Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda brutality in Clonmel April 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Three hefty guards, unable to restrain and apply handcuffs to a guy who is face down and putting up little to no resistance that I can see...then, frustrated by their own lack of ability proceed to lash out at the guy with kicks, punches and a baton.

Beggars belief how these three made it out of templemore.

As an ex fit doorman with another who held 3 different martial arts belts,we could barely contain one guy totally coked up ,,,,,, struggled big time for a few minutes until he just list the mad energy,so it's not black and white bud

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Its funny it never crossed my mind to ever bring a weapon into a night club. good enough for him.

Weapon was a bit of wood down his tracksuit bottom,not a knife etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

As an ex fit doorman with another who held 3 different martial arts belts,we could barely contain one guy totally coked up ,,,,,, struggled big time for a few minutes until he just list the mad energy,so it's not black and white bud

The person in this video is offering very limited resistance, far from a coked out maniac.

The person in this video is offering very limited resistance, far from a coked out maniac.

But you accept that he WAS resisting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

What nonsense. He was assaulted days before his arrest for a public order offence while high on drink and drugs. As for his parents wanting to have him arrested to teach him a lesson, beyond ridiculous.

Really? They were obviously not having much success teaching him themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Here is the rub of it,

That could be any of us beinv treated like that in the video. It's a shocking way they have handled the situation and if it happened in the states we'd be saying how nasty it was.

This guy could well be the local thug but that doesnt give AGS a free shot at him.

It is wrong on all levels and shouldnt be happening. They should be sacked and criminal charges brought. When they have him on the ground there is no need at all to be punching him.

Anything in national media or have AGS made a statement?

He may have though we didn't see the full video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Allinall

Here is the rub of it,

That could be any of us beinv treated like that in the video. It's a shocking way they have handled the situation and if it happened in the states we'd be saying how nasty it was.

This guy could well be the local thug but that doesnt give AGS a free shot at him.

It is wrong on all levels and shouldnt be happening. They should be sacked and criminal charges brought. When they have him on the ground there is no need at all to be punching him.

Anything in national media or have AGS made a statement?

How do you figure that?

I can be 100% certain that I will never be in that situation.

He may have though we didn't see the full video

And if he was those digs he got would of been justified to bring him down, id have zero problem with that, as i said previously i don't have a problem with scumbags getting rough treatment when its required, this situation for me didn't warrant it because he was already caught and subdued, then they pummeled him out of frustration it looked like, its the doing it when he's already caught and subdued i take issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A weapon is a weapon, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

He's resisting arrest, the guards seem to have done him a favour and only used a light amount of force instead of pulling out the pepper spray or taser.

Any person stopped by the guards and needing to be wrestled to the floor that resists arrest needs to be dealt with the quickest way possible, the guards are busy enough and should be able to subdue and arrest quickly so they can get all the paperwork done and back on the street, not waste half an hour waiting for him to make his hands available for cuffing.

No idea if he has/had a weapon but there could be anything concealed and not showing your hands is potential to cause harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do you mind if we start beating you with it or maybe use a sharpened end to stab you?
    The usual keyboard warrior know alls, who would **** in their pants if someone threatened them with a lollipop, making a decision on a few seconds of a tape.
    Scumbags should be left in no notice that if they act the **** they will be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

All i see is someone resisting an arrest. Video does not show context

Allinall wrote: »
    How do you figure that?

I can be 100% certain that I will never be in that situation.

I'm sure Maurice McCabe thought the same.

When did he get punched by Gardai for resisting arrest?

I’d be interested in seeing the video.

Google him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

He got much worse than that. It is a good example of what happens when the AGS think the law doesn't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

I live near Clonmel.
    I know the majority of people in Clonmel are very happy to see the Gardai take this guy to task and finally fight back against his type who have made parts of the town a no go area for a long time.

If you do nothing wrong the Guards and the law should be there to protect you. If you break the law do not expect the protection of other laws. For too long criminals and the justice industry that protects and profits from them have had an al la carte approach to the law. You can't pick and choose which laws you want to be applied to you.

That was the original meaning of the word Outlaw. It wasn't that the criminal was breaking the law. It was that he/she had put themselves outside the protection of the law.

I for one applaud the guards and will be happy to contribute to any fund set up to pay for their defense should the GSOC or the Justice Industry attempt to punish them.

Look over there!

Google him.

I did.

Didn't see any mention of him being punched by gardai for resisting arrest.

Could you show it to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

touts wrote: »
    I live near Clonmel.
    I know the majority of people in Clonmel are very happy to see the Gardai take this guy to task and finally fight back against his type who have made parts of the town a no go area for a long time.

If you do nothing wrong the Guards and the law should be there to protect you. If you break the law do not expect the protection of other laws. For too long criminals and the justice industry that protects and profits from them have had an al la carte approach to the law. You can't pick and choose which laws you want to be applied to you.

That was the original meaning of the word Outlaw. It wasn't that the criminal was breaking the law. It was that he/she had put themselves outside the protection of the law.

I for one applaud the guards and will be happy to contribute to any fund set up to pay for their defense should the GSOC or the Justice Industry attempt to punish them.

Yeah but I cant go to work and assault someone as part of my job. Neither can the Guards its a criminal offence so in essence it makes them no better than those they are trying to lock up. It calls the whole Policing system into disripute.

I live near Clonmel.

I don't think a few light digs in the leg are going to get him to mend his ways. The issue will be that he gets yet another slap on the wrist.

I did.

Didn't see any mention of him being punched by gardai for resisting arrest.

Could you show it to me?

What happened to Maurice is an example of what AGS do to you if you cross them for anything.

Perhaps this guy did deserve the savage hiding he got. But that doesn't make it right.

AGS are not above the law, no matter what.

What happened to Maurice is an example of what AGS do to you if you cross them for anything.

Perhaps this guy did deserve the savage hiding he got. But that doesn't make it right.

Exactly. There is no benefit to doing it either. It will have no effect on the guy they are trying to arrest. The AGS first and foremost need to obey the law themselves. This guy could end up getting a payout and the only reason is because the gardai were getting frustrated with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

The bit in bold made me laugh out loud. I hope you're never in a fight if that's what you think. Looks to me like AGS are upholding the law as is their job.

I live near Clonmel.

Im from Clonmel, did this definitely happen in Clonmel? Heard nothing about it.

The bit in bold made me laugh out loud. I hope you're never in a fight if that's what you think. Looks to me like AGS are upholding the law as is their job.
    Obviously never played Junior B

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I live near Clonmel.

if you break the law, absolutely do expect the protection of other laws, as the laws are there to protect everyone across the board and quite rightly so.

i would be surprised if 3 gards punching someone constitutes upholding the law.
    i would expect there are proper procedures to follow to deal with actual resisting of arrest, or only sort of / just about or whatever brand one might engage in.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

your understanding of the events and out come of maurice mcabe and vents surrounding him is lacking in the extreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Im from Clonmel, did this definitely happen in Clonmel? Heard nothing about it.

Not much talk of this "Brutality" around clonmel.Its just anti-gardai-internet people need something to complain about.

nothing to see here in clonmel.move on:)

Advertisement