Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This would explain a lot. It has a fvcking invisibility cloak.

“ Coronavirus uses same strategy as HIV to dodge immune response, Chinese study finds”

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3086177/coronavirus-uses-same-strategy-hiv-dodge-immune-response-chinese

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1265479011314139138?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

MOR316 wrote: »
    A question I asked some time ago and I'd like to ask again.

Those of you saying that keeping distance between each other will remain, no close contact etc...
    Have you asked yourselves what you're going to do for sex? How are you going to cope with not having that need satisfied?

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, it's a genuine question. I know someone, they're obeying by it all, won't even come within 10 feet of me and others yet, they're going out of their mind, wanting some.
    Someone else also asked me for a quickie, they were that hard up for it.

Now, are you telling me, after all we've learned about STD's, unwanted pregnancies happening and people still have unprotected sex, that you think you're going to refrain from going out to a beer garden and chatting someone up? That you're not going to invite someone over? That you're not going to ask someone out on a date? That you expect the population of the country/world to refrain from it? Because of this virus?

I honestly mean no offence by this because I know you mean well but, seriously? That's kind of laughable if you expect yourselves to go until 2021, 2025 I saw someone mention or until a vaccine is produced, without that kind of intimacy. It suggests to me you don't know yourself or others that well at all. Naivety basically

Never under estimate the power of human nature

Ha, it's kind of amazing how many people are fixated on it, still going on Tinder as much as they ever did pre-pandemic etc.

I've gone years of my life without any intimacy (not by choice, but some of us don't have it as easy in that whole area I guess), it's do-able. Learn how to masturbate..

Kind of irks me, this kind of thing. The same people would probably scoff if you told them (pre-pandemic) how lonely it can be when you're regarded as 'unattractive/undateable'

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

2ndcoming wrote: »
    To quote Homer, "I sleep in a bed with my wife..."

If I was single I wouldn't be overly worried, we've minimal community transfer at this stage by the looks of things and anyway those driven by such urges are unlikely to be in the at risk category. If you're that horny go for it.

It hasn't got a patch on the bareback ONS with a stranger in the mid 90's anyway. Corona would be the least of your worries.

Was there not one guy in South Korea who infected about 40 people just going around nightclubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

eagle eye wrote: »
    We have no clue what percentage had contact with coronavirus. It could be as low as 2.5% or up to 20%.

For all anyone knows it could be 90%. Beyond me why people keep referring to figures that have no consistent method of correlation in any country, so simply can’t be compared or considered.

Strazdas wrote: »

It would be one bizarre virus that shows no symptoms in most people it infects and yet kills others.

But that’s exactly what it does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

quokula wrote: »
    Those are the reported numbers, 325k were tested, 25k positive.

So yes, 93% of people tested didn’t have it. This is not a bad thing, in fact it is a very good sign that our level of testing has been very thorough.

But if 7% of tests were positive, and people who haven’t met any criteria to be tested are far less likely to have it, then the total number of people who have had it will be far less than 7%. Something like 1% would be a reasonable guess if you ask me.
    We’ve done a good job managing this, but to suggest only 1% have had it doesn’t really make a lot of sense. We’ve confirmed 0.5% of the population to date. That’s the baseline. You need to make an allowance for asymptomatic people which are thought to be 50% (as per research - albeit a small sample). That will bring you in the ballpark of 1%. Then there are people that will not seek help as they just passed it off, plus an asymptomatic person for each one of those. The thinking is these will be the bulk of cases. And we also have people that didn’t meet criteria early on which will have been missed. In summary, it will likely be between 100k and 250k now, that’s between 2% and 5%. That’s a fairly wide range but there’s a lot of unknowns. The thinking is that the UK is likely at 10%. It’s interesting to look at excess deaths too, the UK has had c.3 times as many as us per capita. This could perhaps be used as a tool as more information becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Was there not one guy in South Korea who infected about 40 people just going around nightclubs?

A lot more than 40... But they have managed to stop the virus in it's tracks.

"After partiers with the coronavirus went to nightclubs, South Korea found and tested 46,000 exposed people.

More than 160 people tested positive and were isolated and treated accordingly.

By May 18, the country's new daily domestic cases had dropped back to nine."

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-contact-tracing-helped-control-nightclub-outbreak-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

We’ve done a good job managing this, but to suggest only 1% have had it doesn’t really make a lot of sense. We’ve confirmed 0.5% of the population to date. That’s the baseline. You need to make an allowance for asymptomatic people which are thought to be 50% (as per research - albeit a small sample). That will bring you in the ballpark of 1%. Then there are people that will not seek help as they just passed it off, plus an asymptomatic person for each one of those. The thinking is these will be the bulk of cases. And we also have people that didn’t meet criteria early on which will have been missed. In summary, it will likely be between 100k and 250k now, that’s between 2% and 5%. That’s a fairly wide range but there’s a lot of unknowns. The thinking is that the UK is likely at 10%. It’s interesting to look at excess deaths too, the UK has had c.3 times as many as us per capita. This could perhaps be used as a tool as more information becomes available.

Based on Fatality rates - best case 0.26% worst case 1.1% from antibody studies elsewhere, we have had somewhere between 146,000 and 617,000 cases. Until we have results of an antibody study that's all we can really say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

bekker wrote: »
    Arlane Foster is no Ian Paisley, but that being said, UK policy from London allowed him to take the course he did.

Currently UK policy is at odds with Irish policy, and NI is unable to adopt an all-island policy simply because London won't fund it.

Not true... Northern Ireland already have a different Covid-19 policy to London's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

“ Coronavirus uses same strategy as HIV to dodge immune response, Chinese study finds”

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3086177/coronavirus-uses-same-strategy-hiv-dodge-immune-response-chinese

Expect more made up sh1te and scaremongering from China and its doctors as this burns out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Based on Fatality rates - best case 0.26% worst case 1.1% from antibody studies elsewhere, we have had somewhere between 146,000 and 617,000 cases. Until we have results of an antibody study that's all we can really say

Fatality rate increases across age ranges, so if most of the deaths are >80, you're looking at a different IFR, up to 10% in some estimates. The average may be 0.26% or 1.1% but there are a lot of variables to consider before using that plus number of deaths to work out cases. It will vary depending on a populations general health, age, response to pandemic, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As far as I'm aware social gatherings outdoor are allowed with up to 4 people.

Nice you slag someone about their body appearance.

Says a lot about you.

Were you the bully in school?

It was reported all over the world except Ireland. Saw clippings from Romania and Dominican Republic last night on Twitter.

Someone also put up a google maps showing the distance from Leo’s Farmleigh residence to the monument his press officer said he was. 5.8kms. Print media is dying on its arse and this week has shown why. They're nothing more than ad rags for expensive PR firms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Virus is currently waning here as restrictions have kept it from spreading, once you ease the restrictions infections will likely rise, WHO expects a second wave worldwide.

The opposite happened in Denmark. After restrictions were eased the R0 declined.

Fatality rate increases across age ranges, so if most of the deaths are >80, you're looking at a different IFR, up to 10% in some estimates. The average may be 0.26% or 1.1% but there are a lot of variables to consider before using that plus number of deaths to work out cases. It will vary depending on a populations general health, age, response to pandemic, etc.

That's why we cant draw any conclusions as to the final numbers until we have antibody testing data. No reason to believe the distribution of infections here among age groups would be significantly different to other countries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Ha, it's kind of amazing how many people are fixated on it, still going on Tinder as much as they ever did pre-pandemic etc.

I've gone years of my life without any intimacy (not by choice, but some of us don't have it as easy in that whole area I guess), it's do-able. Learn how to masturbate..

Kind of irks me, this kind of thing. The same people would probably scoff if you told them (pre-pandemic) how lonely it can be when you're regarded as 'unattractive/undateable'

No no, I'm in the same boat as you so don't tar everyone with the same brush ;)

But, not everyone is the same. In fact, the vast majority ain't the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Concerning here in Spain, bars are open to reduced capacity, but terraces seem packed, I have seen bars down by the beach and terraces packed - tables not spaced out or every 2nd one empty either .

It's funny everyone walking on the street is wearing a mask then they sit down in big groups with no masks on a patio and have beers .... :confused:

Also the active cases are rising again, they were on a downward trend for weeks now .... a bit worrying ...

514407.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There have been a number of positive developments on this virus. I just wanted to share that I am thankful to God for the following:

Children in general have been spared
    Vitamin D deficiency linked early on
    Reinfection unlikely
    Not long term (like HIV)
    Physical distancing helped
    Deaths have started to drop off

I hope for healing for everyone in the thread. Take care!

I’d just like to share that if there is a god I’m not very fûcking thankful that he concocted a virus that has infected 5.6 million people worldwide , has killed 350,000 people worldwide.. has affected millions who have lost loved ones and couldn’t even be with them as they left this world to say goodbye and provide comfort..

It’s all fine and dandy ‘crediting’ him with the positive responses but to my mind the credit is simply going to doctors, nurses, carers, scientists, family members of sufferers and victims, whom have ALL shown tremendous amounts of tangible resolve, expertise, diligence and care, on super heroic levels to try and bring us out of this shîtshow that your so called ‘god’ created.

It’s almost like saying if I had walked into the GPO with an M16 and started spraying bullets like there is no tomorrow.. “well Strumms, isn’t he great, he only shot dead 12 out of the 167 people in the GPO... he spared many, great fella !”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d just like to share that if there is a god I’m not very fûcking thankful that he concocted a virus that has infected 5.6 million people worldwide , has killed 350,000 people worldwide.. has affected millions who have lost loved ones and couldn’t even be with them as they left this world to say goodbye and provide comfort..

It’s all fine and dandy ‘crediting’ him with the positive responses but to my mind the credit is simply going to doctors, nurses, carers, scientists, family members of sufferers and victims, whom have ALL shown tremendous amounts of tangible resolve, expertise, diligence and care, on super heroic levels to try and bring us out of this shîtshow that your so called ‘god’ created.

It’s almost like saying if I had walked into the GPO with an M16 and started spraying bullets like there is no tomorrow.. “well Strumms, isn’t he great, he only shot dead 12 out of the 167 people in the GPO... he spared many, great fella !”

Just respect someone's beliefs. No Need to bring that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

You have to wonder why China are going for eradication of the virus by any means and the western world are flattening the curve ;-)

Strange for a country that supposedly doesn't dont care about its citizens

HIV link has been rumoured since the beginning as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

MOR316 wrote: »
    A question I asked some time ago and I'd like to ask again.

Those of you saying that keeping distance between each other will remain, no close contact etc...
    Have you asked yourselves what you're going to do for sex? How are you going to cope with not having that need satisfied?

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, it's a genuine question. I know someone, they're obeying by it all, won't even come within 10 feet of me and others yet, they're going out of their mind, wanting some.
    Someone else also asked me for a quickie, they were that hard up for it.

Now, are you telling me, after all we've learned about STD's, unwanted pregnancies happening and people still have unprotected sex, that you think you're going to refrain from going out to a beer garden and chatting someone up? That you're not going to invite someone over? That you're not going to ask someone out on a date? That you expect the population of the country/world to refrain from it? Because of this virus?

I honestly mean no offence by this because I know you mean well but, seriously? That's kind of laughable if you expect yourselves to go until 2021, 2025 I saw someone mention or until a vaccine is produced, without that kind of intimacy. It suggests to me you don't know yourself or others that well at all. Naivety basically

Never under estimate the power of human nature

Most of the posters here are wafflers who want to play with their R numbers, they couldn't say.

They've agreed to criminalise ordinary life because government/ media have sad so, but put no thought into the things you're asking about.

Or else they long for some kind of collective suicide because they find life unbearable.

Years-long social distancing would mean an end to family formation, we would essentially be bringing life to an end and winding down the country itself.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »

If it’s about respect then the poster should have respected the feelings of others. I’ll bring up whatever I like. If you believe ‘god’ is responsible for positive trends now you need to acknowledge they are responsible for the shîtshow of it being here and six figure deaths because of it and him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Concerning here in Spain, bars are open to reduced capacity, but terraces seem packed, I have seen bars down by the beach and terraces packed - tables not spaced out or every 2nd one empty either .

It's funny everyone walking on the street is wearing a mask then they sit down in big groups with no masks on a patio and have beers .... :confused:

Also the active cases are rising again, they were on a downward trend for weeks now .... a bit worrying ...

514407.png

Worldometers havent posted recovery figures for spain in 8 days, so that's likely the reason for active cases going up rather than down. The new cases are still trending down.

growleaves wrote: »
    Most of the posters here are wafflers who want to play with their R numbers, they couldn't say.

They've agreed to criminalise ordinary life because government/ media have sad so, but put no thought into the things you're asking about.

Or else they long for some kind of collective suicide because they find life unbearable.

Years-long social distancing would mean an end to family formation, we would essentially be bringing life to an end and winding down the country itself.

The purpose of social distancing was to flatten the curve. To enable the health service and country to cope with the onslaught and fallout from it.

In the main it’s worked. Without it the country would be fücked.

Social distancing is responsible, it won’t last years, restrictions are already being lifted.

Spot on !

If it’s about respect then the poster should have respected the feelings of others. I’ll bring up whatever I like. If you believe ‘god’ is responsible for positive trends now you need to acknowledge they are responsible for the shhow of it being here and six figure deaths because of it and him.

False. Not getting into a theological debate but some Christians e.g. believe that God is not omnipotent but can influence the universe in positive but limited ways. It doesn't follow logically that God is responsible for deaths/ bad things that happen.

wadacrack wrote: »

No!
    Why should people's belief in a cult be respected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The opposite happened in Denmark. After restrictions were eased the R0 declined.

We ain't Denmark.

They were first to close up.

They have 40% of our cases and a third of our deaths.

They just did it better then everyone else and continue to do so.

One very simple example of what they did was increase the volume of buses and trains when everyone else was decreasing them.

There is a reason Denmark is considered one of the best countries in the world to live.

But in terms of this virus, they also have this.

Statens Serum Institut

A world class well funded infectious disease institute that is 120 years old.

No!

Your own beliefs about many things are being treated in a respectful and civil way all the time which you take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No!
    Unless there is some overt effort to hurt others they have as much right to be respected as your own lack of belief in a cult!

• Advertisement

514407.png

Above all the stats reported on Worldometers, active cases is the most meaningless - 0 recoveries recorded for Spain in 7 days. Do you think no one has recovered in the last 7 days in the whole country? Daily new cases remains stable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement