Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has actually saved money during the lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saving about £200 a month alone on tube fares.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Saving about £200 a month alone on tube fares.
    Fook me that's a lot for the tube.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm spending all my money on stupid online purchases. Piñatas, Blankets, fancy looking towels. I don't need any

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Biggest saving for me is I typically spend 300 a month on diesel. I think at the current rate through august anyways that I can go 5-6 weeks before filling up again. Also 100 for the gym and 5 a side fees and instead of buying a 3 euro coffee everyday I got one of those pod machines fit really cheap and going forward I can get a decent enough cup for roughly 50 cent a day. So that will be a definite long term saving.

I also notice I have no impulse purchases, so I’m lucky so far. Hopefully it continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We are completely exhausted trying to both work from home with two kids but the savings do help cushion it. All approx but
    Creche 1600 a month
    VHI 100 a month
    Petrol between us 200 a month
    Misc small stuff like kids activities/eating out 200 or so

We are spending a bit more in other areas. -Shopping is up a good 50-70 a week both due to growth spurts and everyone eating at home (no creche or work)
    -we’ve spent a fair bit on work set up like desk light, keyboard wrist rest, mouse, clamp for holding phone for video lessons etc
    -we’ve also spent a good bit on kids stuff (art supplies, garden toys, a small climbing frame etc) so there’s variety stuck in the house

By the end of the summer we will have a nice fund which we hope will go towards upgrading the house (bathrooms need doing, need a patio for garden). Both would be things we simply wouldn’t have afforded in the short term. We have already been replenishing savings religiously the last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I saved money due to good/bad timing depending on how you view it. I work contract work and finished a very long job the week before the lockdown started. I had arranged not to start my next job for six weeks so I could take some time off to relax so had been budgeting with that in mind for quite a while. Loads of small trips planned over those few weeks that of course didn't happen. Lots of treats I was planning like hairdresser etc that didn't happen. Ordered a few things online but nothing more than what I'd normally order really.

So while I had pretty much all the same bills as normal and no additional money coming in for those six weeks, I'd already budgeted for them. The extra money for the hairdresser etc is still sitting there so it will be spent once that's possible again.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

To answer the OP’s question, no there will not be a pent-up demand post-crisis. Even if people think they are doing well now, inflation, taxes and pay-cuts are coming down the line.

It’s important to remember that your spending is another person’s income. So you may be saving on childcare, night outs etc. but you will have to subside these newly unemployed childcare workers, restaurant managers etc. though tax increases. These unemployed people may no longer buy products from your own business, or the businesses on which your company gains revenue from.

Overall I get a weird eerie feeling on the state of the economy at the moment. And it’s not just because of the government paying people to sit at home, it’s also because too much of the remaining workforce is now made up of the work-from-home bull**** jobs guys - the Principal Communications Internal Application Strategist. These jobs are parasitic on those who actually produce goods and sell products and now they have no host.

If the economy is reliant on a bunch of managers passing on emails to each other, the inevitable consequence is stagflation - no productivity, stagnant wages & rising prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I know it's the opposite to what the OP is posting but a little reality for alot of people. Nice of the banks, but they are not in the business of loosing money.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-holders-warned-payment-breaks-to-prove-costly-39183118.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just looked that up there - around €140 a month for 8 dinners you have to cook yourself? I'd say with a bit of planning you could cut that down a good bit (unless I'm missing something)

It’s very obviously an indulgence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

HamSarris wrote: »
    To answer the OP’s question, no there will not be a pent-up demand post-crisis. Even if people think they are doing well now, inflation, taxes and pay-cuts are coming down the line.

It’s important to remember that your spending is another person’s income. So you may be saving on childcare, night outs etc. but you will have to subside these newly unemployed childcare workers, restaurant managers etc. though tax increases. These unemployed people may no longer buy products from your own business, or the businesses on which your company gains revenue from.

Overall I get a weird eerie feeling on the state of the economy at the moment. And it’s not just because of the government paying people to sit at home, it’s also because too much of the remaining workforce is now made up of the work-from-home bull**** jobs guys - the Principal Communications Internal Application Strategist. These jobs are parasitic on those who actually produce goods and sell products and now they have no host.

If the economy is reliant on a bunch of managers passing on emails to each other, the inevitable consequence is stagflation - no productivity, stagnant wages & rising prices.

Dont forget the massive tax bill alot of people are gonna have to pay back at the end of the year.
    I'm talking about the wage subsidy one were no one is getting taxed (or at least im not and many people I know)
    Then of course when the budget rolls around were all gonna be getting a nice tax rise (expected).
    Gonna be a difficult few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know it's the opposite to what the OP is posting but a little reality for alot of people. Nice of the banks, but they are not in the business of loosing money.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-holders-warned-payment-breaks-to-prove-costly-39183118.html

Did anyone really think this would not be the case? You don’t go into Aldi and not pay for your groceries until you feel like it.
    You’re buying cash off the bank it’s not a lot different.
    There has been a lot of delusion going on re this lockdown. Simon Harris, “St” Tony or Mr Varadkar won’t be around when you’re getting letters from the bank. You’ll be on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Overall, we are saving money.

Single-income family with my Husband working (now working from home since mid-March) and I am a SAHM.

So, spending more on Groceries as now all 4 of us are at home for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week plus snacks etc. Though Tesco's 80 Item limit for Delivery is helping to keep it in check.

Spending more on Gas and ESB as again all of us at home all of the time.

Saving on Diesel, Kids Activities, Kids Camps, Nights out, Concerts, Hairdresser, Dry Cleaner, etc

Will get refunds or partial on my Husband's Taxsaver Ticket, Kids' School Bus Fares, VHI, Concerts x2, Car Insurance etc

We had only paid a small Deposit for our Accommodation for our Summer Holiday so still have the balance.

I am worried about what is coming down the road economically and financially though so not going to splurge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

JDD wrote: »
    no forking out €150 to get my hair coloured,

:eek:

Can't imagine what your wife spends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Definitely. I'm not commuting, going to the pub, doing anything etc. I've paused Sky Sports.

I'm spending feck all, so I'm now adding 2K a month towards a property deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

road_high wrote: »
    Did anyone really think this would not be the case? You don’t go into Aldi and not pay for your groceries until you feel like it.
    There has been a lot of delusion going on re this lockdown. Simon Harris, “St” Tony or Mr Varadkar won’t be around when you’re getting letters from the bank. You’ll be on your own.

I've followed your posts on various threads that I really don't want to get involved with, but I agree with you. We are heading for one almighty ****storm over the next 6 months and beyond. So many economic/employment variables have no road map whatsoever.

If you are saving money now, stick it under the mattress. You will need it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Overall, we are saving money.

Single-income family with my Husband working (now working from home since mid-March) and I am a SAHM.

So, spending more on Groceries as now all 4 of us are at home for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week plus snacks etc. Though Tesco's 80 Item limit for Delivery is helping to keep it in check.

Spending more on Gas and ESB as again all of us at home all of the time.

Saving on Diesel, Kids Activities, Kids Camps, Nights out, Concerts, Hairdresser, Dry Cleaner, etc

Will get refunds or partial on my Husband's Taxsaver Ticket, Kids' School Bus Fares, VHI, Concerts x2, Car Insurance etc

We had only paid a small Deposit for our Accommodation for our Summer Holiday so still have the balance.

I am worried about what is coming down the road economically and financially though so not going to splurge.

I thought they arent giving refunds on tax saver tickets. Just extending it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fook me that's a lot for the tube.

London's not cheap. 25 minute journey each way as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I didn't and won't have to avail of it but several of my friends had no choice. I felt sorry for one friend when he described it as a great help from the bank. I didn't point out the obvious to him. His job is gone because of the crisis but he is hoping to find something after the lockdown lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I thought they arent giving refunds on tax saver tickets. Just extending it.

Well, either way it's money back in our bank account.

I didn't and won't have to avail of it but several of my friends had no choice. I felt sorry for one friend when he described it as a great help from the bank. I didn't point out the obvious to him. His job is gone because of the crisis but he is hoping to find something after the lockdown lifts.

Poor guy, feel awful for these people. What industry/role was he in? Scary

• Advertisement

Poor guy, feel awful for these people. What industry/role was he in? Scary

Event management.

Event management.

Oh god, couldn’t be in a worse thing really. Probably good money before this hit and no downturn in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Saving a fortune. At least 4x mortgage so just putting into savings. Life quality has also gone up. I'm drinking at home rather than the pub, found a couple of hobbies. Work life balance has not been great but i'm saving on commute so not too bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

JDD wrote: »
    Look, I get what you're saying. But the people who are saving money at the moment are not people getting the COVID 19 payment or the furlough payments, its the people that are in secure long term positions.

I'm not saying people shouldn't pay off their credit cards. That makes sense no matter what the economic situation. On a macro-economic level though it will not be good for our economy, as a whole, if people are hanging on to their savings in fear of what might happen over the next year. Now, again, I totally understand if you work in a job that looks like it's going to pack up in the next 6 months. If that's the case, save away. And if you're saving for a house deposit, again, you'll be spending it on a deposit in the next 1-5 years (hopefully) so that is good for the economy.

I work in public service job that is deemed essential - though I can work from home. My husband works in an industry that has (extremely luckily) done very well out of this pandemic. Neither of us are staring down the barrel of a gun workwise, nor do we have expensive personal loans that we should be paying off. We have savings for a rainy day. We also have a mortgage, and pension plans that we could pay into. While that might save us money in the long run, on a macro-economic level if everyone decided to do this it would be disastrous. The unpatriotic comment was a little tongue-in-cheek, apologies if it came across as offensive.

The way I see it, the money I have saved and will save over the next four months is money that would otherwise have been spent keeping bookshops open and cafes open and pubs open and shops open. So if I spend this money between September and Christmas, I am no better and no worse off - yet the economy is immeasurably better off.

There is obviously people out there who live beyond their means and hike up their debts unnecessarily. I believe the vast majority who have been laid off or furloughed are in the lower paid industries - retail staff, pub staff, café staff etc. While it is very well and good telling them to save 6 months worth of wages, for most of them it is incredibly difficult given the cost of rent and living in Ireland. Yes, if you are in a situation now where you are getting the COVID 19 payment and you can save some of it, absolutely do so. And if you're new found frugality means that when you eventually go back to work you can save some more, great. I'm not talking down the potential of severe recession - we all lived through 2007 and are too smart for that - I'm saying that if you are in a position to spend your savings, then don't feel guilty for doing it - you'll be keeping people in a job.

I agree 100 percent with every single thing you've said.

I intend to go back living exactly the way I was before. I work hard to have a comfortable lifestyle and if I need to switch jobs, then I'll just have to do that.

I've worked hard enough (and like you survived the last recession) and people are very shortsighted in relation to this.

The only way that the Economy can return is that people drive consumer confidence.

I had a guy in before to quote for work at home complaining that people were booking Polish workers and not supporting Irish- yet he'd shown up in a UK registered van.

There are many people in your position and it's people with this attitude and outlook that will lift the Country out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Myself and my wife are luckily working from home and still receiving full pay. We’re saving quite a bit through no pubs open etc. However we are spending more on paint for around the house, home gym equipment, wine and beer that we usually wouldn’t drink at home. Commuting costs aren’t high anyway so relatively small savings there. A few restaurants locally have started doing take away so we’ve been getting a bit more food from the likes of those in the past couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still working full-time (from home) so things like my usual 350+ monthly diesel bill are non-existent this month, not buying takeaways or lunches so saving there - but the monthly direct debits (rent, loan, bills etc) haven't changed.

Grocery spend is significantly increased but overall I'm ahead. But all it'll really do is allow me to start thinking of things I've been putting off (need one of my eyes looked at which I was quoted as €2k plus) or are due (like the car needing a service and 2 new tyres).

In the end I'll probably be much the same but with a few "quality of life improvements" - until the real cuts start coming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My outgoings have reduced by half or even two thirds each month in the two months since it all started. No daily commuting, takeaway coffees every morning, lunches out every day, evening meals out at least twice a week, no new clothes, no family events, 2 city breaks cancelled and most significantly, no nights out at weekend which could add up to €150 alone depending on the night/grub/clubs/taxis home etc. Groceries bill has gone up obviously now that it's 21 meals a week at home although starting to use Just Eats once a week for a change since last week.

I've not really done any impulse online shopping although will do a big shop in Woodies for garden plants/equipment etc when they open May 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yep, also very fortunate here so far. Both still employed, relatively securely. Herself had a bit of a fright last week, big company meeting where the worst was feared but it wasn’t so bad - just no pay rises or bonuses for the foreseeable!

But like the OP, we’re saving a fortune on day to day cost of living. I’d say childcare and car running costs are the 2 biggest hitters. Virtually nothing spent on those for nearly 2 months now. I certainly have noticed it. I’ve more money in the account and not much interest in frivolous spending at the moment tbh. No point buying those fancy new runners. Nowhere to go in them :)

I hope when things get back to semi normality that people get back out and spend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not much more - don't know what that says about me! I had discounted travel so not a whole lot there and we don't drive so no diesel/petrol cost changes.
    We went out for evening meals maybe once a week but typically did early birds and I rarely went to the pub. So a little bit saved, even accounting for the grocery bill but not much more.

Anyone else finding not a huge amount of change? At least we're both currently working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

€3,800 exactly saved since 24th of March.

Was lucky enough to have had a good Cheltenham just as this all began, used the winnings to pay off all my bills hoping to start to begin putting a few quid away towards a deposit for a house. Didn't realize the extent of all this happening then.

Saving money on stuff like Clothes, drink, and going out in general. I do seem to be spending more money on food though. Washer dryer is broken plus pipes in my apartment have become noisy in the past few weeks so need to get that sorted as soon as stuff as lifted.

Also gambling transactions don't look too good on bank statements when applying for a mortgage so I put €500 on Trump to win the election just as this all broke so I would have a pot built up for Cheltenham next year and wouldn't have transactions showing on my account later on down the line. Doesn't look the most inspired decision right now.

Advertisement