Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

owlbethere wrote: »
    Yeah, we might as well be a realistic as possible. A suggestion that was put out was to section off society. Keep older people cocooned and send the younger adults out the door to work.

Fcuk that sh1te down to the ground. Our government can go royally Fcuk themselves if that's the road they will send us on. Send the young adults out the door to work to face disease and to earn a wage that doesn't pay a rent or a mortgage. Fcuk that sh1te.

If you are young, you are better off getting the disease in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I said on here a month ago I reckoned by the end of July Europe will be back to close to normal I still stand by that,
    Its still two months away and things seems to be gathering momentum on the road to normality ,

By August I reckon pubs will even be open to near previous capacity's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Christy42

Here's a study on Epidemiologic Clues to Bioterrorism. It's appearing increasingly likely we are living through another Cold War. Countries involved spend billions annually on this capability. The features of this disease are very suspicious.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1497515/pdf/12690063.pdf

514410.png

More general info on this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_warfare#cite_note-80

Why is the quote bolded? That part looks like it should be on a scenic background and shared around on Facebook while having little meaning.

I am going to need more (read: actual) evidence that this was created in a lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If you are young, you are better off getting the disease in the long run

Probably , but I don't know how popular that would be among young people

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The virus does't recognise countries or borders. The virus doesn't decide to be more contagious in one country.

:confused:

That's why countries use mitigation.

Denmark closed their borders in March.

Denmark Closes Border To All International Tourists For One Month

The countries who acted quicker and were more decisive are doing better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

bb1234567 wrote: »

It's a respiratory virus. Everyone is going to get it eventually unless they go around in a space suit for the rest of their lives. Every measure is a mere delaying tactic.

What has C02 emissions got to do with covid?

Monitoring CO2 emissions will SAVE LIVES according to the climate models I've just created. Now hold still while I affix this electronic tagging device to your ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

growleaves wrote: »
    It's a respiratory virus. Everyone is going to get it eventually unless they go around in a space suit for the rest of their lives. Every measure is a mere delaying tactic.

exactly delay tactic till there is a vaccine and at risk groups can be vaccinated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

That's why countries use mitigation.

Denmark closed their borders in March.

Denmark Closes Border To All International Tourists For One Month

The countries who acted quicker and were more decisive are doing better.

So why would it re-spike in Ireland without the massive restrictions?? The virus doesn't know it's in Ireland.

growleaves wrote: »
    Monitoring CO2 emissions will SAVE LIVES according to the climate models I've just created. Now hold still while I affix this electronic tagging device to your ankle.

So in other words nothing, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A hiv infection can cause a flu like illness in some people after exposure. Then other people don't show any flu like symptoms and can still have hiv. They can carry hiv with them for years and not know it and then it causes trouble in the body and aids.

With the recent reporting on the twitter, could this virus turn out to be the same? Some people are experiencing a long tail illness. Other people don't have any symptoms. Could asymptomatic people of this infection face a future with health problems from this virus?

All extremely unlikely. The virus doesn't penetrate the nucleus of the cell when it replicates. This means that once it's gone, it's gone. The 'long tail' of the illness that many people are experiencing is almost certainly post-viral. I say this as someone who started experiencing symptoms 10 weeks ago and still have a way to go to recovery. Every single symptom I still have matches a known post-viral syndrome. I'll be fine in a month or two. This is not a chronic illness for people, unless they have sustained an injury like lung scarring or have lost a limb in the initial illness.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    So in other words nothing, well done.

My post has to do with the willingness of people such as yourself to embrace totalitarianism.

In a few years you'll be admonishing people who are unhappy about carbon rationing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I said on here a month ago I reckoned by the end of July Europe will be back to close to normal I still stand by that,
    Its still two months away and things seems to be gathering momentum on the road to normality ,

By August I reckon pubs will even be open to near previous capacity's

I'd say most people would say yourdeadwrong (sic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Yeah, we might as well be a realistic as possible. A suggestion that was put out was to section off society. Keep older people cocooned and send the younger adults out the door to work.

Fcuk that sh1te down to the ground. Our government can go royally Fcuk themselves if that's the road they will send us on. Send the young adults out the door to work to face disease and to earn a wage that doesn't pay a rent or a mortgage. Fcuk that sh1te.

Watch the film 1917.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

bb1234567 wrote: »

That's unfortunate but they'll have to chose themselves at some point how they want to live and do they want to live on welfare or work. Your grandparents had to fight a war and all you're being asked is to go back to work... or was it sit on your ass and watch Netflix....

Older people too will have to decide and many will not be ordered to cocoon outside of the general population. I doubt very much whether this would even be legally enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Does anyone know if there is a specific number to ring about non compliance ? I am talking specifically about a very large retail store with no times or queue for the vulnerable .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Idiots: "You guys are so negative, why can't you just be positive and say we won't have a second wave"

Also idiots if there is awful second wave: "Well that's life, these things happen, who could have seen that coming?"

We don't have the greatest governments (I certainly don't in the UK!) but even they aren't as stupid and reckless as these people. It's very simple. You come out of this very slowly and cautiously so that we only write off Spring and some of Summer socially and economically rather than having many more deaths, many more lockdowns and a potential great depression in 2021 if this isn't handled bloody smartly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a specific number to ring about non compliance ? I am talking specifically about a very large retail store with no times or queue for the vulnerable .

That's not a compliance issue, up to each store to decide if they want to allocate times to the vulnerable.

You'd have to take it up with the store itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I don't think stores were required to have set times for any group. More a store policy.

I don't think stores were required to have set times for any group. More a store policy.

I read that if retail want to open they must make times available for the vulnerable . I will try to find it again

Found it .

https://www.thejournal.ie/phase-2-covid-whats-new-5107812-May2020/

Those who can work from home will continue to do so.

The retail outlets which are to reopen must develop safeguards for their staff and their prospective customers. They must consider the following:

social distancing compliance
    hygiene and cleaning
    plans for medically vulnerable or pregnant people
    extended opening hours to enable social distancing

• Advertisement

Is anyone just waking up every morning and thanking God (regardless of his existance) you feel fine? I mean I fear getting it even if I'd almost certainly be okay - just the worry of going through days of illness and not only dealing with being sick but thinking "there's an outside chance I could end up in hospital here". But yeah gotta suck it up I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fr336 wrote: »
    Idiots: "You guys are so negative, why can't you just be positive and say we won't have a second wave"

Also idiots if there is awful second wave: "Well that's life, these things happen, who could have seen that coming?"

We don't have the greatest governments (I certainly don't in the UK!) but even they aren't as stupid and reckless as these people. It's very simple. You come out of this very slowly and cautiously so that we only write off Spring and some of Summer socially and economically rather than having many more deaths, many more lockdowns and a potential great depression in 2021 if this isn't handled bloody smartly.

The roadmap makes so much sense. 5 phases where each phase will be monitored. If they see an increase in covid19 in a phase, eg in phase 4, they rewind to phase 3 and implement the restrictions in phase 3, instead of locking down entirely.

I read that if retail want to open they must make times available for the vulnerable . I will try to find it again

Found it .

The retail outlets which are to reopen must develop safeguards for their staff and their prospective customers. They must consider the following:

hygiene and cleaning

Yes consider, they dont have to. It's up to each company.

Theres no rule that you have to have set hours for vulnerable groups, most stores are just setting their own hours.

If they dont have hours set aside take it up with the store, it's not a compliance issue with regards to opening

The roadmap makes so much sense. 5 phases where each phase will be monitored. If they see an increase in covid19 in a phase, eg in phase 4, they rewind to phase 3 and implement the restrictions in phase 3, instead of locking down entirely.

Yes it makes total sense. I think the welfare of the whole country health and economy wise is far more important than some mindless and frankly worryingly childish short termism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Things are starting to improve in the US despite opening up many parts.

Seems like after the virus explodes for a few months it may possibly become less contagious over time.
    Maybe many people are immune to the virus.

Because it is quite strange how it is declining in the states despite opening up.
    Hard one to really explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Found it .

https://www.thejournal.ie/phase-2-covid-whats-new-5107812-May2020/

hygiene and cleaning

Consideration is not the same as required to implement something. If you feel truly vulnerable may I suggest you get someone to go in your stead.

Consideration is not the same as required to implement something. If you feel truly vulnerable may I suggest you get someone to go in your stead.

I dont thanks . It was on behalf of those who are . Its a huge retail outlet they could at very least make an effort

MD1990 wrote: »
    Things are starting to improve in the US despite opening up many parts.

Seems like after the virus explodes for a few months it may possibly become less contagious over time.
    Maybe many people are immune to the virus.

Because it is quite strange how it is declining in the states despite opening up.
    Hard one to really explain.

Have people forgotten the incubation period can be up to two weeks? I keep looking at posts wanting to be positive but unfortunately this virus has given us bad news from the start. But maybe it is somehow in decline, we can only hope..

fr336 wrote: »
    Have people forgotten the incubation period can be up to two weeks? I keep looking at posts wanting to be positive but unfortunately this virus has given us bad news from the start. But maybe it is somehow in decline, we can only hope..

No people aren't forgetting the 2 weeks. Look at other European countries who are well past a 2 week incubation period and lifted restrictions a month ago, no increase but a continuing decline. Our 5 phases are dragged out to leave us last in the EU to open up. But this is something for the relaxation of restrictions thread.

If people do their own research into it there are reasons to be positive and optimistic, if people take everything on rte and virgin media as face value then it's no wonder people are scared

• Advertisement

No people aren't forgetting the 2 weeks. Look at other European countries who are well past a 2 week incubation period and lifted restrictions a month ago, no increase but a continuing decline. Our 5 phases are dragged out to leave us last in the EU to open up. But this is something for the relaxation of restrictions thread.

If people do their own research into it there are reasons to be positive and optimistic, if people take everything on rte and virgin media as face value then it's no wonder people are scared

Goes without saying I hope you're right. But weren't the lockdowns on the continent much more stringent with people hardly being allowed outside at all and therefore they made more use of the lockdown and seeing positive results now? I'd love things to go back to normal, the world alive again even if my own life is pretty boring!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement