Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Gynoid wrote: »
    *holds nose and dives in wrong end of pool...

Just watched the bit of press briefing on that facebook link given. Now I admit I speeded through bits after first few minutes as I have a low patience threshold. So maybe she did go bananas in parts I missed. Her mic was off after a while I noticed which is very State Broadcasting of them.
    Anyways my contrarian impression is she was right to press home about this. If Sally tested negative twice and had a congenital heart condition what the HELL was she doing on a Covid ward. It is absolutely terrible.
    (PS Tony Holohan is quite handsome. Never saw him in action before. Yes. That is how little I watch TV. )
    you don't expect him to get into a specific case there and then do you?, if they had asked general questions and not mentioned any name they might have gotten further

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If this is what happened then they have every right to be fuming. I would be too and so would everyone else here. Okay it’s not directly Tony’s fault but a grieving family are looking for someone to blame and if she had a heart defect she never should have been put on that ward. Was it a relative of the deceased lashing out at Tony earlier? I’d nearly look past that and not judge her for it. She’s angry and righty so.

Not a relative no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Very beneficial information on this podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__rOU2G_P8

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

A general plea that people don't comment on briefings unless they've watched them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

tiegan wrote: »
    Gemima Burke - western news
    Should be able to watch it back here - she starts her rant at 41.45 https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=248416209902605

I see she retweeted Jim Corr a couple of days ago. Enough said. If you want to defend bad practice you have to do it in a sane manner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I don't think there is any need to panic. TH couldn't and wouldn't comment on individual cases without knowing any of the facts. It is not ethical. I find it very hard to believe. If the girl had symptoms of Covid her GP would have been contacted and arranged for a test. On the basis of the results she would have been removed to hospital and placed in the appropriate place. If she was taken by ambulance to hospital in an emergency situation she would have been isolated and tested for Covid and the results would be available very quickly. It is not the case at all that a hospital would take a child let alone with underlying conditions who was negative for Covid and put them on a Covid ward. Common sense dictates this. There is more to this of course.
    You're absolutely right, and I'm very glad that these points have been raised. While he can't comment on individual cases, the general public are concerned about these matters as they're front-page news and it's definitely worth addressing them in order to give assurances that hospitals are safe. The problem is, he's not going to say hospitals are unsafe for many people at present. If I injured myself today, I don't know if I'd be willing to go with the present state of affairs. Several people I know do need to go to hospital and they're avoiding it. This case gives some vindication to their position.

CMO should be able to give assurances that the public will be safe in hospital, not cut off from their family and treated like mushrooms until their loved ones are informed of their mysterious, quick and untimely deaths.

That 17 year old probably was announced as "suspected covid death with underlying health condition". Some still believe that this means those people somehow had it coming. This case absolutely should be spoken about and the horrific situation for the family where it sounds like they still don't even know what the hell happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm not sure that the kids (including this evening's questioner) can be entirely blamed as they have been exposed to their parents' beliefs from birth.

But they do seem remarkably similar to the Phelps, who founded the 'Westboro Baptist Church'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Hated_Family_in_America

Reminded me of them too.

Parents are always to blame in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

France has employed a "traffic light" map to assess the progress of each département:

carte-de-france_060520_page_3.png?1588787840

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

Western People
    @WesternPeople
    ·
    4m
    At this evening's Department of Health briefing, an individual purporting to be from the 'Western News' asked several questions of CMO Dr Tony Holohan. We want to make it clear that the person in question, Jemima Burke, has no association with the Western People.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

you don't expect him to get into a specific case there and then do you?, if they had asked general questions and not mentioned any name they might have gotten further

No I don't. The first part where he said he would not comment directly on the case I was all on board. But then he was not overly clear. Separation mentioned. Hand movements. Generalities.
    I think it is very possible to speak generally in response to a question that is too particular. Especially as the question relates to public fears re hospital attendance.

Example of definitive but general answer - No. A patient who tests negative will never be put on a Covid ward. Especially not if that patient has underlying conditions. IF that has happened or will happen anywhere in Ireland there should be a thorough and immediate investigation. Thank you. Next.

• Advertisement

No I don't. The first part where he said he would not comment directly on the case I was all on board. But then he was not overly clear. Separation mentioned. Hand movements. Generalities.
    I think it is very possible to speak generally in response to a question that is too particular. Especially as the question relates to public fears re hospital attendance.

Example of definitive but general answer - No. A patient who tests negative will never be put on a Covid ward. Especially not if that patient has underlying conditions. IF that has happened or will happen anywhere in Ireland there should be a thorough and immediate investigation. Thank you. Next.

The reason he entertained her endless repetition of the same question (which was 1. politically motivated and 2. better directed at the specific HCWs, hospital, the HSE) was specifically because he doesn't want people to be deterred from going to hospital for emergencies.

Tony Holohan does not run any or all of the hospitals in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

France has employed a "traffic light" map to assess the progress of each département:

carte-de-france_060520_page_3.png?1588787840

I wonder what happened Mayotte?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

One thing I've realised since this whole thing started is the shocking bad quality of journalists in this country. The really poor questions being asked at the press conferences every day and the journalists inability to understand the answer being given is very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Today's Reddit/Gov.ie data recap

I'm trying to limit time in listening to radio news on it to just the 6pm bulliten and wasn't happy to hear as high a number of 37 today. I thought we'd start hitting 20 and below going forward

It does make you worry when the restrictions are lifted

All data below the line credit to the Reddit poster who combines Gov.ie data with the briefings

New Cases: 265
    Total Cases: 22248
    New Death: 37
    Total Deaths: 1375
    Deaths
    • Deaths: 1375
    • Hospitalised + died in hospital: 550 --> 40%
    • Died in ICU: 66 --> 4.8%
    • Underlying conditions: 1176 --> 85.5%
    • Median age: 84
    • Mean age: 82
    As of Monday 4th May
    • Cases: 21908
    • Hospitalised: 2878 --> 13.10%
    • Total In ICU: 373 --> 1.70%
    • Median Age: 49
    • Healthcare workers: 6393 --> Increase of 100
    Of 376 total admitted to ICU
    • Currently in ICU: 86
    • New admissions within last 24 hours: 2
    Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)
    • Clusters: 400 --> Increase of 6
    • Total Cases: 5370 --> Increase of 196
    • Total Deaths: 857
    • Place of death: 147 of 857 occurred in acute hospital environment.
    Nursing Homes
    • Clusters: 232 --> Increase of 3
    • Total Cases: 4268 --> Increase of 160
    • Total Deaths: 740 --> 53.80%
    • Place of death 118 of 740 occurred in acute hospital environment.
    Breakdown of Underlying Conditions
    Of the breakdown of 327 cases in ICU
    • Chronic heart disease:165 --> 50%
    • Chronic respiratory disease: 76 --> 36.60%
    • Diabetes: 74 --> 22.60%
    • Asthma with medication: 34
    • Cancer: 31
    • BMI > 40: 53
    • Chronic renal disease: 20
    Overlap between some of these - person with diabetes may have a BMI >40
    Recoveries
    • In community: 15711
    • Discharged from hospital: 1399
    • Total: 17110
    Questions
    • Asked about a delay in smear tests - women being turned away, one woman was given one due to previous history, but told it would take 20 weeks for results. Is this a GP issue, or a department issue?
    All screening programmes were halted. They will be recommenced. Engagement with screening service to determine when these will recommence. They want to get them back up running, without delaying longer than necessary. This will be the same for other hospital procedures.
    • How many people trained in contact tracing? Only 40 people were contact tracing yesterday
    2000 people trained. Step up and down the need. Contact tracing will be related to the number of cases. As we ease restrictions, increase of contact tracing
    • In broad terms, there isn't a greater number of deaths in communities and nursing homes than have been reported. Our reporting on deaths is slightly longer than we want, because people need to go into offices to register the death. There are now online means to register deaths online, which is quick and easy to do

I wonder what happened Mayotte?
    Mayotte was purchased by France in 1841

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The reason he entertained her endless repetition of the same question (which was 1. politically motivated and 2. better directed at the specific HCWs, hospital, the HSE) was specifically because he doesn't want people to be deterred from going to hospital for emergencies.

Don't make me watch it again so I can argue.....I'm beggin yàaaaaah. :)
    Nah. I 'm done. People can validly disagree. I get it was inappropriate or shouty or both. Just don't think it was crazy because it might be a terrible thing has happened. Don't know. Was just my unconditioned gut reaction. Remember now I have not watched these briefings before, so like I said maybe wrong end of the pool. That ain't nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

This reminds me of the scene in Extras when Andy Millman complained about a noisy Down Syndrome kid in a restaurant. The incident was completely twisted by the press and turned into - 'If he hit the kid and his wheelchair bound mother he should be taken off the telly'.

We don't know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Tony Holohan does not run any or all of the hospitals in Ireland.

Nor can he or any individual clinician comment on an individual case without having detailed knowledge of the case and may never do so in a public forum unless required to do so by a court of law.

Maybe so, but that objective of reassuring people was categorically not achieved in the exchange that ensued.

Both parties raised their voices, the questioner (I'm feeling like she's not a journalist) had her microphone switched off as she continued to shout over Tony's answers because he started to speak around the question in accordance with his media training instead of saying what the case actually is - no, hospitals are not currently safe places, especially for vulnerable people.

For one, I find some of the revelations about the Burke family very off-putting but I am still glad that the points were raised. Her heightened level of distress combined with his hostility, opposition to her and continued refusal to give a straight answer about patient safety means that it's gained enough attention to be discussed at length. What do we have to even go on at this point except the individual cases who come forward to share their experiences, we get the same rehearsed answers to the same ridiculous questions about weddings and hairdressers every day.

Very unsatisfactory answer given to Shane Beatty today too when he asked for information about blood clotting issues and strokes. Siobhan Ní Bhriain 'Lead of integrated care" said that there were no cases whatsoever that she was aware of where complications such as these had arisen, which is fair enough, but across the world there is a high incidence of strokes and other such issues. On that basis further study should be done in this area to ascertain why it is not occurring in the same way here, or if it is possibly being overlooked and the public need to be kept informed of what the findings are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Worldometer Active cases Ireland - 3,763. I must say after weeks of isolation that is a lovely positive number. As a people we've done well to reduce this disease to that low number. Let's keep it up.

Edit: these are confirmed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

redarmy wrote: »
    Western People
    @WesternPeople
    ·
    4m
    At this evening's Department of Health briefing, an individual purporting to be from the 'Western News' asked several questions of CMO Dr Tony Holohan. We want to make it clear that the person in question, Jemima Burke, has no association with the Western People.

Glad they cleared that up. Not fair they suffer any reputational damage by association with that charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It was focused on because the first confirmed cases in Ireland had recently travelled from Northern Italy.

Northern Italy was an area of interest which resulted in meeting the test criteria.

How many came in infected from France and other places that were not tested or detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

s1ippy wrote: »

Very unsatisfactory answer given to Shane Beatty today too when he asked for information about blood clotting issues and strokes. Siobhan Ní Bhriain 'Lead of integrated care" said that there were no cases whatsoever that she was aware of where complications such as these had arisen, which is fair enough, but across the world there is a high incidence of strokes and other such issues. On that basis further study should be done in this area to ascertain why it is not occurring in the same way here, or if it is possibly being overlooked and the public need to be kept informed of what the findings are.

She stated there are no instances of clotting sequela following discharge from hospital. Not that they didn't happen. They are being observed in the acute environment, not post discharge.

Miike wrote: »
    She stated there are no instances of clotting sequela following discharge from hospital. Not that they didn't happen. They are being observed in the acute environment, not post discharge.
    Thanks for the correction. Do you recall a figure being given?

Don't make me watch it again so I can argue.....I'm beggin yàaaaaah. :)
    Nah. I 'm done. People can validly disagree. I get it was inappropriate or shouty or both. Just don't think it was crazy because it might be a terrible thing has happened. Don't know. Was just my unconditioned gut reaction. Remember now I have not watched these briefings before, so like I said maybe wrong end of the pool. That ain't nothing new.

I have a lot of time for you as a regular and reasoned poster who has tirelessly (and cannily!) worked to dispel myths/take on the 'what about' crowd and who is fearless about going against the grain.

But if it did happen, it's a mistake, and it's a question for the hospital in question, (and the HSE) not the CMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

s1ippy wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction. Do you recall a figure being given?

No they didnt give a figure just said there were no issues they were aware of such as strokes and blood issues following discharge from hospital

not fan of Indo but didn't get any sense of clarity from Tony Holonan saying the they were only "textual changes" and not differences in the documents a whole sentence was removed it wasn't a typo they fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Worldometer Active cases Ireland - 3,763. I must say after weeks of isolation that is a lovely positive number. As a people we've done well to reduce this disease to that low number. Let's keep it up.

Active confirmed cases.

It's more than likely multiples of that. Probably x 6. Roughly going by death rate.

We should know more in the next 2 weeks from the data garnered from actually testing properly in the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Today's Reddit/Gov.ie data recap

I'm trying to limit time in listening to radio news on it to just the 6pm bulliten and wasn't happy to hear as high a number of 37 today. I thought we'd start hitting 20 and below going forward

It does make you worry when the restrictions are lifted

All data below the line credit to the Reddit poster who combines Gov.ie data with the briefings

New Cases: 265
    Total Cases: 22248
    New Death: 37
    Total Deaths: 1375
    Deaths
    • Deaths: 1375
    • Hospitalised + died in hospital: 550 --> 40%
    • Died in ICU: 66 --> 4.8%
    • Underlying conditions: 1176 --> 85.5%
    • Median age: 84
    • Mean age: 82
    As of Monday 4th May
    • Cases: 21908
    • Hospitalised: 2878 --> 13.10%
    • Total In ICU: 373 --> 1.70%
    • Median Age: 49
    • Healthcare workers: 6393 --> Increase of 100
    Of 376 total admitted to ICU
    • Currently in ICU: 86
    • New admissions within last 24 hours: 2
    Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)
    • Clusters: 400 --> Increase of 6
    • Total Cases: 5370 --> Increase of 196
    • Total Deaths: 857
    • Place of death: 147 of 857 occurred in acute hospital environment.
    Nursing Homes
    • Clusters: 232 --> Increase of 3
    • Total Cases: 4268 --> Increase of 160
    • Total Deaths: 740 --> 53.80%
    • Place of death 118 of 740 occurred in acute hospital environment.
    Breakdown of Underlying Conditions
    Of the breakdown of 327 cases in ICU
    • Chronic heart disease:165 --> 50%
    • Chronic respiratory disease: 76 --> 36.60%
    • Diabetes: 74 --> 22.60%
    • Asthma with medication: 34
    • Cancer: 31
    • BMI > 40: 53
    • Chronic renal disease: 20
    Overlap between some of these - person with diabetes may have a BMI >40
    Recoveries
    • In community: 15711
    • Discharged from hospital: 1399
    • Total: 17110
    Questions
    • Asked about a delay in smear tests - women being turned away, one woman was given one due to previous history, but told it would take 20 weeks for results. Is this a GP issue, or a department issue?
    All screening programmes were halted. They will be recommenced. Engagement with screening service to determine when these will recommence. They want to get them back up running, without delaying longer than necessary. This will be the same for other hospital procedures.
    • How many people trained in contact tracing? Only 40 people were contact tracing yesterday
    2000 people trained. Step up and down the need. Contact tracing will be related to the number of cases. As we ease restrictions, increase of contact tracing
    • In broad terms, there isn't a greater number of deaths in communities and nursing homes than have been reported. Our reporting on deaths is slightly longer than we want, because people need to go into offices to register the death. There are now online means to register deaths online, which is quick and easy to do

The BMI > 40 is a bull**** figure to mask the realities.
    BMI > 30 is obese and that is a figure that would tell a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement