Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's an acceptable download speed??

• 05-05-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just had the latest result of a complaint I made to three about my download broadband speed, they stated that my average download speed of 1mbps was adequate enough for general browsing.
    For starters my download speed is nowhere near 1 mbps, the last few speed tests have been 0.34, 0.39, 0.28.
    What can I do? Is there a minimum download speed I can't find it on the website, and the operator I spoke to could not find it either. I told them I wasn't happy with the outcome and the supervisor is contacting me tomorrow.
    I was going to ring comreg in morning to see if they have any guidelines that could help.
    It's an obsolute pain in the ass, kids can't do homework, browse, wife can't work from home, etc, it's useless

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sorry comreg wont care

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

sorry comreg wont care

So who is the broadband regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aaargh123

What does your contract say it will provide? (Bearing in mind they all say "up to..")

And 1Mbps is crap. Not much better than dial-up.

I can manage with 10Mbps, but with several of us online at same time, it becomes unstable.

We're virginmedia 'up to 240 Mbps'. Have *never* got that - 120Mbps max when direct connection to ethernet. Usually it's 10-15 Mbps on wifi.

There are some guidelines for this - probably on Comreg - basically what % of max is acceptable for average daily use

What does your contract say it will provide? (Bearing in mind they all say "up to..")

And 1Mbps is crap. Not much better than dial-up.

I can manage with 10Mbps, but with several of us online at same time, it becomes unstable.

We're virginmedia 'up to 240 Mbps'. Have *never* got that - 120Mbps max when direct connection to ethernet. Usually it's 10-15 Mbps on wifi.

There are some guidelines for this - probably on Comreg - basically what % of max is acceptable for average daily use

fennor72 wrote: »
    So who is the broadband regulator

there isnt one, fought and fought many years ago finally got connected but my download is 3mb and upload .2mb fibre stopped a few hundred yards away, cant see imagines wireless mast.

with 2 working from home i've rigged a second 4g link wich isnt quick either into the network so one one works on that and one works on the landline.

as far as i know there is no speed broadband providers have to guarantee, just had a quick look at comreg no mention of speeds anywhere

https://www.comreg.ie/ga/eolas-tomhaltora/idirlion/service-issues/
    Broadband Speeds

The advertised broadband speed is the maximum attainable speed. It may not be guaranteed that you will receive that speed, please always refer to the terms and conditions of your contract where this should be outlined.

If you are experiencing poor broadband speeds you can lodge a complaint with your service provider and allow the service provider 10 working days to respond. ComReg can then intervene after this period to find out if anything can be done to improve the service for you.

A number of factors often determine the quality of a broadband service a consumer will receive including:

• The number of devices connected to the broadband service (for example laptop/ computer/mobile phones/iPads/TV etc);
    • Congestion on the line (particularly at busy hour periods);
    • The distance from the exchange;
    • The processing speed of the consumer’s computer and router or modem;
    • The speed of the connection between the computer and modem or router;
    • Whether the connection is wired or wireless as this will impact speed even if the other users are not using the Wi-Fi.

i wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to do anything

• Advertisement

Aaargh123 wrote:

I can't find it in the contract, but I complained in January about the same thing and was told my speed was above the acceptable limit of 1.8 mbps now its 1 mb so they are clearly changing the requirements.
    I tried everything, I spent a lot of time, and money last summer, finding the best signal and put up an external antenna which worked OK for about 4 months then the signal kept getting weaker and disconnecting. So I've disconnected that system and have positioned the router where we can get a signal. What even more frustrating is I can get a great signal outside on rare occasions but it never last for more than a couple of minutes

with 2 working from home i've rigged a second 4g link wich isnt quick either into the network so one one works on that and one works on the landline.

as far as i know there is no speed broadband providers have to guarantee, just had a quick look at comreg no mention of speeds anywhere

What we had to do is get a second broadband package from eir just for my wife to work from home

Ah - are you on mobile wifi already? Apologies if I missed that.

I don't know if Sky would be any better? I *think* they use dishes.

Either way, 1Mbps is crap. Sorry if ComReg think it isn't. I've heard that squeaky wheel tweeting about shoddy service can yield results. Hsbevyiu tried that yet?

Aaargh123 wrote:
    Ah - are you on mobile wifi already? Apologies if I missed that.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, our area is clearly a bit of a blackspot, for mobile and broadband coverage. The only other provider advertising in the area is imagine and I've heard from neighbours that they have been told they can't get adequate coverage from them.
    Eir is poor but good enough to do general browsing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Awful predicament but unfortunately you can't expect a broadband company to supply you with a service at a significant financial loss.

The National Broadband Plan should be in place already but of course the government made a balls of it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What are you hoping for? If you want to cancel the contract complain a few more times and they'll release you. They can't and won't do anything to improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

If this crisis has shown anything it is that the National Broadband plan must become the top priority after the return to work. Other projects like the Metro and the second Dublin Airport Runway are now pointless vanity projects. Broadband is essential to a safe economy and has the advantage of spreading people out of Dublin into rural Ireland thus easing the housing crisis.

Of course it won't because a Metro to the airport is just too cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Hi all
    Just had the latest result of a complaint I made to three about my download broadband speed, they stated that my average download speed of 1mbps was adequate enough for general browsing.
    For starters my download speed is nowhere near 1 mbps, the last few speed tests have been 0.34, 0.39, 0.28.
    What can I do? Is there a minimum download speed I can't find it on the website, and the operator I spoke to could not find it either. I told them I wasn't happy with the outcome and the supervisor is contacting me tomorrow.
    I was going to ring comreg in morning to see if they have any guidelines that could help.
    It's an obsolute pain in the ass, kids can't do homework, browse, wife can't work from home, etc, it's useless

I presume that's mobile broadband. Try changing your router to 3G only, has improved it for some.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'd want 10mbps anyhow.

who are you getting service from at the moment ?

have you tried a router, external aerials ?

is that the only provider you can use - ( i recently switched from vodafone to gomo and get much better coverage with gomo)

e.g

https://www.freetv.ie/cctv/ip/routers-antennas/

ED E wrote:
    What are you hoping for? If you want to cancel the contract complain a few more times and they'll release you. They can't and won't do anything to improve it.

This is my 4th complaint since January,.
    I just want the option to be able to find a better alternative provider if there is one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

This is my 4th complaint since January,.
    I just want the option to be able to find a better alternative provider if there is one

Official complaint?

Yes, January came back with adequate speed, logged another ticket with them in early March, after 2 week's ringing was told they could see I logged a complaint but couldn't see a result so advised me to log another ticket, at which point I heard no more.

orm0nd wrote:
    I presume that's mobile broadband. Try changing your router to 3G only, has improved it for some.

Thanks, I tried that a couple of weeks ago but it's no better

What do they say when you try to cancel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Awful predicament but unfortunately you can't expect a broadband company to supply you with a service at a significant financial loss.

The National Broadband Plan should be in place already but of course the government made a balls of it :(

The government haven't made a balls of it. They were criticised for it because of the expense, but now we see exactly how essential it is going to be.

For now you can't fault the Govt for the benefit of someone living in a house with acres of garden instead of nice wired urban broadband.

As for the Ops predicament, he should buy a directional antenna setup that will boost the signal to a mast that provides the best available connection.

The government haven't made a balls of it. They were criticised for it because of the expense, but now we see exactly how essential it is going to be.

They have, it was announced in 2012. 2020 was the original date announced for completion.

ED E wrote:
    What do they say when you try to cancel?

They will not cancel the contract as they deem 1mb an acceptable download speed.

As for the Ops predicament, he should buy a directional antenna setup that will boost the signal to a mast that provides the best available connection.

I do have an external antenna set up, as I said its signal has gradually gotten worse over the last few months.
    I might spend tomorrow evening measuring the speed at various spots outside the house to see if there is a newer stronger signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Look online for your nearest mast - get a directional antenna and point it towards that mast, connect same antenna to your router.

Example directional antenna: https://www.freetv.ie/4g-antenna/

65535 wrote:
    Look online for your nearest mast - get a directional antenna and point it towards that mast, connect same antenna to your router.

Thanks for that, I know where my nearest mast is, it's actually only a couple of miles away, the problem being I'm situated at the bottom of a large hill which is between me and the mast.
    Intermittently I can get 15 - 20 mb down pointing at that mast but the signal doesn't last and goes back down to 1mb.
    Do.you think that type of aerial would help with that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Thanks for that, I know where my nearest mast is, it's actually only a couple of miles away, the problem being I'm situated at the bottom of a large hill which is between me and the mast.
    Intermittently I can get 15 - 20 mb down pointing at that mast but the signal doesn't last and goes back down to 1mb.

Try and put the antenna on a pole - 20 ft aluminum pole might do - the higher the better - if you do get 'line of sight' to the tower then you have a better chance of getting a usable signal.

Even if you could put it on your roof/chimney then you would have a better chance of getting a better signal.

The antenna is a directional one so point it towards the local mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

65535 wrote: »

Example directional antenna: https://www.freetv.ie/4g-antenna/
    Than it's not the nearest mast.

I'll rephrase the question; what is the nearest mast that you have line of sight of, from anywhere in your house? Including the theoretical line of sight from your chimney (as you can hook up something off it).

Have a look at the Poor Mans WiFi; http://www.exe64.com/mirror/wokfi/
    65535 wrote: »
    Try and put the antenna on a pole - 20 ft aluminum pole might do - the higher the better
    If he's in a remote area, higher may not be better; higher may end up being a lightening conductor that will fry a load of things. But you do have the right idea. OP; get two poles; one 5 feet taller than the other, so lightening hits that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sorry if I wasn't clear, our area is clearly a bit of a blackspot, for mobile and broadband coverage.

First of all, mobile internet is not broadband. You never know, how many people are in the same cell as you, so you can not be guaranteed a minimum speed or a contention ratio. Bandwidth usage for most providers have doubled in these times, so your 1.8 Mbit/s acceptable minimum probably is just under 1 Mbit/s now. The capacity on these mobile cells simply isn't there for general broadband use.

That would be different with a provider, that has no customers moving around. Like a fixed wireless operator. Important there is just to find one, that doesn't oversubscribe their network to hell.

Secondly .. just wait until the anti-5G crowd sets the nearest mast to you on fire. Then you've got nothing. Just saying.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

have you tried changing to 3g ? sometimes it can be faster than 4g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Once Three saw you on this speed intermittently - no chance they would let you go free...

This could indicate that, intermittently, you connecting to "good" mast/cell.
    What router you operate off? B525 show cell ID - take note once on bad and once on "good" speed. Are those numbers differ significant(9870012 vs 5671234) or only by last few digits(9870012 vs 9870015)?
    What antenna you have? If directional, double check masts/cells i your vicinity - try to point to next nearest with LOS

Anyone who can't get a broadband connection these days have only themselves to blame for building so remotely.

Every town and village in Ireland has broadband and often extend out the main roads from the centre

So the housing shortage was a make believe situation?
    Most people are not in the situation where they can sell a cheap house in a rural location and buy a much more expensive one in an urban location. People who bought a house decade ago can't be expected to know that working from home would become so popular. Even a few months ago people who now work from home never imagined it being a reality.

Thanks to technologies like GPON providing fast internet to rural locations is viable. Especially with initiatives like the NBP that was announced in 2012.

salonfire wrote: »
    Anyone who can't get a broadband connection these days have only themselves to blame for building so remotely.

Every town and village in Ireland has broadband and often extend out the main roads from the centre

Thats quite ignorant to the reality of things. Areas of D12, D14, D4 that have sweet feck all (poor ADSL) due to legacy cabling. Parts of Dublin1/2 can be a disaster unless you can afford €1000/mo for a corp grade connection.

salonfire wrote:

salonfire wrote:

Thank for the great vote of sympathy, for your information I'm only a few miles away from a main town so I don't consider myself remotely rural.

• Advertisement

I'm using these here with excellent results , but it's critical that they are set up correctly, i.e stacked at correct distance and pointing at correct angle

A lot of these so called aerials are nothing more than a bit of tin foil in a plastic box. they can work in cases but often the loss on the cable outplay the benefit.

https://www.wimo.com/en/antennas/gsm-lte-mobile-phone-antennas/antennas-for-4g-lte/60072

salonfire wrote: »

my house is over 150 years old..........

less than 2 miles from the town boundary eir stopped fibre 200 yds away . glad you have great broadband

orm0nd wrote:
    I'm using these here with excellent results , but it's critical that they are set up correctly, i.e stacked at correct distance and pointing at correct angle

For any set up like what you have, I presume line of sight is critical, Ive no Los in any direction even the closest mast is obstructed by a hill.
    I spent the last couple of evenings trying to get a stable speed with the existing antenna, I managed to find a good spot giving me up to 30mbps down over the last 24hrs, which is an unbelievable speed for me. The signal dropped a couple of hours ago back to around 2mbps, which is disappointing but I'll leave it there and keep monitoring it.

So the signal is unstable and changes even with the antenna in the same location?

Or are there times of day when more people are connected to the mast? And the real issue is too many people on one mast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So the signal is unstable and changes even with the antenna in the same location?

Or are there times of day when more people are connected to the mast? And the real issue is too many people on one mast?

It is mobile internet. It was never designed for static broadband use.

So yes .. it will change cell as it sees fit.

/M

• Advertisement

I was just wondering I'm not too tech savy but as I said previously the signal had dropped off down to about 2mb from up to 20-30 mb for the 24hr period.
    I checked it again about an hour ago and it was still slow, I restarted the router and it immediately came back to 10mb down and has stayed there.
    So is it a case the antenna is always receiving a good signal but the router is not always transmitting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So is it a case the antenna is always receiving a good signal but the router is not always transmitting it
    Not necessary.
    Signal your antenna catch could be switching from one mast to the other - quite normal for mobile tech.

I was just wondering I'm not too tech savy but as I said previously the signal had dropped off down to about 2mb from up to 20-30 mb for the 24hr period.
    I checked it again about an hour ago and it was still slow, I restarted the router and it immediately came back to 10mb down and has stayed there.

Re booting the router would switch you to a different cell. It looks there is serious congestion on that signal.

No aerial system will work if the signal isn't there. Do you have a garage or any other building away from the house. If there was a signal there it might work.

Know 1 guy whose using this set-up with 2 nano stations.

orm0nd wrote:
    No aerial system will work if the signal isn't there. Do you have a garage or any other building away from the house. If there was a signal there it might work.

I've a large shed at the bottom of the garden, I've checked the signal on top of it but it's no good.
    It looks like I keep the antenna in the same spot, even though the signal is fluctuating it's still the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

I can't find it in the contract, but I complained in January about the same thing and was told my speed was above the acceptable limit of 1.8 mbps now its 1 mb so they are clearly changing the requirements.
    I tried everything, I spent a lot of time, and money last summer, finding the best signal and put up an external antenna which worked OK for about 4 months then the signal kept getting weaker and disconnecting. So I've disconnected that system and have positioned the router where we can get a signal. What even more frustrating is I can get a great signal outside on rare occasions but it never last for more than a couple of minutes

was it omni or directional aerial you tried?

Its a directional antenna.
    Just a quick update, I've learned through trial and error I've 2 accessable masts.
    I put the antenna up as high as I could and the mast I was concentrating my efforts on did not improve. It was still good but unstable and I couldn't get any more than 3 bars of strength on the router.
    So I completely changed direction to another 3 mast further away in a village and the speed shot up, also the signal strength went to full strength on the router. It has been brilliant up until the first night of the lockdown a couple of weeks ago, when the signal dies in the evening.
    It's obviously contention, but it's amazing the difference in speed.
    Very late at night I've seen over 100mbps on the speed test, but in the evening it will fall to around 2mbps gradually climbing up as the night goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Have a read here, lots of info..
    https://confusedbird.com/index.php

pms7 wrote:
    Have a read here, lots of info..

Thank you very much, that's a brilliant forum, very informative

Advertisement