Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duties Information

Options
  • 05-05-2020 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I live overseas in the developing world and want to support a local leather goods business. To that end, I want to place an order with them and export the goods to Ireland.

This is very much a trial run - I don't have a VAT number in Ireland right now. I want to just get the goods across and test the market just to kick things off.

Does anyone know what the import duties are for these types of goods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

AFIK it depends very much on where 'overseas' is, there will be different tariffs on goods coming from different countries.

Here is a database of the tariffs on goods coming into the EU, think your stuff may be found in section VIII. Good luck finding out exactly what rate applies... (you'll need it) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Firblog wrote: »
    AFIK it depends very much on where 'overseas' is, there will be different tariffs on goods coming from different countries.
    In this case,it's Ecuador.
    Here is a database of the tariffs on goods coming into the EU, think your stuff may be found in section VIII.
    Thanks.
    Good luck finding out exactly what rate applies... (you'll need it) :D
    Yeah, no shít!! I managed to get as far as that website last night....well, I mean I think I got it rounded down but they certainly don't make it easy! I guess I'll try and figure it out as best I can and then try and get in touch with someone in Revenue to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Yeah I had a similar reaction when I had to use it for the first time.. Like that I eventually rang revenue, got chatting to a decent guy and we kinda figured it out between us what it was (0 rated thankfully); just remember VAT will be levied on the goods anyway, excise tax is the one that will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

This is a nice website for seeing tariffs between countries once you know your HS code: http://tao.wto.org/report/ExportMarketV2.aspx

You might have to set up an account but hit the link above, log in and then click 'Duties faced in export markets'. Enter necessary details and then you can see the tariffs when im/exporting to and from different countries.

Advertisement