Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

20 mins a day around noon isnt going to kill you , but if you have compromised skin i would stick with supplements

but just getting sun light onto you even with sunblock for UV is good for you for general health

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

wakka12 wrote: »
    You can get free vitamin d with some nice relaxation under the midday sun

Yeah that's a bit of a problem when most people are working indoors around midday on wards.

Anyway I run outdoors 5-6 times a week all year round spending up to 2-3 hours outside at a time in shorts and t shirts so I would have thought that would have exposed me to plenty of UV light. Apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Our GP told us years ago to take Vit D3 in the winter .We got lax taking it but the last three weeks we are taking 1000u D3 and also taking Vit C

I was reading about vit c supplements over the weekend and apparently they are useless and made from all sorts of fake crap- more harm than good.

Get your vitamin c from fruit- eat and apple and orange every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I was reading about vit c supplements over the weekend and apparently they are useless and made from all sorts of fake crap- more harm than good.

Get your vitamin c from fruit- eat and apple and orange every day.

or you can get vitamin C from home made fermented food, it is good for the gut health as well

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

I had severe vitamin D deficiency and it was not fun.

fb goups that helped me to improve my health:
    understanding vitamin d deficiency and treatment
    vitamin d deficiency uk - open discussion

I use an app to see when you can get vitamin D from the sun

good vitamin D (with no nasty fillers):
    I take 10000 a day

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitamin-D-D3-5000IU-Cholecalciferol-in-Olive-Oil-180-365-Softgels-NaturPlus/202334317039?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=503040626553&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Had a look at ebay. That product doesn't ship to Ireland. How did you manage to get it?

• Advertisement

OnYerPike wrote: »
    Had a look at ebay. That product doesn't ship to Ireland. How did you manage to get it?

parcelmotel or addresspal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

circadian wrote: »
    You gonna follow that authoritive answer up with some information or do I just take your word for it?

What do you want?

Simple question.
    Simple answer.
    Google it yourself if you are the one person in the world who doesnt know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

JimmyVik wrote: »
    What do you want?

Simple question.
    Simple answer.
    Google it yourself if you are the one person in the world who doesnt know the answer.

https://www.skincancer.org/blog/sun-protection-and-vitamin-d/

It appears that it doesn't.

There ye go, maybe you shouldn't answer simple questions with simple answers when you don't actually know.

circadian wrote: »
    https://www.skincancer.org/blog/sun-protection-and-vitamin-d/

It appears that it doesn't.

There ye go, maybe you shouldn't answer simple questions with simple answers when you don't actually know.

God you are hard work.

Up to you what you believe. You wanted an answer you got one earlier and got all pr1cky about it.

Cant help people who wont help themselves.

Think about this.
    How much Vitamin D are you going to get from being in the sun 20 minutes with factor 50 on you?
    Dont you think it might a hell of a lot less Vitamin D than if you didnt have factor 50 on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An Irish study

Vitamin D deficiency in Ireland – implications for COVID-19.
    Results from The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA)

https://tilda.tcd.ie/publications/reports/pdf/Report_Covid19VitaminD.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I have the suspicion that our ancestors werent dropping dead of skin cancer even though they would have spent a lot of time outdoors. There has to be additional environmental or dietary complications now. Obesity, using sun creams, using a lot of detergents on the skin which affect the Vit D process.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I have the suspicion that our ancestors werent dropping dead of skin cancer even though they would have spent a lot of time outdoors. There has to be additional environmental or dietary complications now. Obesity, using sun creams, using a lot of detergents on the skin which affect the Vit D process.

The pool of them living to an age where skin cancer is a factor would have been much smaller. Probably died a lot younger of hard work and other diseases that are curable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

JimmyVik wrote: »
    God you are hard work.

Up to you what you believe. You wanted an answer you got one earlier and got all pr1cky about it.

Cant help people who wont help themselves.

Think about this.
    How much Vitamin D are you going to get from being in the sun 20 minutes with factor 50 on you?
    Dont you think it might a hell of a lot less Vitamin D than if you didnt have factor 50 on you?

God help ye, hard work.

I wouldn't say asking you for a source on something is getting all pri1cky. If you're going to commit to an answer then when someone asks for more information a better response would be sources instead of basing nit off your own uninformed intuition and "simple question simple answer" tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

OnYerPike wrote: »

I wouldn't go near Ebay for nutrition, god knows that youre getting.

HP Nutrition in Kerry deliver next day. Have Solgar and Now vitamins, two of the best you can get, 4000 and 5000, or less if thats too much for you. Im on the Solgar 4000, and just ordered Now 5000 (better value and out of stock all the time).

One a day for the past 8 weeks and Ive too much energy, Im flat out with work, gym, walking the dog, doing the house up and only 4-5 hours sleep a night. They're unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Informative post, thanks

What app are you using? And what are "nasty fillers" in vitamins? I didn't know they had any

or you can get vitamin C from home made fermented food,it is good for the gut health as well

For example? Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Apparently vitamin k deficiency is linked to severe Covid 19.

Vitamin k also helps with the absorption of vitamin D along with magnesium...

But vitamin K also helps the blood to clot. Shouldn't we be avoiding vitamin k with a disease that can cause clotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I had severe vitamin D deficiency and it was not fun.

fb goups that helped me to improve my health:
    understanding vitamin d deficiency and treatment
    vitamin d deficiency uk - open discussion

I use an app to see when you can get vitamin D from the sun

good vitamin D (with no nasty fillers):
    I take 10000 a day

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitamin-D-D3-5000IU-Cholecalciferol-in-Olive-Oil-180-365-Softgels-NaturPlus/202334317039?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=503040626553&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That's a lot of Vit D. You can get too much of a good thing. Have you had your levels checked by a doctor?

But vitamin K also helps the blood to clot. Shouldn't we be avoiding vitamin k with a disease that can cause clotting.

I think you're overthinking it. And I say that as someone who does a lot of thinking about Covid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think you're overthinking it. And I say that as someone who does a lot of thinking about Covid

I probably am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's possible to develop toxicity to Vit D, so please be very careful. I take it, because I have MS but I get my bloods done regularly and check levels. Horsing high levels of it, without testing your levels can do more harm than good.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I wouldn't start supplementing Vit D3 without first having bloods done to check levels. Vit D toxicity is dangerous and can lead to hypercalcemia (too much calcium) as vit d pulls calcium into the blood and can lead to kidney stones

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6158375/

the recommended dose of Vit D3will depend on your blood levels

With regards Vit K there's K1 & K2. K1 is involved in blood clotting, K2 is the one that's aids absorbtion of Vit D3. Vit K2 can have side affects in some people, such as palpitations, so caution urged and consult a doctor first.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6158375/

Disclaimer: I'm not a medic but have used Vit D3 & K2 for many years wtih doctor's guidance for medical reasons and have bloods done annually to check levels.

Post crossed with byhookorbycrook but same message.

It's possible to develop toxicity to Vit D, so please be very careful. I take it, because I have MS but I get my bloods done regularly and check levels. Horsing high levels of it, without testing your levels can do more harm than good.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

MayoClinic's links seem dodgy at times. They seem to gear their SEO to get clicks from panicked people doing research

Take this example from that article

Taking 60,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day.

60 feckin' thousand?

That would mean taking 12 tablets a day of the very strong linked Ebay ons in this thread https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitamin-D-D3-5000IU-Cholecalciferol-in-Olive-Oil-180-365-Softgels-NaturPlus/202334317039?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=503040626553&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I would however watch your kidneys with any supplement like this. I'm just taking one 1,000 strength a day at the moment. I think - until I get my Vit D levels properly tested - I'll up it to only 2,000 strength

Hoboo wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near Ebay for nutrition, god knows that youre getting.

HP Nutrition in Kerry deliver next day. Have Solgar and Now vitamins, two of the best you can get, 4000 and 5000, or less if thats too much for you. Im on the Solgar 4000, and just ordered Now 5000 (better value and out of stock all the time).

One a day for the past 8 weeks and Ive too much energy, Im flat out with work, gym, walking the dog, doing the house up and only 4-5 hours sleep a night. They're unreal

I don't take any supplement with Magnesium Stearate.
    solgar supplements make me sick.

I actually take
    https://www.vitamaze.shop/en/buy-vitamin-d3-14000-high-strength

my boyfriend take the ebay vitamin D and the vitamin D level didn't drop
    which is your level?

Informative post, thanks

What app are you using? And what are "nasty fillers" in vitamins? I didn't know they had any

Magnesium stearate is one of them it is a lubricant and it makes me sick, it is not easy to find pills without it,it is everywhere

app is dminder

For example? Cheers

they are very easy to do, you can ferment any vegetables. You practically make a brine with mineral water and salt (30-40gr for liters)and you submerge the vegetable in a ikea jar. And then you wait. You have to keep submerged the veg all the time and keep them in a fresh and dark place.The fermented veg thanks to the lactic acid will start to be sour and fizzy. I usually ferment radish, small cucumber, cabbage, beetroot but any veg will do. you can find many video in youtube.
    My health improved a lot

Tropheus wrote: »
    That's a lot of Vit D. You can get too much of a good thing. Have you had your levels checked by a doctor?

the doctor didn't bother to check my vitamin D level so I checked it myself. I was very surprise that in Ireland, a country with little sunshine, it is not a routine to check for vitamin D.
    My doctor in USA told me that now vitamin D deficiency is getting very bad and they see many children with this deficiency and they have to give them very high dose to them in effort to raise their level. They think is the lifestyle and children spend too much time indoor. She is a an geneticist expert in metabolic disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Apparently vitamin k deficiency is linked to severe Covid 19.

Vitamin k also helps with the absorption of vitamin D along with magnesium...

Vitamin K2 is used for the absorption of Vitamin D, Vitamin K1 is the Vitamin K that clots the blood.

MayoClinic's links seem dodgy at times. They seem to gear their SEO to get clicks from panicked people doing research

Take this example from that article

60 feckin' thousand?

That would mean taking 12 tablets a day of the very strong linked Ebay ons in this thread https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitamin-D-D3-5000IU-Cholecalciferol-in-Olive-Oil-180-365-Softgels-NaturPlus/202334317039?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=503040626553&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I would however watch your kidneys with any supplement like this. I'm just taking one 1,000 strength a day at the moment. I think - until I get my Vit D levels properly tested - I'll up it to only 2,000 strength

For very severe case doctors prescribed 100.000 or 200 000 a day,they are injections not pills. You can have toxicity with this amount but nobody is taking 100 000 if there is not doctor that prescribe this amount of vitamin D

• Advertisement

Hi

Two questions for ya:
    • Which brand of high strength supplement and what dosage?
    • Is Vitamin D in Cod Liver Oil in good amounts?
    it depends what your level is, usually you can't get vitamin D from the food so much, you really need UVB light.
    did you already test your vitamin D level?you shoud test it every 3 months to see if you reach a good level

Advertisement