Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

wadacrack wrote: »
    Have you noticed any physiological benefits? energy etc . Magnesium can help also with absorption btw

No, I have not noticed any effects (nor did not expect to).
    I take it because of lack of sunlight due to season and Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

anyone know the benefits of spray over pill? Theres a heavy radio campaign promoting the spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

That daily Vitamin D supplementation of 20-25µg/day should be recommended to the entire adult population as a public health measure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG72xGd0W0M

Vitamin D seems to be getting studied recently alot more in different context than Covid.

It has always been quite heavily studied. It just has not been studied very well. The studies done simply have not reached the quality or type actually required to tell us much at all. And what studies _have_ been done in any way usefully on it - have shown pretty much no benefit to "normal" people with normal lives and diets.

The research I have studied basically fails to support supplementation of Vitamin D in _most cases_. Including cardiovascular health, muscle skeleton health, general case mortality, Covid 19, or depression.

The problem is most of the studies on these are "Observational Studies" not causal. And they are split down the middle with some showing effect and some not. But when amalgamated into meta analysis - generally not.

Worse - the more double blind controlled studies which did show effects on things like, say, depression - actually used a supplementation level that was insanely high to get a tiny tiny result. The video you linked to for example recommended a supplementation level of 1000iu. A single study in 2008 on Vitamin D and depression used levels of 20-40000iu in order to result in only a tiny tiny reported affect on mood. And even then the only people who showed any benefit were the ones who were highly obese and highly depressed.

So basically if you are very obese and depressed to a clinically significant level and take an incredibly high dose of Vitamin D - you might be lucky and see a _tiny_ benefit. Joy! But actually when a 2014 systematic review of some studies was performed - even that tiny effect disappeared. No Joy after all!

So what about Covid? Well in September a study did suggest that people with a "likely deficient" status were 1.77 times more likely to test positive for Covid. This study was in 489 patients.

Sound promising? Well another study of 500,000 patients in the summer of 2020 showed no link, no benefit, no effect. Oh well. :)

But once again these studies were again all observational. That is bad. Very bad.

Randomized controlled studies related to Covid are coming out only now and some still under way. I look forward to the results but have not had the time in the last few months to sit down with them yet :) So if anything I say is yet out of date apologies of course. But until I see it, I will hold off.

But what I do know about is similar research done before Covid. For example there was a good meta analysis done on the role of Vitamin D in acute respiratory tract infections of other types. And it did show a positive effect of Vitamin D use. But with the usual caveat that the small effect was only very noticeable in patients who were _very_ deficient to start with. Once again - the average joe on the irish streets are probably not going to see much benefit. Let alone of insanely high intakes.

A final warning when looking at studies is to note that studies declaring "deficiency" tend to use levels not often seen in healthy people. So if you are ever reading a study or - god forbid - citing one to support the use of Vitamin D you should check before anything else what their definition of "deficient" actually is. In fact there seems to be no international - and in some cases national - consensus on what constitutes "low" in the first place. In fact three of the studies I mention above used 8 20 and 30 ng/ml. That means one study used a level nearly 400% higher than the other. The report in your video below used 20.

That is true of all studies of this nature. For example one of the _few_ studies the Bottled Water industry latched on to to convince people they need to drink stupid amounts of water every day (2 litres or some nonsense right?) used a bizarre level for dehydration in urine when studying children. A level that any pediatrician would scoff at I hope.

I am not skeptical for the sake of it. I would in fact love it if popping a little pill across the nation had ramifications for contraction of Covid and/or severity of symptoms. So I have no bias here. But the evidence is low for this. And even people who recommend it's use like Dr. Fauci rush to point out that dosing up from actual high deficiency is moderately useful - and he never wants to give the impression that dosing the average person will have any effect at all.

Not to mention all of that - too much of Vitamin D can actually hurt you. So dosing on it for no good reason is probably not a good move overall.
    That daily Vitamin D supplementation of 20-25µg/day should be recommended to the entire adult population as a public health measure

A pretty poor video unfortunately. The Dr (I do not know him, so I will just assume he actually is one) did not really go into discussing what "deficiency" means or what level is chosen or why. He just swallowed the "20" in the report wholesale. What levels each study uses. Or in fact _any_ of the contents of _any_ of the studies in the report he was doing the video about.

One problem is though that someone being a "Dr." does not mean they even know how to read / parse such studies. This is not the doctors fault. It's just a fact of the training many get. In the video the report used the word "known" and he got all excited about this. Oh well if they say "known" it must be true right :confused: But some people - I think Ben Goldacre is one - have written about this problem in Doctor training.

But to give a random example of what I mean. The report he is reviewing cited a _single_ paper about a relationship between Vitamin D and depression in Adults. There are many papers out there. Even better there are systematic meta reviews combining and analyzing the results of those papers. So to cite a single paper for this is - well bad.

Even worse however is that single paper is not a great one. For example it was not a cross population study. It was a study _solely_ of people over 50. Not only that the study is solely relational. That is they observe low levels of Vitamin D in people with high levels of depression. That in _no way whatsoever_ suggests low Vitamin D in any way causes that depression. It also does not suggest it did not cause that depression. Basically - it tells us nothing useful at all.

At. All.

And the "Dr" making the video mentioned none of that. Not even obliquely let alone directly.

There was also a reference to some international studies. There is another small problem with that. Well relatively small but still quite significant. In places like the US vitamins are poorly regulated. Meaning it is hard to impossible to know what you're getting when you use them. So when a study looks at the effect of Vitamin D on one thing or another - it is important to check if the researchers provided the Vitamin D or were the subjects using any old over the counter product? Because studying the effect of any chemical without controlling the standard or purity of chemical used is - well useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It has always been quite heavily studied...

I conducted my own experiment. I sent two kids to school and noted the frequency with which I caught bugs from them, both when I was taking vitamin D, and when I was not. No control group or ANOVA, I'm afraid

Slam-dunk.

I take vitamin D supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And a video about it...a second one I think to follow...if your high risk and havn't already get your vit D sorted via your GP or pharmacist if your one of the majority of Irish people who are deficient...do it asap

NOTE: do definetly talk to the doctor first t if on heart/hypertension meds especially if taking high doses of zinc which many are doing ar the moment along with vit d/c/selenuim/quercitin etc As zinc may interfer with the meds.

Apologies Wada just saw text link..aahh well important so will leave above .

cnocbui wrote: »
    Slam-dunk.

Thankfully actual studies are a little more controlled and comprehensive than this :) But yes it generally does seem to take very badly run experiments in order to come up with anything that suggests Vitamin D supplementation helpful for all but some real outlier cases.

There does seem to be a lot of emotion around this one vitamin though compared to most other supplementation. People for whatever reason seem to really really really want it to be some kind of magic cure all. From heart issues to skeletal issues to depression to covid. The claims made about it make it sound like some kind of miracle. When in fact taking such supplements seem to do pretty much nothing at all.

Low VitD and worse outcomes are it appears related.

Whether the low VitD is the cause of the worse outcome, or is a result of some natural action depleting the VitD when something like Covid-19 is encountered, is not yet properly determined, IMO.

Low VitD might well turn out to be an indicator of some underlying problem, rather than the problem itself.
    It might equally be that VitD gets used up when the immune system is worked very hard.

Until this is finally and fully determined, I will supplement with VitD, and worst case it will do no harm, and best case will provide me with a better immune response to whatever I might meet.

This should be of interest ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAvvZXUW08

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

It has always been quite heavily studied. It just has not been studied very well. The studies done simply have not reached the quality or type actually required to tell us much at all. And what studies _have_ been done in any way usefully on it - have shown pretty much no benefit to "normal" people with normal lives and diets.

The research I have studied basically fails to support supplementation of Vitamin D in _most cases_. Including cardiovascular health, muscle skeleton health, general case mortality, Covid 19, or depression.

The problem is most of the studies on these are "Observational Studies" not causal. And they are split down the middle with some showing effect and some not. But when amalgamated into meta analysis - generally not.

Worse - the more double blind controlled studies which did show effects on things like, say, depression - actually used a supplementation level that was insanely high to get a tiny tiny result. The video you linked to for example recommended a supplementation level of 1000iu. A single study in 2008 on Vitamin D and depression used levels of 20-40000iu in order to result in only a tiny tiny reported affect on mood. And even then the only people who showed any benefit were the ones who were highly obese and highly depressed.

So basically if you are very obese and depressed to a clinically significant level and take an incredibly high dose of Vitamin D - you might be lucky and see a _tiny_ benefit. Joy! But actually when a 2014 systematic review of some studies was performed - even that tiny effect disappeared. No Joy after all!

So what about Covid? Well in September a study did suggest that people with a "likely deficient" status were 1.77 times more likely to test positive for Covid. This study was in 489 patients.

Sound promising? Well another study of 500,000 patients in the summer of 2020 showed no link, no benefit, no effect. Oh well. :)

But once again these studies were again all observational. That is bad. Very bad.

Randomized controlled studies related to Covid are coming out only now and some still under way. I look forward to the results but have not had the time in the last few months to sit down with them yet :) So if anything I say is yet out of date apologies of course. But until I see it, I will hold off.

But what I do know about is similar research done before Covid. For example there was a good meta analysis done on the role of Vitamin D in acute respiratory tract infections of other types. And it did show a positive effect of Vitamin D use. But with the usual caveat that the small effect was only very noticeable in patients who were _very_ deficient to start with. Once again - the average joe on the irish streets are probably not going to see much benefit. Let alone of insanely high intakes.

A final warning when looking at studies is to note that studies declaring "deficiency" tend to use levels not often seen in healthy people. So if you are ever reading a study or - god forbid - citing one to support the use of Vitamin D you should check before anything else what their definition of "deficient" actually is. In fact there seems to be no international - and in some cases national - consensus on what constitutes "low" in the first place. In fact three of the studies I mention above used 8 20 and 30 ng/ml. That means one study used a level nearly 400% higher than the other. The report in your video below used 20.

That is true of all studies of this nature. For example one of the _few_ studies the Bottled Water industry latched on to to convince people they need to drink stupid amounts of water every day (2 litres or some nonsense right?) used a bizarre level for dehydration in urine when studying children. A level that any pediatrician would scoff at I hope.

I am not skeptical for the sake of it. I would in fact love it if popping a little pill across the nation had ramifications for contraction of Covid and/or severity of symptoms. So I have no bias here. But the evidence is low for this. And even people who recommend it's use like Dr. Fauci rush to point out that dosing up from actual high deficiency is moderately useful - and he never wants to give the impression that dosing the average person will have any effect at all.

Not to mention all of that - too much of Vitamin D can actually hurt you. So dosing on it for no good reason is probably not a good move overall.

A pretty poor video unfortunately. The Dr (I do not know him, so I will just assume he actually is one) did not really go into discussing what "deficiency" means or what level is chosen or why. He just swallowed the "20" in the report wholesale. What levels each study uses. Or in fact _any_ of the contents of _any_ of the studies in the report he was doing the video about.

One problem is though that someone being a "Dr." does not mean they even know how to read / parse such studies. This is not the doctors fault. It's just a fact of the training many get. In the video the report used the word "known" and he got all excited about this. Oh well if they say "known" it must be true right :confused: But some people - I think Ben Goldacre is one - have written about this problem in Doctor training.

But to give a random example of what I mean. The report he is reviewing cited a _single_ paper about a relationship between Vitamin D and depression in Adults. There are many papers out there. Even better there are systematic meta reviews combining and analyzing the results of those papers. So to cite a single paper for this is - well bad.

Even worse however is that single paper is not a great one. For example it was not a cross population study. It was a study _solely_ of people over 50. Not only that the study is solely relational. That is they observe low levels of Vitamin D in people with high levels of depression. That in _no way whatsoever_ suggests low Vitamin D in any way causes that depression. It also does not suggest it did not cause that depression. Basically - it tells us nothing useful at all.

At. All.

And the "Dr" making the video mentioned none of that. Not even obliquely let alone directly.

There was also a reference to some international studies. There is another small problem with that. Well relatively small but still quite significant. In places like the US vitamins are poorly regulated. Meaning it is hard to impossible to know what you're getting when you use them. So when a study looks at the effect of Vitamin D on one thing or another - it is important to check if the researchers provided the Vitamin D or were the subjects using any old over the counter product? Because studying the effect of any chemical without controlling the standard or purity of chemical used is - well useless.

I have been bedbound for nearly 10 years and after taking vitamin D I am able to walk in the park....and I know other people that were very sick for having low vitamin D

• Advertisement

Low VitD and worse outcomes are it appears related.

Low VitD might well turn out to be an indicator of some underlying problem, rather than the problem itself.
    It might equally be that VitD gets used up when the immune system is worked very hard.

this is my experience too, low vitamin D makes much worse other underlying problems.
    However my geneticist in USA told me that they are seeing a huge number of young children with very low vitamin D

I have been bedbound for nearly 10 years and after taking vitamin D I am able to walk in the park....and I know other people that were very sick for having low vitamin D

Always nice to hear such stories. Not the bed bound part of course - that sounds awful. But the outcome of finding something that helps you.

Unfortunately such anecdotes do not really help that much though. Mainly because we already know that having very low levels is a bad thing. No one I think has been suggesting otherwise.

But that in itself means nothing because the vast majority of people do not seemingly have levels low enough to cause any issues.

Low levels being bad does not mean supplementation is good. Because most people do not have low levels. It is also very arbitrary. Low levels of _many_ things is a bad thing. So why supplement one thing that is not low - just because it would be bad if it were low? For example too little blood would be a bad thing. Most of us are not taking supplementary blood transfusions because of that however. Why? Because regardless of whether low levels are bad are not - generally none of us have low levels.

But absolutely anyone who is medically significantly low should do something about that. Or if you find something that genuinely works for _you_ then keep doing that! No question.

But if someone comes to me and says "I am pretty much a normal person but I worry about catching covid" or "I worry about depression" or "I want to improve my heart or skeleton" or "I want to reduce my likelihood of all cause morality" then one of the last things I would even consider suggesting to them is Vitamin D supplementation. Because there seems to be no data at all there to suggest I should. And my suspicion in the government incentive in the report above will achieve pretty little at all.

this is my experience too, low vitamin D makes much worse other underlying problems.
    However my geneticist in USA told me that they are seeing a huge number of young children with very low vitamin D

I strongly suspect that the low levels in children is contributed to by parents 'protecting' their children with sunscreen.
    It is rare these days to see children exposed to the sun being protected only by a wide-brimmed hat or such to protect the head and neck from direct sun.

This is applicable in such places as Australia too, which has lots of sunshine, but the use of 'sun protection' is widespread, resulting in depletion of VitD levels.

Always nice to hear such stories. Not the bed bound part of course - that sounds awful. But the outcome of finding something that helps you.

Unfortunately such anecdotes do not really help that much though. Mainly because we already know that having very low levels is a bad thing. No one I think has been suggesting otherwise.

But that in itself means nothing because the vast majority of people do not seemingly have levels low enough to cause any issues.

Low levels being bad does not mean supplementation is good. Because most people do not have low levels. It is also very arbitrary. Low levels of _many_ things is a bad thing. So why supplement one thing that is not low - just because it would be bad if it were low? For example too little blood would be a bad thing. Most of us are not taking supplementary blood transfusions because of that however. Why? Because regardless of whether low levels are bad are not - generally none of us have low levels.

But absolutely anyone who is medically significantly low should do something about that. Or if you find something that genuinely works for _you_ then keep doing that! No question.

But if someone comes to me and says "I am pretty much a normal person but I worry about catching covid" or "I worry about depression" or "I want to improve my heart or skeleton" or "I want to reduce my likelihood of all cause morality" then one of the last things I would even consider suggesting to them is Vitamin D supplementation. Because there seems to be no data at all there to suggest I should. And my suspicion in the government incentive in the report above will achieve pretty little at all.

I take supplements only when I know I have a deficiency. I know people that take carnitine but they never actually got a test to see which level of free carnitine they have. I have a carnitine deficency so of course taking carnitine supplement is helping.The problem that many people feel not very well but they are still functional, probably they have some kind of deficiency but they don't know about it. And doctors usually don't do those kind of tesst. Also vitamin D test is expensive for some reason.
    Anyway I suspect that many people in Ireland are vitamin D deficency https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/lack-sunshine-blamed-donegal-vitamin-18931646

I strongly suspect that the low levels in children is contributed to by parents 'protecting' their children with sunscreen.

I am still not sure what people mean by "Low" levels though. But that aside I think I would not be too concerned about the effect of sunscreen here for a few reasons.

Not least of which is I don't think people in general use sunscreen correctly. They do not apply it correctly. They do not apply it in the correct amounts. And despite the industry enjoying selling higher and higher "factors" of sunscreen the difference is minuscule generally between one factor and the next.

It is rare these days to see children exposed to the sun being protected only by a wide-brimmed hat or such to protect the head and neck from direct sun.

This is applicable in such places as Australia too, which has lots of sunshine, but the use of 'sun protection' is widespread, resulting in depletion of VitD levels.

I think the same, also they spend too much time indoor and not so much time playing outdoor.
    The doctor told me that the food now is very poor in nutrients and doesn't help the children to absorb the vitamin.
    I remember I saw an interview of an Indian doctor that said the same thing about children in India, they are not absorbing vitamin D also if they are spending time in the sun.
    Also low fat diet doesn't help.
    Wild salmon contains about 988 IU of vitamin D per serving, while farmed salmon contains 250 IU, on average. That’s 124% and 32% of the DV, respectively.

There does seem to be a lot of emotion around this one vitamin though compared to most other supplementation.

You seem pretty invested, yaself.

In any case, I think scientists are more interested in vitamin D because we're still learning about the massive effects that hormones can have on our bodies. And because widespread vitamin D deficiency is a relatively modern thing, thanks to increased obesity, sunscreen use, and indoor working/living.

Dr Rhonda Patrick (full disclosure: I'm a fan) studies the effects of environmental and dietary factors at the cellular/genetic level and has published research on the role of vitamin D in regulating serotonin synthesis. She has been speaking about vitamin D for years, and about it in relation to Covid since very early on in the pandemic.

Rather than post her site here, I'll link to a very passionate and scientific refutation of her ideas from a scientist, which (spoiler) ends with an update wherein the author links many studies, states that he's changed his mind, and says that people should aim to maintain a blood serum level of 30-40ng/mL.

Interesting reading at any rate.

In any case, I think scientists are more interested in vitamin D because we're still learning about the massive effects that hormones can have on our bodies. And because widespread vitamin D deficiency is a relatively modern thing, thanks to increased obesity, sunscreen use, and indoor working/living.

Dr Rhonda Patrick (full disclosure: I'm a fan) studies the effects of environmental and dietary factors at the cellular/genetic level and has published research on the role of vitamin D in regulating serotonin synthesis. She has been speaking about vitamin D for years, and about it in relation to Covid since very early on in the pandemic.

Rather than post her site here, I'll link to a very passionate and scientific refutation of her ideas from a scientist, which (spoiler) ends with an update wherein the author links many studies, states that he's changed his mind, and says that people should aim to maintain a blood serum level of 30-40ng/mL.

Interesting reading at any rate.

I honestly think they are not investing in vitamin D because it is not profitable. I have been tested so many time for diabetes,cholesterol and thyroid and nobody tested me for vitamin D in ten years I was bedbound?

Not hugely - but I am big into reading and understanding science and epidemiology. And Vitamin D is at least useful to see how good studies are done - poor studies are done - how anecdote is misused - how causation is misunderstood and more. If I were to teach scientific literacy to people I think Vitamin D would be one of my go to case studies.

But I write a lot on many other similar things too on boards. Far from just Vitamin D so I am not that invested really. For example I have written a lot about how the water industry selling bottled water have manipulated people into thinking they need to drink a lot more water every day than they actually do. In one case by citing a sentence from a single study which they ignored the _next_ sentence which was actually the relevant one.

As you say though scientists have become more interested in it. Which means finally we are going to get better studies. The observational studies most people use to support their fetish for this supplement are really quite worthless at the best of times. Whether they show a benefit or not. Which they generally actually don't.
    I honestly think they are not investing in vitamin D because it is not profitable. I have been tested so many time for diabetes,cholesterol and thyroid and nobody tested me for vitamin D in ten years I was bedbound?

Yeah its one of the reasons I actually wish Vitamin D supplementation did do even some of the things people claim it does. Because it if ever turns out to be useful - as the government report above says - it would be a very cheap incentive to roll out nationally. So as skeptical as I am - I genuinely do hold out hope for useful results in trials.

Well, you have to be a little bit careful there, too, because while "big pharma" don't make a profit from selling Vitamin D, plenty of supplement companies do make money from it so the profit motive still exists.

• Advertisement

Not hugely - but I am big into reading and understanding science and epidemiology. And Vitamin D is at least useful to see how good studies are done - poor studies are done - how anecdote is misused - how causation is misunderstood and more. If I were to teach scientific literacy to people I think Vitamin D would be one of my go to case studies.

But I write a lot on many other similar things too on boards. Far from just Vitamin D so I am not that invested really. For example I have written a lot about how the water industry selling bottled water have manipulated people into thinking they need to drink a lot more water every day than they actually do. In one case by citing a sentence from a single study which they ignored the _next_ sentence which was actually the relevant one.

As you say though scientists have become more interested in it. Which means finally we are going to get better studies. The observational studies most people use to support their fetish for this supplement are really quite worthless at the best of times. Whether they show a benefit or not. Which they generally actually don't.

Fair enough. I didn't link the thing. Here is the thing: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/what-chrismasterjohn-does/2016/06/21/who-i-am/

Well, you have to be a little bit careful there, too, because while "big pharma" don't make a profit from selling Vitamin D, plenty of supplement companies do make money from it so the profit motive still exists.

I am not expecting to get vitamin D for free,there are tons of companies big and smaller and you can choose where to buy it. You can also set up a company and start to sell it if you want to, you can't do this with big pharma drugs

Fair enough. I didn't link the thing. Here is the thing: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/what-chrismasterjohn-does/2016/06/21/who-i-am/

Hmmm the second I opened that link it popped up a message trying to sell me "Cliff notes" on vitamins and minerals. A few minutes later it tried to entice me into a "free" course he offers. Color me skeptical :). Anyway the link you posted above might be the wrong one as I do not see it mentioning what you said it does?

I know his name already I think. I think last September he was posting on twitter the rather grand claim that Vitamin D "almost abolishes ICU Risk for covid" or something similar. Because of a single tiny study of a whopping 75 people.

The study of course had nothing to do with supplementation however. Rather it was looking at the effect of giving high dose Calcifediol to hospitalized patients of Covid. Which - while interesting - is not really applicable to any conversation about general dietry supplements. Interesting too is that regardless of whether they gave Calcifediol to a patient or not - it seems they did not bother to at any point measure the levels of Vitamin D in the patients before or after.

But it is a study that will certainly appeal to a guy in the business of running a website selling Vitamin related courses and materials.

I am not expecting to get vitamin D for free,there are tons of companies big and smaller and you can choose where to buy it. You can also set up a company and start to sell it if you want to, you can do this with big pharma drugs

Yep, true. I'm not saying there's an equal profit motive. Just that it does still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If vitamin D is such a factor in stopping Covid 19 then why is sunny beach living Brazil so bad?

Hmmm the second I opened that link it popped up a message trying to sell me "Cliff notes" on vitamins and minerals. A few minutes later it tried to entice me into a "free" course he offers. Color me skeptical :). Anyway the link you posted above might be the wrong one as I do not see it mentioning what you said it does?

I know his name already I think. I think last September he was posting on twitter the rather grand claim that Vitamin D "almost abolishes ICU Risk for covid" or something similar. Because of a single tiny study of a whopping 75 people.

The study of course had nothing to do with supplementation however. Rather it was looking at the effect of giving high dose Calcifediol to hospitalized patients of Covid. Which - while interesting - is not really applicable to any conversation about general dietry supplements. Interesting too is that regardless of whether they gave Calcifediol to a patient or not - it seems they did not bother to at any point measure the levels of Vitamin D in the patients before or after.

But it is a study that will certainly appeal to a guy in the business of running a website selling Vitamin related courses and materials.

Yep, wrong link. Here: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/covid-19/my-response-to-rhonda-patrick-on-vitamin-d-and-covid-19

Edit: FYI, I have no idea what that guy is selling or not. I linked him because his position was that vitamin D did NOT help with Covid and should therefore not be supplemented, and over the year he has changed his mind. He linked the studies that lead him to change his mind.

If vitamin D is such a factor in stopping Covid 19 then why is sunny beach living Brazil so bad?

Up to 45% of Brazilians have insufficient vitamin D. Darker skin doesn't synthesize it so well from sunlight, and "skin safe" campaigns in hotter climates (and everywhere, really) have been very successful.

Yep, wrong link. Here: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/covid-19/my-response-to-rhonda-patrick-on-vitamin-d-and-covid-19

Edit: FYI, I have no idea what that guy is selling or not. I linked him because his position was that vitamin D did NOT help with Covid and should therefore not be supplemented, and over the year he has changed his mind. He linked the studies that lead him to change his mind.

Yea its always nice to see someone willing to change their mind and do so openly. So respect for him for that at least. But the reports he mentions as having changed his mind are for the most part the same ones I was talking about in my (admittedly very long) first post on the issue last week.

I said all I need to say about them there if you want to go back. But I add also what I said in my most recent post above - that it is worth noticing the difference between studies looking at supplements - and studies looking at extreme level dosing at the point of hospitalization.

Anyone - doctor or otherwise - who does not point out that difference explicitly should be treated with caution. Especially if said doctor (who is a food science doctor it seems not a medical doctor) coincidentally happens to be selling Vitamins and Vitamin related products and "courses".

Yea its always nice to see someone willing to change their mind and do so openly. So respect for him for that at least. But the reports he mentions as having changed his mind are for the most part the same ones I was talking about in my (admittedly very long) first post on the issue last week.

I said all I need to say about them there if you want to go back. But I add also what I said in my most recent post above - that it is worth noticing the difference between studies looking at supplements - and studies looking at extreme level dosing at the point of hospitalization.

Anyone - doctor or otherwise - who does not point out that difference explicitly should be treated with caution. Especially if said doctor (who is a food science doctor it seems not a medical doctor) coincidentally happens to be selling Vitamins and Vitamin related products and "courses".

Full disclosure, I'm more interested in what people who read and understand studies have to say about nutrition and related effects than I am with what a medical doctor who had three lectures on the bread-and-pasta-laden food pyramid fifteen years ago does.

In any case, I agree that it's unfortunate that they didn't take the blood levels in that calcifediol study, and that mega-dosing is different to daily supplementation. I personally supplement because 1: My vitamin D was critically low, 2: fertility docs are very concerned with vitamin D, and I see one of those, and 3: IMO there is enough accruing circumstantial evidence and imperfect research thus far that, given the relative safety of vitamin D supplementation, I personally think it's worthwhile to supplement on a "just in case" basis for the potential prophylactic benefits as relates to Covid.

• Advertisement

I personally supplement because 1: My vitamin D was critically low, 2: fertility docs are very concerned with vitamin D, and I see one of those, and 3: IMO there is enough accruing circumstantial evidence and imperfect research thus far that, given the relative safety of vitamin D supplementation, I personally think it's worthwhile to supplement on a "just in case" basis for the potential prophylactic benefits as relates to Covid.

I am always wary about "Just in case" Or "It cant hurt" thinking. Because quite often it _can_ hurt. Vitamin D supplements can be quite harmful. Especially if taken with other supplements. Calcium if memory serves is one example.

But you just reminded me of another study I had not mentioned when you said you were taking it because your levels are "critically low". Sometime around 2015 a study was done on Postmemopausal Women who had been disagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency.

So if supplementing in people with low levels was going to work then you would hope this would be such a group where you would see results.

The women were split into a "placebo" "Low Level" and "High level" dosing.

The results were - quite surprising. In the high dosing group there was little effect on Vitamin D absorption. Something like 1% improvement. In the placebo group absorption went down 1% just to give you a comparison.

The shocker? Absorption in the low dosing group absorption went down 2%. Double that placebo group.

What that means I have no idea! It suggests supplementing does nothing at all or in fact makes things worse so the knee jerk thought of "YOu have low levels so you should supplement" might be a harmful one. Or it might suggest that our concepts for what being "deficient" even means are fundamentally flawed.

Advertisement