Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the gym?

Options
  • 05-05-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭

I got a bench and some weights so I'm happy enough. Getting the odd jog in now and then as well. What are you guys doing to stay fit? Also I've heard some gyms are still charging their customers while they're closed. Anyone else had this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Guys? How dare you presume my gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I got a bench and some weights so I'm happy enough. Getting the odd jog in now and then as well. What are you guys doing to stay fit? Also I've heard some gyms are still charging their customers while they're closed. Anyone else had this?

Callisthenics at home/back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I got a door frame pull up bar when all this started and started going jogging and going for plenty of walks. Also went to one of my friends zoom yoga classes this morning for the first time, it's way more strenuous than I thought it would be. A lot of people might not go back to gyms, including myself, you can be perfectly fit without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I was really missing the gym but not so much anymore. I managed to order some weights before things closed and also have mini bands. Have been doing well with my home workouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I see swimming pools can re-open 2 weeks before gyms (and rightly so, swimming pools are much lower risk as per multiple reports).

What about gyms that have swimming pools, will they reopen for 2 weeks on a swimming pool only basis?

(Can't wait to jump back in a pool).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I paid for the year and apparently will get extended months on contract to cover the closed months. So long as they don’t go bust I’m fine with that.
    Doing online classes from home but not a patch on the routine and variety of actually going into the gym with a range of good instructors. Definitely was fitter pre lockdown if I’m honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Actually when the gyms do re-open, will they have many restrictions? Like only a certain amount of people allowed in at a time while maintaining social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Going walking every day and have two kettlebells but am losing strength very quickly. The routine of the gym was pretty important to keep me motivated. I used to go there directly from work and then head home for the evening.

Being at home.. I can't get motivated enough. I also don't have the equipment I need for most exercises I am enthusiastic about doing. Starting to get flabby..

In short - I miss the gym A LOT :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Actually when the gyms do re-open, will they have many restrictions? Like only a certain amount of people allowed in at a time while maintaining social distancing?

I can't see how that can work. Many of the gyms in Dublin are pokey and overcrowded at the best of times, especially changing rooms. Did the roadmap mention when they're opening?

Yeah motivation can be an issue, although I find I'm training with more intensity now because I'm not as tired from working all day. I sometimes find myself going through the motions while in the gym.

• Advertisement

I can't see how that can work. Many of the gyms in Dublin are pokey and overcrowded at the best of times, especially changing rooms. Did the roadmap mention when they're opening?
    August as far as I know. They outlined the rules for social distancing in pubs but I don't think they mentioned anything about gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I got a door frame pull up bar when all this started and started going jogging and going for plenty of walks. Also went to one of my friends zoom yoga classes this morning for the first time, it's way more strenuous than I thought it would be. A lot of people might not go back to gyms, including myself, you can be perfectly fit without them.

Thing is though, you are unlikely or should I say most of us are unlikely to either have the space and finances at home to supply yourself with anything close to approaching the variety of equipment that you like to use in a gym. You CAN be perfectly fit just walking everyday, avoiding stress and adhering to a good diet but the gym has that great variety of things that you can work on, to support both your health AND overall fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What was your gym like before it closed? Mine had limited numbers allowed on the gym floor. Only 50% class capacity. Didnt impact me as I usually go off peak but others were turned away when the gym floor was busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

Won't be renewing my membership.

Mixing it up nicely at home between weights (the limited range I have) and body-weight exercising for strength training and getting outdoor every day for running in the fresh air which has me feeling 1 million dollars

I've gone past my bodybuilding phase though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Did the roadmap mention when they're opening?

20 July for swimming pools. 10 August for gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

2 words. Resistance bands. They are magic and you can do so many exercises with with them. I also have a Bulgarian bag. Pull up bar and tricep dip bar. Missing gym for variety but all above the above means I can do a full body workout

gp1990 wrote: »
    Won't be renewing my membership.

Mixing it up nicely at home between weights (the limited range I have) and body-weight exercising for strength training and getting outdoor every day for running in the fresh air which has me feeling 1 million dollars

I've gone past my bodybuilding phase though :o
    Ha me too. I'm less concerned with "gainz" these days and just doing it to stay fit and feel good, and a small home gym and some walking/jogging is just fine for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'm missing the gym quite a bit. I've an annual membership and they said that the months that they were closed will be added to the end of the annual period, which I am happy with.

I live at home with my parents and don't have the room for a serious workout.

I attempted to buy some equipment, but at the beginning of the restrictions I wasn't sure how long they would last and decided not to spend that amount of money. Now that I know when they will reopen, I wish i did buy some equipment.

I've been doing a body weight routine, but I feel like I'm just going through the motions trying to keep my body doing some movement without really feeling excited or motivated.

I've been doing more meditation, foam rolling and jogging outside, which I am quite happy with and definitely will be incorporating into my gym routine once they reopen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

Hi I have a little home workout set at home , looking to add to it nothing to expensive.

So I have a TRX set up
    Pullup bar
    And resistance bands

Is there anything I can add to it I'm thinking of getting a second hand exercise bike or a rowing machine what would be best out of the two

Thanks for your help thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

JTMan wrote: »
    I see swimming pools can re-open 2 weeks before gyms (and rightly so, swimming pools are much lower risk as per multiple reports).

What about gyms that have swimming pools, will they reopen for 2 weeks on a swimming pool only basis?

(Can't wait to jump back in a pool).

I was wondering same but really doubt they will open up without the gym opening too. Some members use pool way more others gym, can imagine a lot of complaints if they resume all memberships when gym unavailable and they probably wont be able to do swimming classes etc yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Not at all. I understand it's a hobby and passion for many and I respect that, but for me I'm content with walking and jogging, especially as I hope to move to a more scenic location in the country.

It looks like gym sessions will have to be booked in advance now. Lots of new rules with regards to hygiene too. Seems like a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

You mustn't miss it that much, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys? How dare you presume my gender.
    "Guys" is actually non-gendered.

On topic, yes I miss it a little but not as much as I miss the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

My gym and swimming pool is opening tomorrow. Lots and lots of restrictions but very willing to put up with them to get back into the pool. They have gone to a huge amount of effort to operate within the guidelines. I don't know how long it'll be sustainable for in terms of supporting the business.

Have to call and book everything in advance. There are 1 hour slots. The pool is lane swimming all day now and early mornings are gone (now it's open from 8). Will be set out with 6 lanes. 2 per lane max. Changing facilities available for pool users, not for gym users. In through a dry room changing area, then bring your stuff to the poolside, exit through a separate wet room changing area. No sign of classes back yet in the gym. I'm sure that will be a nightmare to operate within guidelines.

Have an hour booked in the pool tomorrow. Can't wait! Although after no swimming for nearly four months I probably won't last long :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Train in MMA gym, I have zero motivation to do cardio or weight training on my own back so to have structured classes or training partners. Done nothing since march, look so forward to tomorrow, getting back to rolling, wrestling and sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Booked in for a 90m gym session tomorrow, like first day at school.

Having to book a session in advance is putting me off. It's going to be very inconvenient when I get back to working full time. I think I will stick with my home gym for another while.

Advertisement