Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

TLDR, just taking it since March.

Thats me wrote: »
    TLDR, just taking it since March.

I think everyone is taking it at this stage. Cant do us much harm either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I read another report of the same study and this has probably been pointed out already, but they interestingly used a "processed" form of Vitamin D called Calcifediol. Normally, it takes at least 5 days for the liver to process Vitamin D into that form, which wouldn't be much benefit in a hospital. So, it's great that it is available to them in that form, but underlines that you need to be taking vit D on an ongoing basis and not just as soon as you feel a cough or a sniffle.

Also, the horribly low sunlight levels where I am for the last several weeks is another reason to be taking Vitamin D right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The numbers are far too small to draw conclusions, as it says in the article anyway. Vitamin D is a good idea this time of year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

For anyone taking Vitamin D how are you getting. Personally I've been eating oily fish 4/5 times a week for the guts of twenty years. I haven't gone down the route of supplements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ShyMets wrote: »
    For anyone taking Vitamin D how are you getting. Personally I've been eating oily fish 4/5 times a week for the guts of twenty years. I haven't gone down the route of supplements

I take a supplement but I have also introduced shrimp in my diet (a nutritionist I talked to told me that it is one of the richest foods in vitamin D) and also fish and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

ShyMets wrote: »

Very high dose liquid supplements since I was tested extremely low around 10 or lower if I remember due to being a night owl from previous work and seeing no or near zero daylight at the right time and being unwell. Apart from that wild salmon and milk.
    below a list of foods with vit d incase getting sunshine difficult or you missed it earky on on the year if working etc.

https://health.gov/our-work/food-nutrition/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines/guidelines/appendix-12/

https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/high-vitamin-D-foods.php

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Note different levels for babys kids teenagers adults different colours of skin and seniors required

note 2 re sunshine some great websites which tell you depending on your country is on earth when best to get it re time of day and fir how long with hiw much of your skin exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

<Snip> No medical advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

wadacrack wrote: »
    <Snip> No medical advice

Do we have ivermectin in Ireland? Looking at the HPRA website and two creams come up when you do a search for ivermectin.

Do a search for ivermectin under the veterinary medicine section and there's plenty for animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Healthcare-online.org states, Ingesting caffeine in your body can inhibit vitamin D receptors, which can interfere with the way your body absorbs it.

Why is coffee consumption not often mentioned as a factor in Vitamin D insufficiency? As well as age, and stress? It appears that all these factors can contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

scrips wrote: »
    Healthcare-online.org states, Ingesting caffeine in your body can inhibit vitamin D receptors, which can interfere with the way your body absorbs it.

Why is coffee consumption not often mentioned as a factor in Vitamin D insufficiency? As well as age, and stress? It appears that all these factors can contribute.

You will probably get more caffeine from the tea.. Anyway, we had a summer when everybody were travelling around island, but cases were very small. Probably even Irish sun was enough to produce required doses of vit.D in the human bodies. Now we are consuming enormous doses of vitamin D. Just take it before physical activity with a fat food. This should work.

Thats me wrote: »
    You will probably get more caffeine from the tea.. Anyway, we had a summer when everybody were travelling around island, but cases were very small. Probably even Irish sun was enough to produce required doses of vit.D in the human bodies. Now we are consuming enormous doses of vitamin D. Just take it before physical activity with a fat food. This should work.

I spent time outdoors in the summer hoping to get some vitamin D. Turns out I was deficient and I only got my vitamin D level checked back in October so not that long since summer passed. So some Irish don't get enough sun.

I don't know, did I have to sit out in a beer garden all day to get enough? I would get out for a short walk or cycle with t-shirt and shorts. Turned out that the 20 minutes I would go out wasn't enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Medical advice is not permitted, this is a sitewide rule

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Olive oil has vitamin D as well as other nutrients and there are suggestions it has potential health benefits. People in the Med drink a shot of olive oil every morning (1/4 cup). Studies suggest it has to be Extra Virgin Olive Oil and best if cold-pressed.

A St James Geriatrician, who gave an advice talk to my public service group on retirement, said people tend to have lower Vitamin D levels as they get older very often because they tend to cover up so much because they imagine they are not as presentable in shorts & tee shirts etc. He advised to get more skin exposure if we are not at higher melanoma risk whilst naturally keeping an eye on the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

How many IUs a day is everyone at now?

I'm still 2000 IUs a day but was thinking of doubling it given the current lunacy

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How man IUs a day is everyone at now?

I'm still 2000 IUs a day but was thinking of doubling it given the current lunacy

I'm taking a high dose with doctors orders.

Read something online, that 5000iu per 100 lbs body weight is ok to take. I'll try find what I read online and provide a link.

Edit: link with info https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/suffer-the-children/202005/vitamin-d-and-covid-19?amp

The doctor who recommends 5000iu per 100lbs of body weight has written books about vitamin D. Not sure how I feel about a doctor profiteering like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How many IUs a day is everyone at now?

I recently placed an order for 340 5000iu

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

A St James Geriatrician, who gave an advice talk to my public service group on retirement, said people tend to have lower Vitamin D levels as they get older very often because they tend to cover up so much because they imagine they are not as presentable in shorts & tee shirts etc. He advised to get more skin exposure if we are not at higher melanoma risk whilst naturally keeping an eye on the skin.

The don don’t wear shorts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Excellent and well researched Guardian article here on whether vitamin D combats Covid.

JTMan wrote: »
    Excellent and well researched Guardian article here on whether vitamin D combats Covid.
    Yep but it points to the still pertinent issue, data to date has been observational rather than subject to clinical trials. I believe there are now a couple of those ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep but it points to the still pertinent issue, data to date has been observational rather than subject to clinical trials. I believe there are now a couple of those ongoing.

The question remains, why we are still waiting for somebody to engage in such clinical trials. The question of VIT D supplements reducing VIT D deficiency in the population and potentially helping reduce severity of Illness has been around since last January. Is it because there is no money to be made off positive findings ?

Anyone else take more than vitamin D? I was laughed at in the main thread, telling me to get off, causing too much stress being online. Seems like a silly notion trying to protect oneself in anyway they can.

Drumpot wrote: »
    The question remains, why we are still waiting for somebody to engage in such clinical trials. The question of VIT D supplements reducing VIT D deficiency in the population and potentially helping reduce severity of Illness has been around since last January. Is it because there is no money to be made off positive findings ?
    It's low priority IMO as the main aim is vaccines against COVID and they are being shown to work well. I don't disagree on the overall health effect of Vitamin D but it still needs proper studies to confirm it does so, in relation to COVID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Anyone else take more than vitamin D?

A multivitamin, fish oil and I'm looking into Ascorbyl Palmitate. It's Vitamin C except is actually stays in the body

Similarly, I'm going to look at Quercetin

They say Zinc is very good for the immune system too, but I'm presuming that's already in my multivitamin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Prepanepidemic I only took codliveroil and occasional magnesium now since March 2020 I'm on Vit B/C, D, Zinc, Magnesium, Whisky and Codliveroil. I intend to temporarily stop D in March and restart D in October. (My cod liver oil has a littleD)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Taking 10000 iu of vit d. 400mg magnesium and fish oil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pottokblue wrote: »
    I'm on Vit B/C, D, Zinc, Magnesium, Whisky and Codliveroil.
    I like your feckin style. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Taking 10000 iu of vit d. 400mg magnesium and fish oil

Magnesium needed for absorption of vit d

Advertisement