Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So still dropping down from peak then which was around double that. good news surely?

It will probably end the day highest since May 20th. It's down from the peak mid spring but remains flat at around this 1,000 level daily (ex weekend lulls).

If it continues at this rate than somewhere between 27,000 and 31,000 would be added to the death toll within the next month.

They are relaxing measures in a way they shouldn't be and that inhibits getting these numbers down inevitably.

I don't hold any hope it will be going much lower than the current plateau. Only seasonal factors would prevent it going higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

But let's not forget that:

1) we need to remain afraid to leave the house

2) we need to wear masks (and preferably hazmat suits) to the supermarket (even if only 0.3% of supermarket staff got infected as confirmed this week)

3) we need to ignore the fact that despite all the paranoia for the last 2 months, a bit of social distancing sorted most of it all out.

Stay negative out there! :)

How about staying out of work due to covid-19?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's funny is what it is.
    You are just a pain the ass at this stage. Trying anyway you can to put down Kermit.
    Problem for you is that Kermit is too long around and too well respected for his rep to be tarnished by a poor poster like you.
    That's right you'll get no peace for your pathetic attacks on Kermit as long as I'm around and I'm going nowhere. I'm sure there's many others as well.

It doesn't appear less embarrassing for you the second time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It doesn't appear less embarrassing for you the second time either.

I'm not taking it too seriously but I've no time for pathetic attempts to belittle a respected poster. You are at it any chance you get.
    I'm gonna be on your back so long as you are on Kermit's.

If I knew you I'd be embarrassed that I did.

spookwoman wrote: »
    You ever think there may be health problems within the family and they are high risk. Those complaining about people being cautious, even over cautious are as bad as the covidiots who are ignoring social distancing and think they can't get it.

Know them for 17 years, good friends no health issues just paranoid with fear. September will be tough when schools reopen for them .

• Advertisement

I'm not taking it too seriously but I've no time for pathetic attempts to belittle a respected poster. You are at it any chance you get.
    I'm gonna be on your back so long as you are on Kermit's.

If I knew you I'd be embarrassed that I did.

You evidentially are taking it too serious as the above post confirms .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Get the country open and stop this madness

We missed the start, performed ok in the middle and now are looking like we will totally miss our chance at quick finish and upturn

Let's stop this extreme risk averse policy and save our future.

A joke at thus stage.

Really is no reason to not open up during these summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

It will probably end the day highest since May 20th. It's down from the peak mid spring but remains flat at around this 1,000 level daily (ex weekend lulls).

If it continues at this rate than somewhere between 27,000 and 31,000 would be added to the death toll within the next month.

They are relaxing measures in a way they shouldn't be and that inhibits getting these numbers down inevitably.

I don't hold any hope it will be going much lower than the current plateau. Only seasonal factors would prevent it going higher.

You keep mentioning seasonal factors. Maybe I am being stupid here but is there any scientific evidence of seasonal factors?

I mean the temperature in brazil today was 21 degrees and it is rampant through the country

While in australia coming into winter (15 degrees today) they reported 3 cases.

Or is it more one health official said it MIGHT be seasonal and we are choosing to pass off maybe's as fact ?

Your post is in jest I realise, but the amount of fear in the community is not funny or healthy.

I don't think anyone is 'afraid', no one I know anyway. I'd hope and expect no one else.

There is a difference between being afraid and alert.

And like it or not that alertness has saved lives in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gizmo23 wrote: »
    You keep mentioning seasonal factors. Maybe I am being stupid here but is there any scientific evidence of seasonal factors?

I mean the temperature in brazil today was 21 degrees and it is rampant through the country

Or is it more one health official said it MIGHT be seasonal and we are choosing to pass off maybe's as fact ?

Theres no evidence that its seasonal. All just theory and opinion, as I've said before nothing can be presented as fact when its opinion. But it doesn't stop some people presenting as fact, not saying yourself or Kermit are doing that by the way.

We'll have to wait and see if it does become seasonal who knows yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

1,205 (101,716 total) new deaths so far today in the US as the president's re-election hopes continue to go up in flames

- much as the bible did shortly after Trump put his hand on it at his inauguration.

So disrespectful to the lives lost.

Your Trump obsession has distorted your rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I wonder how many active cases we currently have - if 90% of our total cases have recovered, and the deaths are added to that number, the remainder is certainly fewer than 2,100, and probably even under 1,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The revelations regarding nursing homes is alarming and becoming a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Community transmission is different to transmission in the community!

Community transmission is when they cant trace back where you picked it up.

Transmission in the community (tbh I'm not sure it's even the correct term but seems quoted here lots) now seems to mean cases outside of hospitals/care homes/meat factory/ residential.

So if you picked it up from a family member its not community transmission but it is transmission in the community.

Ha ha it's even more confusing now after I've written it down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You evidentially are taking it too serious as the above post confirms .
    No, I don't take it too seriously, enjoy my time here until I come across crap posts like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There is some evidence that coronaviruses are seasonal in nature. For example

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.15.20103416v1
    The 8-year average peak activity of human coronaviruses occurred in the first week of January, when droplet and contact transmission was enabled by the low indoor RH of 20-30%. Previous studies have shown that an increase in RH to 50% has been associated with markedly reduced viability and transmission of influenza virus and animal coronaviruses. As disease incidence was reduced by 50% in early March, to 75% in early April, to greater than 99% at the end of April

Why would this one be any different?

Brazil being 21 degrees doesn't disprove the theory. Its really not hot and its currently autumn there.

I know its anecdotal but its currently mid to high 30s where I am. Ever since the temperature consistently went in the high 20s, the situation has improved massively. Not that it was that bad to begin with but hospitalisations and deaths are way down. We started reopening weeks ago and there hasn't been a resurgence or deterioration in the situation. Same for a lot (most? All?)of places that have reopened. So it could very well be seasonal. Or it could just be fading away like SARS 1 did.

The CDC are convinced that seasonal factors are at work in the same way as flu.

That's all we have to go on and the data from south America and South Africa.

Australia and New Zealand are more geographically isolated, have taken strict travel measures, so it might take more time there. There is not uniform risk across the southern hemisphere (in the same way there isn't across the NH).

It's not for certain but that's what the CDC says

I don't think anyone is 'afraid', no one I know anyway. I'd hope and expect no one else.

I know people afraid to leave the house because of what they hear on rte and virign media. Despite trying to reassure them, they've heard so much from the likes of Killeen that they're scared stiff and hang off every word from NPHET

What you think is relevant to you and no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Folks numbers will her higher with this good weather social distancing is finished groups of young ones at all beach locations today and on the trains
    It’s like nothing ever happened

• Advertisement

Folks numbers will her higher with this good weather social distancing is finished groups of young ones at all beach locations today and on the trains
    It’s like nothing ever happened

Similar posts to yours were appearing here weeks ago, yet numbers still dropping all the time.

I know people afraid to leave the house because of what they hear on rte and virign media. Despite trying to reassure them, they've heard so much from the likes of Killeen that they're scared stiff and hang off every word from NPHET

And they should, particularly older people.

They have to make people alert.

I think they put the message across as delicately as they can. To suggest they are scaring people is not the case in my view.

There is no other way to get the message to people to be alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Similar posts to yours were appearing here weeks ago, yet numbers still dropping all the time.

Was the weather 25 degrees weeks ago ???? Must have missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People have been posting outrage at seeing people out and about for a good 6 weeks now..hasn't had an effect. The virus doesn't seem to spread as easily outdoors. Hopefully over the coming months we begin to get better information about where its spreading and can act accordingly

Was the weather 25 degrees weeks ago ???? Must have missed that

The temperature is irrelevant absence of rain and people will be out doors, as I said posts such as yours have appeared here regularly for weeks. The numbers are falling, that's a fact.

And they should, particularly older people.

They have to make people alert.

I think they put the message across as delicately as they can. To suggest they are scaring people is not the case in my view.

There is no other way to get the message to people to be alert.

These aren't older people by any stretch. I'm not suggesting NPHET scare people.

The likes of Killeen most certainly do

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

It's funny is what it is.
    You are just a pain the ass at this stage. Trying anyway you can to put down Kermit.
    Problem for you is that Kermit is too long around and too well respected for his rep to be tarnished by a poor poster like you.
    That's right you'll get no peace for your pathetic attacks on Kermit as long as I'm around and I'm going nowhere. I'm sure there's many others as well.

Are you for real?
    He has been a laughing stock on this forum with his doom-mongering, only taken seriously by terror-stricken posters such as yourself.

The revelations regarding nursing homes is alarming and becoming a scandal.

It is but Dr Holohan doesn't want people pointing the finger of blame. HIQA sits on the NPHET committee yet no concern for the nursing homes mentioned during the early days of the virus. HSE putting elderly into homes straight from hospital without testing. Listen to T Daly of NHI address to the Covid committee, the nursing home sector was thrown to the mercy of the virus. This sector counts for 54% alone of all deaths maybe more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Wouldn't surprise me if Tony gets the boot, and the country skips almost all of the stages and opens up in a very short space of time. (one day)
    With other countries leading the way our exit from lockdown will be swift.

• Advertisement

Onesea wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if Tony gets the boot, and the country skips almost all of the stages and opens up in a very short space of time. (one day)
    With other countries leading the way our exit from lockdown will be swift.

Well I can't see any scenario where we open in a short space of time, they just wont risk it. I'd take phase 2 as it is, merge 3&4 and bring 5 forward 3 weeks. It's a reasonable middle ground I think, open mid july.

In terms of the CMO he should have gone after the cervical check controversy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement