Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I take a pragmatic view not emotionally driven , as for my personal situation no different than it was before the pandemic and will be no different.
    I mentioned several times how the nursing homes were left to their own devices..see below.

https://www.independent.ie/

I can't derive meaning from your post bar what you've mentioned in relation to your circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Miike wrote: »
    I can't derive meaning from your post bar what you've mentioned in relation to your circumstances.

No desire to be short but your inability to understand my comment is not my issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

"Lockdown" is not going to be in place until a vaccine comes. This was never an option.

106 year olds beating the virus is all well and good but outliers shouldn't determine approach. They never have either, thankfully.

If we didn't take the measures we took when we took them, the forecast numbers were in the 100s of thousands. A lot more lives would be lost than those in a tanked economy.

The tone of your posts are quite stark to me, given your deep rooted affirmations of a tanked economy "costing lives" but ignoring the cost of lives from a literally lethal virus. There is no litmus test on who lives if they get it, we can predict who may be worse off but there are people in good health getting this virus and dropping dead. Public health crises of this scale trump protecting an economy from a downturn.

I don't know if it's personal bias related to your circumstances, in which case I'm sorry but we need to stop mé féining and start thinking about others and our collective role in protecting them.

Lockdown not in place until a vaccine?? What about a second wave? As soon as the virus spreads again, we just can't have the hospitals overwhelmed. Wish people understood this and just stay the fcuk away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

endacl wrote: »
    Is she one of the mad christian NUIG Burkes?

JemimaburkeIRL@ on Twitter.

She has videos of her persistent questioning and subsequent decision by the department to turn off her mic.

Lockdown not in place until a vaccine?? What about a second wave? As soon as the virus spreads again, we just can't have the hospitals overwhelmed. Wish people understood this and just stay the fcuk away from people.

We're not going to be in a perpetual state of 'lockdown'. If and when the second wave comes we will obviously need to take measures to control that. I have no idea what made you think I was suggesting otherwise.

We would hope that during this potential second wave a lot of businesses and retailers will have measures in place to allow them to remain somewhat operational. For example: There is a grant going at the moment for business to setup an eCommerce face which would hopefully ease the blow for them. I understand that's not an option for everyone but there are things in or being put into place. There isn't a simple answer, if there was, every country would have opted for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE hospitalisation numbers just after being released.

As on 8pm tonight we have 82 confirmed cases in ICU.

Likewise as of 8pm there are 618 confirmed cases being treated in acute hospitals .

In comparison to last night that was 90 confirmed ICU cases and 651 confirmed cases in acute hospitals.
    While these are good numbers, I've no doubt that some of the drop has been due to deaths unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Anyone any thoughts. Is all of the area mentioned high rise apartments in New York? Unlike Ireland more like Amoy gardens etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

106 year olds beating the virus is all well and good but outliers shouldn't determine approach.

there are people in good health getting this virus and dropping dead.

You can't say outliers shouldn't determine approach and then use outliers to try to make your own point.

Statistically the vast majority of people dying are old and/or sick. I'm not trying to downplay that, every single death is of course an absolute tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

speckle wrote: »
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Anyone any thoughts. Is all of the area mentioned high rise apartments in New York? Unlike Ireland more like Amoy gardens etc?

Maybe but what an headline subtext
    He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic

...seeing as half of NY population is...you guessed it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

We're not going to be in a perpetual state of 'lockdown'. If and when the second wave comes we will obviously need to take measures to control that. I have no idea what made you think I was suggesting otherwise.

We would hope that during this potential second wave a lot of businesses and retailers will have measures in place to allow them to remain somewhat operational. For example: There is a grant going at the moment for business to setup an eCommerce face which would hopefully ease the blow for them. I understand that's not an option for everyone but there are things in or being put into place. There isn't a simple answer, if there was, every country would have opted for it.

Yeah think there's a lot of changes that could be implemented both in short term and long term as a result, either temporary or permanent. I think generally Irish businesses weren't great for having online presence and being able to buy products. Some are great but it was too sporadic. Think new normal could lead to more people working at home where possible and so less tie commuting. At least when measures do happen they won't be completely alien to us. I think another thing we're slower on is the masks. I don't know why these haven't been recommended yet tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Interesting but home is a very vague term. If for example somebody's home is a house share its not very surprising like

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

282 new deaths in Germany today/yesterday. 1,155 new cases.

Highest deaths since April 17th (which is an extraordinary stat).

282 new deaths in Germany today/yesterday. 1,155 new cases.

Highest deaths since April 19th (which is an extraordinary stat).

They inexplicably didnt report any deaths yesterday so it's probably two days worth today

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think generally Irish businesses weren't great for having online presence and being able to buy products.

As a pretty avid online shopper (and website programming is my forte) looking for the best deal (not necessarily to buy online since sometimes convenience of a local shop does win) you find most Irish business do not even show their prices online and ergo have no ordering system

I always assumed this was to stop people doing any price comparisons with other companies. Compare this with NI companies are they are very much on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

wakka12 wrote: »

There is no 'may' about it. We are all destined for the herd immunity reality. Lock downs and other measures just delay the time until it is achieved.

https://www.time24.news/t24/2020/05/brazil-has-already-lost-more-nursing-professionals-to-the-coronavirus-than-italy-and-spain-combined-brazil.html

Brazil has lost 73 healthcare staff so far, 41 of the staff were under 60 years old

Clearly is a dangerous virus if the viral load is high or there is repeated exposure involved

US reports 2,505 new deaths so far today

74,780 total.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Absolutely terrible article, full of inaccuracies and wild speculation. If these platitudes are enough to convince anyone of the virtues of the "leave it and hope it's fine" approach their subsequent sentiments should be immediately disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

US reports 2,505 new deaths so far today

74,780 total.

To put this into some perspective, in the 10 years that US troops were involved in the Vietnam war, they lost 58,220 people.

The death toll from Covid is where it's at in just over 3 months. The first death occurring on the 6th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tony EH wrote: »
    To put this into some perspective, in the 10 years that US troops were involved in the Vietnam war, they lost 58,220 people.

The death toll from Covid is where it's at in just over 3 months. The first death occurring on the 6th Feb.

april the 28th Routers https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-casualties/u-s-coronavirus-deaths-projected-at-over-74000-by-august-idUSKCN22A0VL

Late on Monday, the university’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model raised its projected U.S. death toll to 74,073 by Aug. 4, up from nearly 67,000 predicted a week ago, and 60,000 predicted two weeks ago.

just under 75k now

• Advertisement

Latest projections with the lock down measures being removed in some states is 3,000 per day through June. I'll find the link.

Absolute madness and it's looking bleak because they will have no choice but to put back in place the measures that are being relaxed (by mostly Republican Trump stooge governors).

So there is the economic pain on top of the sick and fatalities.

Mind boggling stupidity.

Could you imagine Obama or Clinton overseeing this shambles?

No?

Me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I hope the suspected cases for Waterford Hospital (61) and limerick (60) is a typo. Waterford is usually around 12 suspected

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-updates.html#daily-updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gynoid wrote: »
    No I don't. The first part where he said he would not comment directly on the case I was all on board. But then he was not overly clear. Separation mentioned. Hand movements. Generalities.
    I think it is very possible to speak generally in response to a question that is too particular. Especially as the question relates to public fears re hospital attendance.

Example of definitive but general answer - No. A patient who tests negative will never be put on a Covid ward. Especially not if that patient has underlying conditions. IF that has happened or will happen anywhere in Ireland there should be a thorough and immediate investigation. Thank you. Next.

We must have watched different press conferences because he did answer that very thing definitively. And if he didn’t go into more detail, it was because he kept getting interrupted.

She made a complete fool of herself. Let her off. I’ve no interest in shutting her down. Let her give herself enough rope to hang herself.

blackcard wrote: »
    If someone said to me at the start of this year that pubs, restaurants and shops would be shut down for months, schools would be closed, all religious gatherings would be banned, no sporting events would take place, people would not be allowed to travel 5k from their house, hundreds of thousands of people would not be going to work, most planes would be grounded, you couldn't get your hair cut, I would have said they were mad. Given what has happened, who knows what the next few months will bring? Unbelievable really.

I know, when the Icelandic volcano eruption caused havoc in 2010, I thought that was crazy and that had nothing on this!

Eod100 wrote: »
    It was definitely deliberate to patronise/get a reaction from him. Glad he didn't take a bait. Journalists call him Tony without issue, if you're going to say Mr Holohan why not say Dr? He did well under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see if the clip is uploaded by her online or was that only if she got a reaction from him.

She uploaded it:

https://twitter.com/jemimaburkeirl/status/1258168295842349056?s=21

Like I said a few tweets up, she’s only making herself look bad. Knock yourself out there, Jemima.

She uploaded it:

https://twitter.com/jemimaburkeirl/status/1258168295842349056?s=21

Like I said a few tweets up, she’s only making herself look bad. Knock yourself out there, Jemima.

Thankfully most people calling her out on it - maybe she'll make it to 400 followers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The whole world will be going the herd immunity route.

The virus numbers will likely climb again later in the year but lockdowns like this will not be possible with the state the economy will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

In the 6 months between October 2019 to April 2020 60,000 Americans died of the flu. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

US2 wrote: »
    In the 6 months between October 2019 to April 2020 60,000 Americans died of the flu. What's your point?

The regular flu has a vaccine and there's never been any severe restrictions for it. And as you say its 6 months vs half that. That is kinda the point.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »

24,000 - 62,000 is the official estimation range [95% UI] as per the CDC. Note the huge range in those figures. Your statement isn't exactly accurate.

People need to stop comparing this to the flu, it's insanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement