Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Can they not use emergency legislation to make it mandatory?

Unless theres a loophole in the current legislation then no, sure it wouldnt even apply to anyone who's not resident of the state, who's going to enforce that ?

Now there may well be loopholes in the current emergency bill that was passed in March but point remains if it's not covered under that then you need both houses to pass a bill into law.

Causes all sorts of issues.

If we had a functioning government then it wouldn't be an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Legal challenges? Are people that stupid? If it's made mandatory, there's no confusion.
    Have you not seen yer one and yer man taking legal action about the restrictions we currently have?

Of course people are that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

It seems like Covid could be around longer than thought.

Some French athletes who competed in Wuhan in October believe they caught it when there

https://www.newstoday.fr/covid-19-french-athletes-contaminated-in-wuhan-in-october/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shops and businesses don't have to let anyone in, full stop.

Unless they are discriminating against on race, gender, etc.

So any dribbler taking a legal challenge will just be wasting their money and time.

I'll be doing my shopping in the premises that insist on masks.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That wouldn't get through the Dail anyway, especially as those advising are not in favour of such a scenario.

Dail wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think, problem is in the Seanad, you need 11 Taoiseach nominees to that, without them you don't get anything through both houses. Hence no new government means no Seanad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Harris has more than once said they will not be mandatory, if such advice is given.

Harris also thinks covid-19 is the 19th viris

Boggles wrote: »

So any dribbler taking a legal challenge will just be wasting their money and time.

Highly possible they could sue that their human rights were infringed and they were denied basic necessities, such as food and they'd win. If they were refused entry the gardai couldnt do anything, it's a civil matter.

I agree it's a complete waste of money and you'd have to be some dribbler to do it but they'd probably win.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dail wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think, problem is in the Seanad, you need 11 Taoiseach nominees to that, without them you don't get anything through both houses. Hence no new government means no Seanad
    I don't think it would pass in the Dail , with the NEPHT position as it stands, and there are differing opinions on the Seanad, McDowell for one argues it is doable.

Gynoid wrote: »
    I just went out to my first big supermarket since March 27th, in a big town. Have been topping up locally for past 6 weeks. There were quite a few in the shop wearing masks. Maybe 20%. I wore one. People were very careful with distance in the aisles. The guy at the checkout said there could often be up to half the customers in masks recently. He also said friends in Dublin had got it and recovered but said it was like the flu times a hundred, and took many weeks to feel remotely normal. It is just a cultural change we have to make, people are a bit embarrassed still. I also saw my first person in full on respirator mask with the cartridges to side and with big safety googles. It is a bit dystopian looking but fair fecks to them if that is what they need to keep them self and their loved ones safe. Maybe it would go hard on the people in their circle if they got it. Masks will become normal.

If anything I'm seeing less people in shops wearing them. A hell of alot less than 2 weeks ago anyway

I don't think it would pass in the Dail , with the NEPHT position as it stands, and there are differing opinions on the Seanad, McDowell for one argues it is doable.

He does I've seen that , attorney general advice was that nothing else would get through without Seanad. Like I said it would be highly open to a legal challenge. You'd have to be some piece of work to try it but as we've seen theres types like that

• Advertisement

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Harris also thinks covid-19 is the 19th viris
    And owned up to that made-up silliness! A lot of what he says is as a mouthpiece of NEPHT/DoH.

Highly possible they could sue that their human rights were infringed and they were denied basic necessities, such as food and they'd win. If they were refused entry the gardai couldnt do anything, it's a civil matter.

I agree it's a complete waste of money and you'd have to be some dribbler to do it but they'd probably win.

A business is under no obligation to do business with anyone.

As long as they are not discriminating against certain people which is defined in law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I haven't used a bus in two months, if they bring in mask wearing for everyone, I might use a bus again. But it's too risky on a bus and on a moving vehicle where I just can't jump out and get away if I want to. There's just so much idiots.

If anything I'm seeing less people in shops wearing them. A hell of alot less than 2 weeks ago anyway
    On a walk yesterday, along with the "throngs", there were about 5-6 out of 50 wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

What do people make of the figures coming out that 50% of people in ICU in Ireland are there with heart issues. This ties in with something I've been reading about studies coming from Italy saying that the main issue with serious cases of COVID-19 are clots. Hence why there is very poor response for people who are ventilated. Most lung issues may be caused by clots and a high dose of Aspirn and anti-inflammatory medication may be more successful in treating patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    What do people make of the figures coming out that 50% of people in ICU in Ireland are there with heart issues. This ties in with something I've been reading about studies coming from Italy saying that the main issue with serious cases of COVID-19 are clots. Hence why there is very poor response for people who are ventilated. Most lung issues may be caused by clots and a high dose of Aspirn and anti-inflammatory medication may be more successful in treating patients.

Obesity and hypertension are big risks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

If the government make masks mandatory in public they'd have to give everyone free masks wouldnt they ?

US2 wrote: »
    If the government make masks mandatory in public they'd have to give everyone free masks wouldnt they ?

Do they give everyone free car insurance?

To be clothed from the waste down is mandatory, did you ever get free pants?

A business is under no obligation to do business with anyone.

As long as they are not discriminating against certain people which is defined in law.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the right to food is defined in international law so in the case of a supermarket refusing entry could find themselves in a bit of a tricky spot if it's not government policy to be mandatory.

Like I said you'd have to be some tool to try it but Gemma and her crew prove theres enough of them in Ireland for someone to try it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why are McDonalds still closed? Most takeaways and food businesses have either reopened or remained open the whole time as they were allowed to.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »

Masks won’t be mandatory. Face coverings will (and washable fabric face coverings are better than masks anyway, especially the one-time use ones that most people are erroneously wearing). And it’s not beyond anyone’s wit to make a face covering.

Masks won’t be mandatory. Face coverings will (and washable fabric face coverings are better than masks anyway, especially the one-time use ones that most people are erroneously wearing). And it’s not beyond anyone’s wit to make a face covering.

Leo on face coverings only last week
    "it is not something we’d ever make compulsory, but it’s something that we may make advisory.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the right to food is defined in international law so in the case of a supermarket refusing entry could find themselves in a bit of a tricky spot if it's not government policy to be mandatory.

Like I said you'd have to be some tool to try it but Gemma and her crew prove theres enough of them in Ireland for someone to try it.

And yet we have never seen a case based on the right to food thus far. And people have been turned away from supermarkets before now.

But they are not denying them a right to food. They are denying them entry to their business based on their legal right to define policy.

Businesses have a right to define their own policies and are under no obligation to do business with anyone, they also have Health and Safety legislation if they need it.

Supermarkets have a no pajamas policy. It's actually mental they have to have that policy. :pac:

The likes of Gemma is welcome to waste her kids inheritance, but focusing on some dribblers means we are not focusing on the effectiveness of mass mask wearing and it's ability to stem transmission.

A businesses policy can be as arbitrary as they want, no runners into a club, or if they want no one with red jackets.

As long as they don't let you in because you are black or disabled, etc. They can pretty much do what they want.

But they are not denying them a right to food. They are denying them entry to their business based on their legal right to define policy.

Businesses have a right to define their own policies and are under no obligation to do business with anyone, they also have Health and Safety legislation if they need it.

Supermarkets have a no pajamas policy. It's actually mental they have to have that policy. :pac:

The likes of Gemma is welcome to waste her kids inheritance, but focusing on some dribblers means we are not focusing on the effectiveness of mass mask wearing and it's ability to stem transmission.

A businesses policy can be as arbitrary as they want, no runners into a club, or if they want no one with red jackets.

As long as they don't let you in because you are black or disabled, etc. They can pretty much do what they want.

It's all ifs and buts, you know as well as I do theres enough tools in this country that would challenge it. Simple solution would be just to go somewhere else but the high court this week proves that theres people stupid enough to go to the bother of challenging it.

Again I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I agree with what your saying, just that there would be a better chance of the likes of her actually winning a case in that scenario than the one she has now. The one she has now she hasn't a leg to stand on and like you say let her off and waste money, I'm of the exact same mindset as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

s1ippy wrote: »
    I disagree, the coverage their story has gotten as a consequence of her outburst means that the HSE has to respond to the family in a satisfactory way.
    https://twitter.com/realJosiahBurke/status/1257581181119455233?s=09
    Clearly they want the situation in the public sphere because they don't want other families to be in a position where their loved one dies alone without a satisfactory explanation or any accountability from those responsible. If it were your own family member it had happened to, it would be tantamount to murder.

Well if this girls family want the situation in the public then they need to allow the person asked an opportunity to answer the question, and not be shouted over like some sort of demented lunatic. Because that's the type of group they've aligned themselves with.

As it is their plight has now been hijacked by an extremist mob who will throw their child's name around as they wish.
    The Burke/G'OD/Corr/5G supporters are on Twitter and outside MGH calling the hospital staff murderers so I'm afraid that paranoid ship has long sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Do they give everyone free car insurance?

To be clothed from the waste down is mandatory, did you ever get free pants?

Yours might be a waste, I put mine to good use :D

Robocop reference aside they do look kind of cool.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/0507/1136960-fiumicino-airport/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I find it funny how wearing seat belts is mandatory in cars but for the health of people and slowing infection, they won't make mask/face coverings mandatory.

• Advertisement

Robocop reference aside they do look kind of cool.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/0507/1136960-fiumicino-airport/

That's quite good actually. Making use of existing technology and I'd imagine it's a quick process.

And yes they do look kind of cool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement