Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Dual screens to Ultrawide, any regrets?

Options
  • 05-05-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Toying with the idea lately of getting myself an ultrawide screen. I'm just not 100% happy with how my desk layout is, my second monitor never used to be a problem but finding I have to angle it into me all the time and its making me sit as this weird tilted angle into my desk.

I'd like to put them onto a bracket or mount, but doubt my IKEA desk can handle the weight. Crazy coming from previous setups with wall mounted brackets, how much space on a desk a monitor stand can take up.

I'll be working from home for another few months by the looks of it, so the possibility of investing now sounds interesting. I'm mainly gaming on my PC, so have some concerns around how games will work and am I forfeiting my multi tasking and ability to have things on my second monitor, just for looks and it being a bit handy for work.
    • How are they for gaming? Concious I'd be adding loads of real estate to my games. Mostly play WoW, raiding at a high level and getting into Valorant. Larger screen to work with might be a disadvantage?
    • What specs are needed to run these nicely? Recent upgrade has me with a Ryzen 5 3600 and AMD RX5700
    • What configurations do they come in? I've been 1080p 144hz and happy out, had no interest in 4k gaming and still don't. High hz and FPS is what I am always after
    • How do they even work? I generally have stream chat open while I'm gaming(I stream) or might have a website or another streamer on while I'm gaming. Do I lose that with a single ultrawide? Can I configure say WoW windows in a portion and then other windows around it or something? Without impacting on performance or FPS?
    • Anyone made the change and regretted it? These monitors arn't cheap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some ultrawides are essentially two panels side by side and many have the ability to operate as two displays. That way you can have WoW on one half of your setup just like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Love my Ultrawide. Its so immersive that my CV1 doesn't get much use. I'm not into the high refresh side of things though so can't comment there, other than to say it quite hard on the GPU driving 3440x1440.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Love my Ultrawide. Its so immersive that my CV1 doesn't get much use. I'm not into the high refresh side of things though so can't comment there, other than to say it quite hard on the GPU driving 3440x1440.

And I presume the fact they are larger screens, you can't get them in 1080p ?

Like if I was speccing one (I have no knowledge of how these work or are configured) I'd be after a 34", 1080p with 144hz. Not sure about curved or straight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It can get pretty pricey when you go for high refresh rates. This seems to be well reviewed if you can find it in stock somewhere

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Ultragear-34GL750-B-34-Inch-Monitor/dp/B07YCPQNCY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TheDoc wrote: »
    And I presume the fact they are larger screens, you can't get them in 1080p ?

Like if I was speccing one (I have no knowledge of how these work or are configured) I'd be after a 34", 1080p with 144hz. Not sure about curved or straight

29" (IIRC) 2560x1080 screens are available - or at least they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭eusap

For work i found the ultrawide too wide to work with, two excels side by side etc.... I went for a 32" LG monitor and its perfect (for me) can open two full windows side by side and not constantly moving my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have three large monitors and a Macbook on stands with my Ikea desk and it works fine, they are quite tough!

Two of the monitors are for personal use and mounted on swing arms that covers over my work setup when needed. For work two monitors is needed as opposed to a wide screen as its easier to manage applications on multiple screens rather than a single wide screen. For home use I often have a game playing on one screen and netflix or a browser open on the other. A single wide screen does not work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I have had this 21:9 for the last 3+ years, previously I had three 120hz samsung 27" which I gamed on for years in eyefinity/surround setups.

21:9 is the sweet spot in my opinion, games look great when they support it-and most new games do natively; if not there are plenty of fixes available for older games, IIRC WOW is supported.

I run mine with a 1080ti & 9900k, no issues with most games-some of the newer AAA titles I might have to drop some settings to keep the FPS up, 3440 x 1440 is still less of a load on a GPU than 4K.

Work-wise, its great for two spreadsheets/documents/browsers open side by side, also good for CAD-the curve is hardly noticeable and no damn bezel's as well.

If you want a dual setup for streaming, some of LG's 21:9's support screen mode, you can use a second input from a separate laptop/PC if required-and up to 4 way screen split as well. My Asus model does not-maybe the newer ones/other brands do.

Re. monitor arms, I picked up a Humanscale monitor arm from ebay that was designed to support dual monitors. Its a substantial & well made arm, and even at that the spring adjustment is on the limit supporting my monitor. I would suggest making sure you check the weight limit of the arm you pick, ultrawide's are substantial lumps of kit.

If you think the desktop is a bit on the light side ,you could always reinforce it with a piece of 18mm plywood on the underside and drill & bolt/clamp the arm to same.

I looked at getting a 32:9, but its still early days and I spent enough time being the guinea pig for new resolutions over the years-the amount of time I wasted trying to get games to run properly configured with a usable FOV & menu's in eyefinity/surround with two 7970's in Xfire, 2 98ti's etc. ...:eek:

I would not go back for my main rig, though I could struggle on with a 38" 21:9 144hz when the show up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Contemplated a monitor arm or stands but it's an IKEA linnmon and reading online they dont seem to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the arms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

TheDoc wrote: »
    Contemplated a monitor arm or stands but it's an IKEA linnmon and reading online they dont seem to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the arms

I have the same desk, my dual monitor arm clamp is supported by 2 pieces of plywood, top and bottom.

No problem 6 months in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement