Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Could you say what service you used to get the test, also the result that led to such a high supplement level, if personal no need, thanks

Only seeing this now, so sorry for the delay in getting back. I used cerascreen first, a home test they send you in the post. The results showed a deficiency, so I got it checked through my doctor. They normally wouldn't test for vitamin d deficiency unless there was something wrong with me. I feel fine with the deficiency, so I wouldn't normally go to the doctor if it wasn't for the first home test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I found a Vitamin D with K2 combination on an Irish site called HP Nutrition and it arrived today

But, in hindsight, I'm thinking just 7 euros for 90 days supply of 2000 IUs with K2 added sounds a bit too true to be true? Because, although Vitamin D is very cheap to produce, I'm not sure K2 is

I'm probably going to be taking a chalk placebo for the next 3 months ;)

is_that_so wrote: »
    New small study on Vitamin D deficiency and COVID, more prevalent in men.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201027092216.htm

Although I'm a big believer in the benefits of Vitamin D, I think the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" comes to mind here

The main reason for this is we lose natural Vitamin D more and more as we age as well as the ability to absorb it

For all we know 70% of the men in this survey could've been over the age of 60

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Although I'm a big believer in the benefits of Vitamin D, I think the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" comes to mind here

The main reason for this is we lose natural Vitamin D more and more as we age as well as the ability to absorb it

For all we know 70% of the men in this survey could've been over the age of 60

True enough but might be no harm to ensure your levels are up. My grandmother used to swear by fish oil for the winter months to prevent/ease cold and flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Been following John since January and he’s been ahead of the curve regularly. This is his most recent video on VIT D.

This virus has been around nearly a year at this stage and there’s no extensive research into how relevant VIT D is in our fight. It’s ridiculous at this stage, seems like the cheapest and easiest way of potentially lowering bad cases and deaths of the virus. Countries are shutting down economy’s and yet they don’t think it’s worth even telling everybody to make sure they are VIT D sufficient (even just to take this variable out of the equation).

I’ve been taking it since the start of Feb , I’m so surprised it’s not at least been debunked or explored comprehensively at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Always a good phrase to have in mind in any analysis.

But is causation ever found beyond correlation? I would say it always has to be your starting point at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

These days I buy all my supplements like B vitamins as pure powders off ebay and use a cheap chinese 1/00th gram readout micro scales to work out dosage vs a micro scoop and then just use x scoops stirred into fruit juice.

For a D3 + K2 powder like this, it would work out 48% cheaper in terms of D3 content.

Not knocking those tabs, just pointing out the idea of the rolling your own option.

wadacrack wrote: »

The most vulnerable Scots are to be given free vitamin D supplements to help to boost their immune system.

People who have been shielding are to be sent a four-month supply to compensate for a lack of natural sunlight.

Amazing work by Scotland

Their leader seems to take the bull by the horns since this started

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Amazing work by Scotland

Their leader seems to take the bull by the horns since this started

They should just put it in all bread, milk, cereals sold

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They should just put it in all bread, milk, cereals sold

There's very little to fúck all Vitamin D in all of those things you said

There's little of anything good in 90% of cereals, bread is one of the worst things you can put in your body and milk doesn't agree with everyone

It's why there's supplements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

There's very little to fúck all Vitamin D in all of those things you said

There's little of anything good in 90% of cereals, bread is one of the worst things you can put in your body and milk doesn't agree with everyone

It's why there's supplements

Fortified my man

They can add it

You don't need supplements

Get me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

and ... found this in guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/31/add-vitamin-d-bread-milk-help-fight-covid-urge-scientists-deficiency-supplements
    [A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “Companies are free to fortify food products with Vitamin D and already do so for a number of foods, including many breakfast cereals. Public Health England advises people to take a Vitamin D supplement during the autumn and winter and this is particularly important this year as many people may have spent more time indoors due to COVID-19.”]

but "companies are free to fortify" reads a bit off to me ... how would they monitor the quality of the product ...

There's no even debating how bad the majority of cereals are for us. You're just loading yourself with sugar and E numbers with most of them

For me in order of preference it's usually Oats/Porridge, muesli and maybe Weetabix (I haven't Google'd the pros and cons of the latter, but I always feel like they deliver in setting you up for the day)

The rest are just very well marketed shíte

The great John Campbell with his latest findings

Black Friday

Any sun lamp deals on Amazon or vitamin deals elsewhere jumping out at you as particularly great value?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The great John Campbell with his latest findings

And thats why this whole shambles is so outrageous. Most basic stuff is being ignored. To name just a few things.

a) existing immunity to this 'novel' virus in large swaths of the population - we call them asymptomatic

b) the inability - or at this stage we should call it unwillingness - to quantify the above while it skews all our numbers to a point where there are little more than lotto numbers. All numbers like CFR & IFR and incidence are rubbish because of this yet we cling on to them and all we do - half heartedly - are a few zero prevalence studies which come out at very low percentages to a degree where its blindingly obvious that they cannot be a yardstick for immunity in the population.

c) from day one it was said that virtually without exception all severe covid cases and covid deaths have one thing in common - severe vitamin D deficiency. And yet here we are, 9 months later, a tiny thread nothing in the news. All vaccine and many voices saying that even them wont change restrictions much.

So what is an ordinary citizen supposed to make of this? Do I have point or am I halfway down the CT rabbit hole? I no longer know tbh.

So what is an ordinary citizen supposed to make of this? Do I have point or am I halfway down the CT rabbit hole? I no longer know tbh.

Nothing whatsoever conspiratorial about this

You can take your 2000 IUs of Vitamin D a day, be under 50 and have ran many marathons in your life and this thing can still kill you
    existing immunity to this 'novel' virus in large swaths of the population - we call them asymptomatic

The latest estimate is at 18% and it's still not known if they have immunity after in decent levels

from day one it was said that virtually without exception all severe covid cases and covid deaths have one thing in common - severe vitamin D deficiency.

That's because the vast majority who have passed away to this are over 70 and over 70s have very low Vitamin D levels. As you get older your body produces less and less of it. Correlation does not imply causation

We take Vitamin D because it might help. That's all

It's not a silver bullet in this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

You can take your 2000 IUs of Vitamin D a day, be under 50 and have ran many marathons in your life and this thing can still kill you

That's because the vast majority who have passed away to this are over 70 and over 70s have very low Vitamin D levels. As you get older your body produces less and less of it. Correlation does not imply causation

We take Vitamin D because it might help. That's all

It's not a silver bullet in this
    Is there anything in the vulnerability of dark skinned populations (living in low light regions that they are seemingly not genetically adapted to) to the virus that would lend extra weight to the theory of a link between low VitD levels and extra vulnerability to the virus?

Could there be causation to a degree and not just correlation?

Have there been any studies?

Any points that might argue against?

• Advertisement

Yes thanks for replying but I'm also not fully convinced Shine.

It was clearly said that without exception all victims have severe deficiency not just the elderly. From there its simple reverse logic - that may be somehow flawed although I'm struggling to see how - which means if you don't have a vitamin D deficiency you're not going to get severe covid and/or die.

But even if it was 'just' the elderly wouldnt that more or less cover the vast vast majority of covid victims anyway? The group we're most concerned with? So why dont we just pump the elderly full of vitamin D? Its cheap and easily available in large quantities.

amandstu wrote: »
    Is there anything in the vulnerability of dark skinned populations (living in low light regions that they are seemingly not genetically adapted to) to the virus that would lend extra weight to the theory of a link between low VitD levels and extra vulnerability to the virus?

Yes, there's been a good few studies showing the BAME community (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) have been hit especially hard by this

I mean we do all sorts gyrations, debating safe distances, debatable mask usage, down to micromanagement stuff when this seems a very clear and obvious avenue to explore at least? Dr. Campbell says very little has been done in that direction. Aren't we overlooking something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Yes thanks for replying but I'm also not fully convinced Shine.

It was clearly said that without exception all victims have severe deficiency not just the elderly. From there its simple reverse logic - that may be somehow flawed although I'm struggling to see how - which means if you don't have a vitamin D deficiency you're not going to get severe covid and/or die.

But even if it was 'just' the elderly wouldnt that more or less cover the vast vast majority of covid victims anyway? The group we're most concerned with? So why dont we just pump the elderly full of vitamin D? Its cheap and easily available in large quantities.

Not just elderly but majority of Irish population is likely deficient at this stage, we just don't get adequate amounts of sunshine here even during summer months it can be difficult to get enough synthesis, added to that a lot of people that usually go on a sun holiday didn't get that chance this year so I think prudent advice would be for everybody to supplement their vitamin d levels, government and NPHET really should be pushing this, and the current recommended levels of daily amounts are just too low, vitamin D council are now recommending between 5-10,000 IUs per day

Not just elderly but majority of Irish population is likely deficient at this stage, we just don't get adequate amounts of sunshine here even during summer months it can be difficult to get enough synthesis, added to that a lot of people that usually go on a sun holiday didn't get that chance this year so I think prudent advice would be for everybody to supplement their vitamin d levels, government and NPHET really should be pushing this, and the current recommended levels of daily amounts are just too low, vitamin D council are now recommending between 5-10,000 IUs per day

Thats the thing I cant figure out. Not going to say silver bullet but by my above logic it seems to have the potential for it.

Now I know things are rarely as straightforward in practice as they seem in theory but I'd like to know why we pump billions into vaccine developments and hardly anyone is talking about this? Not saying vaccine is obsolete but it seems much cheaper and already available avenue to explore.

According to an earlier program from Dr. Campbell it shows some dramatic effect on people who already have severe covid. Not all but a lot of them. He presented a practical clinical study from the University clinic Cordoba I think that showed dramatic differences in the outcomes of covid patients supplied with vitamin D versus a control group.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Thats the thing I cant figure out. Not going to say silver bullet but by my above logic it seems to have the potential for it.

Now I know things are rarely as straightforward in practice as they seem in theory but I'd like to know why we pump billions into vaccine developments and hardly anyone is talking about this? Not saying vaccine is obsolete but it seems much cheaper and already available avenue to explore.

According to an earlier program from Dr. Campbell it shows some dramatic effect on people who already have severe covid. Not all but a lot of them. He presented a practical clinical study from the University clinic Cordoba I think that showed dramatic differences in the outcomes of covid patients supplied with vitamin D versus a control group.

I think it was a massive wasted opportunity not having a widespread supplementation programme not just in this country but other European countries aswell, while vitamin D is not a silver bullet by any means I think it would make an excellent alternative to the vaccine until it becomes widely available, providing some form of protection at least,
    You can see in Nordic countries where they implement a Vitamin D programme every winter there are now lower numbers of covid 19 cases compared to other EU countries and I believe it was no accident that the virus seemed to lose its aggressiveness during the summer months, surely serum vitamin d levels played a role in this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Black Friday

Any sun lamp deals on Amazon or vitamin deals elsewhere jumping out at you as particularly great value?

Mine was not on offer but I got 2x36W philips narrowband UVB bulbs and an electronic ballast & reflector system to fix them to.

This is used for treatment of skin conditions, eye protection mustbe worn and you could get severe sunburn in under a minute. I see in reviews for these lights that people do use them for vitamin D production.

Buying mine separately was far cheaper than buying a unit from a "medical company", even though its the exact same bulbs. If you want any more details on it let me know. Might have been about €220-235 for the lot

Nothing whatsoever conspiratorial about this

This is a rather odd post. Firstly, I don't know of any cases of people fitting this profile you have outlined dying from the virus. Even if you were able to back up the assertion with any such cases, they would have to be viewed as utterly insignificant statistically against a background of 1.44 million deaths globally. People under 50 with high Vit D levels and the aerobic capacity to run a marathon need not fear this virus as a killer any more than they would fear an asteroid falling on them.

Our bodies don't make Vit D. We need sunlight to make it whatever age you are at.

topper75 wrote: »
    People under 50 with high Vit D levels and the aerobic capacity to run a marathon need not fear this virus as a killer any more than they would fear an asteroid falling on them.

Nah I just can't be arsed wasting internet energy on anything like this anymore

"same odds as an asteroid falling on them"

For fúcks sake

• Advertisement

Nah I just can't be arsed wasting internet energy on anything like this anymore

"same odds as an asteroid falling on them"

For fúcks sake

You made the claim, I ask you to back it up with a real life case. Instead you go with FFS.

Yeah the problem here must be with others on the internet. Not you fearmongering.

Advertisement