Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people may be a bit stupid and don't understand how apply their mask correctly but at least they're trying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Gynoid wrote: »
    Maybe I misunderstand but is it not reasonably elementary?

Wash hands or sanitise them before putting on mask.
    Don't touch mask while it is on.
    Sanitise hands before removing.
    Dispose of mask properly.
    Sanitise hands after that.

People do a lot of complicated things every day. Opening pushchairs! Attaching images on boards! How ordinary folk casually insert contact lenses baffles me and as for taking them out! But yet they do. Must be all the lovely brainz we have.

And how many people need instructions to follow for these everyday complicated tasks?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well I saw all three examples passing through my local town on the way to work yesterday.

I have seen them too, but that doesn't take away the fact that:

a. Most people can be trained
    b. Even if some people persisted on not using them correctly, the risk would still be reduced by the fact that everyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Don't know if this has been posted before, but an interesting source of more localised (for Dublin)/current data.

GPs are surveyed on how many patients they've had who were diagnosed with Covid and how many have met the testing criteria.

The small number of respondents (100-300) has to be taken into account though.

https://www.gpcommunitytracker.com/results

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If they become mandatory people need to be educated in their use.
    Surely you realise the problem with common sense is that it's not that common.
    It's not even just that.
    It's the secondary effects.

For example, when seat belts became mandatory in cars, we saw driver and passenger deaths decrease. But pedestrian, cyclist and back-seat passenger deaths increased.
    The use of a seatbelt caused a feeling of security in the driver that led to them taking more risks.

The change in behaviour is small at an individual level, but was enough to shift the dial at a national level.

The same risk exists here. The mandatory use of masks will cause people to be take risks in other areas. They will be less inclined to socially distance, they will feel like it's OK to go outside when sick, they will go into eachothers' houses.

Not everyone will, and even those who do, will only do it every now and again.

But it could easily be enough at a national level to undermine the more important pillars of hygiene and social distancing. Whether even education can offset this, I don't know.

It's hilarious that people think there's no need to educate the public in the use of PPE and then you see people walking and driving around with gloves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

JoChervil wrote: »
    When I go for a walk I only use a piece of fabric to cover my nose/mouth, when coming close to someone and there is no space to self distance. In public transport and generally in confined spaces like shops they should be mandatory.

I find it irritating that Irish government is treating people like idiots. Wearing and disposing gloves or mask seems a rocket science for them.

But I guess a lot of people would wear them but they are afraid of being laughed at (famous Irish slagging). If they were compulsory, so it would become normal then and most would comply...

Facemasks and blue gloves need to be part of the new normal going forward. It needs to get to the point where non facemask and blue glove wearers are shunned by the compliant and punished by law enforcement. They are walking around with their naked faces thinking that they are too cool for facemasks and blue gloves. Time to get real guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

GT89 wrote: »
    Why are McDonalds still closed? Most takeaways and food businesses have either reopened or remained open the whole time as they were allowed to.

McDonalds opening up some restaurants (the drive thru portions for collections too I think) in the UK, and intending to open up some in a similar way in Dublin on 13th May according to some internal memo that got reported on recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

New Home wrote: »
    I have seen them too, but that doesn't take away the fact that:

a. Most people can be trained
    b. Even if some people persisted on not using them correctly, the risk would still be reduced by the fact that everyone else is.

I'm not saying people shouldn't wear masks, just pointing out the multitude of individuals who seem incapable of wearing a simple nose and mouth covering.
    The primetime programme was laughable with the two Irish experts dismissing the use of facemasks versus the Czech expert with his homemade mask stating how the mandatory use since March have caused the spread of the virus to be halted. The Czech Republic is opening up it's businesses this month and next month. We will still be have a lockdown of sorts in place in August.

Have you seen people wearing them under their nose?
    I have.
    Have you seen people wear them as a hat?
    I have
    Have you seen people wear them under their chin?
    I have.
    If they become mandatory people need to be educated in their use.
    Surely you realise the problem with common sense is that it's not that common.

Yes, I've seen all three.

I have a small packet of surgical face masks (they are a few years old, I didn't go out to buy up supplies and take away from healthcare workers)... There is zero instructions on the packet on how to wear them.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Facemasks and blue gloves need to be part of the new normal going forward. It needs to get to the point where non facemask and blue glove wearers are shunned by the compliant and punished by law enforcement. They are walking around with their naked faces thinking that they are too cool for facemasks and blue gloves. Time to get real guys.
    Masks yes , gloves absolutely not. The amount of idiots in Supermarkets pawing everything wearing gloves causing cross contamination is beyond ridiculous.
    Plus the same idiots can't even find a bin to dispose of their gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1258354820844523521?s=19

Along with HPSE data in the thread. I'm starting to wonder if what we're seeing now is potentially the "second wave" , it wouldn't explain the current situation in long term care settings however as you would have expected it to be there in a first wave.

I could be miles off the mark but its something worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Paddygreen wrote: »

I think we're gonna need quite a few straight jackets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1258358638596456450

a possibily the christmas bug may have been the virus.

I was vquite unwell. Couldnt really walk for a few days & huge fatigue. Took me about 3 weeks to fuly recover.
    I would certaintly be interested in the antibody test.

Now it is unlikely it was the virus. but a small chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Don't know if this has been posted before, but an interesting source of more localised (for Dublin)/current data.

GPs are surveyed on how many patients they've had who were diagnosed with Covid and how many have met the testing criteria.

The small number of respondents (100-300) has to be taken into account though.

https://www.gpcommunitytracker.com/results

Thanks for posting. Number of respondents isn't that small, would be better if it was limited to same respondents, the number has jumped a fair bit in last two days.

It's strange that the gap between the curves hasn't narrowed appreciatively since the criteria was broadened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1258354820844523521?s=19

Along with HPSE data in the thread. I'm starting to wonder if what we're seeing now is potentially the "second wave" , it wouldn't explain the current situation in long term care settings however as you would have expected it to be there in a first wave.

I could be miles off the mark but its something worth thinking about.

Yeh could be true I'm sure theyve good reason to think it if theyre publicly stating this

But if it was around and this is a second wave, it was a very unnoteworthy first wave, the number of flu related deaths this winter in ireland was the lowest in a long time, about half or even a third the amount of a normal winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

MD1990 wrote: »

I was vquite unwell. Couldnt really walk for a few days & huge fatigue. Took me about 3 weeks to fuly recover.

I thought CMO dismissed question when asked as said it didn't challenge health service until March. Would still be worth knowing I think. In terms of how infectious it was then, how many people might have antibodies etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

McDonalds opening up some restaurants (the drive thru portions for collections too I think) in the UK, and intending to open up some in a similar way in Dublin on 13th May according to some internal memo that got reported on recently...

Yeah I've heard about that. I'm not sure why it's taken them so long to reopen. I'm not even sure why they closed in the first place considering they were allowed to for takeaways. My local chipper and a pizza place near me for example has been open the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The amount of idiots in Supermarkets pawing everything wearing gloves causing cross contamination is beyond ridiculous.

The same idiots would be using their hands if they didn't wear gloves.

Boggles wrote: »

The same idiots would prehaps use the hand sanitiser at the shops entrances that non gloved patrons use. The idiots wearing gloves normally breeze by.
    The nearest shop to where I live have a no glove policy you must sanitise your hands at the entrance with the product provided.

• Advertisement

Virus lives longer on gloves than on hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Oh Jayziz! Lots of other countries seem to be able to manage the mask thing without compulsory medical degrees in PPE but for Ireland I think there is only one solution. We all strip naked outside shops and get hosed down with a high power hose and Dettol solution.

MD1990 wrote: »

Good theory, however the bars measured on the primary axis are lab confirmed cases and match perfectly to the ILI measured on the secondary access if I am reading this correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I had a lot of the symptoms back in December and was convinced it was just a real bad cough. Wonder if it could have been it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

1/3rd of passengers who arrived in Dublin Airport in the last 6 days refused to give details of the plans for their quarantine.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21764223

The government are leaving us wide open to more covid clusters and the attendant morbidity and deaths.

We have had enough of the government and HSE incompetent dithering...

Strict 14 day supervised quarantine NOW !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1/3rd of passengers who arrived in Dublin Airport in the last 6 days refused to give details of the plans for their quarantine.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21764223

The government are leaving us wide open to more covid clusters and the attendant morbidity and deaths.

We have had enough of the government and HSE incompetent dithering...

Strict 14 day supervised quarantine NOW !!!

Yeh, unless we ensure mandatory quarantine of visitors to the country in future, Irish or not, this whole lockdown was all for nothing, absolutely nothing

The same idiots would prehaps use the hand sanitiser at the shops entrances that non gloved patrons use. The idiots wearing gloves normally breeze by.
    The nearest shop to where I live have a no glove policy you must sanitise your hands at the entrance with the product provided.

Jesus you must have spent the whole pandemic in shops watching people, you have quite the collection of anecdotal data. ;)

I can only speak for myself, the reason I wear gloves is because I can sanitize them far more frequently than I would my hands.

Between all the sanitizing and washing the skin on my hands degraded to the point they were just bursting out in bloody cuts, which would be a health concern if there was no pandemic.

Again education is key, we wore gloves for 100s of reasons pre pandemic, they are a simple enough device to operate as our masks.

We don't abandon science and good practice because you claim to have seen dribblers doing stupid things.

Virus lives longer on gloves than on hands.

Pretend you are not wearing gloves then. Keep sanitizing as you go.

One thing gloves will prevent is the virus getting under the finger nails, which can be extremely difficult to clean when you are out on the go.

Again will gloves stop the spread of the virus on their own? No.

But every little helps if done correctly.

Jesus you must have spent the whole pandemic in shops watching people, you have quite the collection of anecdotal data. ;)

I can only speak for myself, the reason I wear gloves is because I can sanitize them far more frequently than I would my hands.

Between all the sanitizing and washing the skin on my hands degraded to the point they were just bursting out in bloody cuts, which would be a health concern if there was no pandemic.

Again education is key, we wore gloves for 100s of reason pre pandemic, they are a simple enough device to operate.

Not at all. I live rurally. My local shop does not allow gloves hand sanitiser instead.
    Last Saturday outside Lidl in the nearest town to me I watched people with gloves on ignore the hand sanitising station set up outside yet gloveless people used it.
    Btw it's very easy to respond without the passive aggressive tone, ninja edits aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

You'd be getting a sense that people are beginning to believe this virus might have a lifespan...

The more we hear about the likes of Austria not suffering too much from loosening restrictions (though it didn't cover their most recent easing) will likely put pressure on other countries including our own to progress through the stages quicker.

No, the virus does not have a limited lifespan, unless it mutates into a suicidal strain.
    Its two and a half weeks since they opened retail in Austria, and the virus shows no effect in a carrier for 2 weeks. They also force people to wear masks. So if somebody infected coughs or sneezes in a shop, 99% of the virus is not airborne.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement