Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda brutality in Clonmel April 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Our Scum get off light is the best way of describing our country.

Scum who wreck housing estates, towns , villages robbing and selling drugs should be shot dead not getting a few digs from the guards.

At all levels of society IMO.

Shot dead for graffiti or selling drugs to RTE/Politicians and bankers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Remember this is the force who stitched up one of their own Maurice McCabe. This is some thug they are hammering on the ground. They are above the law at all levels and of they want they will make your life a misery.

What is happening in the video isn't good enough. They clearly have the person under control. The Guard behind him clearly stamps on him a number of times and while he is being held down by the other two strikes him multiple times with his baton.

AGS and the Gardai involved in this need to be held accountable.

Regardless of the victims crimes or what went before this its wrong and could happen to any of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Edgware wrote: »
    Did she take down your particulars? Ooooh Vicar!

Nope just decided to leave it at friends..... then the friendship just faded out. Last I heard she was applying for Sergeants course. I wish her well. It would have been like being married to an army training corporal. I hope she found her peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Steer55 wrote: »

I saw in Romania in 95/96 handcuffing a toerag absolutely destroying him in a disco- I mean lumps out of him, cops wore balaclavas,
    crime- bringing a weapon into a club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I saw in Romania in 95/96 handcuffing a toerag absolutely destroying him in a disco- I mean lumps out of him, cops wore balaclavas,
    crime- bringing a weapon into a club

Its funny it never crossed my mind to ever bring a weapon into a night club. good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A bit like saying the army is exiting. Its all guns, parachutes, exotic travel and blowing up sh1t. Its does happen but it is far and inbetween when the reality is its duties, pioneer work, cleaning maintenance and square bashing.

Whats that?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Whats that?

manual labour, digging trenches, foxholes, temporary construction not done by engineers corps. All they behind the scenes stuff you dont see or think of. Many armies have pioneer units still.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Steer55 wrote: »

Surprising for the lack of any ability to throw a punch. The first one was ok but only because he punched him in the back of the head. The rest was wild flailing about to no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can somebody link me to the breaking news story where its revealed that the guy on the ground was an innocent charity worker on his way to save puppies from a burning orphanage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm sure he was an innocent law abiding citizen minding his own business when inexplicably jumped on by three guards....

No, there's a lot of scumbags out there who need a bit of tenderising. Try putting it on, spitting, biting or carrying a knife with some foreign police forces, even within the EU, and you'll get a few slaps and kicks for your trouble.

that's ultimately irrelevant and justifies nothing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Three hefty guards, unable to restrain and apply handcuffs to a guy who is face down and putting up little to no resistance that I can see...then, frustrated by their own lack of ability proceed to lash out at the guy with kicks, punches and a baton.

Beggars belief how these three made it out of templemore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've seen Garda violence that really shocked me. I'm no giant fan of them or strong arm tactics. But frankly, I thought that was fairly tame. There was no need for it, but I suspect they wanted to show how was boss once they'd overcome his resistance.

boombang wrote: »
    I've seen Garda violence that really shocked me. I'm no giant fan of them or strong arm tactics. But frankly, I thought that was fairly tame. There was no need for it, but I suspect they wanted to show how was boss once they'd overcome his resistance.

If three guards are unable to safely deal with a guy who is resisting as little as this guy was then they shouldn't be guards.

Id hate to see these three stooges in a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

If three guards are unable to safely deal with a guy who is resisting as little as this guy was then they shouldn't be guards.

I'd hate to see these three stooges in a crisis.

Christ lads, this isn't the kind of video which is going to shock the world. It was handbags. I have seen more violence at at an under 6 lacrosse game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

What do ye think of this ?

Looks like the video has been edited, where is the rest of the video leading up to the lad on the floor?????????

Would you be trolling by any chance OP?

FVP3 wrote: »
    Christ lads, this isn't the kind of video which is going to shock the world. It was handbags. I have seen more violence at at an under 6 lacrosse game.

Look this is nothing as far as violence goes, we all no that.

If they did this while he was struggling, on his feet fighting or trying to run then I wouldn't care, Im not opposed to giving knackers a few slaps in the right circumstances.

But three guards kicking, punching a man who is already caught, flat on his stomach and offering little to no resistance just doesn't sit right with me.

Read it again.
    Those courses and duties are all chosen for you based on merit and availibility. If you dont like it you have to lump it. In private industry you can pay for your courses and the courses arent restricted entry. If you dont like it and you are good at your job there are other companies looking for you in technical roles.

Pass, gimme private industry over state employer.

Based on merit? Yes. What do you think they should be based on?
    You can also pay for any private courses you wish, ags are not going to stop people taking further education, they even pay towards some private courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

What happened the young lad years ago who died in Clonmel garda station?

Think his parents wanted him to spend the night in custody to teach him a lesson.
    It must have haunted them to make that decision.

They lost another son to violence years later.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Based on merit? Yes. What do you think they should be based on?
    You can also pay for any private courses you wish, ags are not going to stop people taking further education, they even pay towards some private courses.

There may also be an element of favoritism and nepotism at play there. I have seen a guy in the army trying to get an officers course as an NCO but they wouldnt give it to him. Rightly gave him the run around. He was just one of them lads who was conditioned. I told him "do your own course privately and get ready for 35". He is still there as a Sargent and on his way to CS in Signals but he could have done a lot smarter for himself. He is one of the few saps who believe in what they are doing, they cut his pension and held up promotions and he stood by the DF. That is a loyalty I dont have.

If you dont like the guards, where would you go for employment afterwards? Insurance investigation? Private investigation (there is a guy in Tipp who does a cracking trade in following up cheating spouses)? I find knew a guy who went to college with me who left under a cloud. My own feeling was he entered in good faith but didnt like the culture, never talked about it afterwards. He had his Diploma in computers and was an entrepreneuring guy so he was fine.

The guards isnt all it is made out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

it isnt all about intelligence getting into the gardai [/QUOTE]

Ha I think you hit the nail on the head there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

If they did this while he was struggling, on his feet fighting or trying to run then I wouldn't care, Im not opposed to giving knackers a few slaps in the right circumstances.

But three guards kicking, punching a man who is already caught, flat on his stomach and offering little to no resistance just doesn't sit right with me.

Get outta that, the video is 2.07 long and he offered plenty of resistance to being cuffed. Cops arent child minders. They dont need to wait for someone to be all tuckered out to cuff them. This guy wont even have a scratch on him and he was given plenty of time to offer his hands to be cuffed. He wont have been on the ground like this without giving the cops reason.

There isnt even a case of "brutality" to look into here. The man resisted arrest for 90 seconds that we know of and got a few jabs. What other way should it be dealt with?

In the UK a taser would most likely be pointed at the man, the US several guns, in Germany, Italy and Spain there would be a good chance of a baton being used and potentially a gun pointed at him but this is wrong?

Was he allowing them put handcuffs on? Or was he in fact resisting arrest? Why was he being arrested?

Was he allowing them put handcuffs on? Or was he in fact resisting arrest? Why was he being arrested?

I can see very little resistance in that video, if they cant get cuffs on a guy this tame then they have no business being guards.

As i said before id hate to see them face an actual challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

that's ultimately irrelevant and justifies nothing.

I don't care what you think.

Let's not be beastly to the scumbags.

LeBash wrote: »
    Get outta that, the video is 2.07 long and he offered plenty of resistance to being cuffed. Cops arent child minders. They dont need to wait for someone to be all tuckered out to cuff them. This guy wont even have a scratch on him and he was given plenty of time to offer his hands to be cuffed. He wont have been on the ground like this without giving the cops reason.

There isnt even a case of "brutality" to look into here. The man resisted arrest for 90 seconds that we know of and got a few jabs. What other way should it be dealt with?

In the UK a taser would most likely be pointed at the man, the US several guns, in Germany, Italy and Spain there would be a good chance of a baton being used and potentially a gun pointed at him but this is wrong?

What video are you watching?

The guy is flat on his stomach and between the three of them they lack the skills required to put handcuffs on him..which is fcuking scary.

Ive personally seen people on nights out act and lash out far worse than this guy and they were handled and restrained with ease.

KM792 wrote: »
    What happened the young lad years ago who died in Clonmel garda station?

Think his parents wanted him to spend the night in custody to teach him a lesson.
    It must have haunted them to make that decision.

They lost another son to violence years later.

What nonsense. He was assaulted days before his arrest for a public order offence while high on drink and drugs. As for his parents wanting to have him arrested to teach him a lesson, beyond ridiculous.

The guy is flat on his stomach and between the three of them they lack the skills required to put handcuffs on him..which is fcuking scary.

Ive personally seen people on nights out act and lash out far worse than this guy and they were handled and restrained with ease.

Where were his arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’ve never seen that and I’d say I’m much older than you.
    You seem to be mixing with very bad company
    Stay safe.

• Advertisement

Where were his arms?

Watch the video.

Advertisement