Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog sick from deli chicken?

• 05-05-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my 8 year old lurcher cross has been sick for the last 24 hours. She was sick about three times yesterday, overnight, and again this morning. She's off her food and a bit more lethargic than usual (she spends most days just lying around)

I have a vet appointment at 3pm today, but just wanted to ask advice here.

She eats kibble and occasionally I drop in very small pieces of chicken, that I cook myself. However the other day I gave her a small piece of roast chicken from a pack, which I was using in a sandwich. Would this have be enough to make her that ill?

I noticed on the ingredients that the chicken also contained salt, and vinegar, so I'm wondering if the salt content just didn't agree with her. I'm concerned as it's been ongoing for a full day now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It sounds more like a bug tbh. Bailey was sick yesterday evening for about 3 hours! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

tk123 wrote: »
    It sounds more like a big tbh.

I don't quite get you... a big tbh?

Anyway back from vet and prob just an upset stomach. Have meds which I know are going to be impossible to get into her!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A typo methinks :) Should read "bug"!

DBB wrote: »
    A typo methinks :) Should read "bug"!

ooops yes it was a typo ! fixed it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Anyway back from vet and prob just an upset stomach. Have meds which I know are going to be impossible to get into her!

Tuck the tablet into something very nice like a lump of cheese or a smear of peanut butter or if she likes tuna/sardine?

If shes particularly reluctant, I would crush the tablet, mix really well with a small glob of peanut butter, and smear it into her mouth with your finger - the stickiness of the peanut butter will mean she cant dump the pill - wont taste it - and will spend ages licking the peanut butter out of her teeth!

Glad to hear its just a tummy bug

• Advertisement

Mini marshmallows are good for hiding medicine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

tk123 wrote:
    Mini marshmallows are good for hiding medicine

I wouldn't recommend sugar for a dog.

tedpan wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend sugar for a dog.

A vet actually recommended them to me. They worked very well getting Lucy to take her tablets for months..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

tk123 wrote:
    A vet actually recommended them to me. They worked very well getting Lucy to take her tablets for months..

Very strange, I've never heard of it before. Hope Lucy's better now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My tried and trusted method is:
    Take 3 pieces of something yummy. Ham, cheese, whatever. Wrap the meds in one of them.
    Give them one of the pieces, just to warm them up :)
    Then give them the medicated piece.
    Then IMMEDIATELY offer them the 3rd bit... they often focus so much on the 3rd bit, they'll gulp the medicated bit down.
    Ta daaaa!

• Advertisement

I'm struggling with the medicine to be honest. I have a liquid to ease the nausea that I have to give her with a syringe; so far out of three attempts I've got it in her mouth once.

The vet gave me special gastrointestinal food to give her for a day or two but she has no interest in it (is a fussy eater anyway).

The half pill was hidden inside a nice piece of juicy (home cooked) chicken, and she had no interest in it either.

She was sick once overnight, just liquid. Not sure what my options are if she won't take the medicine or eat the food.

Her last meal was Monday morning so I'm guessing eventually hunger will take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

My dog was out for 2 days after eating chilli sausage - my fault.

Hardly moved, didnt drink, didnt eat, woulnd leave bed. Brought her to the VET who didnt do much.

Day 3 got her to eat boiled chicken and then suddenly back to normal. If they are not used to somthing it can take a couple of days.

PS she nicked 2 of the kids easter eggs previously. Zero effect only noticed when household fights broke out and a search was undertaken - found half eaten boxes in her bed. So she is normally very robust.

I'm struggling with the medicine to be honest. I have a liquid to ease the nausea that I have to give her with a syringe; so far out of three attempts I've got it in her mouth once.

I have the same prob with Bailey as he has his piece of jaw missing. I’d normally just squish into his bowl with something he likes - some yogurt, smoothie, bone broth but no use to you if she’s not eating. For the pills you can get those syringe things to get the pill down... the only problem is they can become reluctant/suspicious to take anything from you then. Forcing pills into Lucy broke my heart :(

It could be that she just feels too sick to eat atm...the catch 22 is that she could get sick from having an empty tummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I have two collie-lurchers and chicken never agreed with them.
    I've given them a small piece while carving a roast chicken a handful of times and every time they're stomachs will be off.
    They're both young so bounce back quickly, but I could see them being a bit slower when they are older.

I've given them a small piece while carving a roast chicken a handful of times and every time they're stomachs will be off.
    They're both young so bounce back quickly, but I could see them being a bit slower when they are older.

That's exactly the breed we have, a lurcher-collie cross. She's older (8) and was a stray so who knows what her history has been!

I'd be giving her small pieces of shredded chicken in her food for a few weeks now, and had no problems. But I might review that now and stick to the dry food only.

I'm guessing she'll eat when she comes around a bit. She's a slight bit more lively today, though still more lethargic than usual. She had a spot of the runs this morning too, so it's obviously all happening! Hopefully she'll eat something by tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That seems so strange I would have thought plain chicken was one of the best things you could give dogs in terms of nutrition and digestibility.
    My pair love it anyway.

I'd agree with the peanut butter, always found it good for sneaking a tablet in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

If they are used to it, it's fine.
    Mine have been a bit spoiled and have a fish based diet. Any change does affect them, but a deli meat might be a bit fattier.
    That's exactly the breed we have, a lurcher-collie cross. She's older (8) and was a stray so who knows what her history has been!

I'd be giving her small pieces of shredded chicken in her food for a few weeks now, and had no problems. But I might review that now and stick to the dry food only.

I'm guessing she'll eat when she comes around a bit. She's a slight bit more lively today, though still more lethargic than usual. She had a spot of the runs this morning too, so it's obviously all happening! Hopefully she'll eat something by tomorrow.
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    That seems so strange I would have thought plain chicken was one of the best things you could give dogs in terms of nutrition and digestibility.
    My pair love it anyway.

I'd agree with the peanut butter, always found it good for sneaking a tablet in.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    My pair love it anyway.

Thanks, mine never showed any interest in peanut butter either! Fussy eater. She's a very anxious dog at the best of times by virtue of being an older rescue dog. So it'll always be a struggle to get her to do things that might be simple solutions for other dogs.

Advertisement