Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Lockdown suppresses, distancing controls

That can be your slogan for the next General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Interesting comments on this. The Spanish are reporting much milder cases.
    https://twitter.com/ajgregory_tenor/status/1265565710333460480?s=21

May be the people are more judicious in their behavior now post lockdown.

growleaves wrote: »
    That can be your slogan for the next General Election.

I think it would really engage the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Lockdown suppresses, distancing controls. Look at Sweden, under control but at a high level. It is becoming clear that all over Europe, lockdown with easing to various distancing and enhanced hygiene measures has been the best strategy

If you look at the videos of the pond life in and around Dublin having street parties on the lash every day, no lockdown or social distancing, no washing hands.. Nada. Then you go see the amount of kids that never distanced, Frontline retail workers.. Leaves holes in the theory.
    Either way the fact the virus strength has lessened says alot. Instead of a fall off it actually weakens. This was reported some time ago in Italy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a general summary of what's going on. Sufficient take up is key. We'll need at least 25%.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01514-2#

Our app it seems is due for the end of May, so soon -ish.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hse-contact-tracing-app-coronavirus-5090759-May2020/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think it would really engage the masses

Only if you guarantee €350 a week aswell.

Onesea wrote: »
    If you look at the videos of the pond life in and around Dublin having street parties on the lash every day, no lockdown or social distancing, no washing hands.. Nada. Then you go see the amount of kids that never distanced, Frontline retail workers.. Leaves holes in the theory.
    Either way the fact the virus strength has lessened says alot. Instead of a fall off it actually weakens. This was reported some time ago in Italy as well.

Is great to see if that is the case that it is weakening. I may have posted about that back in March.
    Don’t tell the masses by the way, for lockdown to work it only needs about 90% adherence. If they said that however you would be lucky to get 50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

fr336 wrote: »
    How does this work? Someone catches Covid at the peak of the epidemic, brings it home, either shows symptoms or doesn't, passes it onto another person who may not display symptoms for 2 weeks? Then that person infects someone else in the household? Seems a bit far fetched to me, surely if it's transmitting through households someone in the same household would infect people within a day or at most a few days? Not weeks after they caught it themselves. No community transmission? Hmmm.

They have found that most people don't transmit the virus to anyone, even within the same household. The spread seems to be mainly focused on super spreader individuals and events that led to a large number of infections. Most clusters burn themselves out without becoming widespread outbreaks. So its entirely possible that there isn't widespread community transmission and more isolated clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

But let's not forget that:

1) we need to remain afraid to leave the house

2) we need to wear masks (and preferably hazmat suits) to the supermarket (even if only 0.3% of supermarket staff got infected as confirmed this week)

3) we need to ignore the fact that despite all the paranoia for the last 2 months, a bit of social distancing sorted most of it all out.

Stay negative out there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They have found that most people don't transmit the virus to anyone, even within the same household. The spread seems to be mainly focused on super spreader individuals and events that led to a large number of infections. Most clusters burn themselves out without becoming widespread outbreaks. So its entirely possible that there isn't widespread community transmission and more isolated clusters

Have you got any links for this? I find it hard to believe as this was the case in the beginning of things - superspreaders infecting clusters of people and tracking down their contacts. It was only when actual community transmission was identified i.e. it was out there and spreading like wildfire that national lockdowns came into play. There's no way governments like the Tory one would have shut down for 2 months and counting for clusters.

• Advertisement

2) we need to wear masks (and preferably hazmat suits) to the supermarket (even if only 0.3% of supermarket staff got infected as confirmed this week)

3) we need to ignore the fact that despite all the paranoia for the last 2 months, a bit of social distancing sorted most of it all out.

Your post is in jest I realise, but the amount of fear in the community is not funny or healthy.
    I have neighbours who are terrified to let their children out. Three children ranging in age 4 to 13 not good.
    The fear that was cultivated will be hard to undue in many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some people on here really need to learn the difference between "caution" and "fear".

1. Are you in Spain or Italy? Everyone in Ireland could leave the house at any time.

2. Has every supermarket been counting that and sending in the figures to the government? I'm impressed. Good news.

3. A few scientists have a "hunch" that out of the many scenarios they are looking at, maybe just maybe the virus is burning itself out all on its own. Doesn't make it fact.

I've not seen one paranoid post on this thread since this all started up in January. What I've seen has been caution and trying to prevent rather than having things today and then dealing with the consequences tomorrow, both socially and economically. This is a very serious virus - it turned out that no it wasn't just a bad flu or it would just bump off a few pensioners, if allowed to roam wild it would have taken many many more young people. Yes some may have had unlying health problems. Yes some might have been - gasp - a bit overweight. Where do you draw the line? How many people to be sacrificed? The economy is still here, it will return, it's a pity not as much anger is directed at those who deprive the majority of the fruits of the economy all the time as there has been at scientists trying to save thousands and millions of lives. But..hey ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Makes some sense

How else could South Korea and China have contained it so welll, if it was as contagious as we believe

Also explains why they are going for eradication

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

fr336 wrote: »
    Have you got any links for this? I find it hard to believe as this was the case in the beginning of things - superspreaders infecting clusters of people and tracking down their contacts. It was only when actual community transmission was identified i.e. it was out there and spreading like wildfire that national lockdowns came into play. There's no way governments like the Tory one would have shut down for 2 months and counting for clusters.

This is one:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all

There is a meta study that went in preprint a couple days ago aggregating results from lots of track and trace case studies highlighting the same pattern. Cant't find it now for some reason.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    This is one:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all

There is a meta study that went in preprint a couple days ago aggregating results from lots of track and trace case studies highlighting the same pattern. Cant't find it now for some reason.

Thanks that's great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tony EH wrote: »
    Some people on here really need to learn the difference between "caution" and "fear".

You're right Tony! Too many people terrified instead of being just a bit cautious 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're right Tony! Too many people terrified instead of being just a bit cautious 😀

Only in your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I was out and about in the good weather and one thing is very clear - many people have given up on social distancing.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    This is one:

Yes that's the one I had read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I was out and about in the good weather and one thing is very clear - many people have given up on social distancing.

That's because they are so short sighted they think that the virus has just disappeared into thin air.
    There are definitely people that believe it's all over.
    There were some that believe it was never here in the first place SMH

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1,205 (101,716 total) new deaths so far today in the US as the president's re-election hopes continue to go up in flames

- much as the bible did shortly after Trump put his hand on it at his inauguration.

Steve F wrote: »
    That's because they are so short sighted they think that the virus has just disappeared into thin air.

When you look at the death rate v the population of the world.. After a while when people see no evidence of the illness they kinda stop listening. Not saying it's right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Compelling real life data. Not hypothetical

Steve F wrote: »

When you look at the death rate v the population of the world.. After a while when people see no evidence of the illness they kinda stop listening. Not saying it's right

1,205 (101,716 total) new deaths so far today in the US as the president's re-election hopes continue to go up in flames

- much as the bible did shortly after Trump put his hand on it at his inauguration.
    So posting a comment about the deaths of 1205 people is an excuse to make a political point. That's really pathetic tbh.

So deaths are still continuing to decline then from the peak in April which was around double that. good news surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Your post is in jest I realise, but the amount of fear in the community is not funny or healthy.
    I have neighbours who are terrified to let their children out. Three children ranging in age 4 to 13 not good.
    The fear that was cultivated will be hard to undue in many people.

You ever think there may be health problems within the family and they are high risk. Those complaining about people being cautious, even over cautious are as bad as the covidiots who are ignoring social distancing and think they can't get it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's funny is what it is.
    You are just a pain the ass at this stage. Trying anyway you can tell put down Kermit.
    Problem for you is that Kermit is too long around and to well respected for his rep to be tarnished by a poor poster like you.
    That's right you'll get no peace for your pathetic attacks on Kermit as long as I'm around and I'm going nowhere. I'm sure there's many others as well.

Christ lad but you are taking this site far to seriously, you need to clam down and reread the nonsense you have wrote. I feel slightly embarrassed for you tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So posting a comment about the deaths of 1205 people is an excuse to make a political point. That's really pathetic tbh.

It's funny is what it is.
    You are just a pain the ass at this stage. Trying anyway you can to put down Kermit.
    Problem for you is that Kermit is too long around and too well respected for his rep to be tarnished by a poor poster like you.
    That's right you'll get no peace for your pathetic attacks on Kermit as long as I'm around and I'm going nowhere. I'm sure there's many others as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement