Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

brookers wrote: »
    Was anybody listening to Prof. Tomas Ryan tonight on the tonight show, he speaks so much sense. Basically the phased easing of restrictions has not got a hope in hell of working if we dont have people wearing masks, test results back in 48 hours and contact tracing. He is very worried about the total lack of science behind the document.

Wasn’t looking at it this evening but find it crazy that nearly a week on from when the roadmap was published that we’re yet to receive any guidance on the wearing of masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Jin luk wrote: »
    Watch it!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Mikovits

Here she is
    anti-vaccination Activist

Enough said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

wakka12 wrote: »
    615 deaths and 10,500 cases in Brazil this evening. By current growth it will be at USA levels very soon

It's always shocking how quickly this erupts in countries
    It's not shocking at all. The US, the UK and Brazil are 3 countries whose leaders through they could spoof their way through this crisis like they do with everything else. And the country will learn the lesson of electing unfit leaders the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Is it about a Plandemic was my question?

And am saying watch it to get a true understanding of it.

My opinion is to have an open mind that woman is saying stuff could be bull**** might not be no1 knows yet, but honestly why would they keep deleting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

So no stopping for a chat on your 5km walk

Even before Covid19 I was concious of catching viruses and flu from droplets from someone talking "at" you

Recite the alphabet and you will realise the following letters probably cause the droplets to travel furthest

B D F J K P T V Z
    Also any word that causes you to put your tongue between your teeth...."Thanks" for instance.

On the very very rare occasion I go out to shop now(pharmacy for medications once a month and I ring ahead to minimise time I spend in there waiting) I try to stay well back if the person decides they have to talk too much during the transaction.
    I make sure they have to hold the card machine at arms length and I stay back arms length too.
    Coughing and sneezing is definitely only half the story

• Advertisement

So no stopping for a chat on your 5km walk

Even before Covid19 I was concious of catching viruses and flu from droplets from someone talking "at" you

Recite the alphabet and you will realise the following letters probably cause the droplets to travel furthest

B D F J K P T V Z
    Also any word that causes you to put your tongue between your teeth...."Thanks" for instance.

On the very very rare occasion I go out to shop now(pharmacy for medications once a month and I ring ahead to minimise time I spend in there waiting) I try to stay well back if the person decides they have to talk too much during the transaction.
    I make sure they have to hold the card machine at arms length and I stay back arms length too.
    Coughing and sneezing is definitely only half the story

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fr336 wrote: »
    The fat shamers always amuse me. Yes it's an extreme risk factor for Covid (and a risk factor in general!) but does anyone else always get the tone off these folks they don't really care they just like to give people a lecture? I was 16 stone 4 years ago and have got it down to 11 stone and counting, I'm more proud of that considering I tend to comfort eat than I would be if I was a slim person who has no trouble with their weight. I'm now well within my personal healthy weight range but do I now look down on overweight people? Do I hell.

Have you seen the recent study of over 4000 patients in the US and the impact of obesity on their disease progression?

MipMap wrote: »

Wikipedia? You do know anyone can edit the page on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

owlbethere wrote: »
    Fcuking hell

I urge you to take note that this doesn't prove a whole lot. Just interesting research. I fear people might get the wrong idea :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Did you even look her up?

You have posted the video multiple times now so obviously you believe what's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

If someone said to me at the start of this year that pubs, restaurants and shops would be shut down for months, schools would be closed, all religious gatherings would be banned, no sporting events would take place, people would not be allowed to travel 5k from their house, hundreds of thousands of people would not be going to work, most planes would be grounded, you couldn't get your hair cut, I would have said they were mad. Given what has happened, who knows what the next few months will bring? Unbelievable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

This was on Euronews today.
    A test that gets a result in 3 hours. If this is reliable then it would
    really improve things.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/vienna-airport-starts-offering-passengers-covid-19-tests/

petes wrote: »
    Did you even look her up?

You have posted the video multiple times now so obviously you believe what's in it.

You dont find it weird that so much is being filtered during all this? As i said already i didnt pay any attention to this sort of video or posts until social media starts deleting it and filtering it to the masses.

Read the citations.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAa8FLInScc&feature=share

Will be deleted before the nights out no doubt.
    Don't need to delete it. You clearly understand that conspiracy theories do not belong here, and as you have blatantly ignored the warnings you are now banned from posting in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As the Brazilian government desperately tries to avoid lock down (or to be more specific the 'Trump of the South' who is in charge) individual cities and states, in defiance, are desperately putting in place measures as quickly as possible.

Brazil: largest rise in Covid-19 deaths follows Bolsonaro 'worst is over' claim

Brazil has seen its largest ever daily increase in its coronavirus death toll, despite erroneous suggestions from President Jair Bolsonaro that the worst of the crisis was over.

'Utter disaster': Manaus fills mass graves as Covid-19 hits the Amazon

Brazil – which is now considered a major global centre of the pandemic – reported 633 Covid-19 deaths on Tuesday, taking its total to nearly 8,000.

Three of Brazil’s 27 states this week announced the country’s first official lockdown measures to try to slow the spread of the disease.

But speaking to reporters outside his presidential palace on Tuesday afternoon, Bolsonaro suggested his country was passing its Covid-19 peak.

“I don’t know yet if the number of deaths is less than yesterday. But if it is, if I’m not mistaken, it’ll be the sixth consecutive day in which the number of deaths has fallen,” Bolsonaro said.

“That’s a sign that the worst is over, and I ask God for this to be true,” Bolsonaro added.

It was not true. Just a few hours later, Brazil’s health ministry announced that the number of reported deaths had in fact risen. Under-reporting and a lack of testing also means the true numbers are almost certainly much higher.

A study for the G1 news site found that five major cities registered 6,061 more deaths than average between the arrival of Covid-19 in Brazil and 25 April. Some of those were probably people unable to access overloaded hospitals who died from other causes.

This week three states began introducing rigid lockdown measures.

On Tuesday, São Luís, the capital of the north-eastern state of Maranhão, and three neighbouring towns went into lockdown for 10 days. The measure was ordered by a judge after intensive care beds in state government hospitals filled up. Maranhão has reported 4,530 cases and 271 Covid-19 deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/brazil-coronavirus-deaths-covid-19-bolsonaro

Brazil reported 10,503 new cases and 615 new deaths so far today.

This will be a case study to follow on the consequences of not taking required measures to contain the transmission of the virus. Although, in fairness, states are now finally acting in defiance of lunacy.

Stats etc

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

blackcard wrote: »
    If someone said to me at the start of this year that pubs, restaurants and shops would be shut down for months, schools would be closed, all religious gatherings would be banned, no sporting events would take place, people would not be allowed to travel 5k from their house, hundreds of thousands of people would not be going to work, most planes would be grounded, you couldn't get your hair cut, I would have said they were mad. Given what has happened, who knows what the next few months will bring? Unbelievable really.

100% Agree.If you'd said any of the above in January people would have laughed at you or just shook their heads.
    That's why I am now so incredulous at the way a lot of people think this 5 stage plan is just a formality.
    We have absolutely no idea whether it's going to work or not.No one,not even the finest medical brains know.
    The virus hasn't gone away and unlikely to.Even if a successful vaccine is developed people will still catch it and some will sadly die though the numbers will be much smaller than now.
    Even now,after all that's happened are there still people in denial about how the world has changed and think everything will be back to normal in a few more weeks?
    I really do believe it could be another 12 to 18 months before we even see a semblance of normality ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

brookers wrote: »
    Was anybody listening to Prof. Tomas Ryan tonight on the tonight show, he speaks so much sense. Basically the phased easing of restrictions has not got a hope in hell of working if we dont have people wearing masks, test results back in 48 hours and contact tracing. He is very worried about the total lack of science behind the document.

Theres a lot of focus on tests but I'm still unclear about contact tracing. Is it done only once a positive test is confirmed. That could be 2 weeks if not longer. If it is, then you'd wonder how useful it is at that stage? Would be great if it could get to 48 hours but there has been lot of differences in what should happen in theory and what's happening in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE hospitalisation numbers just after being released.

As on 8pm tonight we have 82 confirmed cases in ICU.

Likewise as of 8pm there are 618 confirmed cases being treated in acute hospitals .

In comparison to last night that was 90 confirmed ICU cases and 651 confirmed cases in acute hospitals.

All I keep hearing these last few days is how restaurants, hairdresser etc want the 5 stages adjusted so they can open sooner than the Government have laid out.
    Serious question.Do people think the threat has somehow deminished,that the virus has somehow lost its potency??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

dfx- wrote: »
    the constant horse race throughout this illness of who is doing things better or worse than somewhere else is infuriating. 'We should be doing what they're doing' or 'we shouldn't be doing what they're doing'....and as for the graph comparing them all - it should be banned and sent on a one way ticket to Pluto.

South Korea, Germany, Austria, UK, US, Sweden, now New Zealand.

Infuriating for Government fan boys alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Steve F wrote: »
    Serious question.Do people think the threat has somehow deminished,that the virus has somehow lost its potency??

No I don't people think the threat has diminished but they know now that the virus is not fatal to all who catch it. Particularly when we see people as old as 106 beating the virus. Underlying conditions and lifestyle choice seem to predispose one to it negatively.80% that do catch have none or mild symptoms. They also know that a lockdown till a vaccine is found is untenable. People have to live, earn a living and allow their children to thrive.
    Destroying our economy will cost many lives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Steve F wrote: »
    All I keep hearing these last few days is how restaurants, hairdresser etc want the 5 stages adjusted so they can open sooner than the Government have laid out.

I think there's certain people who just don't see this virus as a risk to them or their customers rightly or wrongly. I agree with Dr. Holohan when he was asked about hairdressers being one of the occupations where the level of physical contact makes it greater risk than other jobs and hence they have to wait longer.

What I will say aswell is that there are some people in business who if you told them they could open at 8am tomorrow, that still wouldn't be early enough for them and I personally can't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

As the Brazilian government desperately tries to avoid lock down (or to be more specific the 'Trump of the South' who is in charge) individual cities and states, in defiance, are desperately putting in place measures as quickly as possible.

Brazil: largest rise in Covid-19 deaths follows Bolsonaro 'worst is over' claim

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/brazil-coronavirus-deaths-covid-19-bolsonaro

Brazil reported 10,503 new cases and 615 new deaths so far today.

This will be a case study to follow on the consequences of not taking required measures to contain the transmission of the virus. Although, in fairness, states are now finally acting in defiance of lunacy.

Stats etc

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

everything to scale though, Brazil has a population of over 212 million people and the population has been increasing by more than 1.5 million people a year for many years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't believe any of that is their main motivation.
    Sorry, I meant the family who lost a child, not the religious fundamentalists who were represented at the press conference. Tis a pretty important distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

redarmy wrote: »
    Western People
    @WesternPeople
    ·
    4m
    At this evening's Department of Health briefing, an individual purporting to be from the 'Western News' asked several questions of CMO Dr Tony Holohan. We want to make it clear that the person in question, Jemima Burke, has no association with the Western People.

Is she one of the mad christian NUIG Burkes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

everything to scale though, Brazil has a population of over 212 million people and the population has been increasing by more than 1.5 million people a year for many years.

The point is how big of a jump it is, not how large the number of deaths there are compared to the size of the country. Cases and deaths are growing extremely quickly in Brazil, and are not being curbed by any effective lockdown, so it is what is to come which is the major issue, medical services are reaching capacity, much of the country has extremely poor healthcare and live in crowded conditions, and the indigenous population appears to be particularly hard hit

No I don't people think the threat has diminished but they know now that the virus is not fatal to all who catch it. Particularly when we see people as old as 106 beating the virus. Underlying conditions and lifestyle choice seem to predispose one to it negatively.80% that do catch have none or mild symptoms. They also know that a lockdown till a vaccine is found is untenable. People have to live, earn a living and allow their children to thrive.
    Destroying our economy will cost many lives too.

"Lockdown" is not going to be in place until a vaccine comes. This was never an option.

106 year olds beating the virus is all well and good but outliers shouldn't determine approach. They never have either, thankfully.

If we didn't take the measures we took when we took them, the forecast numbers were in the 100s of thousands. A lot more lives would be lost than those in a tanked economy.

The tone of your posts are quite stark to me, given your deep rooted affirmations of a tanked economy "costing lives" but ignoring the cost of lives from a literally lethal virus. There is no litmus test on who lives if they get it, we can predict who may be worse off but there are people in good health getting this virus and dropping dead. Public health crises of this scale trump protecting an economy from a downturn.

I don't know if it's personal bias related to your circumstances, in which case I'm sorry but we need to stop mé féining and start thinking about others and our collective role in protecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Miike wrote: »
    "Lockdown" is not going to be in place until a vaccine comes. This was never an option.

106 year olds beating the virus is all well and good but outliers shouldn't determine approach. They never have either, thankfully.

If we didn't take the measures we took when we took them, the forecast numbers were in the 10s of thousands. A lot more lives would be lost than those in a tanked economy.

The tone of your posts are quite stark to me, given your deep rooted affirmations of a tanked economy "costing lives" but ignoring the cost of lives from a literally lethal virus. There is not litmus test on who lives if they get it, we can predict who may be worse off but there are people in good health getting this virus and dropping dead. Public health crises of this scale trump protecting an economy from a downturn.

I don't know if it's personal bias related to your circumstances, in which case I'm sorry but we need to stop mé féining and start thinking about others and our collective role in protecting them.

I take a pragmatic view not emotionally driven , as for my personal situation no different than it was before the pandemic and will be no different.
    I mentioned several times how the nursing homes were left to their own devices..see below.

https://www.independent.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement