Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Cable

Options

Comments

Let me direct the thread back to the original question Gentlemen because I've a bee in my bonnet!

"What would you do?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

CSA = pi * (radius x 2)

Not radius x 2, radius x radius

Oh bottom!...:o

OK 25mm² Ebay jank is 24mm² not accounting for the air inside and smaller than my electrical wholesaler 25mm² and resistance checking as 16mm²

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

"What would you do?"

Suggestion #1 is in my first post on this thread: Parallel conductor + avoid Ebay for cable.

Suggestion #2 is in my last post on this thread: Start again. No paralleling, go with tri rated panel flex from a reputable source. This is available in red and will work up to 105 DegC which exceeds your requirements.

• Advertisement

OK 25mm² Ebay jank is 24mm² not accounting for the air inside and smaller than my electrical wholesaler 25mm² and resistance checking as 16mm²

I presume you checked resistance of length of confirmed 25² too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Did I mention fitters are installing this shyte in ambulances and fire service vehicles?...Sure they're probably overspec-ed until the cows come home...doesn't make it right.

They're buying the cable off eBay?

2011 wrote: »
    Suggestion #1 is in my first post on this thread: Parallel conductor + avoid Ebay for cable.

Suggestion #2 is in my last post on this thread: Start again. No paralleling, go with tri rated panel flex from a reputable source. This is available in red and will work up to 105 DegC which exceeds your requirements.

And just let the suppliers away with it?

Bruthal wrote: »
    I presume you checked resistance of length of confirmed 25² too.

Nope. Notice only one side of that fuse holder melted!
    There's no way I can get Elandflex in the wrong sized lug.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just to add:
    Fine stranded cables such as those pictured take different (smaller) lug sizes that cables with "standard" heavier strands. It is best to use lugs that are specifically designed for fine strands so as to ensure a proper fit and descent connection.

It is normal to find that a 25 mm lug will fit snugly onto a 25mm sq. cable but will be too large on a 25 mm sq. fine stranded panel flex type cable. The smaller strands result in a smaller overall diameter conductor.

Voltage drop tested 1m @ 150A with Fluke 87V

Yes i was actually posting to test 10 meters with 100 amps and volt drop but didnt post it.

• Advertisement

Loozer wrote: »
    They're buying the cable off eBay?

Seller's claimed technical rebuttal.

I didn't comment on that. There is nothing to stop you pursuing a refund in parallel with finishing the project for your customer.

However I think you are unlikely to win regardless of where the blame lies.

Seller's claimed technical rebuttal.

You mean they said it?

Yes i was actually posting to test 10 meters with 100 amps and volt drop but didnt post it.

Post self-destructed.

I haven't tested the good stuff, I chopped up all my stock trying to figure out why the fuse-holders were self-combusting under rated load ("500A").

You mean they said it?

Yes. "Thousands of meters a month."

I wired up a load of.houses one time with bad bell wire

Wouldn't.fire up the chimes and the resistance was high

Lesson learned even though I had bought it from a wholesaler

There was a scandal too with the T+E about 10-15 years ago, bad cable I think sourced by reputable ?wholesalers through turkey

There was a scandal too with the T+E about 10-15 years ago, bad cable I think sourced by reputable ?wholesalers through turkey

Yes there was. Price of copper causing a bit of shaving of sizes.

Yes there was. Price of copper causing a bit of shaving of sizes.

I thought it was the purity of the copper , can't remember exactly

Wholesalers are not immune from it, the more established and reputable are less risky to buy from

That’s how I remember it. I referred to this in an earlier post.
    Wholesalers are not immune from it, the more established and reputable are less risky to buy from

Not immune but you have recourse if it goes pear shaped.

What result did the 1 meter of 25 cable give with 150 amps on it?
    10 meters would obviously be better.

• Advertisement

Maybe so, just thought I remember a question over sizes before.

That’s how I remember it. I referred to this in an earlier post.

Not immune but you have recourse if it goes pear shaped.

The only recourse RECs ever had was replacement

I'm thinking back to the issue with neozed switch fuses where all you got was a replacement switch for your time

Was any REC ever compensated for his time ripping out cabling or switchgear?

What result did the 1 meter of 25 cable give with 150 amps on it?
    10 meters would obviously be better.

1.1mΩ

The only recourse RECs ever had was replacement

You are missing the point.
    There are two costs:
    1) Materials
    2) Time

It is far easier to get a wholesaler to replace substandard cable FOC than someone on EBay. Regarding the cost in time, RECs generally have to take the hit (which is unfair). However it is not as bad as having to pay for the materials too.

..or burning down people's vehicles...because they won't blame the Ebay seller.

1.1mΩ
    0.165v drop on the meter of cable with 0.103v expected?

You are missing the point.
    There are two costs:
    1) Materials
    2) Time

It is far easier to get a wholesaler to replace substandard cable FOC than someone on EBay. Regarding the cost in time, RECs generally have to take the hit (which is unfair). However it is not as bad as having to pay for the materials too.

The minimum recourse which was my point

Wouldn't like to be one of the RECs who had to rip all the cabling out of a job

1.65v drop on the meter of cable with 1.03v expected?

1.1mΩ = 0.0011Ω

So at 150 amps the volt drop = 0.0011 x 150 = 0.165 volts per meter

Wouldn't like to be one of the RECs who had to rip all the cabling out of a job

Neither would I but it could be worse if the materials had to be paid for too.....

• Advertisement

1.1mΩ = 0.0011Ω

So at 150 amps the volt drop = 0.0011 x 150 = 0.165 volts per meter
    Yea I still had my 10 meters in the head.

Advertisement