Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam AIB text?

• 05-05-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

I just got a text message from an unknown number titled "AIB ALERT" saying:

"Your AIB Debit Card is deactivated due to a suspicious charge made at 11:17 05-05-2020

Proceed to AIB-reviewpayment.com to review the suspicious transaction"

I am assuming this is a scam as I don't have an AIB debit card :pac:

Just to warn anyone who might also get this text.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I just got a text message from an unknown number titled "AIB ALERT" saying:

"Your AIB Debit Card is deactivated due to a suspicious charge made at 11:17 05-05-2020

Proceed to AIB-reviewpayment.com to review the suspicious transaction"

I am assuming this is a scam as I don't have an AIB debit card :pac:

Just to warn anyone who might also get this text.

No not at all, put all your details in and be nice enough to correct them with all your other card details, pps, address, passport photo and anything else you think may be necessary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The only message you’ll ever get from AIB is one that says:

AIB: Please confirm spend with card ending 1234. 05/05 € 22.95 at RETAILER NAME. If this is yours reply "Y" if not reply "N". We have placed a hold on your card.

(Reply: Y)

AIB: Thank you for confirming spend of €22.95 at RETAILER NAME. It's ok to continue using your card.

Never, ever, ever, ever a clickable link.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Xertz wrote: »

Never, ever, ever, ever a clickable link.

even sharing the full link on here is irresponsible. there will be people that will click on it and share their details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

donnyvegas wrote: »
    even sharing the full link on here is irresponsible. there will be people that will click on it and share their details.

You’d want to be fairly thick to follow the link on this thread and then enter all your account details.

Part of the problem though is there’s an inconsistency in how banks operate these things themselves.

They need to show you exactly what communication to expect from them and keep reiterating that.

I find you can get texts and calls out of the blue, having never encountered them before.

Even the online security where you’re suddenly and randomly redirected is very bad as it makes people assume unfamiliar is normal.

All authentication should be via a known SMS pattern or push notifications through their apps. Anything else is highly dangerous.

I also keep telling my father to ****stop**** just googling “Bank of Ireland online banking” and type in the address as you could be going anywhere.

He’s a technical person, did a large chunk of computer science in his degree, can write COBOL code, ran a company but still asks questions like “so is Google not my browser ?!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

donnyvegas wrote: »

I laughed out loud....

• Advertisement
Advertisement