Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a front baby seat on carbon forks

Options
  • 05-05-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a Thule Yepp Nexxt baby seat so I can take the little fella out for short cycles as he is nearly 1 now. I found a decent price for one on bike24: https://www.bike24.com/p2224497.html?q=yepp but was wondering how safe they are if mounted onto a carbon fork. There is an A-head stem adapter available (which I will also get) but just wondering if anyone on here has used them mounted onto a carbon fork - my worry is the weight and vibrations might crack the carbon.

Thank You
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Sounds like you need another bike. :D

Honestly I wouldn't put one of those things on a a good bike I built another bike for carrying the kids etc when they were younger.

Build yourself up a single speed they're cheap to build and handy to have one knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

ha. Yeah I tried the N+1 but she's having none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've a weeride seat that fits to a bar mounted between headset and seat post.

Used on Commuter road bike with carbon front fork for crèche runs and weekend spins with the nipper.

Sure you might as well go for it! Worst case is new bike down the line right..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Grassey wrote: »
    I've a weeride seat that fits to a bar mounted between headset and seat post.

Used on Commuter road bike with carbon front fork for crèche runs and weekend spins with the nipper.

Sure you might as well go for it! Worst case is new bike down the line right..

Yep,
    This is similiar to the one I have. Child loves it and can still fit our (relatively small) six year old in it if required.
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/child-bike-seats/360294.html

kippy wrote:
    Yep, This is similiar to the one I have. Child loves it and can still fit our (relatively small) six year old in it if required.

Yeah similar type, I just removed the pedestal and used the hole under it to move the seat further forward for more space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

kippy wrote: »
    Yep,
    This is similiar to the one I have. Child loves it and can still fit our (relatively small) six year old in it if required.
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/child-bike-seats/360294.html

Would this work on road bike or would I be better of picking up second hand mountain bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

stones81 wrote: »
    Would this work on road bike or would I be better of picking up second hand mountain bike

It'll work but from my experience a hybrid or old mtb is ideal as a pack mule.

49867965612_007a24fcb7_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

stones81 wrote: »

I've seen it on a road bike but wouldn't have any knowledge of how it works. I have it on a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Cheers I'll try pick up second hand mountain bike or hybrid then

• Advertisement

stones81 wrote:

Depends... I'd mine on a road bike, so long as I didn't try a very tight turn there was no rush of hitting the foot cage with the drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The geometry of a hybrid would be better for this sort of thing too. Or a city bike of some kind. Depends on the mountain bike, but the plainer ones would be ok (ones without rigid forks and frame), I think.

Advertisement