Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    I thought he did well considering the extended barrage of incomprehension he had to face.

Yup dunno how she got past the front door to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Beasty wrote: »
    Trump would have had her sent to Gunatanamo Bay....

GowantamClew Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

is_that_so wrote: »
    I thought he did well considering the extended barrage of incomprehension he had to face.

I agree. He repeatedly answered her to the best of his ability, before eventually just letting her rant on - there was no point at that stage.

The irony though, is amazing. The Burke clan complain constantly that their views are being silenced and yet when one of them gets an opportunity to ask a question at a high profile press conference she won't let the subject of her question explain himself or even talk. It's like they are afraid of possibly reasonable answer that will give them nothing to protest and rail against, so it's better to just drown it out with noise. Awful, awful people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

*holds nose and dives in wrong end of pool...

Just watched the bit of press briefing on that facebook link given. Now I admit I speeded through bits after first few minutes as I have a low patience threshold. So maybe she did go bananas in parts I missed. Her mic was off after a while I noticed which is very State Broadcasting of them.
    Anyways my contrarian impression is she was right to press home about this. If Sally tested negative twice and had a congenital heart condition what the HELL was she doing on a Covid ward. It is absolutely terrible.
    (PS Tony Holohan is quite handsome. Never saw him in action before. Yes. That is how little I watch TV. )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arghus wrote: »
    I agree. He repeatedly answered her to the best of his ability, before eventually just letting her rant on - there was no point at that stage.

The irony though, is amazing. The Burke clan complain constantly that their views are being silenced and yet when one of them gets an opportunity to ask a question at a high profile press conference she won't let the subject of her question explain himself or even talk. It's like they are afraid of possibly reasonable answer that will give them nothing to protest and rail against, so it's better to just drown it out with noise. Awful, awful people.

They are like dogs chasing their own tail. Mad to catch it but when they catch it have no idea what to do.

The Burkes want to speak but when given the chance have nothing to actually say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gynoid wrote: »

Just watched the bit of press briefing on that facebook link given. Now I admit I speeded through bits after first few minutes as I have a low patience threshold. So maybe she did go bananas in parts I missed. Her mic was off after a while I noticed which is very State Broadcasting of them.
    Anyways my contrarian impression is she was right to press home about this. If Sally tested negative twice and had a congenital heart condition what the HELL was she doing on a Covid ward. It is absolutely terrible.
    (PS Tony Holohan is quite handsome. Never saw him in action before. Yes. That is how little I watch TV. )

You have terrible taste in men :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Fair play to you! Watch the whole thing though.

Journalists were allowed 3 questions, according to Shane Beatty - she had about 20 (mostly the same one).

She is clearly driven by another (right-wing Catholic) agenda.

If what she says is true, no, the person should not have been put in a Covid ward, but that is the responsibility of those who treated her, not the CMO.

And finally, yes - would be on the same page there:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is the Covid ward not an isolation ward? All personel in full PPE, and patients isolated from each other.

Are people triaged into non-covid and into possible/probable/tested covid patients? Those going the Covid route go into full isolation.

Without knowing the actual procedures operated by that particular hospital in that particular circumstance, how can anyone answer anything about that case.

A bottle of smoke.

Stheno wrote: »
    You have terrible taste in men :pac:

:D he is not my type. At all. But he is not bad.

So the teen must of had many of the major symptoms of coronavirus to be in hospital and put in the covid ward. She then tested positive and passed away.

Are they trying to say that she caught covid in the ward?

It would have been a bigger problem if she was put in a normal ward and then infected many more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You don't put a negative patient in a positive ward, unless you can guarantee his/her safety and isolation. If you have a patient with a suspected infective disease you isolate that patient from the rest, too, so that if s/he turns out to be negative then s/he won't be put at risk of catching it and if s/he turns out to be positive then s/he won't have put anyone else at risk of catching it, too.

Fair play to you! Watch the whole thing though.

Journalists were allowed 3 questions, according to Shane Beatty - she had about 20 (mostly the same one).

She is clearly driven by another (right-wing Catholic) agenda.

If what she says is true, no, the person should not have been put in a Covid ward, but that is the responsibility of those who treated her, not the CMO.

And finally, yes - would be on the same page there:)

Thanks.

There may be other agendas going on but I fail to see how they relate to the line of questioning. I did not think he answered clearly. I don't know if Covid ward is actually isolation rooms. If it is separate rooms that would be fine. But if not, then nope. She did not have Covid according to the two tests.

I won't watch the whole thing. :) Sorry, too lazy! It is just the substantive issue is valid. Unfortunate if it was marred by loopiness. But then it is the crazy people who sometimes have the angles that are later found to be true, though of course usually they are just the crazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Gynoid based on the debate I've had with friends and family since I reckon we're in a minority thinking that she was right to press him. The conclusion I've drawn is that all most people will see is the fact that she was interrupting and lost her temper.

It is of incredibly grave concern that a family lost their daughter so unnecessarily and it really does sound like a matter of public interest as trust in hospitals is already at an all-time low with people avoiding them like the coronavirus. (it's my new modern way of saying avoiding like the plague).

In one breath they're telling us it's safe to go into hospitals and in another they're saying that people can't access services such as their cervical smear check or other crucial medical interventions as it's too dangerous. There's constantly conflicting medical advice which is going to totally erode the trust of the public. During this time a minor with a congenital heart defect is found to have died under extremely shady circumstances having been kept from her family. That situation will not instil anyone with confidence and to top it all off, the NEPHET team continuously mute the microphone of a journalist who was demanding accountability in an impassioned and emotional.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the job of journalists on behalf of the public to make the government and health bodies answerable for these huge inconsistencies and very worrying events as we trundle further into each and every mess that is emerging from this while disaster.

Jesus please don't comment on Tony's appearance, the sight or sound of any of the public health team at this stage sends me into the pit of depression. Every day with this sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The CMO needs tough questioning but it doesn't give one much hope when a fake journalist can get access, so many mistakes are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

fritzelly wrote: »
    This is yer wan

https://twitter.com/jemimaburkeirl?lang=en

Seems she's on a crusade against government, garda etc

Is she part of that family of religious nutters that went to NUIG? They had many a run in with the university and it’s easy to see why if she’s one of them.

I agree that there are questions to be asked in that individual case.

If those are the actual facts of course. I have literally zero doubt that the Burkes are well capable of misrepresentating something because it suits them. But I wouldn't dismiss something out of hand completely because they say it. A stopped clock can be right, but I would examine what they say very, very carefully and see if the reality of the situation is what they claim it to be.

But to expect Tony Holohan to speak about an individual case in a press conference is unreasonable. He can only outline the DOH policy, which he tried to do, under an increasingly unhinged barrage. He can't speak about every individual clinical decision made in every hospital.

I did notice them shutting off her mic and it felt like a familiar play, but she was shouting at that stage, was becoming increasingly aggressive and obviously was not going to stop, so I don't know, what other options there were at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Feck, I wish I had thought of this, I have a few questions myself.

Largely about their modeling assumptions, academic papers on mask wearing going back to 1918 pandemic, contact tracing, etc.
    None about weddings or pub openings though.

Thanks.

There may be other agendas going on but I fail to see how they relate to the line of questioning. I did not think he answered clearly. I don't know if Covid ward is actually isolation rooms. If it is separate rooms that would be fine. But if not, then nope. She did not have Covid according to the two tests.

I won't watch the whole thing. :) Sorry, too lazy! It is just the substantive issue is valid. Unfortunate if it was marred by loopiness. But then it is the crazy people who sometimes have the angles that are later found to be true, though of course usually they are just the crazy people.

The agenda means that the questioner is not impartial (as she should be, being a 'journalist') and is therefore not necessarily to be trusted in her statement of the facts.

Potential mismanagement in any hospital is not a question for the CMO but firstly for the hospital in question and then for the HSE, not the Chief Medical Officer.

The CMO clearly said that NPHET's recommendations are that those who are Covid positive and those who are Covid negative should be kept separate wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

tiegan wrote: »

Thought my headphones were broken, sound only in left :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

s1ippy wrote: »
    Gynoid based on the debate I've had with friends and family since I reckon we're in a minority thinking that she was right to press him. The conclusion I've drawn is that all most people will see is the fact that she was interrupting and lost her temper.

It is of incredibly grave concern that a family lost their daughter so unnecessarily and it really does sound like a matter of public interest as trust in hospitals is already at an all-time low with people avoiding them like the coronavirus. (it's my new modern way of saying avoiding like the plague).

In one breath they're telling us it's safe to go into hospitals and in another they're saying that people can't access services such as their cervical smear check or other crucial medical interventions as it's too dangerous. There's constantly conflicting medical advice which is going to totally erode the trust of the public. During this time a minor with a congenital heart defect is found to have died under extremely shady circumstances having been kept from her family. That situation will not instil anyone with confidence and to top it all off, the NEPHET team continuously mute the microphone of a journalist who was demanding accountability in an impassioned and emotional.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the job of journalists on behalf of the public to make the government and health bodies answerable for these huge inconsistencies and very worrying events as we trundle further into each and every mess that is emerging from this while disaster.

Jesus please don't comment on Tony's appearance, the sight or sound of any of the public health team at this stage sends me into the pit of depression. Every day with this sh!t.
    I don't think there is any need to panic. TH couldn't and wouldn't comment on individual cases without knowing any of the facts. It is not ethical. I find it very hard to believe. If the girl had symptoms of Covid her GP would have been contacted and arranged for a test. On the basis of the results she would have been removed to hospital and placed in the appropriate place. If she was taken by ambulance to hospital in an emergency situation she would have been isolated and tested for Covid and the results would be available very quickly. It is not the case at all that a hospital would take a child let alone with underlying conditions who was negative for Covid and put them on a Covid ward. Common sense dictates this. There is more to this of course.

Maybe Louis Theroux could have a weird weekend with the Burkes?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

GowantamClew Bay

Is she a member of The Wesport Baptist Church?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Along with everyone else trying to borrow, credit lines dry up which can cause a potential bailout again. So yes that is an issue. You can't keep borrowing.

What are we borrowing for? Government said we had this money saved for a rainy day and it wont run out for a few weeks yet. We dont need to borrow a cent yet.

I wouldn't give them the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I wouldn't give them the publicity.

Nor him either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I said it last week, 2 weeks after Denmark started opening shops up there were images online and reports that social distancing had basically gone out the window.

Some posters here said not to draw conclusions from 1 country but it's quite obvious its human nature and not just 1 country.

Actually heard an Irish guy on the Matt Cooper show this evening who is living in Denmark and was talking about how that country were lifting their restrictions.He said that Denmark citizens are very disciplined and would obey any instructions given to them from their government,but even they were struggling to adhere to social distancing,as you said it's just human nature

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

Of course its terrible that this young girl died but I had never heard of this Burke family before this evening and perhaps it was one of her objectives to go to this press conference. To get some publicity, be it negative.

:P

I'm not sure that the kids (including this evening's questioner) can be entirely blamed as they have been exposed to their parents' beliefs from birth.

But they do seem remarkably similar to the Phelps, who founded the 'Westboro Baptist Church'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Hated_Family_in_America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

New Home wrote: »
    You don't put a negative patient in a positive ward, unless you can guarantee his/her safety and isolation. If you have a patient with a suspected infective disease you isolate that patient from the rest, too, so that if s/he turns out to be negative then s/he won't be put at risk of catching it and if s/he turns out to be positive then s/he won't have put anyone else at risk of catching it, too.

If this is what happened then they have every right to be fuming. I would be too and so would everyone else here. Okay it’s not directly Tony’s fault but a grieving family are looking for someone to blame and if she had a heart defect she never should have been put on that ward. Was it a relative of the deceased lashing out at Tony earlier? I’d nearly look past that and not judge her for it. She’s angry and righty so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement