Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

France has employed a "traffic light" map to assess the progress of each département:

carte-de-france_060520_page_3.png?1588787840

I think we've had enough of that with our weather warnings ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Boggles wrote: »
    Active confirmed cases.

It's more than likely multiples of that. Probably x 6. Roughly going by death rate.

We should know more in the next 2 weeks from the data garnered from actually testing properly in the community.

Yes. We all know it's confirmed cases. Thanks.

I've edited my post in case it caused confusion. Don't want people mistakenly thinking they weren't confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Gynoid wrote: »
    No I don't. The first part where he said he would not comment directly on the case I was all on board. But then he was not overly clear. Separation mentioned. Hand movements. Generalities.
    I think it is very possible to speak generally in response to a question that is too particular. Especially as the question relates to public fears re hospital attendance.

Example of definitive but general answer - No. A patient who tests negative will never be put on a Covid ward. Especially not if that patient has underlying conditions. IF that has happened or will happen anywhere in Ireland there should be a thorough and immediate investigation. Thank you. Next.
    I agree there totally he bumbled and bumbled around the answer. I felt sorry for him because the woman questioning was aggressive but he still needs to be prepared for this a bit better. People are frightened of going to hospital which is understandable and justifiably so. They need to be firmly reassured that they are safe and should seek help if they are worried about any symptoms Covid related or not. He should have got this across clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I would have loved him to correct her on calling him Mr. Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

deise08 wrote: »
    I would have loved him to correct her on calling him Mr. Tony.

It was definitely deliberate to patronise/get a reaction from him. Glad he didn't take a bait. Journalists call him Tony without issue, if you're going to say Mr Holohan why not say Dr? He did well under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see if the clip is uploaded by her online or was that only if she got a reaction from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The BMI > 40 is a bull**** figure to mask the realities.
    BMI > 30 is obese and that is a figure that would tell a lot.

Yep, and even at 40, it’s still very high - 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I agree there totally he bumbled and bumbled around the answer. I felt sorry for him because the woman questioning was aggressive but he still needs to be prepared for this a bit better. People are frightened of going to hospital which is understandable and justifiably so. They need to be firmly reassured that they are safe and should seek help if they are worried about any symptoms Covid related or not. He should have got this across clearly.

There is no discussing anything when people are in an agitated state like that. Absolutely none. Doesn't matter how prepared you are. I actually thought he dealt it reasonably well given the circumstances.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep, and even at 40, it’s still a very high - 40%

Eh no. There were53 ICU cases with a BMI over 40 out of 327

Would that not be 22 %?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes. We all know it's confirmed cases. Thanks.

I've edited my post in case it caused confusion. Don't want people mistakenly thinking they weren't confirmed.

Yeah, my point is the real number is not lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh no. There were53 ICU cases with a BMI over 40 out of 327

Would that not be 22 %?

We need data on over 30. 40 is obviously a huge number and obviously their health is at risk for many conditions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, my point is the real number is not lovely.

It's a lower number than it was 3 weeks ago. Apologies for trying to look on the bright side after 8 weeks of only being as far as my garden.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wadacrack wrote: »
    We need data on over 30. 40 is obviously a huge number and obviously their health is at risk for many conditions

Look at the UK data - 75% of their ICU admissions are obese /very obese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

He did, time and time again.

crossman47 wrote: »
    He did, time and time again.
    Do you think the general public felt reassured following that exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Maybe not because some of them will be stupid enough to listen to the rantings of that woman. We will get the usual "no smoke without fire". Its like the TV debates where producers feel obliged to give balance by having a medical expert debate with an antivaxxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most of the general public are not watching it - she should stick to Twitter where she can rant to her hearts content and where she can get lots of likes from her like minded idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone half sane who watched that exchange would have:

1) marvelled at how calm he remained
    2) marvelled at how unprofessional and border line loon she was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You'd have to feel for the woman doing sign language listening to that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I think most will have been scratching their heads at a journalist being given a slot and then not allowing the person she asked the opportunity to actually answer her.

Whatever good she may have served asking the question she has done this grieving family a huge disservice by ranting and shouting as she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Worldometer Active cases Ireland - 3,763. I must say after weeks of isolation that is a lovely positive number. As a people we've done well to reduce this disease to that low number. Let's keep it up.

Edit: these are confirmed cases.

Honestly not trying to have a go at you but it is really worrying that so many people haven't understood yet that the number of positive cases means very little. We've without a doubt had far more positive cases than the confirmed cases figure so there can't be any conclusions drawn from it, positive or negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Worldometer Active cases Ireland - 3,763. I must say after weeks of isolation that is a lovely positive number. As a people we've done well to reduce this disease to that low number. Let's keep it up.

Edit: these are confirmed cases.

Honestly not trying to have a go at you but it is really worrying that so many people haven't understood yet that the number of positive cases means very little. We've without a doubt had far more positive cases than the confirmed cases figure so there can't be any conclusions drawn from it, positive or negative.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You'd have to feel for the woman doing sign language listening to that crap.

I'd like to know what she was really signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

All this banging on about the leaving cert reminds me of the early days of the crisis, when all the media was interested in knowing was whether they were going to cancel the St. Paddy's day parade - it seemed to be the number one concern, never mind the bigger picture. Even though it was only a matter of time - and everyone knew it - before they eventually cancelled it, the media still wasted up so much air time hand wringing about the "crisis" about the indecision to make a decision, when they should have possibly being doing a better job educating and informing people.

And then they just cancelled the parade etc,etc - just like that. As it was always obvious that they would.

Now, the media is banging on about the leaving cert. It seems pretty obvious to me that the exam won't be going ahead. Obviously plans are being made in real time behind the scenes to figure it - this unprecedented event out - but Matt Cooper is banging on The Tonight Show about how they STILL haven't made a decision. As if it was easy. Fck me, the media are stupid sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Call me Al wrote: »
    I think most will have been scratching their heads at a journalist being given a slot and then not allowing the person she asked the opportunity to actually answer her.

Whatever good she may have served asking the question she has done this grieving family a huge disservice by ranting and shouting as she did.
    I disagree, the coverage their story has gotten as a consequence of her outburst means that the HSE has to respond to the family in a satisfactory way.
    https://twitter.com/realJosiahBurke/status/1257581181119455233?s=09
    Clearly they want the situation in the public sphere because they don't want other families to be in a position where their loved one dies alone without a satisfactory explanation or any accountability from those responsible. If it were your own family member it had happened to, it would be tantamount to murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

s1ippy wrote: »
    I disagree, the coverage their story has gotten as a consequence of her outburst means that the HSE has to respond to the family in a satisfactory way.
    Clearly they want the situation in the public sphere because they don't want other families to be in a position where their loved one dies alone without a satisfactory explanation or any accountability from those responsible. If it were your own family member it had happened to, it would be tantamount to murder.
    Do they fůck. They are career contrarions. They want to try and discredit HSE/Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'd like to know what she was really signing.

83pMLHe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

s1ippy wrote: »

Yeah, I don't believe any of that is their main motivation.

Call me Al wrote: »

And terrifying people is not appropriate at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Arghus wrote: »
    All this banging on about the leaving cert reminds me of the early days of the crisis, when all the media was interested in knowing was whether they were going to cancel the St. Paddy's day parade - it seemed to be the number one concern, never mind the bigger picture. Even though it was only a matter of time - and everyone knew it - before they eventually cancelled it, the media still wasted up so much air time hand wringing about the "crisis" about the indecision to make a decision, when they should have possibly being doing a better job educating and informing people.

And then they just cancelled the parade etc,etc - just like that. As it was always obvious that they would.

Now, the media is banging on about the leaving cert. It seems pretty obvious to me that the exam won't be going ahead. Obviously plans are being made in real time behind the scenes to figure it - this unprecedented event out - but Matt Cooper is banging on The Tonight Show about how they STILL haven't made a decision. As if it was easy. Fck me, the media are stupid sometimes.

The best solution might be if the new baby infant class doesn't start school this year in September and they start next year. Everyone who's going to school goes back in, in September and continues with their year. Does that make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Anyone half sane who watched that exchange would have:

1) marvelled at how calm he remained
    2) marvelled at how unprofessional and border line loon she was

Her and her family are well established loons in Mayo. no borderline about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement