Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilltex or Chevtex

Options
  • 05-05-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Which ewe would you prefer to run on a lowland farm, the Hilltex or the Cheviot x texel

I've been told the Hilltex is a quieter more easier managed ewe, without a dog, but interested in people's opinion's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Which ewe would you prefer to run on a lowland farm, the Hilltex or the Cheviot x texel

I've been told the Hilltex is a quieter more easier managed without a dog but interested in people opinion's.

Idk how someone would manage without a dog tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭joe35

We had no dog here for a good couple of years. Had 500 ewes at the time. 7 in children in the house, 5 boys and always a few friends around. He wouldn't shout as much at s dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Hilltex all day cheviots maddwst sheep I'd ever about the place trying till shift them is a disaster they would run away from there young lambs even would just have till give up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any hilltex I had here were nice quiet sheep, never had one jump a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Thanks gents. You’s confirmed what I was thinking. My Cheviot cross Lleyn are pretty wild for aged ewes. My Hilltex are also calm ewes, and easy to work with. Appreciate the feedback. Hilltex it is then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Lambman wrote: »
    Hilltex all day cheviots maddwst sheep I'd ever about the place trying till shift them is a disaster they would run away from there young lambs even would just have till give up in the end.
    Couldn’t agree more. I’ve yet to find a redeeming trait in the cheviot. Big mad conts, terrible mothers will only have one lamb and struggle to rear it. Complete waste of time and yet they make crazy money around the east/south east. Baffles me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve yet to find a redeeming trait in the cheviot. Big mad conts, terrible mothers will only have one lamb and struggle to rear it. Complete waste of time and yet they make crazy money around the east/south east. Baffles me!!!

Borris ewes any good? seem to be a thing down that side too

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

got to disagree wild yes mad no find them great mothers
    perhaps because I use some ncc both park and lairg type as well as Wicklow just about finished 200 hardly no bother and nothing that could be described as a difficult lambing.

no doubt whatsoever that some are big rangey plain donkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

serfspup wrote: »
    got to disagree wild yes mad no find them great mothers
    perhaps because I use some ncc both park and lairg type as well as Wicklow just about finished 200 hardly no bother and nothing that could be described as a difficult lambing.

no doubt whatsoever that some are big rangey plain donkeys
    Glad they work for you. It’s the Wicklow Cheviot that I would have experienced using which will never blacken my door ever again. They have a very small gene pool due to their breed society having very few members and being a closed book. What was you’re lambing % like

Advertisement