Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

is_that_so wrote: »
    He has a Ph.D. in some form of nursing.

I hear he also has a Phd in spoofing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Typical. I had a blood analysis a two months ago (nothing to do with C19) and was found to have virtually no Vit D.

Had to start taking 4000iu of Vit D everyday. Now of course it is linked with better C19 survival rates so now I can't get any Vit D in the shops. Had to order online and restricted to one pack per person.

Fatty fish like salmon has loads of it. Cod liver oil is good too. And of course sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Typical. I had a blood analysis a two months ago (nothing to do with C19) and was found to have virtually no Vit D.

Had to start taking 4000iu of Vit D everyday. Now of course it is linked with better C19 survival rates so now I can't get any Vit D in the shops. Had to order online and restricted to one pack per person.

I ordered 6 packs of high strength from Boots the other day no problem. 3 for the price of 2 also. We have been taking them already for weeks but I'm thinking ahead to the winter with this purchase.

3 packs are for our family of 4 and the other packs are for our elderly parents.

ive been taking solgar 4000iu for the last few months and always do.
    I usually take it in a tablespoon of cod liver oil.
    I have all the usual stuff too so hopefully i'll be ok if I got it.

I watched a 90min lecture on the stuff last week (feck all else doing at the time).
    and toxicity has only even been recorded where the factoy have incorrectly messed up the dosage and people were taking 10's of 1000's of IU's or hundreds of micrograms.

It's stored in the liver unlike say Vit c which you can pee out as it's water soluble.
    I heard the professor saying that if you expose your face arms and legs in the sun, until they "blush", you're getting about 20,000IU's or thereabouts.
    The older you are the less you produce so you should go mad, if you can in the sun and get as much as you can.
    Vit D deficiency has links to depression also, so the elderly must really be given credit to stay sane as well as healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

If anyone is looking for Vitamin D tablets, these are great from Bulk Powders:

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/vitamin-d3-tablets-5000iu.html

I doubt you'll find anything stronger, it's relatively cheap and there's plenty of stock available.

I've used the site numerous times for supplements and they've always been spot on. Only last week I placed a large order and received it in 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Wondering if suncream reduces vitamin D production. Due to an unfortunate allergic reaction a few years back I now suffer from severe PMLE and have to cover up every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

circadian wrote: »
    Wondering if suncream reduces vitamin D production. Due to an unfortunate allergic reaction a few years back I now suffer from severe PMLE and have to cover up every day.

It does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

silverharp wrote: »
    your body wont make Vit D from 5pm Sun, the Sun needs to be above 50 degrees so this time of the year roughly 12pm to 2pm

50 Degrees Fahrenheit? That's 10 degrees Celsius and I was sitting in 12 degrees Celsius

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    50 Degrees Fahrenheit? That's 10 degrees Celsius and I was sitting in 12 degrees Celsius

angle , if your shadow is longer than you, then your body doesn't make Vit D , the relevant wavelengths get absorbed by the atmosphere. In Ireland that means after about the 25th April and 12pm-2pm at the moment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,684 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to apply a MASSSIVE correlation bias problem here.

The people that are dying are mostly old. Old people in general are more likely to have low Vit D levels anyway.

Doesn't mean there isn't a connection; just means there isn't guaranteed to be one.

• Advertisement

angle , if your shadow is longer than you, then your body doesn't make Vit D , the relevant wavelengths get absorbed by the atmosphere. In Ireland that means after about the 25th April and 12pm-2pm at the moment

Interesting. I'll get out earlier in it tomorrow

Have you any link that says similar? I'd like to read it

Interesting. I'll get out earlier in it tomorrow

Have you any link that says similar? I'd like to read it

I have an app on my phone, it amuses me that sometime in Sep it will say that's it til next April :pac::(

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That's interesting, I never heard of that.

I have an app on my phone, it amuses me that sometime in Sep it will say that's it til next April :pac::(

No I meant a link that says similar to what you said below. That Vitamin D intake from sunshine is dependent of the angle of the sun and time of day you sit in it
    angle , if your shadow is longer than you, then your body doesn't make Vit D , the relevant wavelengths get absorbed by the atmosphere

No I meant a link that says similar to what you said below. That Vitamin D intake from sunshine is dependent of the angle of the sun and time of day you sit in it

this seems a reasonable intro, its easy enough to find stuff on the net

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/1313-vitamin-d-and-uv
    What role does the Sun play in vitamin D production?
    Vitamin D is made when UV (more precisely, UVB rays) react with a compound (7-dehydrocholesterol) in the skin. The best rays for UV synthesis have wavelengths between 270–300 nm. These wavelengths are present when the UV index is greater than 3. The angle of the Sun above the horizon (at sea level) also affects the production of vitamin D because the atmosphere is thicker at lower angles and absorbs more UV. At angles greater than 45° above the horizon (at sea level), vitamin D production will be occurring, although some recent research suggests that vitamin D production may occur at angles as low as 30°. At higher altitudes, there is less (thinner) atmosphere to absorb UV from the Sun.

this seems a reasonable intro, its easy enough to find stuff on the net

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/1313-vitamin-d-and-uv

Interesting. I always just presumed sun on my face at any time of the day = a decent amount of Vitamin D

Interesting. I always just presumed sun on my face at any time of the day = a decent amount of Vitamin D

There has been other work but not Vit D related just general UV, it showed that even winter sun has health benefits, so still worth doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I'm inclined to wait until the WHO says that there's no evidence for it before lending credence to this piece of research.

I'm inclined to wait until the WHO says that there's no evidence for it before lending credence to this piece of research.

XSYY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

JimmyVik wrote: »
    It does

You gonna follow that authoritive answer up with some information or do I just take your word for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

you need to be allowing arms and face to get the sun between 11 am and 2 pm to get uvb to create vitamin d
    sun at low angles is way less potent for vitamin d ( but grand to burn you )

if your shadow is shorter than you, its a good time

but aside from vit D , sun exposure has a load of health benefits within reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

And for those of us still working, we don't get a chance to get out into the sun.

Had a mole removed and warned about the sun... I can't lock myself away, so I won't stay in the sun, but hoping just travelling to the shops and a little exposure might be enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That's interesting, I never heard of that.

Isn't midday sun the worst time to be out as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

you need to be allowing arms and face to get the sun between 11 am and 2 pm to get uvb to create vitamin d
    sun at low angles is way less potent for vitamin d ( but grand to burn you )

if your shadow is shorter than you, its a good time

but aside from vit D , sun exposure has a load of health benefits within reason

How long would you need to be out in the sun in tbose times to get enough Vit D?

Actually what is enough Vit D ,like 10 mins a day during optimum time be enough or is there a way to measure it effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Isn't midday sun the worst time to be out as well?

Yeah, you're supposed to avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm. But maybe that advice is part of the reason so many people don't have enough vitamin d? Definitely where I am though, during the summer you couldnt sit out for the required time without sunscreen and not be burned. I sit out first thing with my coffee and it works just fine. Last blood test showed a normal vitamin d level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You can get free vitamin d with some nice relaxation under the midday sun

you dont need hours and hours, something like 30min a couple of times a week is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

And for those of us still working, we don't get a chance to get out into the sun.

Had a mole removed and warned about the sun... I can't lock myself away, so I won't stay in the sun, but hoping just travelling to the shops and a little exposure might be enough.

I've had a mole removed too, and a couple of other scares. I have very fair skin and have been warned by my Dermatologist to wear sunscreen 365 days a year. I don't wear it though from about October-March, as I'm not really outside much, no longer than 10/15 mins at a time.
    I wear it for the rest of the year though. I also take a vitamin D supplement of 2200iu a day, along with 1000mg of vitamin C and a multivitamin. I come and go between other vitamins & supplements too, taking others as needed but not consistently.
    I do feel that the sun is important for health and has many benefits. But I have to be extremely careful due to my skin type & history.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I had severe vitamin D deficiency and it was not fun.

fb goups that helped me to improve my health:
    understanding vitamin d deficiency and treatment
    vitamin d deficiency uk - open discussion

I use an app to see when you can get vitamin D from the sun

good vitamin D (with no nasty fillers):
    I take 10000 a day

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitamin-D-D3-5000IU-Cholecalciferol-in-Olive-Oil-180-365-Softgels-NaturPlus/202334317039?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=503040626553&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Our GP told us years ago to take Vit D3 in the winter .We got lax taking it but the last three weeks we are taking 1000u D3 and also taking Vit C

Advertisement