Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Cable

Options

Comments

for the 25mm²
    the test load was 162A
    measured voltage drop was 180mV
    0.18V / 162A = 0.001111Ω
    cross reference 1.2mΩ per meter here = 16mm ²

10mm² tested it to be 2.3mΩ per meter @ 169A iirc (did heat up quickly so not that scientific)
    This makes it 8.5mm²
    10mm² lugs fall off the cables after compression...I've been using a blue insulated terminal crimper instead.

35mm² is buried under 60kg of lead.

2011 wrote: »
    Out of interest what is wrong with tri rated panel flex??

Not available in red 35mm²:(

Welding cable...:(
    or marine...:eek:
    or roll the dice again...:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not available in red 35mm²:(

Yes it is see link and link.

I purchased a lot of it in this size over the years for panel builds.

Welding cable...:(
    or marine...:eek:
    or roll the dice again...:(

No need to.
    Believe me this is a cable type that ticks all of the boxes for you.

Hrmm ok, none of my local suppliers are doing it.

276 strands? Ah welding cable is double that....how flexible is it if I'm bending 90 with a needle nose I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

So the concensus is that if one buys from Ebay one should not expect quality/to get what one pays for.

Well obviously you would expect quality but putting trust in an online seller on ebay could have its pitfalls as you unfortunately have experienced.

I buy loads off ebay so im not saying its a bad place to buy stuff but there is a few things i wouldn't buy off it and electrical cabling is one of them. Id rather go into the wholesalers and see what cable they have.

• Advertisement

Actually having a hard time finding a seller on ebay with different stock...it's all mostly the same shyte, same brand, I guess it's too cheap for some bizazare reason. I've asked a few competitors with alternative brands if there's is genuine because of the difficulty I'm having....angel.gif

I bought a car exhaust off Ebay with a massive hole and the filler rod sticking outtov it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/2012848-35mm-tri-rated-cable-red-cut-length-sold-by-the-mtr

Add in the htp we

Is that what you're looking for? Cef would get it for you

And stop buying cable off eBay!!

Deadly thanks loozer....Ooooh orange welding cable tooo! tomatosplat.gif

I could start an EV division...:pac:

..Uk address required...sigh

I could start an EV division...:pac:

..Uk address required...sigh

Ring cef and they'll get it brought over to the local store I'd say

I'm assuming red is prob still a phase/line colour in the UK, not even sure on that one

• Advertisement

Don't forget to check the polarity of the wire before you connect it up to the DC

Really? Which part of describing building 200A peak nominal systems made you think it was my first rodeo?

That was a joke about the polarity of the wire

Thanks.
    Mwahaha...much easier when it's red...
    I'm used to inheriting jobs where everything is black but it had a bittov red tape on the ends that fell off 7 years ago.

I've seen installations with half the +12V is black because the installer ran outtov red and didn't fancy getting more.
    Electric showers on 13A plugs with the CU inline in reach from the shower with a 12V pump isolator.

No earthing because mains is all on a trailing lead...that's cable clipped along the barge kitchen.
    Fridges that don't work because no ventilation...repairations were declined because the didn't realise they'd lose their van heater.

Most bilge pumps are tea-bagged into the abyss once a week using two hairy wires that lurk beneath the companionway.

Butt crimps 4 series.

2.5mm² battery feeders from factory.

Raw copper conductors hard mounted, corroded from petrol drips.

Solder as fuse wire.

Vessels risen from the basin and fixed with a hair-drier.

€600 boxes I can out perform with a contactor...

..oh how I laugh when sparks tell me the dangers of attempting to swap a circuit breaker myself...

...putting axe down...
    ...walking away from grindstone....Thursday..latest

511903.jpg

35mm² = 448 strands of 0.293mm diameter
    0.1465mm = strand radius
    0.1465² x pi x 448 = 30mm²

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

They are including the air under a new chinese defininition -
    CSA = Cross Sectional Airea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

35mm² = 448 strands of 0.293mm diameter
    0.1465mm = strand radius
    0.1465² x pi x 448 = 30mm²
    The resistances are correct in the table for actual size there, so at least you know where you are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When I use the same values as Sir Liamalot (448 strands of 0.293mm diameter)

I find that the cross sectional area to be much closer to what the data sheet states. My calculated value is 32.9 mm²

When strands are that fine it is important to use all of the decimal places that the calculator offers.

30.2 I was getting.
    After 2 decimal places it wont make a big difference, although it would if the initial figures were fractions, so it is all relative.
    30.19 if pi is taken as 3.14

You are both correct, my bad :(
    I used the wrong number of strands!

• Advertisement

Three of us with adding blunders in one thread:D

Bruthal wrote: »
    Three of us with adding blunders in one thread:D

I am almost disappointed with the admissions of making mistakes and the complete lack of oneupmanship :D:D

Strand thickness is 0.26mm according to two of my digital callipers...

[Donning war paint]

I thought I recognised the table you posted. Is it this crowd?

M****y A**o Electrical Services Ltd also trading as S***Charge.co.uk a***electrical.parts etc. etc.

They've been churning that stuff out as part of kits for boats, vans and motorhomes for years.

Answering that might close the thread.

Answering that might close the thread.

Yes, sorry, I have edited.

Wanna borrow some Tippex? :D

Wanna borrow some Tippex? :D

Is it from ebay?

Does the sizing even tell you the whole story re: the CCC of the wire

What are the chances the copper is also impure?

• Advertisement

100% not fit for duty.

Advertisement