Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

They have changed to midnight to midnight so going forward the numbers should be specific to that particular day
    Todays numbers are only for a 13 HR day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why change it? Odd.

HSE reports are always to midnight - makes sense to tally with the same time frames

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

UrbanFret wrote: »
    They have changed to midnight to midnight so going forward the numbers should be specific to that particular day
    Todays numbers are only for a 13 HR day.

It’s not as if it would have changed dramatically if it went on to 11am unless they’re doing all nighters in the labs? Not sure if it’s a 24hr operation

• Registered Users Posts: 86,273 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sad to see another 9 people lost there lives:(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

It’s not as if it would have changed dramatically if it went on to 11am unless they’re doing all nighters in the labs? Not sure if it’s a 24hr operation

It is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Probably not. . Also doubt many deaths are reported between those hours. In reality probably 2 hrs light. 09:00 to 11:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry becomes the second county to go a full week without any new cases.

Covid laboratory testing is being done 24/7 in hospitals around the country and the NVRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting : at least some modellers have predicted that the virus could simply burn itself out later this year due to low transmission rates worldwide

Can't remember his name but, a professor in one of the Sunday papers predicts it'll burn itself out by the end of June.

I'm not a scientist, nor a medical expert so I haven't a clue but, hope he's right :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

7 day rolling average deaths is down to 60. A week ago it was 81 and the week before that 162

The trend is very encouraging and suggests we are just about on top of this, particularly with NI showing similar progression

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

How old were the victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Kerry becomes the second county to go a full week without any new cases.

Who is the other?

30k test over the past week? Where are they being performed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Who is the other?

Think it’s Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Who is the other?

Shligo

kev1.3s wrote:
    Who is the other?

Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

MOR316 wrote: »
    Can't remember his name but, a professor in one of the Sunday papers predicts it'll burn itself out by the end of June.

I'm not a scientist, nor a medical expert so I haven't a clue but, hope he's right :confused:

It won't burn itself out by the end of June. Not a chance. And if it did burn itself out, you'd only need someone to come back into the country with it and we'd have it again.

The social distancing thing is what will keep the numbers low, hopefully very low, so that can't be totally abandoned.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to abandon the 2m rule and replace it with a 1m rule. 1m simply isn't far enough away. I fear the Government will make that decision for business reasons rather than public health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Onesea wrote: »
    30k test over the past week? Where are they being performed?
    Think there is still some work going on in disability centres and meat plants and the hypochondriacs will never go away!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It won't burn itself out by the end of June. Not a chance. And if it did burn itself out, you'd only need someone to come back into the country with it and we'd have it again.

The social distancing thing is what will keep the numbers low, hopefully very low, so that can't be totally abandoned.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to abandon the 2m rule and replace it with a 1m rule. 1m simply isn't far enough away. I fear the Government will make that decision for business reasons rather than public health reasons.

Your personal view is all wrong.
    Virus often lessen with strength, they aren't geared to become more severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

MOR316 wrote: »

Yes, I read that article, he's a guy at Stanford University.

It's by no means a majority opinion but it's interesting all the same. Some experts think a big second wave could come in the autumn, others think it could happen right now and yet others think the virus could simply fade away after a single wave.

• Advertisement

So are you looking at December 2021 or December 2025 for normality?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

People are rarely 2m apart anyway. It's usually always around 1m.

Onesea wrote: »
    Your personal view is all wrong.
    Virus often lessen with strength, they aren't geared to become more severe.

I hope you are right. But I don't think this virus will be gone by June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It's an assumption that it won't burn out. Widespread testing hasn't happened so we don't know how far it went, potentially those that are likely to feel actual symptoms worth testing have already been rooted out. Not saying that's the case but that there is potential as it is an assumption there would be no burn out of the virus.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, I read that article, he's a guy at Stanford University.

It's by no means a majority opinion but it's interesting all the same. Some experts think a big second wave could come in the autumn, others think it could happen right now and yet others think the virus could simply fade away after a single wave.
    Not medical, he's a Nobel chemist and he used modelling. He's got our numbers wrong. Out by 5K on cases and half of the deaths he projected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

is_that_so wrote: »

Anyones guess but you would need to see 0 new cases over the course of 2 weeks at least before any suggestion that it has burned out and thats just here never mind globally.

I'd be hoping for some sort of normality in 2021. But things won't go back exactly the way they were. Some changes will be permanent.

Has the seasonal flu and pneumonia taken a holiday?
    Where are the stats for the past winter of either ilness in any of the European countries.
    With all the testing going on, surely some of the people who were tested negative for 19 should have at least shown positives for other corona types.So would this be the year to have better stats on common cold and seasonal flu.

The age of today's victims? Location? Any other ailments amoung today's casualties?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not medical, he's a Nobel chemist and he used modelling. He's got our numbers wrong. Out by 5K on cases and half of the deaths he projected.

For sure but he's not a lone voice in the wilderness.

Majority of scientists think Covid will still be around next year but many admit they can't make any predictions with great confidence.

• Advertisement

It's an assumption that it won't burn out. Widespread testing hasn't happened so we don't know how far it went, potentially those that are likely to feel actual symptoms worth testing have already been rooted out. Not saying that's the case but that there is potential as it is an assumption there would be no burn out of the virus.

Yes, the virus will eventually burn out, but that won't be for a while. We need a huge amount of the population to have gotten the virus and survived. I doubt 10% of the population have had it at this stage. But we don't know that for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement