Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

they are very easy to do, you can ferment any vegetables. You practically make a brine with mineral water and salt (30-40gr for liters)and you submerge the vegetable in a ikea jar. And then you wait. You have to keep submerged the veg all the time and keep them in a fresh and dark place.The fermented veg thanks to the lactic acid will start to be sour and fizzy. I usually ferment radish, small cucumber, cabbage, beetroot but any veg will do. you can find many video in youtube.
    My health improved a lot

Though this can be good for you, Fermented Veg is very potent and easy to over do. I would never take it for improvement of Vitamin D. They can cause as much problems as they cure simply because they're easy to over do. Every few months there's a fad and this seems to be one of them, though they have benefits, Fermented veg should be really taken on a softly softly approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    For example? Cheers

fermented food is full of vitamin C, you really don't need to take any supplement.
    Scurvy killed Columbus's crew during his travel to America, it takes three months for a vitamin C deficiency develop in scurvy.

Fermented sauerkraut played an important role in helping prevent scurvy — an affliction known in its day as the scourge of the seas, responsible for an estimated two million deaths between 1500 and 1800 — on sailing ships around the world.
    You get more vitamin C from sauerkraut than just from cabbage

Unfortunately with vitamin D is more complicated. In places with little sunshine people used to eat a lot of fatty fish, but now many fish we buy is not wild but raise in farms

for example:

wild Pacific salmon had more than 500 IU of vitamin D per 3.5 oz serving, while farmed salmon had only 60 IU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't take any supplement with Magnesium Stearate.
    solgar supplements make me sick.

I actually take
    https://www.vitamaze.shop/en/buy-vitamin-d3-14000-high-strength

my boyfriend take the ebay vitamin D and the vitamin D level didn't drop
    which is your level?
    Interesting - that link is for a 14,000 iu tablet, and says take one every 14 days.

Not your ornery onager

rusty cole wrote: »
    Though this can be good for you, Fermented Veg is very potent and easy to over do. I would never take it for improvement of Vitamin D. They can cause as much problems as they cure simply because they're easy to over do. Every few months there's a fad and this seems to be one of them, though they have benefits, Fermented veg should be really taken on a softly softly approach.

vitamin D has nothing to do with fermented vegetables.... Fermented vegetables have been eating for very long time in east Europe. How do you think they survived the long winter with no tesco around and tons of snow?lol
    they still eat plenty of fermented food as you can see in Polish shop
    And honestly east European people look much more healthy then the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i take 5000iu a day
    bulkpowders.ie

vit d is fat soluble.
    it must be taken with a meal or prob not absorbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A good summary of some of the studies around this area (16min long)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

vitamin D has nothing to do with fermented vegetables.... Fermented vegetables have been eating for very long time in east Europe. How do you think they survived the long winter with no tesco around and tons of snow?lol
    they still eat plenty of fermented food as you can see in Polish shop
    And honestly east European people look much more healthy then the Irish.

you've just answered your own issue there. Easter Europeans have a high tolerance I imagine then, if as you say they've been eating it for a very long time.
    The same way about 80% of Asians cannot stomach the lactose in milk as it has only been introduced into their diet a hell of a lot later than say Europeans.
    The same way inuits can handle tons of very fatty food and yet their cholesterol seems ok with it, research has shown.

In terms of "looking healthier" well that's a complete matter of your opinion.
    what are the visible hallmarks of health in your mind?

rusty cole wrote: »
    you've just answered your own issue there. Easter Europeans have a high tolerance I imagine then, if as you say they've been eating it for a very long time.
    The same way about 80% of Asians cannot stomach the lactose in milk as it has only been introduced into their diet a hell of a lot later than say Europeans.
    The same way inuits can handle tons of very fatty food and yet their cholesterol seems ok with it, research has shown.

In terms of "looking healthier" well that's a complete matter of your opinion.
    what are the visible hallmarks of health in your mind?

In Ireland people drink beer..you know is a fermented beverage?
    Soda bread is made with buttermilk which is fermented.
    In every tradition there are fermented food that used to keep the gut healthy. Now people eat less and less this type of food and commercially food and drinks don't have the benefit of the ones home made.
    It is funny when people are criticised when suggesting to eat natural food (vegs)preserved though natural method (fermentation) meanwhile all around people drinks tons of soda and chocolate every day. If I drink a can of coke every day nobody say anything, but if I dare to eat fermented food, butter or even bacon every day so many people are worry about my health! lol I can't believe how people have been so brainwashed.
    Yes I believe we have different options about what health is and we can't really learn anything from each other so we agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I wonder though is this just down to the fact that the majority of those who got very sick were also likely to be quite elderly or infirm and may not have been going outside as much?

I'm always wary about these early correlation type statements that have no real ability to show causation. You get them a lot in dietary type stuff.

I mean if you take our climate, we are adapted to it. I wouldn't go out of my way to suggest that Irish people are all low in Vit D.
    That's why many of us tend to fry in even sightly sunnier climes. Relatively little UV and we produce adequate vitamin D in most cases, but obviously it does impact some of us more than others depending on your skin type and ability to produce it in low light.

One aspect that does concern me though is people plastering themselves in sunblock with notions that it's anti-aging in a region that gets very little sunlight much of the year.

I know quite a few people who'd wear SPF all year here, and I would say some of that research is more likely to be appropriate in California or the South of France.

Obviously take care of your skin, and avoid skin cancer, but some of this anti-aging stuff gets a bit ridiculous as you might be getting very little sun exposure anyway.

To me it looks like the Coronavirus just follows the lines of what you'd expect it to follow - international flight traffic, notably long distance business travel type stuff. So, you've had outbreaks everywhere and particular hotspots in Western Europe, North America, parts of Asia and lighter outbreaks in places that aren't those kinds of nexuses of that kind of traffic.

Also tourism traffic will have played a huge role - Spain for example being one of the most visited places in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.24.20075838v1

It would be ridiculous to suggest that Vitamin D cures COVID-19. But it does appear that people who get it and have Vitamin D deficiency are much more likely to have a severe case. People who ended up in the ICU were more likely to have Vitamin D deficiency than the less severe cases, and all of the patients under 75 years of age who had to go to ICU were Vitamin D deficient

Low vitamin D is common amongst a broad range of chronic diseases and our levels drop as we age. It's a marker for early mortality. It's more likely a result of disease rather than the cause .
    There are thousands of papers linking vitamin d to everything under the sun.

Only one surety, low vitamin D is a bad sign. By the way there is no evidence that supplementing with vitamin D will improve health unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

maninasia wrote: »
    Low vitamin D is common amongst a broad range of chronic diseases and our levels drop as we age. It's a marker for early mortality. It's more likely a result of disease rather than the cause .
    There are thousands of papers linking vitamin d to everything under the sun.

Only one surety, low vitamin D is a bad sign. By the way there is no evidence that supplementing with vitamin D will improve health unfortunately.
    :D

Not your ornery onager

Xertz wrote: »
    I wonder though is this just down to the fact that the majority of those who got very sick were also likely to be quite elderly or infirm and may not have been going outside as much?

I'm always wary about these early correlation type statements that have no real ability to show causation. You get them a lot in dietary type stuff.

I mean if you take our climate, we are adapted to it. I wouldn't go out of my way to suggest that Irish people are all low in Vit D.
    That's why many of us tend to fry in even sightly sunnier climes. Relatively little UV and we produce adequate vitamin D in most cases, but obviously it does impact some of us more than others depending on your skin type and ability to produce it in low light.

One aspect that does concern me though is people plastering themselves in sunblock with notions that it's anti-aging in a region that gets very little sunlight much of the year.

I know quite a few people who'd wear SPF all year here, and I would say some of that research is more likely to be appropriate in California or the South of France.

Obviously take care of your skin, and avoid skin cancer, but some of this anti-aging stuff gets a bit ridiculous as you might be getting very little sun exposure anyway.

To me it looks like the Coronavirus just follows the lines of what you'd expect it to follow - international flight traffic, notably long distance business travel type stuff. So, you've had outbreaks everywhere and particular hotspots in Western Europe, North America, parts of Asia and lighter outbreaks in places that aren't those kinds of nexuses of that kind of traffic.

Also tourism traffic will have played a huge role - Spain for example being one of the most visited places in the world.

Irish people have the right skin for Irish climate. Black people come from Africa and white people come from places with less sunshine for a reason. Irish people adapted to the environment but in the past they used to spend more time outdoor. Now many of them spend all day long in office where they can't even open the windows. And when they get out it is too late for vitamin D. Also they spend lots of time indoor at the computer at home. Their sport is in an indoor gym. My american doctor told me they see severe case of deficiency in children in USA for the first time. Children spend too much time indoor and don't play outside. Also there are many immigrants that can't absorb the vitamin D in Ireland because they have too dark skin. Also going to live to Australia when a person have a very white skin can be dangerous because that type of skin is not suitable for strong sunshine.
    If you live in Ireland and you are a farmer or you work in a construction site you probably don't have any problem with vitamin D. But if you are in office all day long you might have some problem and vitamin D deficiency signs are not recognise by doctors so they can give you the wrong treatment.
    To understand if we have deficiency a part the fact that we don't feel well, we always can do a blood test. But doctors here in Ireland and not only in Ireland never prescribe this blood test, you have to do it privately. I know personally two persons that had depression and an autoimmune disorder that after many years got better only because they raised their vitamin D level. For so many years they were sick and no one doctor tested their vitamin D level

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20058578v3

(STUDY FINDS) -- EVANSTON, Ill. — A new study conducted at Northwestern University concludes that vitamin D may be an essential ingredient to protecting oneself from the coronavirus. The research team discovered a strong correlation between vitamin D deficiencies and mortality rates.

According to the study, the lower the vitamin D levels present in a patient’s body, the more likely that person will develop severe symptoms and complications.

Don't mind your facemasks, throw on the birthday suits and smother yourself in good old Sunshine.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

TLDR; Trinty professors say take Vitamin D and it may reduce covid complications

According to this article published a few hours ago, there is a strong correlation between vitamin D levels with twice the likely hood of bad covid 19 complications.

Two trinity professors are suggesting to the government to instruct the population to increase Vitamin D. They recently completed a very large study on aging, and one of the data sets they had was vitamin D levels across large populations.

Northwestern university from US found similar. England, Scotland and wales health representatives also suggest increasing Vitamin D.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-adults-should-take-vitamin-d-researchers-say-1.4250588

I read another from china that showed a correlation between selenium levels too. So i make sure to get my appropriate dosage each day now.

Maybe its rubbish, or maybe a little change like this will help some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This information has been in the public domain for about 2 months.

My OH is a Dietician and they have been recommending VitD supplements right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

_Brian wrote: »
    This information has been in the public domain for about 2 months.

My OH is a Dietician and they have been recommending VitD supplements right from the start.

I had no idea. I've not heard it discussed at all. Was there anything you came across that was worth reading on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Is Vitamin C not the one for viruses?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ShareShare wrote: »
    I had no idea. I've not heard it discussed at all. Was there anything you came across that was worth reading on it?

It’s something that was widely discussed among frontline nutrition staff for sure. Having said that we would take VitD supplements over the winter period anyway as it’s just not possible to get enough sunlight.

It’s a possible reason why Black patients have raised worse outcomes as their Vit D levels would often be lower due to skin pigmentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Selenium is only need in small amounts. Couple of Brazil nuts every couple of days. Will boost the immune system but won't prevent you catching and spreading the virus, but may help you fight it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Once the vaccine is brought in the better.

Vitamins are good for you but its not going to stop the virus getting to someone who has a weak immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

mikeym wrote: »

Vitamins are good for you but its not going to stop the virus getting to someone who has a weak immune system.

Vitamin D is fundamental to the function of the immune system

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

I would encourage everyone to read the actual source material instead of what is essentially a fluff piece in the IT:
    http://imj.ie/irish-medical-journal-may-2020-vol-113-no-5-vitamin-d-debate/

Also, probably not the place to complain about it but I hate when newspapers report on stuff like this and don't include a link to the journal article (which may be behind a paywall anyway but that's a whole other rant!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

mikeym wrote: »

Depends how they achieved a weak immune system. If it is chips and bread for dinner, and Mars and tayto washed down with Ribena for lunch, then there are quicker ways to avoid a poor outcome from a respiratory illness.

Vitamin D seems to be trending on Twitter in Ireland. An idea floated is that your Vit D status could be a go back to work marker from some people, the cause and effect doesn't matter in this case

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

silverharp wrote: »
    Vitamin D seems to be trending on Twitter in Ireland. An idea floated is that your Vit D status could be a go back to work marker from some people, the cause and effect doesn't matter in this case
    An idea floated on Twitter? That's a good plan for sure.

is_that_so wrote: »
    An idea floated on Twitter? That's a good plan for sure.

I know there is sarcasm in there somewhere but can you unpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

silverharp wrote: »
    I know there is sarcasm in there somewhere but can you unpack?
    Twitter tends not to be a barometer of much apart from today's trend. Good ideas is not something I would associate with it but there are a myriad of ideas magnified by it.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Twitter tends not to be a barometer of much apart from today's trend. Good ideas is not something I would associate with it but there are a myriad of ideas magnified by it.

Twitter is turning into a global brain , and like any brain you get some randomness in there too

Advertisement