Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a tree surgeon

Options
  • 05-05-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭

I have one sycamore that has gotten so tall that it blocks out the light for the rest of the garden so was thinking of getting it cut. I'd normally do any garden work myself but I also know my limitations and this seems out of my league especially with a poly tunnel nearby. I've looked online but can't really find any rough price guide. I know there's a lot of factors to take into account but are we talking thousands or a few hundred for one tree? Based in Cork if that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am on the same job, and there are so many variables that its impossible to guess. It depends on how much space they have around, how much vulnerable stuff in the vicinity - fences, buildings etc, how they are able to remove the debris - do they have to take small amounts down the side of a house, or even through the house, how many stages of removal it will take, all manner of things. In very very broad terms if they are removing say a number of leylandii from an accessible hedge you might be talking a few hundred each, a more challenging job could be between one or two thousand.

There are tree surgeons, who will have insurance, experience and proper kit and equipment, and there are fellas with a chainsaw. Not all 'tree surgeons' are equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my experience and location (outer GDA), 100 per tree for a few trees as long as there isn't anything hard (like it's massive or dangerous).

But it'll be extra for the fact that there's only one tree.

I found wide variation in quotes, so be prepared to shop around or suggest a budget (within reason).

Be clear about what you want done regarding disposal of waste, e.g. logging, chipping, or just make it all disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

looksee wrote: »
    There are tree surgeons, who will have insurance, experience and proper kit and equipment, and there are fellas with a chainsaw. Not all 'tree surgeons' are equal.
    Indeed. I'm in the same boat in as much as I need a silver birch in my back garden thinned out a bit and reduced in height, but want it done properly and for it to still look like a tree afterwards. Going by some of the work I've seen around the place, "tree butcher" would be a more appropriate term.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alun wrote: »
    Indeed. I'm in the same boat in as much as I need a silver birch in my back garden thinned out a bit and reduced in height, but want it done properly and for it to still look like a tree afterwards. Going by some of the work I've seen around the place, "tree butcher" would be a more appropriate term.

Some trees just won't take a hair cut, the owners are gently advised, but they insist anyway and it looks crap.

Alun wrote: »

Yes, the standard of tree surgery in Ireland is dreadful. Some of the larger contractors, like the ones Dublin City Council employ are good, but any who advertise/recommend "topping" are to be avoided at all costs.
    Sorry I cant recommend any myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Dermot Casey is a pretty large operator, I would start with them if you don't get any direct referrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Dermot Casey is a pretty large operator, I would start with them if you don't get any direct referrals.

These lads seem on the ball. You can upload a picture to help with getting a quote. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Give David Law a shout. Excellent qualified tree surgeon.

Advertisement