Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Problem

Options
  • 05-05-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I travelled back to my dad's house before the lockdown. I took some annual leave and then the office was shut for a spell. Then the office te-opened. I suggested that I would work from home and employer didn't facilitate this.

I am worried about contracting covid as I share a house in the city with 6 others. Office is a open plan layout.

I decided to contact my doctor and he gave me a certificate stating stress.

Work asked me to take a call from occupational health.

I explained to them about feeling anxious and worried.

I don't think they emptitised with my predicament.

If they require me to return to work -ism a medical certificate be enough.

I don't want to go back to the city until I feel it is safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A medical certificate explains your absence but does not excuse you from work. You will have to check your contract/employee handbook to see your employers policy on sick leave.

Surely if your workplace is an essential service, they would have precautions in place? Businesses will start opening soon, what are you going to do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

When the rates of people acquiring the virus fall - I will go back.

I will go back to my GP and discuss the situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tv3tg4 wrote: »

You may not have a job to go back to tbh

Have you a particular condition that makes you more at risk?

tv3tg4 wrote: »

They are falling. The roadmap for opening businesses is in motion.

Be aware, people sometimes think that a medical cert is a shield against dismissal. Fear of getting sick is not the same as being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Are you willing to take unpaid leave if your employer agrees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Dav010 wrote: »
    They are falling. The roadmap for opening businesses is in motion.

Be aware, people sometimes think that a medical cert is a shield against dismissal. Fear of getting sick is not the same as being sick.
    If he has anxiety this is a mental illness no different than a physical one. Also as we are in the mist of a pandemic and we are faced with the fear that we may not return home after work unscathed, its pretty understandable. Many peoples mental health has been seriously affected due to this pandemic and its not a case of it suits my boss for me to go back now despite not being able to go 2km from my home yesterday. I think a time for confidence building and re adjustment is necessary.

If he has anxiety this is a mental illness no different than a physical one. Also as we are in the mist of a pandemic and we are faced with the fear that we may not return home after work unscathed, its pretty understandable. Many peoples mental health has been seriously affected due to this pandemic and its not a case of it suits my boss for me to go back now despite not being able to go 2km from my home yesterday. I think a time for confidence building and re adjustment is necessary.

I don’t think any of us are qualified to question the ops diagnosis. That is a matter between the op and GP. But refusing to go back to work in case you catch Covid at a time when businesses are opening may have ramifications for the op.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I don’t think any of us are qualified to question the ops diagnosis. That is a matter between the op and GP. But refusing to go back to work in case you catch Covid at a time when businesses are opening may have ramifications for the op.
    . I'm sure the OP's GP wont need to be go into detail on his sick cert. The OP has anxiety that is a limiting condition preventing him from being fit to work and that is all his employer needs to know.

I don't think that as restrictions are lifted it will be in any way a smooth ride back to where we left off. There will be many issues and collateral damage. Be prepared. Employers have a responsibility to safe guard their employees if and when they return to work. They are not going to get away with bully tactics and threats of having no job you can be sure of that if people have any sense. They may get away with it with foreign workers who have no choice but we have unions here and they are going to be busy pretty quicky.

I don't think that as restrictions are lifted it will be in any way a smooth ride back to where we left off. There will be many issues and collateral damage. Be prepared. Employers have a responsibility to safe guard their employees if and when they return to work. They are not going to get away with bully tactics and threats of having no job you can be sure of that if people have any sense. They may get away with it with foreign workers who have no choice but we have unions here and they are going to be busy pretty quicky.

Equally so, if employers comply with HSA guidelines, refusal to work will have obvious implications. Covid is not going to disappear for a long time, but businesses will need to open and will have to put protective measures in place. If they do, then employees will be expected to return to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If he has anxiety this is a mental illness no different than a physical one.

Agreed.

But if you are not healthy enough to work, then expect to be fired. Doesn't matter what the illness is, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Are you saying the unions can help in the job search, maybe give the CV a once over?

Because they cannot stop someone getting dismissed on medical grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Unions can ask questions and have clout to ensure due process is followed. They also provide access to help and expertise that employees often feel without. Unions have a bad rep, but vast majority of work they do is very beneficial to employers and employees.

Not sure refusal to turn up to work automatically means dismissal. Definitely the employee will not be paid.

This is going to be a common problem going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

. I'm sure the OP's GP wont need to be go into detail on his sick cert. The OP has anxiety that is a limiting condition preventing him from being fit to work and that is all his employer needs to know.

The employer needs to know when the op will return. A cert won't stop the op being replaced.

Advertisement