Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV mains wiring question

Options
  • 04-05-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can anyone help me - I am about to install PV panels - my mains wiring has 2 feeds from the ESB meter. One feed to the house fuseboard and the other feed to a fuseboard in my shed. If I have PV panels, inverter etc. installed on my shed and connect to the shed fuseboard, will that still feed my house supply before dumping power back to the grid? Thanks for any help!

Comments

If your house feeds the shed the shed can feed the house. If the grid feeds the house the house can feed the grid. Someone will be along to tell you to get a qualified electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you generate electricity in the house or anywhere inside the meter, the meter just sees current in one direction or the other, depending on whether you are generating a surplus or not. That is it in a simplistic form.

So it doesnt really matter where it is setup in terms of supplying your demand, as your loads and generation are all on your side of the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You need to talk to ESBN plus get a qualified electrician plus get changeover switches etc.
    If you end up feeding onto the grid you will be in trouble and could put Esbn crews in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

tom1ie wrote: »
    You need to talk to ESBN plus get a qualified electrician plus get changeover switches etc.
    If you end up feeding onto the grid you will be in trouble and could put Esbn crews in danger.

If there is a grid tied inverter, no need for changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fosulli

If your house feeds the shed the shed can feed the house. If the grid feeds the house the house can feed the grid. Someone will be along to tell you to get a qualified electrician.

Thanks, I will be getting an electrician to connect it up, but I am ordering the kit myself.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Fosulli

Very helpful, thanks, I will be getting an electrician to install it correctly, but I am ordering the Pv kit myself. Thanks again

Fosulli wrote: »
    Thanks, I will be getting an electrician to connect it up, but I am ordering the kit myself.
    Thanks again

Interesting.
    Can you show us the kit your getting ?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Fosulli wrote: »

It would be prudent to get an experienced PV installer to advise on the selection of kit before you place an order unless you have sufficient technical experience in this area.

It would obviously be cheaper to order through a professional (for reduced VAT rate at least).

512145.jpg

Plug agus play. Base load offset system. I've 1kW on this one and she sits pegged at 500W most of the day-long day.
    Array at 15°

She's hacked. I tapped the solar side of the anti-islanding relay for a 5V supply to low power the internal 12V fan while she's harvesting. I blew the onboard cooling circuit getting greedy and adding too many external fans.

She owes me nothing.

Advertisement