Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda brutality in Clonmel April 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Vizzy wrote: »
    And not a Catholic priest to be seen in the video !!
    Your point ?

...that being overly deferential to any particular body 'on faith' is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...that being overly deferential to any particular body 'on faith' is a bad idea.

Was taught by priests all through my school days, as were 30 or so others.
    I am not aware of ANY of them every having a problem( in the way you are implying) with ANY of them.

I'm not niaive enough to say that there are/were bad priests out there as there are in every walk of life.

More than that is paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

bmc58 wrote: »
    There have been a couple serious incidents between a couple of families over the past few weeks and people are before the courts .But there has been NO fatal stabbing in Clonmel.

Not from want of trying.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Was taught by priests all through my school days, as were 30 or so others.
    I am not aware of ANY of them every having a problem( in the way you are implying) with ANY of them.

I'm not niaive enough to say that there are/were bad priests out there as there are in every walk of life.

More than that is paranoia.

I was taught by priests and only one of them 'had a problem'. However the others acted to protect "their own" and thats sort of what I'm getting at. The gardai are human - independent oversight and accountability need to be applied vigorusly.

Odhinn wrote: »
    is a naive and far too trusting view of things. The last people in uniform accorded this level of deference were catholic priests and look how that worked out.

You really think that's a suitable comparison? Seriously?

I trust the police not to batter me if I comply with their orders. Seems logical enough and has worked well for me throughout my life. I've been in various situations where the police were called in to intervene, and I've never had any serious issues with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was expecting to see a video of someone getting the tar kicked out of them, misleading thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He must be a soft touch if that is what passes for excess.

Absolutely.
    I trust the police not to batter me if I comply with their orders. Seems logical enough and has worked well for me throughout my life. I've been in various situations where the police were called in to intervene, and I've never had any serious issues with them.

Not everyone has had that luck. I might add that being given a few clatters is nothing compared to their ability to tar people, eg martin callinan and maurice mc cabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That was often the case. The experience of many with the Guards in rural Ireland was off a force with quite a few members who were thugs and hoodlums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

3 Garda can't even get the lads arms behind his back to cuff him without punching and batoning him? No wonder the force is laughing stock. Bloody useless bunch. The guy on the ground doesn't even seem that big either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

FVP3 wrote: »
    Knowing the way people from Tipperary are about each other, he is probably from Carrick on Suir. Maybe Cahir.

I rarely visit Clonmel, where my dad comes from, except 2-3 times a year to visit his family. Seems grand to me. Some shops boarded up since 2008, but no sense of danger whatsoever. In fact it's too quiet at nights there.

I actually am from close enough to Cahir. About 1/3 of the way in the Clonmel direction.

I can tell you, Clonmel is a rough rought town. I'd put it in third place behind Tipp town and Carrick on Suir . It is dog rough. Full of no good lifetime dole heads and the local papers full of court reports of people from there up for drugs, drunken assaults and everything in between.
    I have not gone out to the pubs there in a couple of years now. It is a scummy hell hole.

Cahir has its own brew of unsavoury characters too of course, Clonmel is a whole other level of scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The still at the start of the video and end of the video shows the man face down, hands above his head and grabbing that red rag/clothing. He is not handcuffed which leads me to believe that this was before the guards gave him the few digs trying to handcuff him (the red yoke is to the side in the rest of the video).

If this is correct, then it tells us that the video taker had extra footage before what we see. They did not just only manage to turn the camera on at that point.

The fact that it is edited to cut in at only that point where the man is already on the floor is extremely suspicious to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I actually am from close enough to Cahir. About 1/3 of the way in the Clonmel direction.

I can tell you, Clonmel is a rough rought town. I'd put it in third place behind Tipp town and Carrick on Suir . It is dog rough. Full of no good lifetime dole heads and the local papers full of court reports of people from there up for drugs, drunken assaults and everything in between.
    I have not gone out to the pubs there in a couple of years now. It is a scummy hell hole.

Cahir has its own brew of unsavoury characters too of course, Clonmel is a whole other level of scummy.

Yeah that’s it your dead right everyone in clonmel is a scumbag. I’m sure your a big loss from the social scene in the town. Tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

That's not surprising. Tipperary is full of people ranting about other towns in Tipperary.

I can tell you, Clonmel is a rough rought town. I'd put it in third place behind Tipp town and Carrick on Suir .

There are towns outside Tipperary.
    It is dog rough. Full of no good lifetime dole heads and the local papers full of court reports of people from there up for drugs, drunken assaults and everything in between.

Seems fairly quiet to me. Talbot street it aint.

Cahir is also a quiet nice town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

People must be afraid of their own shadow if they think clonmel is rough, like any big town has its fair share of scumbags but rough it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Pity there's not more of it. Obviously don't know the back story but hopefully it was a well known scumbag and deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That's the problem with the guards, it's one of those careers lads go into when everything else fails and they have a chip on their shoulder.

I know plenty of guards and not a single one ever made any mention of wanting to be a cop, then all.off a sudden "oh I'm going for the guards" right so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

We need to wake up. We are dealing with one of the most corrupt, immoral organisations our country has even seen.

We, the taxpayer are not only funding these parasites but colluding with their corruption. They are there to rack up the convictions, make no mistake about it. However they go about it, they don't care.

People are far too subservient in this country. I am a proud Irishman but these cohort of corrupt opportunists sickens me. They are threatening not only our constitution but our very liberty.

For those connected to the Garda on this site, off with you, we all know who ye are.

The sooner they are completely dismantled and re-organised completely, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

We need to wake up. We are dealing with one of the most corrupt, immoral organisations our country has even seen.

We, the taxpayer are not only funding these parasites but colluding with their corruption. They are there to rack up the convictions, make no mistake about it. However they go about it, they don't care.

People are far too subservient in this country. I am a proud Irishman but these cohort of corrupt opportunists sickens me. They are threatening not only our constitution but our very liberty.

For those connected to the Garda on this site, off with you, we all know who ye are.

The sooner they are completely dismantled and re-organised completely, the better.

Shouldn't you be at a John Waters protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

JJayoo wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be at a John Waters protest?

Shouldn't you get a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't worry, Drew Harris is on the case.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If someone bent your finger, your whole body muscle would contract to free yourself. You call it resisting arrest, but it's the body reacting to pain.
    You can't put someone's hands behind their back by taking his hand over his shoulder, that would be breaking his arm. I think guy on ground was reacting to impossible movements in his body, to handcuff someone you need arms lowered, and moved around at waist height .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shouldn't you get a life

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

JJayoo wrote: »
    That's the problem with the guards, it's one of those careers lads go into when everything else fails and they have a chip on their shoulder.

I know plenty of guards and not a single one ever made any mention of wanting to be a cop, then all.off a sudden "oh I'm going for the guards" right so

I know a lot of guards who wanted to be guards since primary school. Back around the year 2016, 25,000 people applied for about 200 vacancies in the guards, so its not like they take in the bottom of the barrel recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pity there's not more of it. Obviously don't know the back story but hopefully it was a well known scumbag and deserved it.

Whatever the guy deserved in the way of punishment, we have courts for that. But The Gardai don’t get to decide. As emotive as their job is, as difficult as it is and as much as I don’t envy them... throwing punches, very hard punches and knees ‘repeatedly’ into a guy, over a couple of minutes who while showing resistance is still prone on the ground.. there are three big and burly Gardai who would be trained in apprehending him with minimal risk to the suspect and themselves one would think... I’m not imagining what we are seeing in the video, well a good deal of it anyway is best practice and I’m not imagining it would be overlooked by a court or their superiors as anything other then an assault...something ‘may’ have occurred beforehand but certainly in the video we are seeing the member of the public, face down, yes needing restraint, yes resisting being cuffed but I cannot believe the sort of behavior and force as appropriate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

If you had said one of the most corrupt governments or successive corrupt governments i would be with you,but blaming the guards for everything is just looking for a scapegoat for governments bailing out banks and now borrowing off a cliff to pay people to do nothing.

It leaves no money or resources for policing,the cutbacks in policing since the bailout has been shocking,corruption across the board has been rife in Ireland since the bailout and its only going to get a lot worse,but blaming the guards for taking some backhanders is low down on my list of people i would like to see take some of the flack for our problems and coming problems.

Its simply a result of inadequate police funding,see in Drogheda gangs following home certain Guards and intimidating them,some people need to put themselves in the shoes of a guard,poor money poor enough prospects dealing with drunks and the worse in society at their worst day in day out.

If we paid our gardai more money and resourced them better instead of servicing endless piling up of bank debt you wouldn't have the same problems.You need to look up higher as to who is to blame for any problems within An Gardai Siochana,instead of blaming medium earners with probably one of the most difficult if not the most difficult jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm sure he was an innocent law abiding citizen minding his own business when inexplicably jumped on by three guards....

No, there's a lot of scumbags out there who need a bit of tenderising. Try putting it on, spitting, biting or carrying a knife with some foreign police forces, even within the EU, and you'll get a few slaps and kicks for your trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

We, the taxpayer are not only funding these parasites but colluding with their corruption...

You mean the Dept of Social Welfare and its loyal customer base?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know a lot of guards who wanted to be guards since primary school. Back around the year 2016, 25,000 people applied for about 200 vacancies in the guards, so its not like they take in the bottom of the barrel recruits.

The truth lies somewhere in between. They definitely dont hire the sharpest tools in the shed. The standards for entry have definitely dropped constantly for years. When I applied for it I came inside the top 200 and outside the top 100 (on the civil sercan IQ exam) when I applied for it and was on the FCA falling plates and orientation team. I didnt get it with a cert in Computing (That is many years ago).
    No I did not do something dodgy or have a family history of particular interest. But the local fisheries officers son who was as corrupt as they come got it. His Mother was an FF cumman secretary. The poor boy would be out of his depth intellectually reading primary school books let alone law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

SAXA wrote: »
    My brother in law who is a Garda got stabbed and is currently in hospital because the asshole had a concealed knife....

Was it the guy in the video that did it?? Otherwise, whats it got to do with this thread??

Advertisement