Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Deposit?

Options
  • 05-05-2020 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering I am currently renting a house with others in Dublin. I'm a primary teacher, when the lockdown came in on the 12th of March I went back home to Mayo. I have not been in the house since but others are still there. Rent was usually due on the 10th of every month and I have now paid for the last 2 months since I moved back home. Now the landlord notified me today that I don't have have to pay anymore rent and the deposit I paid when I moved in can be used for the final months rent 10th May to 10th June. I have not rented much before but is this how this work regarding moving out/Deposit? I'm after paying for the past 2 months I have not been there and now I have to pay more. I know I had to pay for April and May as the announcement was only made last Friday that schools are not going back at all this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Not a lawyer. There should be something in your contract about a notice period. If you haven't given enough notice you're leaving, you owe for next month. Using your deposit for that is fairly normal. Do check.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I'm after paying for the past 2 months I have not been there and now I have to pay more. I know I had to pay for April and May as the announcement was only made last Friday that schools are not going back at all this year.

If you dont give sufficient notice the landlord is obviously going to expect rent. It is not the landlords problem that you haven't lived there for the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

mikhail wrote: »
    Not a lawyer. There should be something in your contract about a notice period. If you haven't given enough notice you're leaving, you owe for next month. Using your deposit for that is fairly normal. Do check.

There was no contract. I only moved in in January as someone else moved out and the people in the house were looking for someone to rent the room. Sorry it was actually the letting agent and not the landlord that notified me as the landlord is not living around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You might get better answers in Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I tried to post it there but it wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Failing that, citizens' information may be able to tell you what the default situation is if you don't have a contract.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Agreed

Mod - Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The statutory notice period you are required to give is 28 days, even though you have not been in the house, you are still liable for rent up to end of notice period.

Yes, deposit can be used for rent owed at the end of the tenancy, so either you pay rent for the month of your notice period and then the LL hands you back your deposit, or, with the LLs agreement, you can use your deposit for last month’s rent.

Incidentally, there is no requirement for a written contract, the notice period is statutory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Did you ever give your notice to the landlord that you were officially moving out of the house? I.e. To end your tenancy not just stay down the country because of Covid-19.
    If not you haven't a leg to stand on really.

Advertisement