicely now we are half way through. The last pick or two may see a big drop off in quality.

I'd assume it's the same guy that Liam O was describing as argueably the best player ever in the premier league previously when he wanted based off the post 2010 form. Obviously don't think it's right to name names in this thread prior to people being picked though

Total form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There was so many ways I wanted to go with my pick but I think i went with the common sense pick in the end seen as i had no defence to speak of

Can't go wrong with Kompany

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Hi everyone. Finally got access to the Soccer Forum now, so can post my own selections. Thanks to wrestlemaniac for posting my selections so far.

daithi1989 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Finally got access to the Soccer Forum now, so can post my own selections. Thanks to wrestlemaniac for posting my selections so far.

That makes sense, good to have you on board and good man WM.

Just justifying my pick in my head, will have it up soon, then it will be you Daithi, followed by the bauld maniac himself.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ha, completely forgot about his loan back. Very clever.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

That's why I was asking the question! Think he might have got through to me too I'd wasn't for that pesky BH

That's why I was asking the question! Think he might have got through to me too I'd wasn't for that pesky BH

No chance haha

I have a bit of a dilemma which hopefully someone selecting before me can solve.

There is a similar pick to Henry I was considering in terms of Legend who many might not think is eligible that is still on the board, but just couldn't pass up Thierry even though I had thought he would be gone before it was my turn tbh. Henry & Kane up front... so wrong it's right :pac:

replace Kids with BH :D

tumblr_nwseb5xkcJ1ueclrxo1_250.gif

There is a similar pick to Henry I was considering in terms of Legend who many might not think is eligible that is still on the board, but just couldn't pass up Thierry even though I had thought he would be gone before it was my turn tbh. Henry & Kane up front... so wrong it's right :pac:

He's part of my aforementioned dilemma haha.

He's part of my aforementioned dilemma haha.

be interesting to see if others make your decision easier for you like I was kind of hoping. In some ways you made my decision easier for me... You named me Le Champion in the OP. Le Champion has to have some french Va Va Voom afterall
    tenor.gif?itemid=9123601
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Would have liked Terry or Kompany to have slipped through to me, but happy to have Hazard in the bag; the man kept Chelsea in many a game single handedly many a time!

daithi1989 wrote: »
    Would have liked Terry or Kompany to have slipped through to me, but happy to have Hazard in the bag; the man kept Chelsea in many a game single handedly many a time!

Hazards a great pick, was on my shortlist for this round.
    Redzerdrog - Mo Salah, Gini Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson, Seamus Coleman and John stones
    Ferris_Bueller - Sergio Aguero, Jan Vertonghen, Dele Alli, Juan Mata, Joao Moutinho
    IncognitoMan - van Dijk, Bernado Silva, Wilfred Ndidi, Ilkay Gundogan, Ederson
    Dr. Kenneth - De Bruyne, Fabinho, Toby Alderweireld, Pogba, Pepe Reina
    Liam O - Sadio Mane, Firminio, Harry Maguire, Zabaleta, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain
    Hello 2D - Andy Robertson, Leroy Sane, Ruben Neves, Joel Matip, Caglar Soyuncu
    Mr Nice Guy - N'Golo Kante, Raul Jiminez, Cesar Azpilicueta, Matt Doherty, Jonny Evans
    Wrestlemaniac - Sanchez, Jamie Vardy, Gary Cahill, Kyle Walker, Marcos Alonso, Patrick Viera
    Daithi1989 Trent Alexander Arnold, Marcus Rashford, Alisson, Leighton Baines, Nicolas Otamendi, Eden Hazard
    Bounty Hunter - Harry Kane, Aymeric Laporte, Mesut Ozil, Jorginho, Antonio Rüdiger, Thierry henry
    Martyos - David Silva, Fernandinho, Ricardo Pereira, Lacazette, Lucas Digne, John Terry
    Brianregan - Aubameyang, Bruno Fernandes, Mateo Kovacic, Zaha, Bellerin, Viincent Kompany
    Shanotheslayer - Milner, Mahrez, Richarlison, De Gea, Tammy Abraham, Steven Gerrard
    Glados - Sterling, Son, Nemanja Matic, Joe Gomez, David Luiz, Luis Suarez

Patrick Vieira has been the first pick I completely forgot about, his spell at City was not in my memory whatsoever. Great pick in fairness.

• Advertisement

Yeah Viera thanks to that City Stint was the other guy I was talking about, nice pick there alright. Still quality picks left for everyone in this round though

Advertisement