Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibre outside my door but cannot order

• 05-05-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I live in a new build in a housing estate.

I am trying to set us up with Internet.
    Our EirCode does not show us as having fibre available to our address, fair enough.

I called Eir a few weeks back and they confirmed the same, and said they would place an order for the Next Gen broadband. The cabinet is about 4km I think from the house, so wasn't expecting anything decent, but needed something!

The KN guy called out to set it up, but when he checked the manhole at the front of the house, there is / was no copper, only fibre. He said it was ready to go, and that he could have spliced it there and then and ran it through the conduit into the side of the house, but because the order was for a different product, he'd send back his findings to Eir to update the order.

I called Eir back but Open Eir's system still shows my address as not enabled, despite what the KN guy said.

So currently, I have no service available to me.

Can anyone advise, how or who can have the appropriate record updated so that any of the fibre vendors can order FTTH for me?
    Since the engineer actually assessed it and gave this feedback to Eir, should it be a simple case of them requesting Open Eir to update their record?

Also, given that there's no copper in the estate to even get us any type of line, is there any kind of 'minimum service entitlement' that all houses should get?
    I mean, as it is, I can't even get a landline from anyone, right?
    Is this, like, a basic human right or something?

Any advice or feedback anyone could give to help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mikiek14

E45DHC wrote: »
    Hi all,

I live in a new build in a housing estate.

I am trying to set us up with Internet.
    Our EirCode does not show us as having fibre available to our address, fair enough.

I called Eir a few weeks back and they confirmed the same, and said they would place an order for the Next Gen broadband. The cabinet is about 4km I think from the house, so wasn't expecting anything decent, but needed something!

The KN guy called out to set it up, but when he checked the manhole at the front of the house, there is / was no copper, only fibre. He said it was ready to go, and that he could have spliced it there and then and ran it through the conduit into the side of the house, but because the order was for a different product, he'd send back his findings to Eir to update the order.

I called Eir back but Open Eir's system still shows my address as not enabled, despite what the KN guy said.

So currently, I have no service available to me.

Can anyone advise, how or who can have the appropriate record updated so that any of the fibre vendors can order FTTH for me?
    Since the engineer actually assessed it and gave this feedback to Eir, should it be a simple case of them requesting Open Eir to update their record?

Also, given that there's no copper in the estate to even get us any type of line, is there any kind of 'minimum service entitlement' that all houses should get?
    I mean, as it is, I can't even get a landline from anyone, right?
    Is this, like, a basic human right or something?

Any advice or feedback anyone could give to help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

This may not work but its worth checking airwires records to see if your eir code is on there. Openeir can end up being slower than airwire to update their records in some cases

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 13 E45DHC

Mikiek14 wrote: »
    This may not work but its worth checking airwires records to see if your eir code is on there. Openeir can end up being slower than airwire to update their records in some cases

Hi thank you.

That shows also that FTTH isn't available, but will keep an eye on it there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

You have to get some form of access in your premises by law
    https://www.eir.ie/regulatoryinformation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

boardzz wrote: »

I don’t see what your saying? I have the same issue as the above. New house build and there is a fiber line next door and I can’t seem to get approved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Maybe try ordering with airwire? And then digiweb and so on.
    Just keep trying different companies until one is willing to put in the work to get your eircode added to the open eir database assuming it is eligible to be added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That some form of access (by irish rules) is dialup. There is no Universal Service Obligation for broadband in Ireland. Just for phone services.

/M

Interesting, thank you!

So presumably, I have a leg to stand on if I want to raise a complaint saying I've asked for a phone and some type of internet service, but they aren't providing?
    With Eir specifically I mean?

Marlow wrote: »
    That some form of access (by irish rules) is dialup. There is no Universal Service Obligation for broadband in Ireland. Just for phone services.

/M

Hi,

So based on what I understand, the phone service anyone would give me would be VOIP over Fibre anyways, since that's what is outside the house?
    There's no copper?

So if I'm entitled to a phone service, Fibre would be the only way for Eir to deliver it?
    And if so, at what point after waiting 'x' amount of time for a database to be updated are they in breach of their obligation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

So if I'm entitled to a phone service, Fibre would be the only way for Eir to deliver it

The regulation provides for that service to be supplied over Alternative Infrastructure such as the mobile network.

Have a read through the current regulation "Universal Service Requirements: Provision of access at a fixed location (AFL USO)" from 2016, Section 5 refers.

The regulation expires Jun 2021 and a new review is now required following the awarding of the NBP contract which will assess if USO requirement is still necessary.

The Cush wrote: »
    The regulation provides for that service to be supplied over Alternative Infrastructure such as the mobile network.

Have a read through the current regulation from 2016, Section 5 refers.

The regulation expires Jun 2021 and a new review is now required following the awarding of the NBP contract which will assess if USO requirement is still necessary.

Hi thanks for the link.
    I'm reading through it but I'm still not clear, does this mean that Eir don't have to provide me a landline, if they can provide a mobile instead?

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for the link.
    I'm reading through it but I'm still not clear, does this mean that Eir don't have to provide me a landline, if they can provide a mobile instead?

They can install an aerial on your premise, which gives you a landline .. and all that unit would be is a permanently mounted mobile phone service receiver.

Also, they have no time constraints in which to deliver the service. Some people have waited 5 years.

They certainly are not required to bring fibre nor copper to your home.

/M

They can install an aerial on your premise, which gives you a landline .. and all that unit would be is a permanently mounted mobile phone service receiver.

Also, they have no time constraints in which to deliver the service. Some people have waited 5 years.

They certainly are not required to bring fibre nor copper to your home.

/M

Okay thank you, that clarifies.

My hope was that if they were obliged to provide a phone service within e.g. 1 month of me requesting, and the fibre was already there, they'd just get the database updated so that I could place an order for FTTH.

But as it stands I guess I'm back to square 1 - live fibre outside my door but no way to order a fibre package from any vendor :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have your neighbours managed to get connected? Try putting their eircodes into the Airwire page to see if FTTH is available to them.

You need to find out if the issue is specific to your house or the whole estate. If it's the whole estate it might be worth asking a local politician to chase Openeir about it. If it's just your house, then you need to find someone helpful in Eir to follow up on it as it's probably a database issue, the fibre is there but hasn't been added to their system. Do you have the name/number of the KN guy, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

loyatemu wrote: »
    have your neighbours managed to get connected? Try putting their eircodes into the Airwire page to see if FTTH is available to them.

You need to find out if the issue is specific to your house or the whole estate. If it's the whole estate it might be worth asking a local politician to chase Openeir about it. If it's just your house, then you need to find someone helpful in Eir to follow up on it as it's probably a database issue, the fibre is there but hasn't been added to their system. Do you have the name/number of the KN guy, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

My row of houses is the last in the estate, most houses in the estate when I check on eir's availability checker, show as eligible for FTTH.

But beyond that, the KN guy had the manhole open and confirmed it was live, and ready to be connected. So my understanding is that it's purely an admin issue, and would be also for any neighbors also showing as not eligible.

That's a good shout about the KN guy.
    At the time, he passed on his report / findings with picutures of the fibre to the eir fulfilment team, but until now the eir fulfilment team haven't been able to get the open eir guys to update their DB, so the sales system can't place an order.

loyatemu wrote: »
    If it's the whole estate it might be worth asking a local politician to chase Openeir about it.

Politicians have no influence there either anymore. That old notion is gone the way of the dodo 20+ years, when Eircom was privatised. People still think it makes a difference, but it doesn't. The only thing a politician may take influence on, is to get the licenses granted to get OpenEIR going. But OpenEIR must have applied for those first.

However, if it's the whole estate, that isn't connected, then it's a problem caused by the builder or developer. Because they need to notify OpenEIR of the build and submit the plans, for OpenEIR to start looking at bringing the connectivity in.

And that's where the shortfall for a lot of these is. Often the developer only does this, when the build is complete. Not when the build starts. And it can take OpenEIR a year or so after they received the plans, before they take any action. They also need licenses from the council etc. and those departments don't work fast either.

/M

But beyond that, the KN guy had the manhole open and confirmed it was live, and ready to be connected. So my understanding is that it's purely an admin issue, and would be also for any neighbors also showing as not eligible.

When was your eircode issued ? Takes OpenEIR usually approx 6-9 months from the issue to get you into the database. And their FTTH services are not going to be delivered without them having the eircode as all FTTH now is indexed by eircode.

/M

When was your eircode issued ? Takes OpenEIR usually approx 6-9 months from the issue to get you into the database.

/M

It was issued in the February release.

Eir themselves didn't have an ARD number for our address until maybe 4 weeks back, also, in case that's relevant?

It was issued in the February release.

Eir themselves didn't have an ARD number for our address until maybe 4 weeks back, also, in case that's relevant?

Yes, it is. Ard number first, then associate it with the eircode, then get network builds in OpenEIR to cop on, that the premise is within a fibre rollout.

They may have been privatised 20+ years ago, but the inner structures of that bunch still work like they are state employees and one hand does not know, what the other is at... apart from, when it comes to tay time.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

State services aren’t that bureaucratic anymore! They seem to make a point of driving business away from themselves. It makes no sense.

Xertz wrote: »
    State services aren’t that bureaucratic anymore! They seem to make a point of driving business away from themselves. It makes no sense.

State services aren't ... but OpenEIR is on the state of state services 20 years ago :) There has been very little evolution. Even their databases are still based on the original databases from 1956 and 1972. The use of eircode was not implemented until 2016 and then also only half arsed.

/M

• Advertisement

Yes, it is. Ard number first, then associate it with the eircode, then get network builds in OpenEIR to cop on, that the premise is within a fibre rollout.

They may have been privatised 20+ years ago, but the inner structures of that bunch still work like they are state employees and one hand does not know, what the other is at... apart from, when it comes to tay time.

/M

Okay I guess I'm at step 3 so !

This is disappointing, but I've read enough here from others that I was not expecting much.

When the KN guy said the line was live and ready to go I thought I was in business! But will be waiting a while yet it looks.

Thanks for the info

Advertisement