Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda brutality in Clonmel April 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

And? So?

One case from 22 years ago in which no mention is made of why that tourist came to the guards attention in the first place, just what is your point here?

You really have to have to do something to come to a garda's attention. You have to loud or acting suspiciously or giving them grief to attract their focus. Then you get wise guys who back answer them. I am not a wiseguy and follow advice hence I dont enter conflict. Nobody ever get searched for drugs its always the dopes who call them names or who are upto thing that get searched that its a bonus for Guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

And? So?

One case from 22 years ago in which no mention is made of why that tourist came to the guards attention in the first place, just what is your point here?

I somehow doubt there was a 'history' between the tourist and the Guard that's my point.

You seem very upset about it ? Did I touch a nerve ? Are those your friends or colleagues in the video ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Feisar wrote: »
    Actually we need more of them, scum thinking (knowing) they can do what they like needs to stop. A mainland Europe military style policing style is what is needed. IMHO of course, I can lean towards authoritarianism in my views with dealing with blights on society.

scum thinking/knowing they can do what they like is not possible to stop, regardless of how military the police may be.
    like criminality in general, it's only something that can be managed by locking up those who are a threat to society.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I somehow doubt there was a 'history' between the tourist and the Guard that's my point.

You seem very upset about it ? Did I touch a nerve ? Are those your friends or colleagues in the video ?

Asking you to clarify your non-point is hardly being upset, you may be projecting there.

And who said anything about a "history"? My post never said anything about a history, are you sure you quoted the right post, did you perhaps mean to direct your anecdote somewhere else?

Great video - well done to the Gardai. I would have difficulty being so restrained.

I live in a rough area, lots of 'scumbags'. The reality is that a good hiding is all a lot of these people will ever understand. If you're resisting arrest, the Gardai should dial up the effort to get you to comply. If a coordinated, 3-second beating gets the job done, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭bmc58

Hasn't there been a string of arrests for violent incidents in Clonmel recently including an arrest over a fatal stabbing?

There have been a couple serious incidents between a couple of families over the past few weeks and people are before the courts .But there has been NO fatal stabbing in Clonmel.

You know there is a history there in a country town like Clonmel. This guy must be a regular at the cop shop and have a coffee card to warrant a beating like that.

A history of what?Clonmel is full of history.It was never sacked by Cromwell.Is that the history you're on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No, I don't think I will.

When someone is arrested by the Gardai, the logical (common sense) is to oblige them. They are the authority of the State regarding the law, and there should be some respect given to them for that. If I was to be arrested, I would have faith in the law, because I obey the laws. If I haven't, and I am arrested, then I deserve to be arrested... Resisting the Gardai when they're doing their duty is just stupid.

God love your innocence. Look what they did to one of their own. You think Maurice McCabe was the first or only victim of that kind of thing?

That is Clonmel. Beside Larry O’Keefes.

No way.The kerb is way to high to be beside .O'Keefes.And there is no broken white line beside the kerb on that stretch of road.There is room for cars to park opposite and beside O'Keefes.That is not anywhere near Larry O'Keefes Clonmel.Guess again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

Well obviously the clearly foreign language speakers making this video don't seem to be too worried or scared about the authorities,Guards have a tough job dealing with worst in society for the same wage as most and less than a lot.

They seem to be being pretty tame here,we don't know the whole story,but i know if i went to another country whether as a worker or tourist the last thing i am going to be doing is recording said police force to make videos on social media about police brutality.

But each to their own,but definitely if i was in the least bit concerned about police brutality in a country that was not my own the last thing i would be doing is videoing it to post on the internet to complain of police brutality.

Also to note if i was in another country and police brutality was such a concern for me i would just go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Have you ever tried to Handcuff a Violent Prisoner or somebody who is coked off their head? If somebody doesn't want to be handcuffed, then its extremely hard to do so. There's only so many techniques you can try before its just a case of brute force to get them on.

Actually I have, on many occasions in my time in acute psych. This is not a valid excuse sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The gardai probably did lose their cool here and start beating him. However, I would say it is almost certain that the guy has a long history and was acting the out and out scumbag and he probably did a lot to deserve it and more.

Clonmel is a dirty scum town, full of knackers and thugs. A few beatings for some of the inhabitants wouldn't go astray.

Gardaí don't beat you like this for going 5kph over the limit or for jaywalking or for giving lip. This is probably the result of months if not years of this fella being an absolute degenerate.

How the Mod hasn't banned you for this unsubstantiated post is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

scum thinking/knowing they can do what they like is not possible to stop, regardless of how military the police may be.
    like criminality in general, it's only something that can be managed by locking up those who are a threat to society.

Then why is there so little crime in Japan?

Odhinn wrote: »
    God love your innocence. Look what they did to one of their own. You think Gerry McCabe was the first or only victim of that kind of thing?

You sure you're talking about the right person?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

quality content channel.

bmc58 wrote: »

Ty, soz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It was Nodin’s lads who shut Jerry McCabe up. Permanently.

Real Freudian slip there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

A history of what?Clonmel is full of history.It was never sacked by Cromwell.Is that the history you're on about?

They guy must have had a history with the guards. They dont pick on you for no good reason, you have to come to their attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They guy must have had a history with the guards. They dont pick on you for no good reason, you have to come to their attention

TBF we don't know what GAA team he played for nor which one the Garda played for.

• Advertisement

You reckon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McBrearty_Snr

God love your innocence. Look what they did to one of their own. You think Maurice McCabe was the first or only victim of that kind of thing?

There are exceptions to every case. And there are oddballs. Or whatever.

What? I am to doubt the justice system because of one case? Or a dozen? What about every example where nothing happens, and nobody complains then?

I grew up in Athlone in the 70s/80s. I saw the police being brutal with the Travellers, or the drug dealers. I saw how the people who broke the laws behaved, and the effects it had on the local community. So, no.. not naive or innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

dd973 wrote: »
    I think it could be a Traveller on the ground there.

(Number of Thread pages rockets from 2 to 37..)

Even if he is from that video seems excessive but of course we don't know the full situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The gardai probably did lose their cool here and start beating him. However, I would say it is almost certain that the guy has a long history and was acting the out and out scumbag and he probably did a lot to deserve it and more.

Clonmel is a dirty scum town, full of knackers and thugs. A few beatings for some of the inhabitants wouldn't go astray.

Gardaí don't beat you like this for going 5kph over the limit or for jaywalking or for giving lip. This is probably the result of months if not years of this fella being an absolute degenerate.
    Where are ya from yourself?

Ty, soz.

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Then why is there so little crime in Japan?

Because they are japanese, and more law abiding.

Many people get the arrow of causality wrong . When they say that incarceration doesn't work they point out that high crime countries have high incarceration rates, but the logic isn't that high incarceration rates cause high crime ( that would make no sense) but that high crime societies need high incarceration rates.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Because they are japanese, and more law abiding.

Agreed, although there is a lot of crime isn't officially reported. Especially outside of the main city areas. The Japanese perception of what should be reported is often different to ours, and whether the police should be involved, or if it should be dealt within the community.

Asia isn't really a good example to compare crime with Europe. Culture is far too strong a factor in understanding what's really going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Where are ya from yourself?

Knowing the way people from Tipperary are about each other, he is probably from Carrick on Suir. Maybe Cahir.

I rarely visit Clonmel, where my dad comes from, except 2-3 times a year to visit his family. Seems grand to me. Some shops boarded up since 2008, but no sense of danger whatsoever. In fact it's too quiet at nights there.

There are exceptions to every case. And there are oddballs. Or whatever.

What? I am to doubt the justice system because of one case? Or a dozen? What about every example where nothing happens, and nobody complains then?

I grew up in Athlone in the 70s/80s. I saw the police being brutal with the Travellers, or the drug dealers. I saw how the people who broke the laws behaved, and the effects it had on the local community. So, no.. not naive or innocent.

I'm just saying that this

If I was to be arrested, I would have faith in the law, because I obey the laws. If I haven't, and I am arrested, then I deserve to be arrested..

is a naive and far too trusting view of things. The last people in uniform accorded this level of deference were catholic priests and look how that worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm just saying that this

is a naive and far too trusting view of things. The last people in uniform accorded this level of deference were catholic priests and look how that worked out.

And not a Catholic priest to be seen in the video !!
    Your point ?

Advertisement