Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Media here ignored it because it was a non-story; there was nothing breaking restrictions. As for why seeing a man in his 40s with his top off offends your sensibilities so much is more worrying.

Hopefully he had suncream on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I find it to be both odd and hilarious that US media covers the story varadkar but Irish media completely ignores the story. I wouldn't be surprised if his PR team came up with the idea and he did it on purpose for the attention. The sight of him with his top off turns my stomach. Minor note: Where did he get his sunglasses? Mr price?

Media ignores the story?

It was literally on front page of every newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It won't burn itself out by the end of June. Not a chance. And if it did burn itself out, you'd only need someone to come back into the country with it and we'd have it again.

The social distancing thing is what will keep the numbers low, hopefully very low, so that can't be totally abandoned.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to abandon the 2m rule and replace it with a 1m rule. 1m simply isn't far enough away. I fear the Government will make that decision for business reasons rather than public health reasons.

It also gives too much leeway. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm standing 2 metres away from someone, but at least you're probably guaranteed to be at least 1 metre. Whereas if they reduce it the margin of error reduces too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Haven't been in this thread much of late but I'm suprised at the level of premature 'the worst is over' back-slapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Haven't been in this thread much of late but I'm suprised at the level of premature 'the worst is over' back-slapping.

Well we're currently through a difficult period and things appear to be settling down.

Now we've to listen to the constant 2nd wave talk, the constant scaremongering on the likes of prime time and tonight on virgin media. When yet there is no proof of any of that at this moment.

It's no wonder theres so much fear in the country watching them shows. People calling for mandatory quarantine, certain businesses not to be allowed reopen, all based off what they listen to and not actually looking into it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Mwengwe wrote: »

The worst is over, obviously a long road still ahead but time to relax more restrictions

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If a line manager/company owner etc. lets someone come into/stay in work while they are coughing, snorting and spluttering under the impression that it's just a cold, and it turns out that it was COVID-19.......... and then work colleagues catch COVID-19 from that person, it might leave the company open to personal injury claims.

Would be hard to prove where they contracted it unless they do proper contract tracing, and even then it would be fought.

Learned a long time ago that when asked to do something outside of the standard procedures or someone is acting the dick and trying to throw their weight around, it's best to have evidence that they are doing so.

HSE daily operations report just released.

As of 8pm 48 confirmed covid patients in ICU.

A huge drop in confirmed cases in acute hospitals tonight, as of 8pm 218 patients down from 288 last night.

9 cases confirmed in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs.

I might add that of the 288 confirmed cases.
    The mater accounts for 55, Tallaght 42, Connolly and Beaumont 22 each.
    Other major Dublin hospitals, St James's 11, Vincent's 12.

Outside of Dublin the most is Limerick 16

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

bekker wrote: »
    Arlane Foster is no Ian Paisley, but that being said, UK policy from London allowed him to take the course he did.

Currently UK policy is at odds with Irish policy, and NI is unable to adopt an all-island policy simply because London won't fund it.

Foster does what she's told, big Ian did what he wanted. DUP would have kept the UVF/UDA at arms length in his day, used when necessary but always plausible deniability, Robinson was too stupid for this method so now they are at the heart of the party now,

The worst is over, obviously a long road still ahead but time to relax more restrictions

90% of the population have had no contact with the virus, once we relax the restrictions we will see a second wave, we never got the Italy/Spain type spread ,opening too soon or allowing unrestricted travel will see us back in lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

90% of the population have had no contact with the virus, once we relax the restrictions we will see a second wave, we never got the Italy/Spain type spread ,opening too soon or allowing unrestricted travel will see us back in lockdown.

The more we know, the less we know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I've yet to see any evidence of this even being a possibility, never mind a certainty, have you seen some evidence that I haven't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The worst is over if we keep on top of it. There is almost no immunity in the population, so preventing anything worse happening relies completely on efficient measures to stop spread

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We have no clue what percentage had contact with coronavirus. It could be as low as 2.5% or up to 20%.

NDWC wrote: »
    I've yet to see any evidence of this even being a possibility, never mind a certainty, have you seen some evidence that I haven't?

Virus is currently waning here as restrictions have kept it from spreading, once you ease the restrictions infections will likely rise, WHO expects a second wave worldwide.

eagle eye wrote: »
    We have no clue what percentage had contact with coronavirus. It could be as low as 2.5% or up to 20%.

We've had around 35 k cases reported, testing was non -exiistant for the first month so on a rough estimate 10 times that infected, 350-400 k ,that's 10% of the population so my figure of 90% uninfected is likely

We've had around 35 k cases reported, testing was non -exiistant for the first month so on a rough estimate 10 times that infected, 350-400 k ,that's 10% of the population so my figure of 90% uninfected is likely

How many did we test?

Virus is currently waning here as restrictions have kept it from spreading, once you ease the restrictions infections will likely rise, WHO expects a second wave worldwide.

Restrictions have been eased in multiple EU countries with no rise

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1265232235705270272?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well we have a good ball park. Almost impossible that immunity would be higher here than in UK , France or Spain which are all aroud 5%. 3% would likely be a high estimate for Ireland

Mike3287 wrote: »
    How many did we test?

325000 so far, 24 k positive,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd be extremely sceptical of claims that 10, 15, 20% of Irish people have had Covid-19.

It would be one bizarre virus that shows no symptoms in most people it infects and yet kills others.

93% of people who thought they had Covid19 didn't?

Where are you getting 350,000 people had it?

Makes no sense

7% positive rate

Surely you'd get a far higher positive rate with people who are actually sick and been in contact with people with Covid19

Always with the negative waves,, on a positive note I read earlier that one of a WHO experts said that they are not expecting a second wave

How many times have hospital workers etc been tested, 325000 tests might only be 100000 people tested.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well we have a good ball park. Almost impossible that immunity would be higher here than in UK , France or Spain which are all aroud 5%. 3% would likely be a high estimate for Ireland

If we do that specific test thats probably likely

Doesn't mean its true

Antibody tests could be crap and missing something to detect a previous infection, more we know, less we know with this virus

The real test I would like too see is how contagious this thing really is and who have immunity, some do, so many stories of people not being infected yet living with covid infected

Some kind of expirement perphaps

Put 1000 in a room with covid infected, for 1min, 1hour, 1day etc

Study who didnt catch it, who did, how long it took, how

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭quokula

Mike3287 wrote: »
    93% of people who thought they had Covid19 didn't?

Where are you getting 350,000 people had it?

Makes no sense

7% positive rate

Surely you'd get a far higher positive rate with people who are actually sick and been in contact with people with Covid19

Those are the reported numbers, 325k were tested, 25k positive.

So yes, 93% of people tested didn’t have it. This is not a bad thing, in fact it is a very good sign that our level of testing has been very thorough.

But if 7% of tests were positive, and people who haven’t met any criteria to be tested are far less likely to have it, then the total number of people who have had it will be far less than 7%. Something like 1% would be a reasonable guess if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

quokula wrote: »

So yes, 93% of people tested didn’t have it. This is not a bad thing, in fact it is a very good sign that our level of testing has been very thorough.

But if 7% of tests were positive, and people who haven’t met any criteria to be tested are far less likely to have it, then the total number of people who have had it will be far less than 7%. Something like 1% would be a reasonable guess if you ask me.

325k people were not tested
    Even if that many were tested they are only testing people with symptoms ergo you are testing people who are likely to have it
    Our positivity rate is very low

quokula wrote: »

Yes mathematically that 1% is far more probable

Which is also a good thing as it cant be that contagious if thats true

Our crap version of a lockdown has it almost killed, that aint stopping a highly contagious virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

A question I asked some time ago and I'd like to ask again.

Those of you saying that keeping distance between each other will remain, no close contact etc...
    Have you asked yourselves what you're going to do for sex? How are you going to cope with not having that need satisfied?

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, it's a genuine question. I know someone, they're obeying by it all, won't even come within 10 feet of me and others yet, they're going out of their mind, wanting some.
    Someone else also asked me for a quickie, they were that hard up for it.

Now, are you telling me, after all we've learned about STD's, unwanted pregnancies happening and people still have unprotected sex, that you think you're going to refrain from going out to a beer garden and chatting someone up? That you're not going to invite someone over? That you're not going to ask someone out on a date? That you expect the population of the country/world to refrain from it? Because of this virus?

I honestly mean no offence by this because I know you mean well but, seriously? That's kind of laughable if you expect yourselves to go until 2021, 2025 I saw someone mention or until a vaccine is produced, without that kind of intimacy. It suggests to me you don't know yourself or others that well at all. Naivety basically

Never under estimate the power of human nature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

MOR316 wrote: »
    A question I asked some time ago and I'd like to ask again.

Those of you saying that keeping distance between each other will remain, no close contact etc...
    Have you asked yourselves what you're going to do for sex? How are you going to cope with not having that need satisfied?

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, it's a genuine question. I know someone, they're obeying by it all, won't even come within 10 feet of me and others yet, they're going out of their mind, wanting some.
    Someone else also asked me for a quickie, they were that hard up for it.

Now, are you telling me, after all we've learned about STD's, unwanted pregnancies happening and people still have unprotected sex, that you think you're going to refrain from going out to a beer garden and chatting someone up? That you're not going to invite someone over? That you're not going to ask someone out on a date? That you expect the population of the country/world to refrain from it? Because of this virus?

I honestly mean no offence by this because I know you mean well but, seriously? That's kind of laughable if you expect yourselves to go until 2021, 2025 I saw someone mention or until a vaccine is produced, without that kind of intimacy. It suggests to me you don't know yourself or others that well at all. Naivety basically

Never under estimate the power of human nature

To quote Homer, "I sleep in a bed with my wife..."

If I was single I wouldn't be overly worried, we've minimal community transfer at this stage by the looks of things and anyway those driven by such urges are unlikely to be in the at risk category. If you're that horny go for it.

It hasn't got a patch on the bareback ONS with a stranger in the mid 90's anyway. Corona would be the least of your worries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement